Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
This is going to be an absolute trainwreck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
The real interesting thing will be if the fall out results in the clubs having to open their books to PRL and seeing who else has been naughty.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Vaders Jester posted:

The real interesting thing will be if the fall out results in the clubs having to open their books to PRL and seeing who else has been naughty.

I'm reasonably sure it'd be obvious or have come out by now, particularly after everyone got vetted after the last farrago.

Who knows. I'll laugh if Bath get dinged despite being mediocre to poo poo ever since the first go round.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Also, is there a salary cap in the championship?

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I wouldn't have thought so, Championship players are paid peanuts by all accounts* so I doubt there's any need for one.

*There was an article in the Guardian a couple of years ago where Ben Hooper (brother of Stuart) said that when he started at a Championship club he was on £11k a year and there were some guys on the squad on about £6k.

oh no computer fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 17, 2020

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I don't think it has a cap though I could be wrong.

I'd be surprised if any other club was stupid enough to keep breaching the cap after the 2015 scandal but Saracens were so who knows? Inb4 it's Leicester or something hilarious.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Bristol have a few stars but also a load of low earners too, would be surprised if they were over the cap but I can't imagine many other teams being in danger. I really don't like Saracens (2014 QF red card for Jared Payne will never be forgiven :argh:) but this reflects poorly on the game as a whole.

Surely they need to strip them of their titles if it's this bad?

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
I remember Alex Cuthbert was on about £20k a year at the Blues when he won the Grand Slam with Wales in 2012. Salaries outside of the big names can be pretty poor.

stavros880 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 17, 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Vaders Jester posted:

- Fellow Premiership clubs aren't interested in buying out Saracens players' contracts to sign them. :lol:

I don't think they could buy any of the big names without breaching the cap themselves. They're all worked out with maybe some wiggle room for emergencies should someone break their leg and a hole appear in the squad. Not enough space to buy any luxuries mid season.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Surely they need to strip them of their titles if it's this bad?

I think the current rules don't let them, just points deductions

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

goatface posted:

I don't think they could buy any of the big names without breaching the cap themselves. They're all worked out with maybe some wiggle room for emergencies should someone break their leg and a hole appear in the squad. Not enough space to buy any luxuries mid season.

Yeah, I can't see the desire to help Sarries out of a hole and footing the bill for it would appeal much either, even if the teams had cap space to spare.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

stavros880 posted:

I remember Alex Cuthbert was on about £20k a year at the Blues when he won the Grand Slam with Wales in 2012. Salaries outside of the big names can be pretty poor.

Jeez, that's pretty terrible considering he was basically at the height of his powers at that point. Though I suppose they might have performance bonuses and sponsorship deals etc. to bolster wages.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just a reminder that the Japanese Top League has started up for 2020, and the first round of games all looked to be pretty entertaining. It’s trying to snow in Tokyo so good rugby weather for some of the matches today (round 2) too.

It’s been getting a LOT of press in the lead up, and there were stories of attendances being up 25%+ versus the first round last year on the back of the RWC. My wife watches a lot of talk shows, and there have been a bunch of rugby players coming through to promote on various shows.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

harperdc posted:

Just a reminder that the Japanese Top League has started up for 2020, and the first round of games all looked to be pretty entertaining. It’s trying to snow in Tokyo so good rugby weather for some of the matches today (round 2) too.

It’s been getting a LOT of press in the lead up, and there were stories of attendances being up 25%+ versus the first round last year on the back of the RWC. My wife watches a lot of talk shows, and there have been a bunch of rugby players coming through to promote on various shows.

Lots of talk at Wrestle Kingdom at the start of the year too with Bullet Club being accompanied to the ring by two of the Japanese rugby team so pretty cool to see them getting more celebrity after the world cup.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I've missed Leone nakawara.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Fantastic. Now come on Racing and Toulouse.!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

HappyCamperGL posted:

I've missed Leone nakawara.

He's a loving truck.

Also lol Saracens

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1218614776621936641?s=21

Lmaooo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Heh, what do you think they're going to do with the rest of this season?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I hope they play every game in carpet slippers.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Apparently it was that or open their books. Time to ringfence the English prem.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If that's the justification they might as well admit to wholesale tax fraud and be done with it.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Hahaha. I might pop along to Hartpury v Sarries next season then.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
So Im guessing they'll just load the squad for the European games then.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

bessantj posted:

Their CEO, Ed Griffiths, had also been acting as an agent to the players, apparently without a licence.

The implication here, with their refusal to open their books and Griffiths' (and probably other office staff) actions does suggest that the Saracens were dirty at just about every level, and pretty much everyone was to some degree, complicit.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Vagabundo posted:

Their CEO, Ed Griffiths, had also been acting as an agent to the players, apparently without a licence.

The implication here, with their refusal to open their books and Griffiths' (and probably other office staff) actions does suggest that the Saracens were dirty at just about every level, and pretty much everyone was to some degree, complicit.

England duty is going to be loving hilarious when the Sarries and Exeter players meet..

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/threeredkings/status/1218655462910054400?s=19

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Billy Vunipola has broken his arm again, has no luck at all.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

bessantj posted:

I keep reading that to get accepted into the Premiership after being promoted from the Championship, a team has to show they were under the salary cap for the previous 2 years. If so, Saracens will be staying down for longer than expected. If they ring fence the league soon, they may never get back up.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I don't see them ring fencing the league without Saracens in it, and no one wants to be travelling to Newcastle for any reason, far less to have to play Rugby.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I can see enough other owners being petty enough to do it, and I am here for it

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Just the thought of Jersey Reds v Saracens for two years (if Sarries can't get under cap in time when promotion comes up) is enough to warm my cold, dead heart.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Saracens facing that most English of rugby issues: overwhelming unjustified arrogance, in this case that the rules just don’t apply to them.

Welsh club rugby facing the same issue as the national team, can’t do anything other than run face first into a problem over and over again

And Scotland of course the same problem as all Scottish sports teams bar the curling, lots of people running mouth about playing, can’t consistently actually play

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Listening to the eggchasers podcast and reading a few english media articles, I'm still in a weird state of disbelief about the weird lack of professionalism and denials that saracens cheated here by hiding payments from the salary cap. hockey has a salary cap and an entire fan segment and media that follows the cap, there's even websites for it like http://www.capfriendly.com

Does it come from the weird amateur -> professional gap in rugby, where people are talking about the 'club atmosphere' and stuff here? It's just so weird to me from a north american perspective - they cheated, of course they cheated, this is like the lamest thing to be denying because they're good "club men" or whatever.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

sleep with the vicious posted:

Listening to the eggchasers podcast and reading a few english media articles, I'm still in a weird state of disbelief about the weird lack of professionalism and denials that saracens cheated here by hiding payments from the salary cap. hockey has a salary cap and an entire fan segment and media that follows the cap, there's even websites for it like http://www.capfriendly.com

Does it come from the weird amateur -> professional gap in rugby, where people are talking about the 'club atmosphere' and stuff here? It's just so weird to me from a north american perspective - they cheated, of course they cheated, this is like the lamest thing to be denying because they're good "club men" or whatever.

No, it comes from Nigel Wray being a dodgy oval office. A man who thinks that that if you have lots of money the rules shouldn't apply to you. Then you get caught, but that's OK because, reputation aside, you walk scot free and others take the fall for your shithouse behaviour. He bleated about how Saracens and PR was a powerhouse and well run and that European Rugby could learn from it yet shrugged as the club ran into 10s of millions in losses and inflated the market. Massive oval office.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

sleep with the vicious posted:

Eggchasers are a weird lot that love being contrarian in the dumbest ways. Tried defending Billy Vunipola's support of Folau as "bants" on twitter. Some people just like equating success to proof of morality and any criticism is just jealousy.

Stephen Jones taking the journalistic equivalent of making GBS threads himself with his clothes has been hilarious to follow though.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bessantj posted:

No, it comes from Nigel Wray being a dodgy oval office. A man who thinks that that if you have lots of money the rules shouldn't apply to you. Then you get caught, but that's OK because, reputation aside, you walk scot free and others take the fall for your shithouse behaviour. He bleated about how Saracens and PR was a powerhouse and well run and that European Rugby could learn from it yet shrugged as the club ran into 10s of millions in losses and inflated the market. Massive oval office.

The worst thing is that they borrowed £23m from Barnet council to go towards building a new stand which is absolutely mental considering how much debt they owe. Them going to the Championship might see a run on them if they're not careful.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Sounds like they're planning on a Rangers style tactical bankruptcy. Protects them from ever showing their books, clears all their debts and presumably lets Wray get away basically scot free.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

There's a new Rugby game out!

It looks kinda meh, but beggars can't be choosy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Finn Russell has left the Scotland camp and looks like he won't play in the 6 Nations. No reason given why yet though. Injury, personal reasons or fight with management?
Either way, RIP Scotland's chances

Edit: doesn't sound like an injury...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/rugby-union/51222874?__twitter_impression=true

BBC posted:

His decision to leave the Scotland training camp will send shockwaves through the Scottish support

BBC posted:

Having his star fly-half walk out on the squad just over a week before the opener only heaps more heat on the head coach

stavros880 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 23, 2020