Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If I turn off the hyperbole I can agree that Jim sees some value in women's wrestling but that it is primarily a sideshow. And in this specific case it is obvious his own taste is what defines conventionally attractive because all of the Japanese women in AEW are conventionally attractive. So if he thinks they're not marketable and he thinks that being attractive is a requirement it's based on his own taste. And if he thinks they need to be conventionally attractive I feel like it means titillation is always one of the selling points to him even if it isn't the only one. I'm also kind of just avoiding unpacking his insistence that they're being pushed because Kenny is a pedophile because holy poo poo that's really gross what's wrong with him. It's just such a rats nest of lovely biases.

Overall I think Cornette's opinions on women in wrestling is like any other idiot in media that primarily caters to men. He speaks like it is a fact that a women's title will never outdraw a men's title and that women will always have less interest in wrestling. But that current reality is only because the American wrestling industry is primarily built for men. There is nothing inherently gendered about wrestling. It's just catered to men for so long that it's become "fact" that only men will always be the main audience. The same thing happened in comics and video games. It's also ignorant of history considering the mainstream success has had in Japan in the past.

He's just so incredibly ignorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

davidbix posted:

how has THIS poo poo not been getting him in deeper poo poo? For as many people who have argued about his "intent" with the fried chicken/Ethiopia line, he clearly has some malicious intent with this stuff.

I think you hit the nail on the head at the start of your post: he's run off everybody but the true believers/hardcore listeners who eat up anything he says and are in full agreement with his backwards-rear end bullshit.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

davidbix posted:

Separate topic: Has he run off almost everyone who would be offended by the, well, offensive stuff? I've been listening less lately, but listened to part of this week's JCE (because the lawyer stuff is newsworthy and I'd like to be up to date), let it keep going because I was doing the dishes, and...oof. There was a point where it seemed like Brian was trying to talk him down a *little* bit on the "Japanese schoolgirl" stuff by pointing out that Shida doesn't fit that bit the way that Riho, being tiny and young after starting obscenely young, at least could maybe be argued to. (I'm not saying she does.) And Jim wouldn't have it, continuing with the whole weekly thing about Omega having a "Japanese schoolgirl fetish" that leads him to push Japanese women who he doesn't think an American audience will ever find relatable.

Even ignoring the Shida part, how does Emi Sakura fit into the idea of a "Japanese schoolgirl fetish"?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If it were true that Omega and Riho were together and Omega has know her since she was a kid that would be understandably uncomfortable. I have no idea what their relationship or backstory is but like the fact that he jumps to that “schoolgirl” thing when I’ve never gotten that vibe from Riho and groups Shida into it even though that doesn’t seem to make any sense definitely makes it seem more about Jim’s stuff than Omega’s.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Jerusalem posted:

I think you hit the nail on the head at the start of your post: he's run off everybody but the true believers/hardcore listeners who eat up anything he says and are in full agreement with his backwards-rear end bullshit.

In addition to this, what is even the correct response here? You can't get the guy kicked off his own podcast. Maybe there's advertisers that can be contacted but there's a level of disconnect that would make any sort of direct action challenging.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I dont really even follow Jim and yet I've still heard him do the "they can do that on tv but I can't say a fuckin chicken joke on youtube" bit a whole bunch of times and I love it every time because it shows how tremendously Extremely Not Mad he continues to be over it

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jim Cornette better watch his mouth about Hikaru Shida. She hangs out with literal ninjas.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

spongeh posted:

In addition to this, what is even the correct response here? You can't get the guy kicked off his own podcast. Maybe there's advertisers that can be contacted but there's a level of disconnect that would make any sort of direct action challenging.

The correct response is probably nothing. If someone holds a different opinion to you and is not swayable by argument thats kinda the end of the discussion. Unless you think he’s calling for literal violence against people who enjoy AEW, thats the end of the matter.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think its ok to enjoy a little jim cornette as a treat.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

coconono posted:

I think its ok to enjoy a little jim cornette as a treat.

That's the same logic I use to enjoy a lovely cheeseburger with pounds of trans fat.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

*offers u a lil bit of poopy* a delicacy...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Look it's easy to assume Cornette is being racist here, but given all of his libertarian friends in the business and the way he'll fondly tell stories of Grizzly Smith I think it is safer to say Cornette is projecting and he too is a libertarian.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

Look it's easy to assume Cornette is being racist here, but given all of his libertarian friends in the business and the way he'll fondly tell stories of Grizzly Smith I think it is safer to say Cornette is projecting and he too is a libertarian.

I've yet to meet a old timey wrestler that isn't liberatarian as gently caress. "Why do I need to pay for roads/textbooks/lunches/healthcare for others?" is a common topic of political discussion. It also exposes that gently caress you got mine mentality that seems to be so common among that age group.

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Don't be a jerk my friend
Really surprised Kenny hasn't gone after Cornette for implying he groomed Riho

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The worst thing he could to is acknowledge it. Cornette is legit not worth his time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kenny Omega is too busy having squidsex and being a vampire to even bother with Cornette.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

I've yet to meet a old timey wrestler that isn't liberatarian as gently caress. "Why do I need to pay for roads/textbooks/lunches/healthcare for others?" is a common topic of political discussion. It also exposes that gently caress you got mine mentality that seems to be so common among that age group.

You are using an outdated definition of libertarian.

I am saying Cornette is still friends with Jerry Lawler for a reason.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

You are using an outdated definition of libertarian.

I am saying Cornette is still friends with Jerry Lawler for a reason.

I can't keep track. I thought all the kidfuckers were republicans. Now you're telling me libertarians are kidfuckers too?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

coconono posted:

I can't keep track. I thought all the kidfuckers were republicans. Now you're telling me libertarians are kidfuckers too?

If anything, they're worse.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

coconono posted:

Let's just say that if Jim Cornette ever does a show in international waters, don't go.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Not being mad that a guy is a pederast but a race mixing pederast is the most 1980's Wrestling thing I've ever heard.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

coconono posted:

"Why should THE GUBBERMINT tell me who's old enough?" seems true to form for Libertarians, tbh.

Anyway, in regards to whatever Jim Cornette's done recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlKao_Pox5A

dsriggs fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 20, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

coconono posted:

Libertarians believe in 2 genders and 18 different pedophiles.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

coconono posted:

One of the first things libertarians usually talk about is the age on consent. Bad people.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I really can't tell you how lucky you are that you've never had a libertarian tell you how tricky consent is.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

I really can't tell you how lucky you are that you've never had a libertarian tell you how tricky consent is.

We don't have libertarians in the UK we just call our paedophiles "My Lord" or "Your majesty".

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

We don't have libertarians in the UK we just call our paedophiles "My Lord" or "Your majesty".

or we carefully edit episodes of Top Of The Pops to remove them (there are at least three people I'm thinking of here)

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Gonzo McFee posted:

Not being mad that a guy is a pederast but a race mixing pederast is the most 1980's Wrestling thing I've ever heard.

Just think of the heat

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Lamuella posted:

Even ignoring the Shida part, how does Emi Sakura fit into the idea of a "Japanese schoolgirl fetish"?
Hell if I know. And then he calls her "Margaret Cho," too.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jim Cornette can have a little racism as a treat

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

coconono posted:

Jim Cornette can have a little racism as a treat

I'd say the racism is one of his main courses

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pinche Rudo posted:

I'd say the racism is one of his main courses

It’s why he is running towards fleshy

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Ad by Khad posted:

I dont really even follow Jim and yet I've still heard him do the "they can do that on tv but I can't say a fuckin chicken joke on youtube" bit a whole bunch of times and I love it every time because it shows how tremendously Extremely Not Mad he continues to be over it
His biggest fans are still Incredibly Not Mad, too. I'll search Twitter for "starvation joke" every week or two lately, and there are always new tweets from the last few days from fans defending him against assertions that he's a racist.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the only good starving joke is that one chubby comedian who has a catchphrase “i’m starvin!” he says it on stage all the time people love it good stuff

“i’m starvin!”

hah

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

John Pinette? He was hilarious. I was sad when he passed away.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WatermelonGun posted:

the only good starving joke is that one chubby comedian who has a catchphrase “i’m starvin!” he says it on stage all the time people love it good stuff

“i’m starvin!”

hah

Haha ok man some people are trying to sleep maybe save the serious chuckles for daytime??

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
gently caress it. I'm going to say it. Jim Cornette makes me laugh. Sure, he's out of touch on a lot of things, but there are a few things I'll agree with him on.

None of Riho's offense looks like it has any impact because she's like 80 pounds. Marko Stunt has the same problem. Spike Dudley had the same issue.

I've never liked Kenny Omega. I can appreciate some of his work, but he's always irritated me for reasons I can't fully explain.

The Young Bucks were entertaining for a while, but now I'm over them. From what I've seen, they've got their own Kevin Nash-style 'six moves of doom' that are just boring to me now.

I'll probably eat a probation or a ban for this, but gently caress it, Corny makes me laugh sometimes.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
none of that or your bad wrestling opinions are ban worthy except maybe for making GBS threads on spike dudley which i would definitely permaban you for but i’m not a mod

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

XeeD posted:

gently caress it. I'm going to say it. Jim Cornette makes me laugh. Sure, he's out of touch on a lot of things, but there are a few things I'll agree with him on.

None of Riho's offense looks like it has any impact because she's like 80 pounds. Marko Stunt has the same problem. Spike Dudley had the same issue.

I've never liked Kenny Omega. I can appreciate some of his work, but he's always irritated me for reasons I can't fully explain.

The Young Bucks were entertaining for a while, but now I'm over them. From what I've seen, they've got their own Kevin Nash-style 'six moves of doom' that are just boring to me now.

I'll probably eat a probation or a ban for this, but gently caress it, Corny makes me laugh sometimes.

Stop acting like a martyr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

XeeD posted:

gently caress it. I'm going to say it. Jim Cornette makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1YOAmIVMhU&t=5s