Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
My god Sex Education is so drat good. Why everyone is raving about it I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Bah, was phonepostin’ on line at a grocery store. My bad.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sleeveless posted:

I enjoyed it at the time but them continuously mining the one good campaign they did as if its an actual epic story worthy of being lovingly adapted across multiple media formats and not some guys telling jokes as they mash pop culture up with D&D and getting a little too into it is only more depressing considering how bad every campaign they've done since then has been. Without the lowered expectations of being a dumb comedy show by guys who never played the game before they wouldn't have been able to sneak actual pathos into it under everyone's defenses and now that they're actively trying to craft more epic storylines they never do actual jokes anymore and instead the DM just monologues exposition for most of the show.

I can't begrudge them being so enamoured with the idea of creating their own original fiction when all the rest of their extended family content mill is just riffing on and reacting to other things but they really can't put that lightning back in the bottle.
Agreed 100% which is why after they landed on doing Amnesty, I listened for about 5 episodes and dropped it altogether only to return for every live show, which all seem to hearken back to the good poo poo that they no longer want to do. I ain't even talking about the fact they use Balance characters each time, I just mean they're actually funny.

Plus, why the gently caress can't they just let Justin DM for once.

In any case, I have high hopes for the show and as much as I hope they keep Griffin's best voices and characters, I also hope they keep Griffin's best music. Dude straight up talented the poo poo out of that music.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 18, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DaveKap posted:

Agreed 100% which is why after they landed on doing Amnesty, I listened for about 5 episodes and dropped it altogether only to return for every live show, which all seem to hearken back to the good poo poo that they no longer want to do. I ain't even talking about the fact they use Balance characters each time, I just mean they're actually funny.

Plus, why the gently caress can't they just let Justin DM for once.

In any case, I have high hopes for the show and as much as I hope they keep Griffin's best voices and characters, I also hope they keep Griffin's best music. Dude straight up talented the poo poo out of that music.

yeah I stopped after the balance arc, listened to a few pods after the end of that(ABSOLUTELY listen to the making-of/behind the scenes if you haven't, it's fascinating as hell) but I have so many other podcasts to listen to and the newer stuff just didn't capture that same magic. With TBA, they were at the bottom of the mountain and only had to climb. After TBA, they were at the summit, and it felt like the only way left was down. I'm guessing they've never really bottled that lightning again since then.

and for sure, the music griffin made for TBA was crazy good. Like, this was for the climax of the fabulous death game show arc, and it's so drat good both for it and in general
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zplIPSgiohA

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Holy loving poo poo is anyone watching evil? cause the ending to the latest episode went from 3 to 11 balls to wall insane, depending on your interpretation of things.
As I was watching that last scene I jokingly thought “it would be funny if he were talking to a literal demon”.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

“Is quite before you fried me”

Medical Police has murdered me several times.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The card playing scene had me in tears.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNXq7NYpKkk

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Djarum posted:

My god Sex Education is so drat good. Why everyone is raving about it I have no idea.

You just answer your own question! :haw: Sorry couldn't resist

Asa Butterfield is the best the Smash community has to offer. Kid can act, goddamn.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ignis posted:

You just answer your own question! :haw: Sorry couldn't resist

Asa Butterfield is the best the Smash community has to offer. Kid can act, goddamn.

Ncuti Gatwa consistently gives amazing performances in a show full of amazing actors. How he hasn’t been given a big role in something yet is beyond me.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah I stopped after the balance arc, listened to a few pods after the end of that(ABSOLUTELY listen to the making-of/behind the scenes if you haven't, it's fascinating as hell) but I have so many other podcasts to listen to and the newer stuff just didn't capture that same magic. With TBA, they were at the bottom of the mountain and only had to climb. After TBA, they were at the summit, and it felt like the only way left was down. I'm guessing they've never really bottled that lightning again since then.
Dunno if you ended up listening to the test run stories Travis and Clint did but they were worth it just for the ways Justin and Griffin save them from being purely boring. One of those "diamonds in the very, very rough" kinda things. I want to say I listened to the behind the scenes but I have bad memory.

Hey so, thread, what ever was the consensus on Ozark? I've heard completely opposite opinions about it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ozark is the most average television show of all time

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
im sad mindhunters is dead

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You season 2 is just as good as season 1 imo

Not quite as batshit insane, but it has more characters that are interesting

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Ozark is worth watching just for Julia Garner's performance.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ted and Stella had zero chemistry and she would’ve made a terrible oh poo poo we're getting cancelled SHE'S THE MOTHER back up mother

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
For All Mankind on the Apple service is really good

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's Joe Pera is incredibly sad.

Like, REALLY sad.

Also a really weird bit when Sara starts talking to the camera.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 19, 2020

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Calaveron posted:

Ted and Stella had zero chemistry and she would’ve made a terrible oh poo poo we're getting cancelled SHE'S THE MOTHER back up mother

The baker lady (Victoria?) should've been the fallback mother, and I think was early on.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

howe_sam posted:

The baker lady (Victoria?) should've been the fallback mother, and I think was early on.

Yeah the back up mothers were Victoria, Stella, and Zoey (the lady who had the obsession with the movie theater) and only Victoria had good chemistry with Ted

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I only watched the pilot just now but the show Everything's Gonna Be OK seems pretty good. It's on Hulu from freeform so expect it to be at least a little sappy. But it's good! It did not suffer from pilotitis imo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

So I only watched the pilot just now but the show Everything's Gonna Be OK seems pretty good. It's on Hulu from freeform so expect it to be at least a little sappy. But it's good! It did not suffer from pilotitis imo.

Yeah I’m quite enjoying it so far. Glad only the pilot is that length though. The writing for the autistic girl is very good.

Just finished rewatching TVIV’s #1 show of 2019 Chernobyl and it really is a fantastic piece of work. Maybe I should have put it in my top 10

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Croatoan posted:

I watched the 3 episodes on Hulu yesterday and I was pretty impressed. The writing on the third episode took a dramatic improvement which hopefully means it will keep getting better.

I also started Daybreak finally yesterday. I am almost done but man what an inconsistent show. There are incredible high points and someone in that writing room was way, way better than everyone else and it showed. I am not a fan of a lot of the choices made seemingly at random at the end of the season but plot changes done with no foreshadowing or really any logic behind them happened throughout the show. It's a shame because the base concept and material is strong and the cast was talented.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kinda disappointed that Castle Rock didn't get more love, but it's understandable - the first season was fine, but largely unremarkable, and I only even checked out the second season out of curiosity. I'm glad I did, though, because it turned out to be one of the better horror shows I've seen in years. Also a really stellar ensemble cast. I doubt we'll get a third season because loving no one watched it, but it deserves to at least get some amount of recognition.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, that was for The Terror and it was Phantogram’s singer, Sarah Barthel. This must have been around 2012-2013? That album is such a complete 180° from all their other stuff and it just reeks of “I’ve hosed everything up” nihilistic desperation. I saw them on that same tour and it was just exhausting and depressing. Prior shows had been this joyous, almost life-affirming party that reveled in naive happiness. On the Terror tour he even did dour renditions of older songs in the style of the new album and it just loving sucked. And I get it, you’re an artist so of course you’re gonna use your art to try and explore and vent that pain, but it’s just not an enjoyable experience for the audience.

I mean good on the guy if he’s found peace in some way with his new life, but it all just seems like an extended breakdown and nothing he’s put out since has had any real substance to it. Peace Sword was solid but it’s no Embryonic or Soft Bulletin. Oczy Mlody was completely forgettable and felt like a vanity project for him and his other musician friends.

No artist has to be good forever, as I get older I'm more okay with artists who you just kind of stop paying attention to, their life's best works before them.

Rocksicles posted:

You should see the cooking threads when anyone brings up Claire vs Brad on Bon Appétit, which is ridiculous. Everyone loves Brad.

Versus? Why would such a discussion ever come of, they're both obviously delightful.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Khanstant posted:

No artist has to be good forever, as I get older I'm more okay with artists who you just kind of stop paying attention to, their life's best works before them.

Versus? Why would such a discussion ever come of, they're both obviously delightful.

There are some broken people out there/

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Ted and Robin were just terrible together weren’t they? Like absolute dogshit

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have to say, I love the setup on Avenue 5 the grav plating hosed up, tossing everyone to one side of the ship, and that mass shifting knocks the ship a fraction of a degree off course which changes the travel time from 5 weeks to 3 years.

They seem to be leaning into ignorance of those in power and the idea if they say something enough times it's going to be true no matter what the reality is. It's much better than the previews seemed to make it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had no doubt it would be solid based on cast and crew, and enjoyed the first episode a lot. I think I watched the trailer ages ago but I tend to not let too much sink in from previews.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ray Donovan’s season 7 finale was tonight, and it’s an impressive show insofar as it gets more and more depressing every single year.

It’s a great show, but my god, it’s so depressing. Nobody is allowed to be happy on there. It’s the best work of Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight’s careers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The season was rough in the middle but yet another great finale. Enough loose ends that I hope it gets one more to wrap it up.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Gonz posted:

Jon Voight

Eww

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvuUTbn_uWs&t=74s

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That Avenue Five pilot was loving aces. I'm super excited for an Inanucci take on Lord Of The Flies / The Mist. Hell, Rebecca Front's character is straight up Mrs. Carmody from the latter. Loved the look of the thing too -- reminds me of Legion -- and pretty happy with the practical effects too. Really happy to see Lenora Chrictlow and Nikki-Amura Bird getting more prominent attention these days.

My only complaint was that it's more drama-comedy than comedy-drama at this stage, so the half hour run time makes things feel a little slight.

(Oh and also the time delay joke, which can go hang)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Calaveron posted:

Ted and Robin were just terrible together weren’t they? Like absolute dogshit

The show got them together then broke them up so many times that it strained belief they would successfully make a go of it twenty years later. I do wonder if the ending would've worked better if they had been more upfront about the big twist, and that the show wasn't about finding love, but moving on after loss.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I enjoyed Avenue 5 and 68 Whiskey, also wasn't unimpressed with Cobra. I'm super keen for October Faction in a couple of days, and Picard looks like something i might enjoy.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I think I'm actually gonna pay for CBS All Access just because of Picard. smdh at myself

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm having a Picard watch party Saturday.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I am really really REALLY enjoying The Outsider. It's coming off like True Detective season 1 but it's actually going there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Avenue 5 was pretty bad, with discount Jack Black being the worst of the bunch.