Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Avenue 5 pilot was very unremarkable. And it didn’t feel like an Iannucci show at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wow, the first scene in the Judd HQ made me nauseous. What the hell? It's the cam action with the high contrast that didn't seem to sit well with me.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Julius CSAR posted:

There was a clip on Hulu of a girl in the show going on about getting “white girl drunk” and it probably lasted less than two minutes but it felt like forever.

The show itself is pretty good. That clip outside of context is annoying though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is it cool if I make a new megathread just for the "modern" Star Trek shows that are airing now or will air soon? That way we can close the old Discovery thread and have a place for new viewers to talk about the shows without getting lost in the "classic" Trek thread. I've got half an OP written already.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is it cool if I make a new megathread just for the "modern" Star Trek shows that are airing now or will air soon? That way we can close the old Discovery thread and have a place for new viewers to talk about the shows without getting lost in the "classic" Trek thread. I've got half an OP written already.

Why not just make a Picard thread?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just make a Picard thread like cap said. The disco thread hates disco and I don't want that weird toxicity in a Picard thread.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Star Trek does need more threads.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Go right ahead if you wanna merge Discovery/Picard into one thread famalam

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmfao or don't if the Trekkies are against it

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I wanted to enjoy Avenue 5 but it feels like they just failed to do anything interesting. Fhloston Paradise: The TV Show could've been amazing but it's only humans. Everyone being featured seems to be absolutely miserable, save for the bumbling rich guy who is too rich and bumbling to be anything but naively happy. The humor was pretty baseline, falling on old characters like "wants to speak to the manager" lady (who they literally named "Karen" after the meme) and "the married couple who hate each other but also still gently caress." Zach Woods gets the only entertaining character though he makes no logical sense quite yet, something that probably gets explained later. Everyone was 2-dimensional and cookie-cutter until Hugh Laurie got to use his native accent. Even the two main characters back at mission control are just "angry lady and jokey guy" at the moment.

Also there doesn't seem to be a consistent tone to the show. Serious silly is hard to pull off. Space shows are hard to pull off. I think this show is just way too difficult for the show runner to do.

At least it looks nice. The design of everything (other than the clothes) feels pretty slick. Even the engineering room looked real authentic! Bravo set designers!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 21, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Croatoan posted:

Just make a Picard thread like cap said. The disco thread hates disco and I don't want that weird toxicity in a Picard thread.

I'm sure all the grognards from the trek thread will show up to complain anyways if Picard isn't 10 episodes of him listening to flute recitals or whatever they think the show should be.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm sure all the grognards from the trek thread will show up to complain anyways if Picard isn't 10 episodes of him listening to flute recitals or whatever they think the show should be.

You're probably right. The inner light season 4!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Why not just make a Picard thread?

Croatoan posted:

The toxicity is going to follow no matter what, this would just allow us to merge the existing Disco thread with a new Picard thread since the former has been around for 3 years, it was written before we really even knew the premise of the show, and now the show doesn't even have that same premise anymore. The latter doesn't have a thread yet and will probably attract new folks who don't want to wade through the old Trek megathread. Plus I can future-proof it a bit by adding info on Lower Decks, Short Treks, and all the other shows in production.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The toxicity is going to follow no matter what, this would just allow us to merge the existing Disco thread with a new Picard thread since the former has been around for 3 years, it was written before we really even knew the premise of the show, and now the show doesn't even have that same premise anymore. The latter doesn't have a thread yet and will probably attract new folks who don't want to wade through the old Trek megathread. Plus I can future-proof it a bit by adding info on Lower Decks, Short Treks, and all the other shows in production.

Yea that makes sense.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

God, episode 5 of Warrior was some good loving Western! It was nice to finally see a version of what Bruce Lee wanted to do with the original idea of Kung-Fu after all this years.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Trek thread has been since since Aatrek ran it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vincent posted:

God, episode 5 of Warrior was some good loving Western! It was nice to finally see a version of what Bruce Lee wanted to do with the original idea of Kung-Fu after all this years.

That's was my episode of the year. Any show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DaveKap posted:

Zach Woods gets the only entertaining character though he makes no logical sense quite yet, something that probably gets explained later.

I think Zach Woods holds my personal record for actor with biggest swing from "completely disliked him in first role I saw him in" to "really love him in everything I've seen him in recently."

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Djarum posted:

The show itself is pretty good. That clip outside of context is annoying though.

Yeah it seems incredibly fine, if maybe a bit contrived (it is on FreeForm which is kind of their thing) but why they would choose to use that clip, and on Hulu where the ad is just the same clip every commercial break seems like a terrible idea.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Julius CSAR posted:

Yeah it seems incredibly fine, if maybe a bit contrived (it is on FreeForm which is kind of their thing) but why they would choose to use that clip, and on Hulu where the ad is just the same clip every commercial break seems like a terrible idea.

That and the butthole in the mirror thing was on the tv commercial so I imagine they are just reusing that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

4 episodes in and I still can't get over how bad the video quality of Doctor Who is this season. I'm not even sure if it's a full 720p at this point as aliasing is readily apparent on any horizontal lines. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me this was mastered to PAL standards. Color is muted and dynamic range is nowhere to be seen I'm watching copies purchased from Vudu but the streaming from the BBC-A app looks even worse.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Picard, Discovery Season 3, Lower Decks, etc thread here

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyyGvGlO5mI watched a new reality show called spy games, still confused why this is on Bravo.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

TelevisedInsanity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyyGvGlO5mI watched a new reality show called spy games, still confused why this is on Bravo.

watched a little of this and it is so dumb

I will be watching more

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Saw a commercial for that tonight and meant to DVR it because its so dumb but forgot. Glad I can see the dumb on Youtube.

I'm convinced the only reason Imposters wasn't a low key hit is because nobody had any idea Bravo makes shows.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

Saw a commercial for that tonight and meant to DVR it because its so dumb but forgot. Glad I can see the dumb on Youtube.

I'm convinced the only reason Imposters wasn't a low key hit is because nobody had any idea Bravo makes shows.

That is exactly why it wasn't a hit, it was full of great actors, it was written well and Inbar Lavi is a loving smokeshow.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bull3964 posted:

4 episodes in and I still can't get over how bad the video quality of Doctor Who is this season. I'm not even sure if it's a full 720p at this point as aliasing is readily apparent on any horizontal lines. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me this was mastered to PAL standards. Color is muted and dynamic range is nowhere to be seen I'm watching copies purchased from Vudu but the streaming from the BBC-A app looks even worse.

I don't know what's going on with Doctor Who, man. I've stuck with it for all this time and it's only now getting to the point where I'm seriously considering dropping it. It's not even funny bad like some of the early stuff was, it's just boring and lame as poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

It’s no better on BBC iPlayer.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

True Detectives S1's villain would kind of go on about Lovecraftian horror stuff and some fans really got themselves convinced it was gonna turn into a supernatural show by the end of the season. I haven't started Outsider yet but being a Stephen King story (and King being heavily influenced by Lovercraft) its probably kind of similar to what they were thinking.

Oh yeah, that stuff. Sometimes I don't mind catching shows after they pass the forums zeitgeist, I love this place but also some real dumb poo poo happens here.

I acquit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Seriously, in a movie full of bad decisions, that's potentially the worst.

Well, that or the SPLAT in Javert's Suicide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRzvdQh8D2Q&t=129s

Big missed opportunity to have him whang off a giant ship propeller imo

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s no better on BBC iPlayer.

I'm just really curious about what changed about either the production or distribution at this point. Some of it is the filming style, they've been doing a lot of center focus with blurred edges and most of the sets have been dimly lit with hazy smoke or something similar.

All of that is fine, but it's just so flat looking and lacking in any texture detail at all which, combined with the style they are doing just looks blech. Doctor Who has never been a looker, but it's been pretty sharp since the move to HD after the specials and I've been buying seasons on Vudu for awhile now because BBC-A always seems to gently caress up the audio mix (not to mention I can watch Vudu copies in the native 25fps while BBC-A has to adapt to 60hz) and this is the first year that I've been disappointed in the quality.

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know what's going on with Doctor Who, man. I've stuck with it for all this time and it's only now getting to the point where I'm seriously considering dropping it. It's not even funny bad like some of the early stuff was, it's just boring and lame as poo poo.

I've been fine with all the pieces of the episodes, but something feels off about everything behind the camera. I've already mentioned the video quality, but even the cinematography and editing has been....hard to watch? Again, Doctor Who was never really pushing those boundaries, but all of the shots have been overly close, it feels claustrophobic. All of the action scenes are a bit too frantically edited that it gets exhausting to follow what's going on. Some scenes feel arbitrarily short, switching to a different set of characters in a different place for a chunk of dialog before switching back when there was no real narrative reason to do so. It honestly feels like they are cutting a lot out of the episodes because it doesn't feel like any scene has the ability to breath.

The cast is great, but the final product just feels a bit more low rent than usual.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 21, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Justified is on Hulu now if for some reason you haven't seen one of the top 10 shows of the decade.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Altered Carbon is back Feb 27th.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

Excellent. I can't wait to see what Mackie does in the Kovacs role.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Justified is on Hulu now if for some reason you haven't seen one of the top 10 shows of the decade.

It's so good. Give it a few episodes to find its stride (pilot is really good, then it kind of simmers a bit before it really kicks into gear).

I will say it peaks at the second season, but that's not because the later seasons have any problems. Season 2 is just that good. There was no way in hell the show was ever going to top it.

bull3964 posted:

Tentatively excited, if they can avoid focusing too much on the dumbshittery they did with the envoys in S1 I'll be happy. I'm not normally one to complain when an adaptation changes things, but the changes they made were loving stupid.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's so good. Give it a few episodes to find its stride (pilot is really good, then it kind of simmers a bit before it really kicks into gear).

I will say it peaks at the second season, but that's not because the later seasons have any problems. Season 2 is just that good. There was no way in hell the show was ever going to top it.

Although I haven't seen the last season yet, it's hard for just about anything on TV to top Justified season 2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Iron Crowned posted:

Although I haven't seen the last season yet, it's hard for just about anything on TV to top Justified season 2.

I doubt anything will.

"it was already in the glass."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

STAC Goat posted:

True Detectives S1's villain would kind of go on about Lovecraftian horror stuff and some fans really got themselves convinced it was gonna turn into a supernatural show by the end of the season. I haven't started Outsider yet but being a Stephen King story (and King being heavily influenced by Lovercraft) its probably kind of similar to what they were thinking.

Remonds me of Season 1 of Fargo where people were certain Billy Bob Thornton's character was going to be revealed as the Devil. But nope, he was just some dude.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I doubt anything will.

"it was already in the glass."

Everything about that season was perfect, the writing, the acting, all of it. God drat I can't wait to get to it on my rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Justified has the greatest final scene of any show I have ever watched. And so many fantastic moments along the way.