Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
they're also not fun to fight, maybe apart from the octopus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this spaghetti is actually pretty fine. there's a big poop in it, obviously, but if you picked the poop out its decent spaghetti

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

FoldableHuman posted:

At least Yoko Taro has the self confidence to stand by "I like sexy ladies" for 2B's design.

The female characters in Nier: Automata are mostly well-written, but I've always thought the character design for 2B in that game is just embarrassingly bad. I respect the dude is outright horny but the apocalyptic game about relatively deep themes does not also need to be an upskirt simulator.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 21, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"But how else will I get people to engage with my deep philosophical themes if not through panty shots to keep them invested?" asks another developer.

"I like philosophy and also check out dat rear end!" says Yoko Taro.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
"How can someone who is supposed to engage in melee fights wear high heels?" - Some nerd about verisimilitude

"I like ladies" - Yoko Taro not giving the slightest gently caress about what they think.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Arcsquad12 posted:

"But how else will I get people to engage with my deep philosophical themes if not through panty shots to keep them invested?" asks another developer.

"I like philosophy and also check out dat rear end!" says Yoko Taro.

It's going to sound really dumb, but I know a good few people who didn't know who any of those philosophers were but did a quick google when people pointed out the name references and began to familiarize themselves with them, even if on a basic surface level, which until they played Automata, they literally hadn't done before at all. So if nothing else, introducing a bunch of nerds to even a basic baby level of philosophy opens some doors.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i checked my imgur the other day and i have a folder with a singular picture in it:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
2B's design is actually pretty cool, slap some leggings or a short on her and I don't think anyone would have much against it. Game does a decent job of avoiding the upskirts when it's got control of the camera but they're there and that's kinda undeniable.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
2B's design eventually paved the way for FF14 to have bigger asses.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

See, I don't mind 2B because Yoko Taro is up front and honest with "Yeah I was jerking it when I made her. So what?" And I can respect that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Leal posted:

2B's design eventually paved the way for FF14 to have bigger asses.

The butt got nerfed too.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/12/16/21024749/final-fantasy-14-2b-butt-glamour

The saga of 2B's bottom.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

being honest about being horny is better than trying to justify the design but it’s still really gross and out of place

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And you've just described a huge swathe of Japanese media.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah and i loving hate it

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

RottenK posted:

Since Swery was mentioned, i want to say that while Deadly Premonition is great, the thing that really makes me like and respect him is the fact that after he was heavily criticised for the yikes treatment of the trans character in DP his next game put a transgender person's struggle at the center of it's plot, and did it respectfully and very well, at least according to what i've heard of it.
Tbf Deadly Premonition didn't really have a trans character per say, more of a effeminate guy who it turns out was a murderous secret transvestite? It wasn't handled well.

Its hard to talk about his latest game without spoiling it, but its a pretty standard puzzle platformer thats genuinely elevated by its story. The puzzles focus around dealing harm to yourself to the extent that your 'morph ball mode' is just your severed head rolling around but its handled with suprising taste and restraint? Also I'm not trans and I only watched an LP of it so take my opinion with a pinch of salt, but I thought it was really empathetic towards the main character in a way you rarely see. like I'd put it up there with Gone home in terms of queer as gently caress games that made me cry.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

W-what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The algorithm’s been recommending me The Quartering videos pretty aggressively. He’s got that nazi look about him. Is he one?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess unnecessary sex and violence could also be said about most media, not exclusively Japan. I mean how many people watched Game of Thrones for its riveting sex scenes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Arcsquad12 posted:

I guess unnecessary sex and violence could also be said about most media, not exclusively Japan. I mean how many people watched Game of Thrones for its riveting sex scenes.

Nier Automata and even Drakengard 3, the game about being Horny on Main, have less fanservice than any prestige drama on TV.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The algorithm’s been recommending me The Quartering videos pretty aggressively. He’s got that nazi look about him. Is he one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKK8orrcwUY

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dias posted:

2B's design is actually pretty cool, slap some leggings or a short on her and I don't think anyone would have much against it. Game does a decent job of avoiding the upskirts when it's got control of the camera but they're there and that's kinda undeniable.
Like, sure the game might do a decent job of avoiding upskirts when it has control of the camera, but it explicitly keeps track of how many times you look up her skirt yourself so that it can give you an achievement for it.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

he's first and foremost a grifter and will say whatever his audience wants. he has actually admitted as much. he spews alt-right poo poo but is less respectable than the average nazi in that he will walk back on anything he says if confronted about if, before immediately re-adopting those beliefs when the conversation is over. also, videos, very bad.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

this is amazing

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ghostlight posted:

Like, sure the game might do a decent job of avoiding upskirts when it has control of the camera, but it explicitly keeps track of how many times you look up her skirt yourself so that it can give you an achievement for it.

Treat it as a Disco Elysium-esque provocation, you literally get told What Are You Doing if you do it. You don't have to say the fascist things, you don't have to look up her skirt.

(that's tongue-in-cheek, but I think the game not sexualizing 2B in shots despite her dress being VERY sexy is one of those things that make the dumb poo poo more palatable. It's still there and it didn't really need to be there, but it's not, I dunno, Senran Kagura)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RottenK posted:

the only good thing that came out of the 3rd birthday is the LP of it by Woolie of the former Super Best Friends, in which you can hear a man's soul die.

Correction: Two good things; The Dark Id did an LP of it too.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

yes

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He spent quite a bit of time moaning about how the new She-Ra's tits weren't big enough and she was teaching young girls that they didn't have to care about their appearance because she wore bike shorts.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

See, I don't mind 2B because Yoko Taro is up front and honest with "Yeah I was jerking it when I made her. So what?" And I can respect that.

The I-No Theorum

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

They un needed it after

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Ghostlight posted:

He spent quite a bit of time moaning about how the new She-Ra's tits weren't big enough and she was teaching young girls that they didn't have to care about their appearance because she wore bike shorts.

im surprised i didn't see more chud rage about that show. it even has gays and now a nonbinary person in it, you'd think that'd be a magnet for bigot whining about :qq:degeneracy:qq: in cartoons

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Alaois posted:

The I-No Theorum

You Can Be Horny On Main If Your Character Is Supposed To Be Horny

See: Bayonetta, I-No, Kano in MK11

I was watching some videos by a dude called RagnarRox because they showed up as suggestions too, his Rule of Rose video is a pretty good review of one of those interesting, but flawed games.

They should remake Rule of Rose.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I frequently roll my eyes and cut my head clean off resident evil 4 style whenever people in this thread go is this guy chud?? This guy is chud adjacent!! Nazi chud!! But The Quartering is absolutely a tremendous piece of poo poo and is rightfully called out as a fuckface voicing far right talking points, whether he believes in that poo poo or not.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

there was a lot of anger towards she-ra

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, it is kind of interesting how the YoRHa androids are very obviously designed as works of art, especially compared to the brutally functional machine life-forms. They're an (unabashedly horny) celebration of humankind - even their weapons are graceful and beautiful. You get the impression that whoever created them (big Nier Automata spoilers) knew the human race was doomed, and specifically wanted to carry over their sense of aesthetics as a final act of love, which contrasts with how the aliens didn't see the machine rebellion that killed them coming, and designed their creations only as tools. You can see why both sides decided that humans were the species they wanted to emulate.

Yeah, YT just picked the design because he thought it was hot, but it works for the story.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

watho posted:

there was a lot of anger towards she-ra

Which was entierly unfounded because 1) the show is fun a poo poo, 2) the original show (and He-Man) were kinda trash meant to sell toys and little more, 2a) were also queer as poo poo back in the 80s, and 3) all the guys screaming about She-Ra probably never watched the original show anyway because it was the Girls Show and they're all manly alpha men so why the gently caress should they care about a reboot of it.

Also The Quartering guy got banned for life from all Magic the Gathering events ever anywhere because he stalked and harassed an MtG cosplayer like a serial killer. That should tell you everything you need to know about Joshy Grossbeard.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 21, 2020

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahx5Jqu9d6w&t=2179s

this is what i meant when i said he's a grifter. guy just panders to the somehow still living anti-sjw crowd. its impossible to know how much of that poo poo he really believes b/c he's a huge coward.

his debate with destiny, another guy who might not actually have any real beliefs, was pretty funny. destiny made him retreat on pretty much every point he made.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Genuinely amazing to see people mad about the new thundercats for... making a show that copies the style of other contemporary popular kids shows. What next a transformers show with a tie in toy line??? Why cant things be how they were in the 80s?!?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, it is kind of interesting how the YoRHa androids are very obviously designed as works of art, especially compared to the brutally functional machine life-forms. They're an (unabashedly horny) celebration of humankind - even their weapons are graceful and beautiful. You get the impression that whoever created them (big Nier Automata spoilers) knew the human race was doomed, and specifically wanted to carry over their sense of aesthetics as a final act of love, which contrasts with how the aliens didn't see the machine rebellion that killed them coming, and designed their creations only as tools. You can see why both sides decided that humans were the species they wanted to emulate.

Yeah, YT just picked the design because he thought it was hot, but it works for the story.

There's something to be said about the contrast between the YoRHa who look human, but lack the soul, having no real ability to create and just work off of their orders, versus the machines who don't look human but occasionally just go berserk in weirdly human ways including founding religion or just sometimes doing a murder.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Nuebot posted:

There's something to be said about the contrast between the YoRHa who look human, but lack the soul, having no real ability to create and just work off of their orders, versus the machines who don't look human but occasionally just go berserk in weirdly human ways including founding religion or just sometimes doing a murder.

Or doing a suicide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BigRed0427 posted:

Plus she is well written, Hell all of the characters in that game are.

Ghostlight posted:

I heard that shows good.