Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Photoshop CS2 is free to download and relatively simple to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

pospysyl posted:

David Lynch has a new short film out on Netflix. It's about a monkey... and a murder.

My favorite part was the credits. I'm not being sarcastic, the cast list really made me laugh.

I guess he actually made this a couple years ago, but it's only getting released now for whatever reason.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Are you the same Wizard of Loneliness on Spotify/Bandcamp? I discovered your music a few weeks ago. Great stuff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I Before E posted:

Photoshop CS2 is free to download and relatively simple to use.

Not anymore.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I've been getting back into Lupin III lately and god this franchise whips rear end

I've watched two out of the three movies that Takeshi Koike (as in the guy who made loving Redline) directed and they're loving incredible

I watched all the Lupin the Third movies last year and while they can vary wildly in quality, some of them are really amazing, those ones especially.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Are you the same Wizard of Loneliness on Spotify/Bandcamp? I discovered your music a few weeks ago. Great stuff.

No, I'm actually Nathan Fielder. Thank you though.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Timby posted:

Not anymore.

Ah that sucks

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

YTotD is Edward E. French reading Amelia Reynolds Long's 1930 sci-fi story, "The Thought Monster," which was later adapted into the 1958 feature film Fiend Without a Face: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8t9QT56SBA

This owns.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Skwirl posted:

I'm sure I've told this story before, but I met two different guys in college who were there on the GI bill and joined the Marines at least in part because of the movie Full Metal Jacket.

Similarly: After seeing the movie [The Social Network], Zuckerberg was quoted as saying he is "interested to see what effect The Social Network has on entrepreneurship", noting that he gets "lots of messages from people who claim that they have been very much inspired... to start their own company."

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone got any stories of people missing the point in movies? Yesterday, I had a friend unironically tell me it's ok for a white guy to voice Apu, citing RDJ being able to play a black guy in Tropic Thunder.

...how do you not watch a movie that hard?

BvS has a ton of those. One that sticks out was some goober complaining about why Batman had an armoured suit for fighting Superman.

And who can forget Antmans legendary tweet

https://twitter.com/BadFilmTakes/status/1148064912406695937?s=19

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/robbiegoodwin/status/1218592027593539585?s=20

I would, no questions asked, buy any fighting game with Joe Pesci as a playable character. And then bitch about how they nerfed Joe Pesci because he's the only character anyone wants to use.

One of his fatalities or brutalities would have to be what he did to Billy Batts in Goodfellas

McCloud posted:

BvS has a ton of those. One that sticks out was some goober complaining about why Batman had an armoured suit for fighting Superman.

And who can forget Antmans legendary tweet

https://twitter.com/BadFilmTakes/status/1148064912406695937?s=19

Seriously, that either has to be someone with no understanding of undertones/subtext or blatant trolling

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Seriously, that either has to be someone with no understanding of undertones/subtext or blatant trolling

Ian Miles Cheong is a notorious imbecile. He is guaranteed to have the dumbest and most uninformed opinion on any given topic.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone got any stories of people missing the point in movies? Yesterday, I had a friend unironically tell me it's ok for a white guy to voice Apu, citing RDJ being able to play a black guy in Tropic Thunder.

...how do you not watch a movie that hard?

I mean basically anyone who complains about people "injecting" politics into Star Wars: a franchise made during the end of the Vietnam war where a band of rebels fights bad guys literally called Stormtroopers.

Honestly, anyone who complains about politics in movies/tv/video games ever. It turns out most adult artists are going to use their art as an expression of the times, so politics is going to crop up basically everywhere.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
A lot of people in America don't really think that a critique of capitalism is "political", because that word is reserved for things that are up for debate. The merits and flaws of capitalism are not up for debate in this country, so people like Cheong have to maintain a willful ignorance of stuff like Robocop in order to act like that discussion doesn't exist.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

A lot of people in America don't really think that a critique of capitalism is "political", because that word is reserved for things that are up for debate. The merits and flaws of capitalism are not up for debate in this country, so people like Cheong have to maintain a willful ignorance of stuff like Robocop in order to act like that discussion doesn't exist.

I saw someone online discussing Parasite by saying "Yeah, it's a really interesting take on class, but the reason that doesn't appeal to Western audiences is because class doesn't exist in America. That's an Asian problem". That was an insanely hot take, and they were quickly shouted down for their ignorance.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Detective No. 27 posted:

I basically had to put on my internal white noise machine whenever GI Bills started talking in class discussions. It was always the same poo poo.

This but old people, I had so many “old kid” classmates who wouldn’t shut the gently caress up.

therattle posted:

I took some family pictures over the holidays. My nephew had just had a birthmark removed from his nose, which was heavily scabbed. My brother has asked if I am able to remove this. I don't have Photoshop, I am using Capture One (free trial, works very nicely so far). Any suggestions or tips?

I’ll always recommend GIMP

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

I saw someone online discussing Parasite by saying "Yeah, it's a really interesting take on class, but the reason that doesn't appeal to Western audiences is because class doesn't exist in America. That's an Asian problem". That was an insanely hot take, and they were quickly shouted down for their ignorance.

That's a spicy meatball, wow

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Franchescanado posted:

Wasn’t this also basically the NYT’s review?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

Wasn’t this also basically the NYT’s review?

No idea, don't read that rag. :smug:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Affinity Photo is another photoshop alternative that has a two week full trial and is just a $50 purchase if you want to keep it, which is nice if you can't stand GIMP's trash fire UX but don't want to get roped into paying Adobe every month forever.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Thanks all! I’ll look into them.

Watched Parasite last night. Man, I love being surprised by films. It’s extremely well made. Great film.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

cebrail posted:

Similarly: After seeing the movie [The Social Network], Zuckerberg was quoted as saying he is "interested to see what effect The Social Network has on entrepreneurship", noting that he gets "lots of messages from people who claim that they have been very much inspired... to start their own company."

I’ve discovered a recent trend where a lot of leftists I follow - podcast hosts, twitter personalities, various professional Posters™️ - seem to think The Social Network is a hagiography and not a movie about how the only thing preventing Mark Zuckerberg from becoming the world’s greatest supervillain is how pathetic he is. Judging by Sorkin’s recent open letter to Zuck, that certainly seems to be what he intended - and I’m no Sorkin fan, but I don’t really understand the perspective. He doesn’t look “cool” at all in that movie, and even the actual “cool” guy in that movie turns out to be a pedo.

(I am aware Sean Parker is also not at all the rockstar he is in the movie in real life.)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Wait who in the social network is a pedo

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Were other people aware that they're rebooting Fantasy Island as a Hostel riff + Instgram models

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6O30nJ02PU

morestuff fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 20, 2020

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Coffee And Pie posted:

timberlake creeping on all those teen girls

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Affinity Photo is another photoshop alternative that has a two week full trial and is just a $50 purchase if you want to keep it, which is nice if you can't stand GIMP's trash fire UX but don't want to get roped into paying Adobe every month forever.

GIMP's default UX was built in the raging fires of Hell, but I've found that there are quite a few plugins that get it to mimic the Photoshop CC interface pretty closely nowadays (not quite to the level of "is the same but just has the serial number filed off," but much better than GIMP out of the box). Still requires an hour or two of customization to get the interface to where you might want it to be, but GIMP has come a long way from the dumpster fire it was 18-19 years ago, when I was in college.

Reminds me that I need to check when my Photoshop billing date is.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

Sean Parker is caught partying with and giving cocaine to underaged girls.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Detective No. 27 posted:

I basically had to put on my internal white noise machine whenever GI Bills started talking in class discussions. It was always the same poo poo.

I recall one time some neckbeard tried to argue that they shoild raise the voting age because they don't know anything but joining the military at 18 was fine because you didn't have to know anything to go to war anyway.

The one time I was glad that 5 gi bill dudes were in the class.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Woah, Safdies're on Chapo today

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TOO CLOSE TO HOME.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm starting to think Xanadu is just plain good,

Let's not go crazy.

Skwirl posted:

I'm sure I've told this story before, but I met two different guys in college who were there on the GI bill and joined the Marines at least in part because of the movie Full Metal Jacket.

I know a guy who did the same thing fresh out of high school.

In 2005.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dolemite is such a charming film.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The new Netflix short Lynch did is worth it entirely for the image of Lynch asking a monkey "are you now or have you ever been a card carrying member of the communist party?"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

It's really great that I was able to find this before I did an episode on Fiend Without a Face because, yeah, for a ten-page short story, it's just objectively way better than Fiend Without a Face... which turns out is, I dunno, kind of fun and silly, I guess?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One of his fatalities or brutalities would have to be what he did to Billy Batts in Goodfellas

That is the kind of person who is constantly wrong about everything. Follow up

https://twitter.com/BadFilmTakes/status/1148217527652294656?s=19

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Goddamn. I just can't stress enough how great Ultra Q is. I know I've said it before, but each episode I watch is like an incredibly tightly scripted, special-effects heavy, 1950s b-movie creature feature. They feel way more like American monster movies to me than any other Japanese films that I've seen, more like The Deadly Mantis than Godzilla.

I'll probably bring this up every time I watch a couple of episodes. I'm just trying to stretch out watching all of them for as long as I can.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Coaaab posted:

timberlake creeping on all those teen girls

I completely forgot about that

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Goddamn. I just can't stress enough how great Ultra Q is. I know I've said it before, but each episode I watch is like an incredibly tightly scripted, special-effects heavy, 1950s b-movie creature feature. They feel way more like American monster movies to me than any other Japanese films that I've seen, more like The Deadly Mantis than Godzilla.

I'll probably bring this up every time I watch a couple of episodes. I'm just trying to stretch out watching all of them for as long as I can.

Ooh. I'd been eyeing those Ultraman Bluray sets and wondering if this series that introduces him is worth it, and I randomly click on this thread :)

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
If you could pitch a group of living actors to stick in a discussion that would be funnier than this I'd like to hear it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibPkLdbG4VU

I wish Harry Dean Stanton was still alive

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I completely forgot about that

I never heard about this. What was his sex creep thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I never heard about this. What was his sex creep thing?

In the movie Parker is caught doing as such. Not JT in real life.