Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

joat mon posted:

First ship of the Kissinger class, with sister ships Gallagher, Behenna, Golsteyn, Lorance, and Calley.

USS Robert E. Lee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

USS Robert E. Lee

Already exists.

Also a ship named after a prominent segregationist.

See the wall of text above for those tidbits.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Already exists.

Also a ship named after a prominent segregationist.

See the wall of text above for those tidbits.

Yep, that was the joke. Only thought of it when you posted it

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

FMguru posted:

Spoken like someone who never sat next to him at an official state banquet

:rip: Miyazawa Kiichi

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cyrano4747 posted:

. . . of course now we just named a CVN after an enlisted man who won the medal of honor so time to add another set of exceptions and see whether this becomes a whole new thing or if it becomes a new parenthetical where we have to explain the hyper-partisan political scene in 2020, the Trump administration, and growing discomfort with naming carriers after recent presidents who happen to only be from one party.

Dorie Miller didn't get the Medal of Honor, he got the Navy Cross.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

McNally posted:

Dorie Miller didn't get the Medal of Honor, he got the Navy Cross.

My bad. Of loving course they gave him a navy cross.

I’m surprised it wasn’t revisited sometime since then.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Minelayers and Minesweepers named so you wouldn't get confused:
USS Trapper, USS Barricade, USS Bastion, USS Obstructor, USS Annoy, USS Palisade, USS Defense, USS Detector, USS Bulwark, USS Guide.

Pretty Cool Minesweeper Names
Most of the bird ones, USS Adroit, USS Daring, USS Engage, US Fierce, USS Swift, USS Pioneer, USS Pursuit, USS Seer, USS Skill, USS Swerve, USS Admirable, USS Arcade, USS Aspire, USS Augury, USS Captivate, USS Compel, USS Deft, USS Disdain, USS Hilarity, USS Knave, USS Gallant, USS Spear, USS Nimble, USS Saunter, HMS Friendship, USS Lucid, USS Acme.

Minesweepers and Mine Countermeasures ships named things too cool, presumably to screw with enemy intelligence:
USS Revenge, USS Sentinel, USS Alchemy, USS Armada, USS Assail, USS Bombard, USS Elusive and USS Illusive, USS Execute, USS Fancy, USS Impervious, USS Invade, USS Peril, USS Phantom, USS Pirate, USS Ransom, USS Sentry, USS Specter, USS Champion, USS Devastator, USS Gladiator, USS Triumph, USS Fearless, USS Impervious, USS Reaper, USS Liberator, USS Gorgan, USS Terror.

Minesweepers named other navy words presumably to make things confusing to enemy intelligence:
USS Armada, USS Pilot, USS Tide, USS Buoyant, USS Report, USS Security, USS Skipper, USS Chief.

Minesweepers with ties to the kink scene:
USS Firm, USS Force, USS Climax, USS Control, USS Penetrate, USS Dominant, USS Endurance, HMS Cuckoo.

piL fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 20, 2020

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

If Miller is the new format then CVN-82 needs to be the USS Ernest E. Evans

Bonus points for being 3/4ths Cherokee/Creek.

For those not familiar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_off_Samar#USS_Johnston

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Can I captain USS annoy please

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cyrano4747 posted:

Carriers: here's where poo poo gets weird. Technically they were seen as a form of cruiser (hence the "C" in "CV" - the V being a french word for flight or aviation or something.)

The French word for "aviation" is "aviation". It was actually coined by a French guy in 1863, in this book which is worth looking at even if just for the hilarious illustration of a steam-powered helicopter.

The word for "flight" is "vol", that's your V-word for CV.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

USS Penetrate

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

piL posted:

USS Trapper, USS Barricade, USS Bastion, USS Obstructor, USS Annoy, USS Palisade, USS Defense, USS Detector, USS Bulwark, USS Guide.

Most of the bird ones, USS Adroit, USS Daring, USS Engage, US Fierce, USS Swift, USS Pioneer, USS Pursuit, USS Seer, USS Skill, USS Swerve, USS Admirable, USS Arcade, USS Aspire, USS Augury, USS Captivate, USS Compel, USS Deft, USS Disdain, USS Hilarity, USS Knave, USS Gallant, USS Spear, USS Nimble, USS Saunter, HMS Friendship, USS Lucid, USS Acme.

Minesweepers and Mine Countermeasures ships named things too cool, presumably to screw with enemy intelligence:
USS Revenge, USS Sentinel, USS Alchemy, USS Armada, USS Assail, USS Bombard, USS Elusive and USS Illusive, USS Execute, USS Fancy, USS Impervious, USS Invade, USS Peril, USS Phantom, USS Pirate, USS Ransom, USS Sentry, USS Specter, USS Champion, USS Devastator, USS Gladiator, USS Triumph, USS Fearless, USS Impervious, USS Reaper, USS Liberator, USS Gorgan, USS Terror.

Minesweepers named other navy words presumably to make things confusing to enemy intelligence:
USS Armada, USS Pilot, USS Tide, USS Buoyant, USS Report, USS Security, USS Skipper, USS Chief.

USS Firm, USS Force, USS Climax, USS Control, USS Penetrate, USS Dominant, USS Endurance, HMS Cuckoo.

Welp now I have "USS" permanently seared into my retinas very interesting post though, thanks!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Terrifying Effigies posted:

If Miller is the new format then CVN-82 needs to be the USS Ernest E. Evans

Bonus points for being 3/4ths Cherokee/Creek.

For those not familiar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_off_Samar#USS_Johnston

This new format is good.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

That Works posted:

USS Penetrate

Named after the Bureau of Personnel.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

piL posted:

Named after the Bureau of Personnel.

:vince:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

piL posted:

This made me read about minesweepers and I didn't realize many of them were built with wooden hulls to reduce magnetic signature. Makes a bit more sense with the LCS supposedly taking over minesweeping that one class of them has an aluminum hull.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Nebakenezzer posted:

So what should the USN name after Nixon?

A brig.

McNally posted:

Counterpoints: HMS Buttercup, Pansy, Cockchafer, Broke, Spanker, Dainty, Griper, Happy Entrance, Candytuft, Honeysuckle, Wallflower

HMS Broke, while sounding unfortunate, was named after a British pioneer in naval gunnery, Sir Philip Broke. While in command of HMS Shannon, he trained his gun crews to concentrate all fire on a specific point of an enemy vessel and this was used to devastating effect in Shannon's famous duel against USS Chesapeake.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 20, 2020

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh, and if you want some added insanity, at one point there were people very, very concerned over whether airplanes in naval service needed serial numbers, hull numbers, or names. Remember, this is pre-WW1 when they were still a novelty and no one really had any idea how many we'd have. There was a push to have them recognized as literal ships of the air and get "hull numbers" (rather than the mere serial numbers a common piece of equipment might receive) and actual names.

I've learned that the US Navy and Glen Curtiss mashed their hatred of intelligible nomenclature together, which is why the NC [Navy Curtiss] series of flying boats is NC-1 through 4, where the numbers are individual airframes.

Also:

quote:

USS Los Angeles (ID-1470), a tanker in commission from 1917 to 1919
USS Los Angeles (ZR-3), an airship in commission from 1924 to 1932
USS Los Angeles (CA-135), a heavy cruiser in commission from 1945 to 1963
USS Los Angeles (SSN-688), a submarine in commission from 1976 to 2010

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Fearless posted:

HMS Broke, while sounding unfortunate, was named after a British pioneer in naval gunnery, Sir Philip Broke. While in command of HMS Shannon, he trained his gun crews to concentrate all fire on a specific point of an enemy vessel and this was used to devastating effect in Shannon's famous duel against USS Chesapeake.

In the naval battle of Guadalcanal there's a RN cruiser captain named Coward.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

In the naval battle of Guadalcanal there's a RN cruiser captain named Coward.

There was a US destroyer commanded by a captain Coward at Leyte Gulf. The part in Surigao Strait, not the part off Samar the next day everyone knows about.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh, and if you want some added insanity, at one point there were people very, very concerned over whether airplanes in naval service needed serial numbers, hull numbers, or names. Remember, this is pre-WW1 when they were still a novelty and no one really had any idea how many we'd have. There was a push to have them recognized as literal ships of the air and get "hull numbers" (rather than the mere serial numbers a common piece of equipment might receive) and actual names.

This was also part of a dick waving contest between the Army and the Navy over who should have command of the airplanes. Is an airplane basically a scouting apparatus, the logical extension of the hard charging cavalry tradition? Or is it a ship of the skies, part of the noble tradition of seafarers and explorers pushing into spheres of creation not made for man? A man or a horse are terrestrial creatures operating in their native habitat, but a man in a boat or airship (emphasis on "ship") is a daredevil dependent on the ingenuity of man to not drown/fall to his death.

This inter-branch dick waving is also a sneak preview of what happens later when missiles happen. Is a missile just very long range artillery or a pilot-less airplane? If it's artillery then the Army should get it, but if it's an airplane it's more of a USAF thing or maybe USN too I guess.

THEN some rear end in a top hat realizes that helicopters can be used for combat and we have the whole argument about whether it's an airplane (domain of the USAF) or basically a fancy truck / horse / cavalry analog. (Army). We already have airborne soldiers, but if they ride helicopters to where they're going should the pilots be USAF? Oh and technically we still have cavalry . . . what if an army guy rode a helicopter into combat and shot at his foes from it? Basically like horseback harassing of a larger formation, right?

To be honest this makes the systems we got seem downright straightforward and reasonable, given the circumstances.

(The '50s buzz codes are probably my favorite, just for the purported rationale of their creation.)

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 20, 2020

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

The HMS Dreadnought is still the best ship name ever, closely following it is Sinky II
:colbert:

Ed: this also might be because I played a poo poo ton of Star Control as a teen.

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 20, 2020

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So I updated the OP a bit. One resource I added was a image blog, and it had the latest illustration by the blogger:

Which is nice and all, but he had a link to a shop where you could put that image, minus the text, on lots of things - including shower curtains.

I think we all know what to do

Other images: let's SLAM this bitch

God, what a terrible illustration, the person in the photo would be dead if all that fissile material was stacked like that:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Keep in mind, those three dots are from a *Poseidon*-equipped sub.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Mortabis posted:

State names should be reserved for the most important vessels like they were with battleships.

I’d argue the real backbone of the Navy has been the subs for a long time. At least in any offensive capacity.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Trident about doubles the yield.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Found this map dated 1972 about from what I can tell is a Polish battleplan/nuclear attack map?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Trident about doubles the yield.

Assuming the D-5s are all carrying W76-1s and not W88s.

The W76-2 is somehow scarier than both, though - simply because its much smaller yield means there's a higher likelihood of it being employed in a 'Prompt Global Strike' capacity.

"It's ~only~ five kilotons! Stop being such a pussy!"

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I misspoke earlier, the Wild Wings thing was duffelblog, not onion.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I haven't seen this video about the Sprint missile yet, and given the thread's hard-on for it, it's definitely pro-click as it shows *failed* launches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk9mvLFNqMQ

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I wasn’t even strictly referring to boomers. The LAs and the Virginias would be by far those most dangerous element of the US surface fleet. Only like a quarter of the Burkes even have Harpoons; most don’t have any meaningful AShM at all unless you count the handful of SM-6. The Harpoon also isn’t a terribly impressive missile even launched from F-18s. This is part of the reason LRASM is a big deal the past 3-4 years.

I feel like naming SSNs after states/cities is pretty justified in that sense.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 20, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The British navy was in a similarly sorry state in the late 19th century. When you haven't fought a surface action in 60 years stuff like firepower eventually falls pretty far down on the list of priorities.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Reminder that USS Constitution is the only active USN ship to sink an enemy in combat.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

A little late but I just wanted to say thanks for this effortpost, that's some interesting stuff about how conventions have changed! Fish names need to be brought back, damnit.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I haven't seen this video about the Sprint missile yet, and given the thread's hard-on for it, it's definitely pro-click as it shows *failed* launches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk9mvLFNqMQ

The one that does a single corkscrew and then slams into the ground is great.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

...annd Sprint.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Found this map dated 1972 about from what I can tell is a Polish battleplan/nuclear attack map?

This is wild. Any more details?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

For starters, who taped over the inevitable Swedish air attack?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dante80 posted:

For starters, who taped over the inevitable Swedish air attack?

One of my favorite quotes by someone in the last version of this thread was "Sweden will fight to the last Finn!" In reference to fighting the USSR.

Still cracks me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

In this case, Denmark takes the prize..:v: