Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Are they linking to video that was already available online, or did they upload new versions entirely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lol at them including every music video except Anyone Can Play Guitar and Pop Is Dead.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
professionally shot shows in hd own own own

also bonnaroo 06

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Sand Monster posted:

Are they linking to video that was already available online, or did they upload new versions entirely?
Yeah actually seems like they uploaded all the music videos and other assorted media in the highest quality they had.

Never even saw this one before:
https://radiohead.com/library/#kida/motion-picture-soundtrack

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

HD DAD posted:

Lol at them including every music video except Anyone Can Play Guitar and Pop Is Dead.

Sure, Pop Is Dead is embarrassingly bad, but own it, Radiohead!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Looks like they're reissuing their old shirts too! Hell yeah! Now I can finally get back this hand-me-down (it was my brother's first) one I had in the mid-00s:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
No wonder the Pyramid Song video always compressed so poorly; there's compression artifacts used in it stylistically. Now you can actually see the detail; look there's the "astral car" even!

https://radiohead.com/library/#amnesiac/pyramid-song/2:3

edit:

Wowow this Colbert appearance is great and Comedy Central never released more than a few bits of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSidEniNew

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 20, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oops, I just spent 2 hours watching old live performances from the 90s :shobon:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Pontificating rear end posted:

edit:

Wowow this Colbert appearance is great and Comedy Central never released more than a few bits of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSidEniNew

Is this the only video uploaded to YouTube? I clicked around a bit but it seemed their other videos are through their own player so I can’t stream to my TV.

Also man do I miss the Colbert Report. :(

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Ballz posted:

Is this the only video uploaded to YouTube? I clicked around a bit but it seemed their other videos are through their own player so I can’t stream to my TV.

Also man do I miss the Colbert Report. :(

According to Reddit a bunch of the live videos have never been released, including bonaroo 06 and some of the AMSP shows.
Someone also said every US show in 18 was pro shot so maybe there's more to come?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Say what you will about their musical output, Radiohead seems like just the most gracious band of their stature. In Rainbows’ release basically created the model for Bandcamp, but I can’t imagine another worldwide band doing that. Especially in 2007.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
This 2017 Tel Aviv show is gorgeously shot. Great set too

https://radiohead.com/library/#amsp/2017-07-19-tel-aviv

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

Say what you will about their musical output, Radiohead seems like just the most gracious band of their stature. In Rainbows’ release basically created the model for Bandcamp, but I can’t imagine another worldwide band doing that. Especially in 2007.

I’m not disagreeing with you but NIN was co-pioneering this at the exact same time.

Also I think the virtue of it isn’t necessarily black and white. You could argue it either way.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
That’s a good point. They put out Ghosts and The Slip in the Pay What You Want format, right? And Year Zero has something funky about its release but maybe it was just the ARG?

Yeah, NIN is definitely up there with Radiohead for giving that sort of thing a whirl/access in general.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Trent Reznor-produced Saul Williams "Niggy Tardust" album was 100% pay-what-you-want and came out really close to the same time as In Rainbows. But it didn't really do what they hoped, so Reznor was slightly less generous when it was time for him to try it on his own music, haha. Ghosts had 9 free tracks and 27 behind the paywall, although it was still really cheap, like 5 bucks, plus higher tiered options. And probably more significantly, it was licensed under Creative Commons, so for all intents and purposes it was basically free.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

If you want to talk history, Smashing Pumpkins were probably the very first by getting Machina II out on the Internet for free 20 loving years ago.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
A worthless album isn't the same as a free album

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

No wonder the Pyramid Song video always compressed so poorly; there's compression artifacts used in it stylistically. Now you can actually see the detail; look there's the "astral car" even!

https://radiohead.com/library/#amnesiac/pyramid-song/2:3

Oh man, I thought exactly the same thing. It's like putting glasses on for the first time!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hopefully in a few weeks a new album gets slapped onto the library without any fanfare.

In fact if that doesn't happen I'll be shaking with rage.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

stev posted:

Hopefully in a few weeks a new album gets slapped onto the library without any fanfare.

I'm quite certain they'll upload The Queen Of Limbs and A Moon Shaped Pool (Correct Track Order Version) any day now

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s a greatest hits album, but all the tracks have been re-recorded in the style of Pablo Honey

Actually I’d be down for that

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

stev posted:

They're pretty much all working on independent projects now. I wouldn't expect a new group album any time soon.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Here's a full concert that's on youtube. Timestamped at Talk Show Host with funky outro :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7KhOEqcS8M&t=868s

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Someone gets really excited when Thom says he's going to play Fog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rDdAIOxAPo&t=2375s

This audio became a B-side I think?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Sand Monster posted:

They're pretty much all working on independent projects now. I wouldn't expect a new group album any time soon.

Yeah, it’s a side project + kid a reissue year. Maybe we’ll get something in 2021.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Someone gets really excited when Thom says he's going to play Fog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rDdAIOxAPo&t=2375s

This audio became a B-side I think?

Yeah this version is on the Com Lag EP and sounds really good. I had a friend in college with a ridiculously nice, antique baby grand piano jammed into the living room of their tiny house... it had been in their family forever... Fog was the first song I learned to play beginning-to-end that I actually liked (a song I wanted to play, vs a boring classical song I didn't actually want to play)

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 22, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Are the videos on the site constantly buffering for anyone else or is it just me?

e: nvm, it finally seems to be working

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 23, 2020

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Sand Monster posted:

If Pearl Jam can finally poo poo out an album in TYOOL 2020, anything is possible

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah this version is on the Com Lag EP and sounds really good. I had a friend in college with a ridiculously nice, antique baby grand piano jammed into the living room of their tiny house... it had been in their family forever... Fog was the first song I learned to play beginning-to-end that I actually liked (a song I wanted to play, vs a boring classical song I didn't actually want to play)

Why is the original version of Fog so disliked (including, apparently, by Thom)? It's probably my favourite b-side. I guess it's too 'nice'...?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
OG Fog is top ten Radiohead for me. The production is just lovely - aside from Thom’s vocal, the instrumentation is completely mono, which is an interesting choice that just works.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Answers Me posted:

Why is the original version of Fog so disliked (including, apparently, by Thom)? It's probably my favourite b-side. I guess it's too 'nice'...?

Thom has called it "silly" I think because he doesn't like the lyrics. I guess they are kind of vague, but I always liked the lyrics and the foggy imagery. Sometimes I wonder if it's a case of "The Bends" where he doesn't want people to take it too seriously, so he downplays the song.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think Thom disliked the electronic version when he was referring to the silly comments. That was the version they released as a b-side or whatever. The piano version that came later is the version he likes and turned out as-intended from what I gather, but I'm purely speculating here. The way he talks before playing the piano version about how the song got messed-up in the studio seems to validate my thoughts, though.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Fog was debuted in 2000 and sounded like the 2003 version. It seems like Thom just regretted fooling with a song that was already good and thought he made it worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6YUqwnbKpQ

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

The Trent Reznor-produced Saul Williams "Niggy Tardust" album was 100% pay-what-you-want and came out really close to the same time as In Rainbows. But it didn't really do what they hoped, so Reznor was slightly less generous when it was time for him to try it on his own music, haha. Ghosts had 9 free tracks and 27 behind the paywall, although it was still really cheap, like 5 bucks, plus higher tiered options. And probably more significantly, it was licensed under Creative Commons, so for all intents and purposes it was basically free.

Trent had also been talking about doing instant, cheap online distribution for studio music pretty much since 2006 when he was just fully mask off about how much he hated Interscope. Radiohead swooped in and did it before he had a major release to do it with. The Saul Williams album tanked (I chipped in MY fivebux though,) Ghosts did so well he was able to give out The Slip for free, but then he did the score for The Social Network, which he had to release through Columbia because Sony was distributing the movie... turns out he actually just hated Interscope and not record labels in general and spent the entire promotional tour for Hesitation Marks walking back all the cool revolutionary poo poo he did over the previous five years. :negative:

Anyways, if y'all haven't noticed, Meeting People is Easy and The Most Gigantic Lying Mouth of All Time are up for free on the new public library thingy, as well as all three of the really cool In Rainbows live webcasts. Nice of them to include the cassette from OKNOTOK too.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
My girlfriend got me the A Moon Shaped Pool special edition for my birthday-- the one that comes with 2x LP and 2x CDs, a large art book, and a band of recording tape around it all.

I have to wonder what is on the tape.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

At least one person spooled theirs up and it ended up being a half second of Jigsaw Falling into Place.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
If I had the means I'd try to do it as well, but who knows, it could just be silence between tracks too.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks for the link to that public library thing. In the Austin City Limits show I didn't recognize quite a few songs - are those b-sides? I guess I'm a bit ignorant of what isn't on their full releases.

I've been a huge fan since buying The Bends at a Sam Goody (lol) in 1995. I listen to almost nothing but electronic music, but they always stuck with me, probably because they integrate electronic music so often (which is probably why I love Thom's Anima album so much). All their albums are really great in their own way, but I'd have to put Amnesiac and Kid A at the top.

p.s. in the video for daydreaming why is thom's t-shirt so huge? tyia for your thoughts

Filipino posted:

I know everyone hates ranking albums but how about choosing your favorite 10 Radiohead songs in no particular order? Would this be acceptable or just bad and dumb? I'd be really interested to see some posters lists.

street spirit
a wolf at the door
sit down stand up
videotape
pyramid song
knives out
separator
in limbo
lucky
burn the witch

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 15, 2020

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

When I was younger it would have been songs like Just, Paranoid Android, My Iron Lung, You, Nice Dream etc. because I was a really big fan of Jonny's guitar work.

Nowadays it's songs like How To Disappear, Codex, Nude, Climbing Up The Walls, Reckoner, Amazing Sounds of Orgy, Burn The Witch etc. but to be honest I think everyone's favorite songs for this band would be different every day of the week. They have such a thoroughly diverse catalog that no matter your mood, there's always a bunch of tracks that scratch the itch.

actionjackson posted:

p.s. in the video for daydreaming why is thom's t-shirt so huge? tyia for your thoughts

Thom dresses weird sometimes. I watched a video interview between him and Zane Lowe (I think?) for his Anima album and he was wearing black leather pants and a whole mess of golden bracelets while excitedly talking about the health benefits of napping. Then there's this suit he wore with his new girlfriend for the Suspiria thing which I hope to one day see him dance in:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

That looks like some sort of 80s leisure outfit.

I just got "The Eraser" on vinyl. I haven't heard it before but I just assumed it would be good, and it is!