Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Can't wait for Techmoaner to reveal that he is basically deaf.

Didn't he say that at some point? Or was it about the sense of smell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Didn't he say that at some point? Or was it about the sense of smell?

No it was at the end of one of his cooking gadget videos where he stated he can't taste.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Hey guys. I'm trying to troubleshoot and also figure out/research a audio system from the early 90s my mom inherited.

She stopped using it because she was getting random pops/cracks.

The speakers are a infinity modulus satellite set + sub.

The other stuff is a nakamachi ca-p51? Control/power amp thing

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/IyQW4CG

Sorry they're not great!

She didn't have the sub hooked up when getting the pops. Is there anything I can do? How can I troubleshoot it or should I just try to sell it for her?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tabletops posted:

Hey guys. I'm trying to troubleshoot and also figure out/research a audio system from the early 90s my mom inherited.

Sorry they're not great!

She didn't have the sub hooked up when getting the pops. Is there anything I can do? How can I troubleshoot it or should I just try to sell it for her?

Have you tried making fun of her ugly carpet and laughing at her cables?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Jerry Cotton posted:

Have you tried making fun of her ugly carpet and laughing at her cables?

Blame my formerly rich lawyer uncle circa 1991 Miami.

Also there's no carpet just hard wood! There's a rug though

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Did I post this in the wrong thread lol

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jerry Cotton posted:

Can't wait for Techmoaner to reveal that he is basically deaf.

I'm pretty sure he's stated that several times.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Techmoan has never* claimed to be an audiophile.

*He may have at some point, but not the kind that we're here for the mocking of.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Techmoan can hear the difference between a recording on CD and a recording on a 1950's wire recorder, so that's good enough for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ihiTwJPCc

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Tabletops posted:

Sorry they're not great!

Nakamichi CA-7A preamp and PA-5II are good poo poo. Power amp was designed by Threshold / Nelson Pass.

First step is to connect the tuner or an aux cable to the “tuner” (or CD or aux) input of the preamp using RCA cables. Then connect the ones labeled output to the power amp. Connect the speakers to the respective +\= terminals on the power amp. Ignore the sub for now. Test the functions on the preamp. Usually you’ll get some crackle changing the volume which means you need to clean the potentiometers with contact cleaner (if you’re handy you can do it yourself using a youtube tutorial or any competent hifi repair guy can help you out cause the stuff is good enough to justify spending the money getting it refurbed). If you’re still getting popping or crackles after that it usually means some components inside the amp or preamp are bad which unfortunately means lots of time or $.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I was gonna say, get the pots cleaned first. I used to work in a hifi shop and you would not believe the number of components thay came in with horrible noise problems that seemed like they would require major repairs but it was all just a little oxidation

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Chill Callahan posted:

Nakamichi CA-7A preamp and PA-5II are good poo poo. Power amp was designed by Threshold / Nelson Pass.

First step is to connect the tuner or an aux cable to the “tuner” (or CD or aux) input of the preamp using RCA cables. Then connect the ones labeled output to the power amp. Connect the speakers to the respective +\= terminals on the power amp. Ignore the sub for now. Test the functions on the preamp. Usually you’ll get some crackle changing the volume which means you need to clean the potentiometers with contact cleaner (if you’re handy you can do it yourself using a youtube tutorial or any competent hifi repair guy can help you out cause the stuff is good enough to justify spending the money getting it refurbed). If you’re still getting popping or crackles after that it usually means some components inside the amp or preamp are bad which unfortunately means lots of time or $.
Can I connect any source to the preamp like a cellphone or does it need to be something with more power? Also thank you very much!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Tabletops posted:

Can I connect any source to the preamp like a cellphone or does it need to be something with more power? Also thank you very much!

You mean using a 1/8"/3.5mm headphone to RCA connector? Should work fine, just turn the volume up on the phone when you have it connected

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Tabletops posted:

Yeah your phone should output line level, make sure it’s at like 2/3 volume cause some phones start compressing the audio at higher “volumes.” The power amp is the thing doing the actual signal amplification to the speakers.

And make sure to turn everything off and set the volume knob to 0 before connecting your phone. Then turn things on, wait for a “click,” play something from your phone, and turn the volume knob up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chill Callahan posted:

Yeah your phone should output line level, make sure it’s at like 2/3 volume cause some phones start compressing the audio at higher “volumes.”

Do you know which phones do this?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Also, how might you test that?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Also, how might you test that?

Make an audio file with alternating loud and soft segments, probably best to use a test tone or noise of some sort. Play back on the phone and record from the output, at various volume levels. Compare the recordings with the original. If it's not a straight amplification/attenuation then you're getting dynamic range compression.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I have an S9+ and AFAICT it doesn't do that. In fact anything less than full output for line or bluetooth is way too low, and most phones seem to be that way. Always exceptions to be sure though

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

I have an S9+ and AFAICT it doesn't do that. In fact anything less than full output for line or bluetooth is way too low, and most phones seem to be that way. Always exceptions to be sure though

I could’ve sworn my old iPhone with 3.5mm out did it but I never actually measured it and could be wrong

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

As ever “it depends” because “line level” is not as simple as that. Consumer and pro kit use different 0dB reference points, and noise floors. If you’re driving headphones then the impedance of the cans also plays a factor in that.

Any built in compression or limiting would ideally be tracking the voltage output of the device, but if they chose to do it then it’s likely just done in software with a fixed threshold. It absolves them of responsibility for damaged kit I guess. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was an automatic gain control rather than a compressor to avoid bus pumping though, and a sensible design would have different settings for various signal paths.

In other news the Nuraphones arrived yesterday. I’m pretty sure I’ve already figured out what they’re doing but will run some more tests and get some relative measurements of the three profiles I’ve created so far to illustrate what I think is happening.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Neurophonic posted:

In other news the Nuraphones arrived yesterday. I’m pretty sure I’ve already figured out what they’re doing but will run some more tests and get some relative measurements of the three profiles I’ve created so far to illustrate what I think is happening.

I'm interested in how you like them overall! I'm really happy with my WH-1000XM3s for my use cases and not looking to change but I think it's really neat concept.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I ordered Dekoni pads for my WH-1000XM3s. They are usually fine to and from work, but after a few hours on a plane the cartilage in my ears gets pretty tired and sore from them. Will be interesting to see if there is a huge difference, they sure as gently caress were expensive enough!

Edit - WTF, this isn't the headphone thread!

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

evobatman posted:

they sure as gently caress were expensive enough!

hehe

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

evobatman posted:

I ordered Dekoni pads for my WH-1000XM3s. They are usually fine to and from work, but after a few hours on a plane the cartilage in my ears gets pretty tired and sore from them. Will be interesting to see if there is a huge difference, they sure as gently caress were expensive enough!

You filthy audiophile swine you those actually work pretty well, have the leather ones for the 1000XM2 and they're nice

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm going to post this in here because I'm an idiot who never learns.

My home office setup has a toggle switch behind the volume pot that lets me switch between -10dB line level and -0dB line level. I have it set up so that both are safe for the equipment, but the -10dB setting is safe(ish) for my hearing. Every few months, I remember that switch exists and want to turn it up just a little, so I turn the volume to half way and flip the "goes to 11" switch. After 10 minutes of slowly bumping it up, I'm sitting there wondering why I have a pounding headache and why my keyboard is rattling. At this point, consumer equipment that starts throwing distortion at the problem when you turn it up is something I consider a health-safety feature. :downs:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 24, 2020

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Posted without comment:

9 hi-fi tricks you might not believe affect sound quality (but they do)

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

They left out the one thing that really makes the music sound better. it’s weed

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Is this site like the onion or something.
Even for audiophile standards that article sounds insane.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

KillHour posted:

I'm going to post this in here because I'm an idiot who never learns.

My home office setup has a toggle switch behind the volume pot that lets me switch between -10dB line level and -0dB line level. I have it set up so that both are safe for the equipment, but the -10dB setting is safe(ish) for my hearing. Every few months, I remember that switch exists and want to turn it up just a little, so I turn the volume to half way and flip the "goes to 11" switch. After 10 minutes of slowly bumping it up, I'm sitting there wondering why I have a pounding headache and why my keyboard is rattling. At this point, consumer equipment that starts throwing distortion at the problem when you turn it up is something I consider a health-safety feature. :downs:

My example of this recently is on my iSine 10 IEM. I always used them bluetooth until a couple days ago. The lightning cable DAC/AMP for them is for both them and the higher impedance iSine 20. I had it half way earlier today and it was entirely too loud, and I like loud. These things can handle so much power with zero distortion it's wild. I think they're rated at 1W which is just wtf. I'm sure this cable isn't 1/10th of that power.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

ddogflex posted:

My example of this recently is on my iSine 10 IEM. I always used them bluetooth until a couple days ago. The lightning cable DAC/AMP for them is for both them and the higher impedance iSine 20. I had it half way earlier today and it was entirely too loud, and I like loud. These things can handle so much power with zero distortion it's wild. I think they're rated at 1W which is just wtf. I'm sure this cable isn't 1/10th of that power.

All speakers are rated at 1w. It’s how you show a sensitivity rating, although it isn’t really 1 watt because that’s almost impossible to maintain. You sweep a long, log sine across the speaker, ideally with no processing, at a fixed voltage value derived from the ‘nominal’ impedance. Then your marketing department typically choose the highest number, and argue with the engineering team who want to take the median line across all frequencies of interest.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

evobatman posted:

Not to continue the derail, but I love my WH-1000XM3s, and I want to know more about these pads.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

they're more comfortable, that's pretty much it. They offer more filling and more room for your ears if you have open car doors for pinnae like I do. Worth50 bucks? Probably not, but it's hard to get something that works well these days. Doesn't offer any enhanced performance or anything, but they do feel quite nice if you fly a lot.

Elentor posted:

WhatHiFi is one of the best ranking A/V sites in the world, with an alexa rank of sub 10k

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 25, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Elentor posted:

Unfortunately Whathifi is absolutely serious.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Listening in the dark can add a lot, especially with the right sort of music. The point about consumer AV vs. "serious" hifi power ratings is true in the broadest sense. You may or may not be pressing your equipment hard enough to cause an issue but a lot of cheaper stuff runs out of steam way faster than you would think

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

grack posted:

It’s a shame that https://wathifi.com/ is abandoned.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grack posted:

I'm pretty amazed.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

It's completely indistinguishable from parody.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there stoner audiophiles that believe different strains make music sound better or worse?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Maybe not sound but it wouldn't surprise me if terp profiles made people feel differently under the influence, and that in turn made the listening experience different for people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Some poo poo literally cause ringing in the ears but IDK how measurable it would be.