Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Drone Jett posted:

Epstein didn't kill himself. :gethill:

TommyGun85 posted:

it was a joke. Drone Jett got it.

Oh god drat it. :boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

pixelbaron posted:

Here's the full short story

But yeah, he basically dies from his discovery because he can't slow down.

I think it was called "The Ship That Couldn't Slow Down"

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

TommyGun85 posted:

it was a joke. Drone Jett got it.
The slow knife penetrates the shield!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I would legit watch an entire episode devoted to earth and the belters seeing Eros move and running around waving their hands frantically, screaming "oh my preconceived notions about reality!"

im terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Matwic posted:

I'm much more worried about Marco and season 5. He is casted and written exactly like described in the books, but that is not a good thing. In both instances the problem is that every character talks about him as such a charismatic, passionate (and manipulative) leader, but in every scene we see him, he is just a complete poo poo spewing bullshit for minutes and minutes. Yet everybody still fall for his poo poo. That is very bad writing, it is one of the worst examples of "telling us not showing us".

It's almost as if being a complete bullshit spewing shitheel might be the type of person a lot of people are ready to follow.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Inaros message can be boiled down to "The status quo hasnt really changed, the inners will only maintain it this way until they can twist it to their end again", which is pretty believable to most of the belt. Most members of the OPA are in love with being freedom fighters against the opressor, and dont know what to do when there isnt an oppressor. Many of them dont want equality, but revenge. Inaros offers exactly that.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
They arent completely wrong are they? The belter refugees are dying in space after losing their home to earthers experiments and wont be allowed to the ring

And then the few who got through were almost immediately being oppressed and robbed by the UN expedition

Personally I felt Marco had some good points

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Elias_Maluco posted:

Personally I felt Marco had some good points

I'm from Eros and I say kill 'em all!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

davidspackage posted:

I hear you beltalowda

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

davidspackage posted:

I would like to know more.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Cojawfee posted:

I would like to know more.

Jokes aside, I got a very Starship Troopers vibe from the display boards (billboards? posters?) all over the Mars public areas this season.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

davidspackage posted:

I see a thread title

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah if the Barbapiccola hadn't gone through the ring the would have just starved in space. Earth and Mars colonists had a choice. Ganymede refugees and refugees from ships and stations that lack resources due to ganymede's problems and aren't allowed to land elsewhere have desperate need for a place like Ilus. The inners shouldn't have unilateral ability to tell them no.

It's the easy for Avasarala to preach caution while in her spacious government lodging and on her private shuttle.

I feel like the whole clusterfuck is one where everybody's position is understandable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah if the Barbapiccola hadn't gone through the ring the would have just starved in space. Earth and Mars colonists had a choice. Ganymede refugees and refugees from ships and stations that lack resources due to ganymede's problems and aren't allowed to land elsewhere have desperate need for a place like Ilus. The inners shouldn't have unilateral ability to tell them no.

It's the easy for Avasarala to preach caution while in her spacious government lodging and on her private shuttle.

I feel like the whole clusterfuck is one where everybody's position is understandable.

Avasarala was right to urge caution about heading into the ring for good reason that becomes apparent in the season. The belters were also right that they were screwed over because of inner problems. The inners should have done more to help the belters after Earth and Mars hosed up Ganymede. They could seize the Mao fortune and use that to feed the belt or whatever. He started it all.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Money's not the only issue, until Ganymede is 100% back (could be years) the food is just not there to a certain degree.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
In what is probably an accurate prediction of our near future, the show predicts that humans would prefer to blow people away trying to cross a border than address their needs and help them.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

davidspackage posted:

Just agreeing with this as thread title BTW.

edit: if not for S4, definitely for S5.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 21, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Just agreeing with this as thread title BTW.

Same.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Invalid Validation posted:

I guess the season was a little slow cause the books they’re adapting aren’t particularly good to begin with? Some book person go head and minor spoil me, is this really the end of Miller?

Miller is finally, 100% dead. He was only able to project himself into Holden's brain via that lump of protomolecule in the Roci's cargo hold. He's gone forever.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The only real hard science fiction ever written was done by Greg Egan, a man who regularly makes his readers look at formulas to understand what the main character looks like, does, and values. Everyone else is as soft as Jeff Epstein after meeting Amos.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nail Rat posted:

Avsarala appears to have a point but it's worth noting that while the Belters are waiting around the ring the new planets are apparently being parceled up for inner corporations. If the Belters were involved in the process of planning out the colonization it might go over better but in practice they're just getting screwed over

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kpj8mJGIls

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Krazyface posted:

Miller is finally, 100% dead. He was only able to project himself into Holden's brain via that lump of protomolecule in the Roci's cargo hold. He's gone forever.

While I think there's a 99.9% chance you're correct, in Abaddon's Gate book Miller talks about "the fallen world, the substrate, matter" which could possibly mean the Builders moved past being material entities, possibly to a different reality altogether. Depending on if they go that route, I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see one last appearance of Miller in book/season 9...but probably not. For one, it cheapens his sacrifice, so as much as people love him, it seems like it would lessen the story.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Has Avasarala ever worn the same outfit twice?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

I like that scene where Amos asks "what was she wearing?" It was so out of left field.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Amos likes old ladies, this is canon.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Krazyface posted:

Miller will always live on in our hearts. :D

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

gfarrell80 posted:

Miller will always live on in our hearts. :D
drat, do we need to do surgery to burn out the protomolecule clumps now?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

Imagine the size of her walk in closet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Avasarala ends up being a incompetent Space Hillary this season.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

etalian posted:

incompetent ... Hillary

No need to repeat yourself.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Clinton would be the wellwalla who installs a screen door on a spaceship.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've skipped all of the posts here to say I'm about 1.5 seasons into the Expanse. It sure is good. I sure hope it continues with the pretty hard science setting (aside from the super efficient drive) as I'm really digging things like the molten metal from shells that pierce through the hull of a ship hanging in place until the pilot makes a maneuver.

A bit of a bummer how I have to turn on subtitles whenever the belters talk though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've skipped all of the posts here to say I'm about 1.5 seasons into the Expanse. It sure is good. I sure hope it continues with the pretty hard science setting (aside from the super efficient drive) as I'm really digging things like the molten metal from shells that pierce through the hull of a ship hanging in place until the pilot makes a maneuver.

A bit of a bummer how I have to turn on subtitles whenever the belters talk though.

You'll start to get belter creole, sasa ke beratna? It's well worth it for the depth it provides the setting.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Nitrousoxide posted:

Other than "the protomolecule kinda does whatever" it'll keep up with what you want. Including fun things like zero-G firefights.

And to be honest the protomolecule is one of the least interesting things other than its existence being the catalyst for the far-more-interesting strife among earth/mars/belters

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I don't really think of the Epstein drive as violating science fiction too hard because it is science fiction. Fusion drives in general are speculative. Super efficient drives like the Epstein would be necessary to make space travel on the level of the Expanse possible, so it serves the story - IF this breakthrough happened, what would the resulting world look like?

Now obviously it handwaves away a lot of practical issues that come with it, such as that a fusion reaction that powerful would turn any ship into slag via waste heat. But you have to twist things a bit to serve a story sometimes.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

FairGame posted:

Other than "the protomolecule kinda does whatever" it'll keep up with what you want. Including fun things like zero-G firefights.

Well and sizes/speeds of things, they get pretty bad at times.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nail Rat posted:

You'll start to get belter creole, sasa ke beratna? It's well worth it for the depth it provides the setting.

I definitely appreciate the world building of the belters accent. I just wish there was a separate cc track that just came on for them.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish my wardrobe was 1/20th as amazing as Avasarala's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Dancer posted:

Well and sizes/speeds of things, they get pretty bad at times.

Not to mention the inconsistency of when people need to be in crash couches. In the books it's nigh constant, often in the show even belters will be walking around without a care in the world while under burn, except when dramatically required (the Razorback sequence or Eros chasing sequence for example). But it'd probably get exhausting to film and watch.