Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

Utgard Turn 2

Well, bugger.

This is the sort of stuff that wins you fans in the LP. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The parable of the militiaman was obviously pretenderist propaganda, meant to smear the brave antidominionist defenders of non-aligned lands.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Tuna-Fish posted:

Also not made clear in this picture is that as they have no magic paths, they are not affected by drain/magic scales.

What do drain scales do? And if it's great that these guys aren't affected by them, it seems like it would be commensurately bad that your other mages are, so why isn't that a problem?

Also, goddamn. The militia finally score one, but you know they're gonna go home and everyone's just gonna be like "drat, dude, you punched out a fat lady? that's hosed up, work on your rage issues bro". It's just not the same without Colossal Stone Head

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
They are so cheap and you can recruit 3 a turn instead of 3 every two turns for normal mages, and then they can have research boosters which are also not affected by drain scales. So you can take a big bless for your giants and still get really drat good research. Then you can take all your normal mages and use them for actually useful stuff like killing more things. In a test game I was able to get construction 6 before the end of year 2, which is where you get lightless lanterns and can really take off in research from there.

Oh, drain scaled make all other mages get -3 to research, but they are also super helpful since when fighting in your own dominion they will give all of your troops +3 resist magic.

Washout fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 20, 2020

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, if drain scales removed magic paths that'd suck, but they only remove RP from non-drain resistant mages with paths (which, let's be fair, are most of them). The extra magic resist is very cool too, and makes the giants even tougher because spells are usually the way one takes out those dudes.

Besides, magic should be the sole realm of the divine, and not in the hands of fallible mortals :colbert:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

CommissarMega posted:

Militiaman pretender god chassis when?

"Having become province defense, there is nothing left to aspire to but Godhood."

Akratic Method posted:

What do drain scales do? And if it's great that these guys aren't affected by them, it seems like it would be commensurately bad that your other mages are, so why isn't that a problem?

Generally Drain scales make you lose the game, really, because they set you back in terms of research. Of course, it varies a lot per nation how bad it is. For instance, Mictlan relying mostly on many small researchers with Drain 3 may as well go home and think about their life. Niefelheim that has fewer, bigger, researching ladies, it might not hurt as badly. And some nations, like MA Ulm and LA Man have explicitly nothing but drain-resisting researchers, so for them it's a very obvious pick.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

Utgard Turn 2

Hi, you don't need to use timg for all you images - there is forum magic that'll keep them from breaking tables now. Also it's a little tedious having to click each one :)

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Hmmm...

"Regeneration is for suckers kids!"

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Does drain affect anything other than research? Does it make spells cast in that dominion weaker, for example? Drain fatigue from casters at a faster rate?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Last time I played magic decreased mr with drain doing the opposite.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yes, there is extra/reduced spell fatigue in battles, too

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Increased fatigue and higher MR in drain scales yes and the opposite in magic. It also affects events where magic tends to give you stuff and drain takes it. Misfortune 3 and drain 3 unlock some very nasty events - the worst used to take every gem in your treasury but I believe it's been toned down to only a few d6 of each kind.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

TravelLog posted:

Hmmm...

"Regeneration is for suckers kids!"

Thing is, Great Mothers have natural regen (the two-headed snake icon), so PO'd Oprah was getting back like 19-20 HP a round. Those militia just got super lucky.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Technowolf posted:

Thing is, Great Mothers have natural regen (the two-headed snake icon), so PO'd Oprah was getting back like 19-20 HP a round. Those militia just got super lucky.

Sure, but the bless stacks with natural regeneration. The Great Mother has only the one attack along with, frankly, poor protection and defense, which means if you aren't boosting those that the regen is even more important. Also of major relevance is that he is a Giant nation so it would be very good for his troops as well.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Lol uh at least Larger isn't an incarnate bless anymore.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Gath
Turn 3

Eagle-eyed viewers might notice that Agartha is not far from me, to the north.

I easily take the first province, and continue hiring researchers and giants. I send the giants hired this turn to join their friends on a convenient freespawn priest.

My recollections are hazy, and my next screenshot is from turn 10, so reports from Gath will be spotty going forward, at least until things start actually happening.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Atlantis Turns 1-3

My screenshots are a bit sparse for now, but they’ll get more detailed in the future.

Turn 1

Because I forgot to put names on for a while, here’s what I see turn 1. I’m pretty happy with this spot since I’m right in the middle of all of this water. While it doesn’t need to be absolutely ASAP, I do want to get underwater quickly to start recruiting my main battle mage. However, the real bonus is that, once I get one of my big mages out, I can sail across the water and grab some extra provinces that would otherwise be out of reach.

This turn I just recruit a Tungalik (basic mage) and a bunch of Mournfuls, send my scout into Renthale, and prophet my default leader.

Turn 2

Only thing that happened was that everyone declared their prophets.

I didn’t get a screenshot of the surrounding provinces, but I got relatively lucky and didn’t have anything too threatening in my cap circle.
I have a choice between going for more income in Kark or Renthale, or going for resources in Hall Woods. Because all of my good troops cost incredible amounts of resources, I head for the woods with my starting army.

Turn 3

The expansion went okay. I lost a sacred and a bunch of my cheap Seal Hunters, but the actual staying power was pretty much intact.

I have the party circle around and send them to take Jome next turn.

And now, since everyone else is doing a big overview at once, I might as well too.

Like quite a few other nations in the Late Age, Atlantis can almost be thought of as the combination of 2 separate nations, with Atlantis being pretty solidly split between above water and below water recruits. The land recruits are all cold resistant and use ice to build things while the under waters are essentially tailor-made to fight back against the cataclysm that is LA R’lyeh in Dominions’ lore.

To start, the basic land mage is the Tungalik. They are not very good mages, though they are sacred. Their main roles are to lead early expansion parties, bless units in big armies, and sitting in your forts researching.

The real star of the land are the Angakoks, who are my slow-to-recruit, cap-only mages. They’re expensive as hell but are absolutely worth it.
High water lets you dominate underwater with easy elementals and buffs, death lets you use nasty evocations (you won’t have nearly enough of these to spam skeletons effectively), and the cross path opens up the “Stygian” spells which synergize really well with the nation. Their randoms are also almost all great, with air being the absolute standout because it unlocks even more useful cross path spells.

And then, to make them even better, these guys are also able to sail across the water with their army, letting you hit provinces a lot faster, reinforce armies or hit enemy armies with surprise attacks. Once I can afford it, I’ll be recruiting these as fast as possible, because they’re the real core of the faction.

As for above water troops, there are a few varieties with differing protection and resource costs, but the main ones I’ll be using are the top-of-the-line Ice Guards. They are incredibly resource expensive, for what appear to middling defensive stats. However, their gimmick is that they have Ice Protection 2, which boosts the effectiveness of their armor by 2 for each tick of cold (and decreases it by 2 for each heat), which makes them incredibly bulky when it’s cold. The shield ones especially, since their effective prot can reach nearly 40 if they use their shield. Additionally, they have magic weapons at base, which is a very nice bonus and is key to the synergy with the “Stygian” spells from the Angakoks.

Next up is the sacred. It’s cap only and just okay. They don’t have ice protection, and have pretty low prot in general, but do have some bonuses. The big one is that they come with special magic weapons which can permanently decrease the strength of an enemy if they inflict damage. It’s not useful in general fights, but can be something fun to pull out vs. an enemy pretender or attempted super-combatant.

The final relevant land recruit is the Mournful. They’re decent troops, and don’t have ice protection, but have absolutely garbage morale. Their main use is to expand in the early game before your dominion spreads, which they are pretty good at. They can also be decent bodyguards because they’re big enough to fill multiple squares around your mage.

Going underwater, the only recruitable mage is the Forgiving Father. They’re somewhat expensive and aren’t sacred (so they have pretty high upkeep), but are very solid mages. They start off with good enough paths to use underwater, but their real bonuses are their crosspaths and the fact that all of them have astral, and so can be used as communion members/masters. Thanks to that, it’s pretty easy to slot in whatever random one to get off a big variety of spells. They also recruit at regular speeds, so they’ll end up being my main battle-mages once things get going.
Also, they have increased defenses against going insane in R’lyeh’s dominion which is a nice, if not relevant, bonus.

And finally, there are the main underwater troops. Statwise, they’re either just a step above indies (the infantry) or pretty over-costed for what they get (Unsleeping). However, what they do have are poison barbs on their armor, which poison anyone who attacks them with a short weapon (basically a sword or smaller). Conveniently, most of LA R’lyeh’s troops are slaves with really short weapons, so they’ll often end up killing themselves before they can kill your troops. I probably won’t be recruiting too many of these this game, as the underwater and land recruits of many other nations massively out-class them, but they’re at least still options.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Just now reading the names of the Atlantis units, I’m realizing that apparently Atlantis is an Inuit nation?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

TravelLog posted:

Sure, but the bless stacks with natural regeneration. The Great Mother has only the one attack along with, frankly, poor protection and defense, which means if you aren't boosting those that the regen is even more important. Also of major relevance is that he is a Giant nation so it would be very good for his troops as well.

The one attack thing is pretty meaningless against smaller troops, because she has built in trample.

And all the damage to kill her happened in 2 turns, so more Regen would not have helped much.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 20, 2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Akratic Method posted:

Just now reading the names of the Atlantis units, I’m realizing that apparently Atlantis is an Inuit nation?

Late Age it is. Earlier ages it's fully underwater, and it's influences are closer to H.P. Lovecraft's "The Shadow Over Innsmouth". Between MA and LA, R'leyh starts going full Lovecraft and nukes just about every other underwater nation. Atlantis gets split into three: LA Atlantis (Inuit-inspired), LA Mictlan, and LA Xibalba(sort-of Mayan-inspired). Pelagia gets becomes Erythia (with some Arcoscephale influences). Oceania is just gone.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

The one attack thing is pretty meaningless against smaller troops, because she has built in trample.

And all the damage to kill her happened in 2 turns, so more Regen would not have helped much.

2 rounds? drat, my condolences.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Basically she was trampling the militia happily and not really taking damage, and then the heavy infantry surrounded her and it was like the senators stabbing Julius Caesar and she died very quickly.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Technowolf posted:

Oceania is just gone.

Oceania never existed, we have always been allies with Eastasia.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Mictlan
Turn 04

Turn 4 is pretty uneventful, I get myself a big ol' water boy to do some researching with, and I get lucky enough on his rolls to get him to Water 4 as well. It's not really one of my favourite schools, but if nothing else it can be used to summon both some cool things on its own(never underestimate Sea Troll Kings) and the combo with blood provides access to some frosty nasty summons. Plus he's holy 3 for leading sacreds and he'll be able to buff himself up to Water 6 with some cheap boosters that he can craft himself before too long.

I also wonder what's up with Jomon waiting this late to make himself a prophet.

I also decide to head back north for expanding, both because it's one of my least-guarded neighbouring provinces and because with TC up that way, I don't want him grabbing all that fat, juicy territory.

Turn 05

Now this went a lot better than last time. While I still technically lost about a third of my losers, that entire third was just non-sacred wasteoids that I literally couldn't care less about. I also mixed a few Rain Warriors into my party mix, because I realized their armor might help them survive at least a little bit, and also I was curious about how they'd do. About as well as my Jaguar Warriors, I guess?

I start producing Mictlan Priests for research fodder, and since the first province I grabbed actually had okay income(almost everything in the Late Age does, honestly), I recruited an indie commander there to slap up a fort and get my income boosts started. My scout, meanwhile, tours TC territory, and I see that farm province really weakly defended and decide to pounce on it. TC might have bounced off it, or perhaps it's just a random roll of the dice, or maybe it actually contains 80 crossbowmen or something.

Or, well, I guess the max is 40(your scouting reports can vary from 50% to 200% of the true values, for the most part).

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Agartha
Turn 4

Not much this turn either. Jomon prophetizes one of their slow-to-recruit mages...for some reason.

The battle goes fairly well, though I do lose about half of my light infantry.

Next I march down into this cavern province that's being protected by lava-born, indie versions of Abysian Heavy Infantry. They wield battleaxes and have a heat aura, so can be dangerous in large numbers, but 4-20 of them I believe I can take.

I also put a bid in on a mercenary mage to help boost my research.

Lastly, a look at one of the thrones near me. It's not too dangerous, but it's a bit more than what I can take now. Yamabushi are one of Jomon's cap-only sacreds. They can be quite mean if you were able to mass them, but cap only and having a fairly high cost (19g and 22r) means they're not really worth recruiting over your other units.

Turn 5

I get my first level of research done, but someone else gets the sage. I recruited an Alchemist and sent him out to site search last turn. Nothing yet, but late age tends to be stingy with sites. You can also see a message about one of my troops dying during the march. One of the permanent wounds your units can get is called 'crippled', and its a fairly nasty one. Not only does it permanently reduce all of your stats, but there's a chance each time that unit moves on the strategic map that it just up and dies.

Turns out the scouting report was right on the money. I then send the army to the farmlands to the south, hoping to grab them before any neighbors do. This is a bit risky, as farmlands in the late age are almost always defended by heavy cavalry, which can wreck expansion armies.

I take a look around the map to see if I can see any of my neighbors. One of the things in late age is that you can see province names from up to three provinces away, giving you a little heads up about your neighbors. Here, I can see Patala's capital one a mountain province. Patala is the last of the Kailasa/Lanka/Bandar Log line of Hindu monkeys. They all tend to be fairly weak early game, but can become powerhouses late game with high astral magic and powerful unique summons.

And thanks to my new cave province, I can see Gath.

Lastly, my scout to the west spots a province owned by Erythia (I managed to take the picture when the flag on the province was blinking). They're a little too close to that throne for my liking.

Speaking of, it doesn't look that heavily defended. No national units usually means some magic users, but depending on the type it shouldn't be too hard to take.

To that end I begin recruiting my cave knights. I also go back after this and recruit a second commander to start leading some of the infantry and crossbowmen I've been recruiting.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
My guess is that Jomon's lateness with propheting is so they could give one or more of the Fivefold Signs to a real mage.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Atlantis Turns 4-5

I somehow didn't screenshot either of these turns.

I took Jome easily and kept going around the cap circle to grab Renthale too. From there, my party moves to take Kark and finish off my land cap-circle, while I send a 2nd party to start going north through Hall Woods.

I don't want go underwater quite yet, just because there's more competition for land provinces, so I might as well grab what I can and then circle back around.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Gath
Turns 4-5ish

Not quite sure exactly on what turn this got done, but I kept hiring giants, and as I now had enough resources to make more than 3 a turn, I stopped hiring researchers and instead queued a Yeddeoni and an Abba. The idea was to hopefully get an earth and a fire path to make the ideal equipment. Sadly, in the end I only got an earth, and so on the turn I got construction 2, I forged these to put on my god:

Reasoning for my picks being that the pelt gives a helmet and body armor with low encumberance in one cheap item, and for the weapon the damage and attack values are mostly irrelevant (I'm mostly going to hit and one-shot enemies), while the defense is very useful. For most single combatants that expect to be mobbed defense doesn't help that much, since every attack during a turn reduces defense by 1, but since my god has a free, built-in vine shield effect which greatly reduces the amount of people attacking him, defense works.

The end result looked like this:

And promptly went off to attack the strongest enemies nearby. It can easily clear almost any indies with no difficulty. To remove the little difficulty that remains, I start researching towards conjuration 3, to be able to cast summon earthpower on him, which gives enough reinvigoration to keep his fatigue at 0.

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 21, 2020

Alex0080
May 3, 2013
T'ien Ch'i Turn 4

Alright, some crippled Footmen died, and I have two battles.

Flawless Victory, those Heavy Cav were taken out by only my Prophet Gym, stunning one with Holy Word, then immediately killing another, and my own Barbarian Heavies dueling the rest.

And these cowards ran away from a fight they were winning, the commander didn't get sniped or anything, he ran away because, sure, they took some losses, but they still made everything but the crossbowmen route before running away themselves. The one remaining Heavy Infantry was crippled and simply did not manage to run away before my mercenaries did.

So, I got an Air 2 random Ancestor Guide, which is a great site searcher with 2 levels in 2 paths, he's off to start searching. I shuffle some dudes around and continue my expansion.

I recruit an Ancestor Smith, Earth 2, Death 1, with a single random, Air Astral Nature or Death. It also takes them 1 less gem to forge any magic item, this stacks with a Dwarven Hammer, which reduces the cost by a further 2. I also start recruiting Ancestor Vessels, my sacred troop, alongside my heavy Horses.

T'ien Ch'i Turn 5

My first two events, a battle, and I successfully spied on Micltan, and saw their prophet, and thus bless.

Two earth gems...

And +250% income on an ~110 income province. Misfortune 3 at work.

I lose a couple Heavy Horse, and my lightly armored shield-less footmen also take some friendly fire and run home. That's fine, I don't need you guys.

My first Ancestor Smith is an air random, and can forge me cheaper Owl Quills. Nice. I also never mentioned it before now, but (spoilers) all of the plains provinces in my cap circle are Scout provinces. I pull my Prophet back home, He'll take all my sacreds and give all his non-sacreds to...

My first Khan, who will meet Gym in T'ien Ch'i. My Air random Guide is also searching this forest for gem sites, fingers crossed, I want lots of Air and Death.

I recruit my first Spirit Master, my guaranteed Nature 2 mage. Since they cannot random an extra level of nature, and they have that flag that forces them to be old unless they get additional levels in nature magic, they will always start old. With my extra gold, I have enough money to buy many Heavy Horsemen.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Mictlan
Turn 06

Predictably, our one battle of the turn goes well. I'd later find out that it was because T'ien C'hi had bounced off it to my north, and he wasn't entirely pleased about me sniping it after he'd failed to take it.

Generally a good estimate for your early expansion is that your amount of provinces, up to and including Turn 12, should never be less than turn counter -1, and if you've got an awake expander, more than that, since you should have two expanding groups. Usually around turn 12, with most games, you'll start bumping into your neighbours and that'll constrict your expansion some. At four territories, we're slightly behind the curve because we stepped back to reinforce. I'm hoping to get another expansion party up and running before turn 12 so I won't be left too behind, but LA Mictlan isn't an easy nation to expand as since your sacreds are mildly obsolete and, uh, my EXTREMELY WISE bless choices haven't helped much either.

The capital is pooping out priests and this next province looks like a soft target. The one to the northeast contains indie onis who are rare enough that I don't recall how much trouble they are, if I remember right they turn into ghosts after being killed which then either need annoying killing(being ethereal) or banishing. A forest province also has better chance of having decent income than a mountain province.

I also make a mental note that this throne seems remarkably lightly defended. No weird defenders, no unusual mages noted in the overview.

And I get an early start on a bit of blood hunting. Now, I don't quite understand the blood hunting maths perfectly, it seems very variable in payoff, but as I've since learned, Blood 1's aren't something you should be hunting with unless you're desperate or they have Sanguine Dowsing Rods. Blood 2 and upwards seem to be where the real payoff is, and a fat cluster of Blood 2's(or Blood 1's with dowsing rods) seem to have a better payoff rate than smaller numbers of higher-ranked blood hunters(who you'll usually have better uses for in any case).

Still, gonna need those blood slaves, gotta get hunting.

I've also intentionally de-prioritized claiming my cap circle, since it's my experience that a lot of players won't try to steal yours unless it's extremely obvious they can beat you, since expanding into someone else's cap circle is more or less an implicit declaration of war, when it happens it's usually an accident and the other guy will back off, unless he's supremely confident he can kick your rear end, and if he's that confident he would've probably just stomped your PD to take your cap circle anyway.

If TC isn't aggressive enough to do that and I can snag just a province or two more to the northeast, I can cut off his eastwards expansion(unless he goes north of the lake, but probably there's someone else up there.).

Turn 07

Yeah, a single B1 hunter is just gonna bounce off his blood hunting most turns.

Construction 2 yields little of great note... for most nations. For Mictlan it's an important milestone since it lets them make Jade Knives that ups their blood saccers to being able to sacrifice two more victims per turn. Which means that my Holy1 priests can now carve up three slaves in a turn if I hand them one of these. That'll do a lot to reclaim my lost lead on dominion expansion. Otherwise it's mostly low grade gear, most of it not strictly bad, but somewhat eclipsed by Construction 4 and 6 where you get boosters and the real fun stuff.

One sacred and a generic goon for murdering 25 indies? That's a pretty fair exchange. Keep that up and these guys can expand for a good while yet without resupply.

TC shows up on my border but greatly vows that he's totally not planning to fight me. Usually people don't outright lie to you, they waffle and make vague statements, plain lying is bad manners, but if you betray someone while not explicitly having said you won't, you're in the clear!

My scout also discovers a Well of Pestilence(or Leper Valley, or other disease-causing site) in his cap circle the hard way. I offer to tell him where it is, but he somehow with stands my extremely solid pitch.

I also get to work on a fort to the NW of my capital. It's a bit late, but Mictlan has real expensive forts, at 750 gold as opposed to the normal 600 gold, it means they're easily left a bit behind in fort expansion in any of the three ages. My personal rule of thumb on forts is that I want my second fort built before Turn 12 at the very least, otherwise I may as well just resign myself to being a useless rump state, and ideally much earlier than that.

And I decide to take a shot at knocking over those oni on the mountain, cutting off TC would be real good, since if he encircles me, I'll be in trouble.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Atlantis Turns 6-7

Turn 6

My expansion party in Kark goes well, but I bounce off of some Bloodhenge Druids in Mag. I probably would've been able to barely eke out a win, but the druids repeatedly put all of my mournfuls to sleep while the Dark Vines killed them. Definitely not ideal, but at least I didn't lose the mage too.

I also see Marignon's god expanding to my south. It makes sense that they'd take an expander since LA Marignon is most vulnerable in the early game. This does make me think that their capital might be connected to that lake to my west, since they usually have a coastal start. It could be a pain because that opens up lots of ways for us to butt heads with our sailing if things go to actual fighting (which they probably will).

And lastly luck keeps things coming in. After last game, where events usually meant indie attacks, boars, or more fertility cults, it's nice to actually get good things.

As for movement, I bring the beaten mage back to the cap to make another party, and my intact one goes underwater to get that last province by my cap circle.

Turn 7

Another turn I missed screenshotting, somehow.

Nothing too important happens. The underwater party captures it with little trouble. I send it north to grab another water province, while my resupplied mage moves back north to beat up the druids next turn.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

And I get an early start on a bit of blood hunting. Now, I don't quite understand the blood hunting maths perfectly, it seems very variable in payoff, but as I've since learned, Blood 1's aren't something you should be hunting with unless you're desperate or they have Sanguine Dowsing Rods. Blood 2 and upwards seem to be where the real payoff is, and a fat cluster of Blood 2's(or Blood 1's with dowsing rods) seem to have a better payoff rate than smaller numbers of higher-ranked blood hunters(who you'll usually have better uses for in any case).

The gist of it is that you have 10% + (effective_blood_level)*40% chance of getting (1d6)+(effective_blood_level) slaves per hunter. If the first check fails, you still get unrest but get no slaves. Otherwise average unrest amount is linear with the amount of slaves you got. Or in pretty graph form, the average slave output in y, blood level in x:

So you definitely want to get at least level 2 hunters. Your mileage might wary on how useful going up to level 3 is -- it eliminates the fail chance because of too low blood level, so it not only increases slave output but reduces the average unrest per slave. On the other hand, it only gives +1.5 slaves per turn on average, so it would typically take 10 turns to recoup the forging cost of a blood dagger.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Agartha
Turn 6

I didn't save what the events were and can't remember them, but just imagine probably some generic +gems or +gold events. I win the fight in the caves without too much trouble, but...

Ouch. Late Age heavy can hurt like a truck. And I've got decent armor on my guys, image what poor Mictlan would have to bring to win a fight like this.

My poor prophet also got an arm hacked off. Not really relevant, since as a generic infantry commander I'm never going to give him any items, but still sucks for him.

Movement. My prophet starts moving back home to get some more troops, while my other party keeps clearing out my cap circle.

Turn 7

Pretty eventful turn. My first site, a battle, and spying on an enemy battle.

First off, the site. +2 earth gems a turn is actually pretty good, especially since I found it relatively early.

I spied a battle involving Gath's pretender and some indies. A titan chassis is not usually used for expanding, but a few, like the Earth Mother, can with the right blesses.

A closer look at "Horned Pony Enthusiast". Looks like Tuna-fish added a cheap shield to his build.

My battle goes fairly smoothly.

I spot Gath's actual army on my southern border.

Erythia's cap. They're a little closer to that throne than I like, so I'll have to get my guys moving there asap.

Lastly, I spy a Patalan expansion army. Looks like they're relying on cheap national longbow apes for expansion, which is probably not a bad idea, since most of their other troops are garbage.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, the monkey nations have some decent archers. If someone doesn't Air Shield them into irrelevance, they can really gently caress you up, I've learned.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's a gorilla with a longbow, which is both an awesome concept and something that would probably hurt pretty bad if it hit you.

Alex0080
May 3, 2013
T'ien Ch'i Turn 6

Air 2 Death 2 found no magic sites, I research Construction 1, and...

Mictlan took the farm province my Mercs bounced off of. I reshuffle my troops under their new leadership, and send my Nature 2 mage off to site search.

Now, lemme check my notes for this turn and see what I had to say about this situation: "Turn 6 - Decided to kill Mictlan"

T'ien Ch'i Turn 7

My first bad event, less gold per turn for the rest of the game. Certainly not the worst that could happen. All of my scales besides misfortune are positive, so I don't qualify for the particularly nasty bad events you get from combining misfortune with other negative scales. So I will mostly be seeing normal bad events more often than usual.

The battle went fine, I kept my new Ancestor Vessel squad with my Heavy Horse because I didn't want to risk 8 of them against any province I could get them to, but now I'll split them off, and reinforce them with 4 more, carried over by one of my busywork priests.

My new Ancestor Smith is an Astral random, so I send him off to form my first three man site searching team. Once I get around to making Celestial Masters, this team composition will be revistied, but for now, I'm searching my lands for Air 2, Earth 2, Nature 2, Death 2, Astral 1, and Holy 1. Don't knock the Holy site searching, I actually found a gem providing Holy magic site over 30 turns from now.

Finally, I spot Pythium over to my east, and move to swing down south and find out the other nation that borders Mictlan and them.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Utgard Turn 4

Still not a ton happening at this point in the game.

1 battle, 1 event on my capital, and the Jomon prophet.

The battle was completely uneventful stomp of indies with my giant giants.

The event is a pretty annoying one to get early on. Losing a significant portion of your capitals income for a turn when it is your main source of money is annoying.

One thing that I believe is an LA thing is that you have a bit more information about your surrounding areas than before, in particular names of provinces well outside your sight.

Here we have Pan to my northeast, who could be annoying if we ever became enemies.

And here we have Mictlan, who I don't think I need to say anything else about being next to Mictlan!

I have built up a decent force of my sacreds so I send them out to the south while my first group heads for that rich province to the east.

Turn 5

Really nothing to report this turn. Both expansion parties continue to beat down enemies without any real losses.

Turn 6

Only one battle this turn as I didn't want my northern group getting any closer to Pan, which turned out to be a good choice.

I see Pans expansion army to my northeast. You can also see a general idea of what is on that throne next to me. A crapton of undead, normal indies, and a pretender chassis leading them(the Death version of the pretender Gath has).

I will also explain my early research goals. Unless I am playing a nation that can get some good early battle magic I usually spend the first part of the game researching all the remote site searching spells for the paths I have available. They cost gems to cast, but I don't have to worry about remembering to shuffle mages around and searching each time, and also you can search faster this way since you don't have a 2 turn or more process for each province. Also no worries about potentially missing a site due to not having sufficient levels in the path.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 25, 2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

I see Pans expansion army to my northeast. You can also see a general idea of what is on that throne next to me. A crapton of undead, normal indies, and a pretender chassis leading them(the Death version of the pretender Argatha has).

Gath has the giant leafy boy. I (Agartha) has an Oracle toilet.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

And here we have Mictlan, who I don't think I need to say anything else about being next to Mictlan!

I'm glad that you respect me as a neighbour and look forward to a fruitful and cooperative friendship. :)

Khisanth Magus posted:

I will also explain my early research goals. Unless I am playing a nation that can get some good early battle magic I usually spend the first part of the game researching all the remote site searching spells for the paths I have available. They cost gems to cast, but I don't have to worry about remembering to shuffle mages around and searching each time, and also you can search faster this way since you don't have a 2 turn or more process for each province. Also no worries about potentially missing a site due to not having sufficient levels in the path.

This used to be my process as well, but it ended up depending a lot on the age and nation. In the early age you usually have more "pure" path mages, and I end up using site-searching spells rather than shuffling around a big corps of them, in the middle and late ages, you usually have more "mixed" path mages where one mage can search for two, three or sometimes even four paths at once, and just having up to 2 points in a path generally uncovers something like 70% of all the sites they possibly could, so with a lot of nations it ends up saving you a big bucket of gems in the end to just do the site-searching manually, at least at first, just to get the gem income started up properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Popping my head in to say Cassia 2.1 is up here is a link to the relevant post.

at some point i will judge some of these gods i swear