Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Nobody pronounces syrup like sear-up in Battle Creek Michigan. loving amateurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Croatoan posted:

I think I'm actually gonna pay for CBS All Access just because of Picard. smdh at myself

:same:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Oasx posted:

Avenue 5 was pretty bad, with discount Jack Black being the worst of the bunch.

I want to watch it, but the ads for it on seemingly every podcast I've listened to have been really annoying. And I also really don't like Josh Gad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nobody likes Josh Gad.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Oasx posted:

Avenue 5 was pretty bad, with discount Jack Black being the worst of the bunch.

I didn't even realize it wasn't jack black

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Philthy posted:

I am really really REALLY enjoying The Outsider. It's coming off like True Detective season 1 but it's actually going there!

I don't know what this is supposed to mean.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, I'm sure Josh Gad's mom likes him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There were all sorts of fan theories in season 1 of True Detective that it was going to include supernatural stuff. Since this one's Stephen King, I'd imagine it does.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't dislike Gad, but he has to be used for the right part. Avenue 5 is the right part, but if you hate his presence that's not going to work for you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't dislike Gad, but he has to be used for the right part. Avenue 5 is the right part, but if you hate his presence that's not going to work for you.

Hmmmm.

I'm pretty sure the right part for Josh Gad is in some manner of customer service. Perhaps a Wendy's drive through.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I mean, I'm sure Josh Gad's mom likes him.

I remember reading somewhere that Jon Stewart really loved him in the brief time he was on the Daily Show.

I will also say I liked him as the incompetent College Republican officer in that Party Down episode.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't dislike Gad

Mods??

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I probably did the smart thing and avoided a lot of stuff where he was massively in your face. I remember that 1600 Penn show but not to the degree where I actually remember any part about it, I think he's fine as Olaf in Frozen and other animated stuff, and just the odd other appearance. It's kinda like wrestling where you have to have people to hate on, or you'll just be cheering both sides.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Avenue 5 was fantastic and Hugh Laurie switching accents was hilarious. :colbert:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Avenue 5 was fantastic and Hugh Laurie switching accents was hilarious. :colbert:

That scene was great. At first I was wondering if it was genuinely a slip by Hugh during the rant, but I realized that there's no way they would have let that through to the final cut. They waited JUST the right amount of time to call attention to it though that made me doubt it which was perfect comedic timing.

The time delay joke, while not all that funny while it was happening, was amusing that Judd insisted that it was something that could be "fixed" and everyone humored him which got the only one that could probably legitimately help them killed in the process. It seems to be the central theme of the show. It's not enough to recognize the ignorance of those in power, you must stand up to them or the bad poo poo is going to follow all the same.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm glad Josh Gad exists because after Les Miserables there was this weird talking point about how Hollywood should hire more musical theater actors so now whenever anyone trots that out you can just point to his career and the bizarre backlash the dude has to his very existence and go "see? People can't handle someone that looks like a musical theater actor being in hollywood movies"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

"Just don't let Russell Crowe sing" is the only thing that needed to have been learnt from Les Mis.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

EL BROMANCE posted:

"Just don't let Russell Crowe sing" is the only thing that needed to have been learnt from Les Mis.

I walked out at the fake teeth. :shrug:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You'll love Uncut Gems!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I thought Josh Gad did wonderfully in beauty and the beast :shrug:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

EL BROMANCE posted:

- Don't let Russell Crowe sing
- Don't force the actors to sing live on-set, as opposed to lip-syncing, because this forces a lot of unnecessary close-ups
- Don't let Tom Hooper direct musicals (or direct anything, really)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I still haven’t seen it, but I did not know until recently that the songs in Les Mis were not ADR and I still can’t believe it.

I know the answer is “Tom Hooper”, but who the gently caress would consider that a good idea with a cast full of actors who aren’t known for their musical experience?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hope people keep giving Tom Hooper money to do wild and crazy stuff that shouldn't exist. I know out of The King's Speech and Cats which I'm more likely to watch out of sheer spectacle and self hatred.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I still haven’t seen it, but I did not know until recently that the songs in Les Mis were not ADR and I still can’t believe it.

I know the answer is “Tom Hooper”, but who the gently caress would consider that a good idea with a cast full of actors who aren’t known for their musical experience?

Seriously, in a movie full of bad decisions, that's potentially the worst.

Well, that or the SPLAT in Javert's Suicide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRzvdQh8D2Q&t=129s

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I just want to point out that Josh Gad is worth an estimated $12,000,000. If he put that in a zero risk 6% annuity and never touched the principal and never worked again he'd earn $26,000 every two weeks for the rest of his life.

We're on a TV forum bitching about how we don't like him. I'm not defending him, I'm just saying obviously some people like him. gently caress I wish I had that kind of cash.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

fwiw a fair amount of Moulin Rouge! was sung live on set, and that worked out. But Baz Luhrmann owns, Kidman and McGregor have good voices, and they had a lot of music theatre actors filling other spaces.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Like the good/bad CG argument, it all comes down to knowing what your talent can do and how to enhance that.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Croatoan posted:

So I only watched the pilot just now but the show Everything's Gonna Be OK seems pretty good. It's on Hulu from freeform so expect it to be at least a little sappy. But it's good! It did not suffer from pilotitis imo.

All the fortune cookies fortunes from my favorite middle of nowhere Chinese place have had advertisements for this show for the past two months. The latest was "Skinny jeans will never be out of style, but EVERYTHING IS GONNA BE OK(tm)" with a url and the Hulu icon on the back.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

howe_sam posted:

The show got them together then broke them up so many times that it strained belief they would successfully make a go of it twenty years later. I do wonder if the ending would've worked better if they had been more upfront about the big twist, and that the show wasn't about finding love, but moving on after loss.

Maybe they shouldn’t have killed the mother and have the ending be about how you can’t force love, that it comes naturally and if it doesn’t then it isn’t love, and that it isn’t saying that love doesn’t take work and effort because it does but it’s not about fitting a square peg in a round hole like robin and ted

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So is Cobra a show about society collapsing into Mad Max or something way more milquetoast?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'll give you Russell Crowe and Redmayne, but Hugh Jackman started in musicals before he got into film.

The problem I have with most Hollywood musicals since Moulin Rouge: they keep getting made by directors that don't know how the gently caress singers sing, that's how we get casting decisions like Gerard Butler as as the Phantom, or why Emmy Rossum (who grew up singing at the Met) switches between sounding like someone who has never sung in their life and someone with even a little bit of technique.

Baz Luhrmann produces operas, he knows how to direct singers because he's been part of that process and knows how to use all the tools in his toolbox.

This rant brought to you by an opera singer that is sick and tired of Hollywood trivializing how loving hard it is to sing well

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

I just want to point out that Josh Gad is worth an estimated $12,000,000. If he put that in a zero risk 6% annuity and never touched the principal and never worked again he'd earn $26,000 every two weeks for the rest of his life.

We're on a TV forum bitching about how we don't like him. I'm not defending him, I'm just saying obviously some people like him. gently caress I wish I had that kind of cash.

I didn't think it was possible to like him less but here we are.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bull3964 posted:

The card playing scene had me in tears.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNXq7NYpKkk
Why does the makeup on the good guy look so bad? He’s almost green. I’ve noticed that on a few Netflix things. Do they use the same makeup people?

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working

LashLightning posted:

I haven't gotten around to watching Carnival Row, but all the adverts that Twitch showed me makes me think that The Watch's pre-production team took a lot of notes from CR's production team.

Discworld has a load of anachronisms, I could see gas lights being a thing, and individual premises having an imp power a crude electromagnet to power some shop lights, but electric lamps are a bit too out of place, and I'm not keen on making Sybil Ramkin conventionally attractive (young, thin, etc) and perhaps there's something to unpack regarding the casting of Carcer.

Perhaps they're going for a "Vimes wants revenge for Carcer killing John Keel sometime in the past", and since Keel, Vimes' mentor, is also portrayed by a black man it isn't as bad as a situation.

Tudor/Elizabethian With Knobs On is what I expect from Discworld, not this Victorian stuff.

My greatest dislike is how Vimes wears a badge like every cop in every American cop movie set somewhere in the vicinity of California wears their badge. It looks ridiculous on him, even if it's short hand for a thick audience of what they ought to expect from him.

I'm a Pratchett nerd who also hates fantasy...so I'm afraid this show is going to be garbage.

At the same time, I expected Carnival Row to be a disaster but it was surprisingly OK so - who knows!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I was all excited they made a Cobra tv series and was hoping Stallone would be walkin' around kicking everyones rear end again, but it appears to be bullshit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

McSpanky posted:

I don't know what this is supposed to mean.

True Detectives S1's villain would kind of go on about Lovecraftian horror stuff and some fans really got themselves convinced it was gonna turn into a supernatural show by the end of the season. I haven't started Outsider yet but being a Stephen King story (and King being heavily influenced by Lovercraft) its probably kind of similar to what they were thinking.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aces High posted:

I'll give you Russell Crowe and Redmayne, but Hugh Jackman started in musicals before he got into film.

The problem I have with most Hollywood musicals since Moulin Rouge: they keep getting made by directors that don't know how the gently caress singers sing, that's how we get casting decisions like Gerard Butler as as the Phantom, or why Emmy Rossum (who grew up singing at the Met) switches between sounding like someone who has never sung in their life and someone with even a little bit of technique.

Baz Luhrmann produces operas, he knows how to direct singers because he's been part of that process and knows how to use all the tools in his toolbox.

This rant brought to you by an opera singer that is sick and tired of Hollywood trivializing how loving hard it is to sing well

#teavana

Chicago managed to pull it off despite casting people who weren't really singers in the leads. But again they got pretty lucky, I think, in Zeta-Jones and Zellweger sounding pretty drat good, and were careful to really work within the range their leads did have.

ffs now I'm sad there haven't been any good musicals since Moulin Rouge! or Chicago, really. Not big productions, at any rate. I love La La Land but that movie woulda hit harder with people who could really sing and dance, even if it means we'd lose Stone's incredible performance.

I liked Nine but that movie was a flop and is trash. But it's just the kind of trash I enjoy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Streets of Fire, Forbidden Zone, and The Last Dragon are the only movie musicals I need.

Also maybe Cats but I haven’t seen that disaster yet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm sorry my favorite movie musical of all time is the Bollywood movie Kick. Singham is a close second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

bagrada posted:

All the fortune cookies fortunes from my favorite middle of nowhere Chinese place have had advertisements for this show for the past two months. The latest was "Skinny jeans will never be out of style, but EVERYTHING IS GONNA BE OK(tm)" with a url and the Hulu icon on the back.

There was a clip on Hulu of a girl in the show going on about getting “white girl drunk” and it probably lasted less than two minutes but it felt like forever.