Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Ghostlight posted:

sequence breaking is fun and rewarding.

Is this DQ Builders?

Andrast posted:

I kind of want to change my name to psyduckfan6969

I know you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DQ Builders 2

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Xaris posted:

You're either a) buying a console because PCs are intimidating/too confusing/complex/expensive, and prefer couch-potato gaming but don't/can't setup Steam link, in which case a PC version is just extra revenue; or b) you have a PC that's your primary and you're buying a console for an exclusive(s) that you play once n done and it collects dust. The former group is the big bucks, the lattergroup not so much and probably revenue neutral +/- at best.

You're not wrong but these factors are a bit more connected and a lot of things have different roots, such as Sony as a core market competitor with Microsoft, but a decade or so longer in the game, had little friction with the PC market in the early years while MS entered full confrontational making 2 major PC core genre usable (well..) for controllers and so on. Sony only later came around, but still mostly had their own things going (which btw. got ported badly to the PC not that seldom)

Nowadays most platforms in the core segment are more or less the same, but with each new console manufacturers still have to sell it and retain the audience. And that's mainly done through exclusives, timed or lifetime. I don't see Sony breaking this rule too much with a few games here and there being later released to the PC.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m pretty sure Sony is letting some exclusives go to PC because the PS4 is at end of life, and the PS5 is going to be backwards compatible. You give a market a taste of what’s out on it, and then maybe they’ll get the PS5 to see what they missed and maybe grab the PS5 exclusives.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

0 rows returned posted:

i dont know about blood omen 2 but the original blood omen has a lot of legal issues preventing its pc release

iirc the psx version can be bought off psn since it escaped that for whatever reason
Technical too, probably. I had difficulty getting it to run even back when it was new. It's a shame, really. It's probably the first real Zelda-like I ever played and I didn't even realize that's what it was at the time.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

A decent number of people will wait out a 1 year exclusive if they're on the fence. No one is waiting out a 3-5 year exclusive. However, that getting that 3-5 year old exclusive on other platforms might bring in new fans, some of whom might jump on to your platform to not wait 3-5 years on the newer release in the series.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m pretty sure Sony is letting some exclusives go to PC because the PS4 is at end of life, and the PS5 is going to be backwards compatible. You give a market a taste of what’s out on it, and then maybe they’ll get the PS5 to see what they missed and maybe grab the PS5 exclusives.
How reliable is the backwards compatibility for the PS5 going to be? When the PS2 did it, it had trouble emulating half my games with its constant crashing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

How reliable is the backwards compatibility for the PS5 going to be? When the PS2 did it, it had trouble emulating half my games with its constant crashing.

The backwards compatibility isn't even officially confirmed in any capacity, so. It's just a semi-educated reasonable guess.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Yeah, I bet that's their plan. Getting PC users to get into their series and then have stuff like Horizon 2 and God of War: Ragnarok or whatever still be PS5 exclusive to push PC users to get a PS5.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Orv posted:

The backwards compatibility isn't even officially confirmed in any capacity, so. It's just a semi-educated reasonable guess.

Just download an emulator and play your super old (legal*) games in way better graphics than an “emulator” on the PS5 is likely to ever give you? Even from people who don’t have “gaming PCs” in this day and age you should at least be able to do better emulation of PS3 games than the original could do on its own with all the added features modern day emulators provide.

Just pop the disc in and you’re good. Burn an ISO beforehand if you want for even faster data access rates.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
There's still tons of games current emulators have problems with. It's not just a matter of hardware power.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DatonKallandor posted:

There's still tons of games current emulators have problems with. It's not just a matter of hardware power.

Especially for the PS3, which as I understand it, is really pretty different from most everything at a hardware level.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Especially for the PS3, which as I understand it, is really pretty different from most everything at a hardware level.

Nothing I’ve ever seen emulators ever circumvent eventually. I’m sure those games folks have let sit for two console generations so far are nearly at the top of the backlog now and can’t wait a bit longer? Right?

No reason to *not* get a PS5, mind you; I’m planning on it. But no reason to put so much weight behind either with other likely alternatives.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
We've finally mastered emulating emotions. The PS3 is still a ways off.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Legacy of Kain bundle on Fanatical

For less than four bucks you can play gothic zelda and listen to some of the best voice acting ever made for video games

fyi for everyone. These three games are quite literally some of the best games of the generation, and blow everything else out of the water in more ways then one. They really were modern Zelda/Metroidvania style games and are goddamn incredible. Easily some of my favorite games of all time, and are made in such a modern fashion you'll be amazed going back to them and seeing just how much they did right.

The PC versions however are loving busted. Both the GoG and Steam take 2+ hours per game to get set up on Win10. Because there are 12 different things that could be broken, and you have to trouble shoot every single potential fix. This is fine for Soul Reaver 1 because you can save right after the intro and fiddle with it. Soul Reaver 2 meanwhile has a 17 MINUTE INTRO and you have to watch the whole thing before you find out the game is busted. And you can't reach a save point until you get the right fixes in.

Defiance works right out of the box, whatever.

It says a lot that even saying that I think they are totally worth it. Maybe better to just go download an emulator and play the Ps2 versions but still. I'd easily consider this trilogy gaming masterpieces up there with classics like Morrowind, Deus Ex, BG2, AoE2, Zelda, etc.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

The Joe Man posted:

We've finally mastered emulating emotions. The PS3 is still a ways off.
You can play a few PS3 games, not sure how many, but seems that through sheer brute force, they have figured out the PS3. Most important though is you can play Demon's Souls at 4k 60fps now and it runs and looks great.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Rusty posted:

You can play a few PS3 games, not sure how many, but seems that through sheer brute force, they have figured out the PS3. Most important though is you can play Demon's Souls at 4k 60fps now and it runs and looks great.
Right but you need a beast. I actually just tried DeS and while it was technically playable, it was choppy as hell. They're definitely making headway but it's still a few years out before either the hardware standard or emulator optimization catches up.

A lot like how PS2 emulation went down (which I assume is finally up to snuff in regard to my Emotion Engine joke, I haven't tried it recently).

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Hell, hows N64 emulation outside the super big games these days? Still a wonky glitchy patch job?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

The Joe Man posted:

Right but you need a beast. I actually just tried DeS and while it was technically playable, it was choppy as hell. They're definitely making headway but it's still a few years out before either the hardware standard or emulator optimization catches up.

A lot like how PS2 emulation went down (which I assume is finally up to snuff in regard to my Emotion Engine joke, I haven't tried it recently).
I didn't really have issues with it being choppy and at the time I played I just had a 2600x and 1080ti. This isn't 60fps, it is before that, but here's an example of Tower Knight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvBpe2edBGU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The Joe Man posted:

Last time I tried to replay a bunch of different PS2 stuff it ranged from barely playable and wonky (Ace Combat) to completely unplayable (Dark Alliance and spinoffs). So yeah, they can't even properly emulate of the PS2 catalog and that's loving old. I'm honestly most interested in the PS5 because of the rumored PS2 and PS3 compatability, not the PS4 one.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The Vita still doesn't have an emulator either. Neither do the Xboxes. The PS2 is such a weird console that although you can emulate it, it's probably never gonna be near-perfect and the best emulator available is very wonky.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dias posted:

The Vita still doesn't have an emulator either. Neither do the Xboxes. The PS2 is such a weird console that although you can emulate it, it's probably never gonna be near-perfect and the best emulator available is very wonky.

While Vita2k's progress is...probably slower than that of Xenia even, cxbx-reloaded has been getting some pretty good progress lately.

Neither will be replacements for the actual console anytime soon but it's something.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Majin posted:

Just download an emulator and play your super old (legal*) games in way better graphics than an “emulator” on the PS5 is likely to ever give you? Even from people who don’t have “gaming PCs” in this day and age you should at least be able to do better emulation of PS3 games than the original could do on its own with all the added features modern day emulators provide.

Just pop the disc in and you’re good. Burn an ISO beforehand if you want for even faster data access rates.

People have already explained it but that's really not how it works, no. If PS5 had the rumored backwards compatibility, which is to say made by the people who definitively know how the consoles work and have the ability to build their emulation around that rather than the nightmare job that most emulators are, it'd be extremely nice. Of course, let us not forget the cautionary tale of the PS3's emulation so, who knows.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The PS4 and Xbone are basically PCs though, and the PS5 and new Xbox will be too. So this time, backwards compatibility is mostly «clock the system at the previous console speeds» which is what PS4 Pro and Xbone X already does

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

On the other hand, I already do have a gaming-capable PC and to a lot of people, going to the effort of making and maintaining one just altogether isn't worth the effort. In Japan, which is still one of the primary markets that console games are developed, PC gaming is barely even a thing last I heard.

I was in Osaka the other day and I was surprised to find that Yodobashi Camera had an entire floor exclusively dedicated to building PCs. They had absolutely every part you would need to get a desktop working, from cases to fans, aios, power supplies, SATA cables, mbs, cpus, video cards, the whole works. I also saw more gaming laptops and prebuilt pcs being advertised everywhere, so Japan could be getting interested in PC gaming, especially with the number of Japanese devs putting stuff on steam.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'd say that people expecting PS2/PS3 BC for the PS5 are hoping beyond hope, sony stopped giving a poo poo about PS2-on-PS4 a long time ago and Jim Ryan's thoughts on BC are "no one actually wants BC" and now he's head of playstation in america

you'll get PS4->PS5 backwards compatibility and that's it. and that's assuming sony doesn't change their mind and think "actually we can just create and sell new remasters at full price of games that are only 3-4 years old"

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

I’m playing read dead 2 on steam with a ps4 dual shock.

The game prompts are coded to what appears to be Xbox controls. (Ex/ letters instead of shapes).

The game prompts me to hit a button with 3 horizontal stripes.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what button that is.

Apologies if there is something obvious I’m missing, but help?!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

The game prompts are coded to what appears to be Xbox controls. (Ex/ letters instead of shapes).

Start button.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

press hamburger to start

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Croccers posted:

Hell, hows N64 emulation outside the super big games these days? Still a wonky glitchy patch job?

pretty much yeah and probably will forever be

tho it'd be rad to be able to run an N64 emulator on the switch

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Well doh, it wasn’t mapped correctly. Also remapped a problem where right stick click was wonky.

Thanks for the help friends.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Bloodborne pc when

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Just buy a PS5 and a gaming computer. Bing bong problem solved

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Ha ha ha, he doesn't know how to use the 3 horizontal stripes!

It is the future, we now have hamburger and kebab buttons.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 21, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I think the three stripes are meant to symbolise “options”. It’s generally a button to bring up a menu or a map.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Old backwards compatibility was funny. The PS2 had a miniaturized PSX on board and the NTSC launch PS3 used PS2 hardware for its BC. Sony ripped out the PS2 hardware for the PAL launch though, and all the "slim" refreshes didn't have it either - PS2 compatibility was purely based on software emulation afterwards, and very limited because of that. PS4 hardware was very different from PS3 again and didn't have any official backwards compatibility at all, but since it came out after everyone got used to buying their game a 3rd time as a "HD remaster", no one cared I guess :shrug:.

Meanwhile Microsoft and Nvidia got mad at each other during the Xbox (the first Xbox) era when the console was basically a custom PC already, and the new Xbox 360 used a very different PowerPC multi-core setup with Ati graphics, but they still tried to do some backwards compatibility in software for a while. And then the Xbox One (the third Xbox) launched as a custom PC again but without BC because who needs that when you have the best exclusives and Kinect and TV! But because it had the wrong RAM and the exclusives sucked and nobody bought the TV TV TV console, they added software-based BC after 1.5 years or so.

But I wouldn't expect any PSX to PS3 compatibility on PS5 (or Xbox/Xbox 360 on the new Xbox). It's a lot of effort for what are now niche games and most of the newer popular titles have been remastered for the current generation that's way easier to emulate.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Orv posted:

There are some patents floating around which people base their assumptions on. And backwards compatibility for the current generation games is kind of a no-brainer because of how similar the next hardware is going to be (not saying it will be without challenges, of course) - if it sells consoles because it increases the launch lineup by hundreds of older games, it will be hard to resist. They can always "remaster" the current titles in a year or three with high details instead of medium to low settings :v:

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

orcane posted:

And then the Xbox One (the third Xbox) launched as a custom PC again but without BC because who needs that when you have the best exclusives and Kinect and TV! But because it had the wrong RAM and the exclusives sucked and nobody bought the TV TV TV console, they added software-based BC after 1.5 years or so.

The Xbox One had backwards compatibility planned from the start, it just took them that long to get it working. We know this because the Xbox One CPU has custom instructions built specifically for the backwards compatibility, it's the only way it managed to do it.

Also the Series X will maintain and continue the Xbox/360 back compat the One had.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yes of course it was always planned, and they didn't call it backwards while planning to offer streaming as a replacement, they just forgot to tell people about it when they thought they didn't need it, and remembered to tell when the console didn't sell as expected :)

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Legacy of Kain bundle on Fanatical

For less than four bucks you can play gothic zelda and listen to some of the best voice acting ever made for video games

The three games in the bundle are listed on the bottom of the page under "You may also like," and it's cheaper to buy them individually than to buy the bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

orcane posted:

There are some patents floating around which people base their assumptions on. And backwards compatibility for the current generation games is kind of a no-brainer because of how similar the next hardware is going to be (not saying it will be without challenges, of course) - if it sells consoles because it increases the launch lineup by hundreds of older games, it will be hard to resist. They can always "remaster" the current titles in a year or three with high details instead of medium to low settings :v:
I wish I could be one of those people that see patents and jump to THEY'RE GONNA DO IT! instead of They're just locking down the idea/tech so they can sue anyone else that tries to do it. :smith: