Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I've got a bunch of pens and my favorites are the mid-size Pilots Parallel ($5 each) and the Pilot Kakuno ($5), even over the few Metros I've had.

The Kakuno, Metro, Prera and 78G all share the same nib and feed, which lets you pick the body style of your choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

This stupid TWSBI Go with a 1.1 is now my favorite pen to write letters with.

Hopefully, my dog won't eat this one.

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

Okay, cleaning the pen certainly helped, but it still wasn’t as buttery as I’d remembered from the dip. But changing to iroshizuku ink (Take-Sumi, black) really did the trick. It’s smooth and densely black, I’m very happy with it. And no doubt the pen is all the happier for being cleaned.

Thanks to all for the advice!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Good news! And as was mentioned before, the paper you're using has an impact on how well a pen writes. I've got pens that are real hesitant on Clairfontaine, but like butter on Tomoe River. It's another one of those weird quirks of fountain pens. :shrug:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Something interesting on ye olde repair bench this week, a lovely little Sheaffer desk pen

Plastic body, lever filler, meaning it probably dates from the 40's.

An interesting thing to note on these pens is the little staple-looking piece of metal in the grip, here

This is quite common on Sheaffer desk sets of this period, and lot of people think it's the sign of a poor repair job. However, this was factory standard for Sheaffer; the metal tab was added to keep the pen in it's desk holder more securely.

And here's the nib. It's a #3 sized 14k gold accounting nib, so not only is it rock hard, it's extremely fine. After tuning and testing, I'd put it on par with a Platinum UEF in terms of line width.

The pen is overall in excellent shape, but the original ebonite feed had shrunk, warping the nib. This is a pretty common issue with pens of this vintage and thankfully, it's actually easy to fix. As long as the tines haven't been bent, you can pull the nib and gently shape it over a wooden dowel to correct any issues.

The off-centre breathing hole isn't something I can fix, unfortunately.

grack fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 17, 2020

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’ve got kind of a specific question, maybe someone has tried. Does anyone know if bulletproof Nooders ink like Heart of Darkness will smear into alcohol markers like Copic if you lay color on top of them? I don’t want to try because I’m afraid if it does smear, it will end up in the marker and make it permanently have black in the brush nib - I would assume it would work given the Noodlers guy made those inks to prevent being able to remove a signature from a check. I’ve had a big old thing of that ink that is just lasting forever so it’d be nice to use it with a dip pen for line work.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think with any FP ink you run that risk. Very few Noodler's inks are fully immovable - some amount is going to wash off, but the "Bulletproof" part comes in when you try to wash off an ink and some portion of it is left bound to the paper. If you have a sacrificial brush pen it would be prudent to test it with some fully dried ink, especially on a particularly resistant paper so it leaves the most residue on top of the paper to see just how much comes off.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Got a Goulet Pens gift certificate for Christmas! I'm a relatively new fan of fountain pend. What's a good fun pen that's not a Pilot Metropolitan or a TWSBI Eco, since those are the two I have? Let's say $50ish, since the certificate is less than that.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Just don't get a Conklin.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

rio posted:

I’ve got kind of a specific question, maybe someone has tried. Does anyone know if bulletproof Nooders ink like Heart of Darkness will smear into alcohol markers like Copic if you lay color on top of them? I don’t want to try because I’m afraid if it does smear, it will end up in the marker and make it permanently have black in the brush nib - I would assume it would work given the Noodlers guy made those inks to prevent being able to remove a signature from a check. I’ve had a big old thing of that ink that is just lasting forever so it’d be nice to use it with a dip pen for line work.

Use Platinum Carbon Black.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Captain von Trapp posted:

Got a Goulet Pens gift certificate for Christmas! I'm a relatively new fan of fountain pend. What's a good fun pen that's not a Pilot Metropolitan or a TWSBI Eco, since those are the two I have? Let's say $50ish, since the certificate is less than that.

The Kaweco Sport and the Lamy Al-Star are both quality pens in the range you're looking at

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks, I'll get something like that and report back!

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

rio posted:

I've had pretty good luck with alcohol based markers, but make sure the ink has plenty of time to dry. In an absolute worst case scenario, nibs aren't that hard to replace.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Thanks, I'll get something like that and report back!

The sport is great, it's so tiny!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

rio posted:

This is a bit of an stupid idea, but have you tried writing something on a paper with the ink, letting it dry for a good time, then using a cotton swab with a bit of alcohol and "draw" over it? If it does stain, then you know it's not a good idea to try with the markers.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My new-Delta-picture-taking rocks are all covered in snow :negative:

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

That sounds like more of an opportunity than a problem.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I was wondering how people get so fond of a type of pen.

Then I remembered I have a 2mm pencil because I got so tired of snapping leads all the time.

Anyway, a few of the links in the OP are dead, for what it's worth.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Do the pilot metropolitan pens leak?

Can you carry them around in a jacket pocket all day worry free? Or do you need to take special care?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Do the pilot metropolitan pens leak?

Can you carry them around in a jacket pocket all day worry free? Or do you need to take special care?

Any pen runs a risk of leaking, but the only things you should do is keep it nib-up and don't like, jog or whatever. I toss around like five pens in my bag and none of them have leaked except for the super-wet Noodler's Ahab. And that was only after I shook it a lot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also question, re: any new pen: do they come empty or filled (particularly the Metro)?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

iospace posted:

Also question, re: any new pen: do they come empty or filled (particularly the Metro)?

Empty, although the Metropolitan comes with a cartridge that only takes a couple seconds to install.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

iospace posted:

As above, your Metro should have one black (or blue-black, I don't remember) cartridge and a squeeze converter. I recommend using up the cartridge and hanging on to it to refill it. You can also fill the squeeze converter, but the ink capacity isn't great and they're a pain to fill. Did you get any bottled ink?

You can also just buy a pack of cartridges if you want. It's more expensive than using bottled ink, but a bottle of good ink can be a lot to bite off at once. My first bottle was of Kon-Peki and I still haven't finished it off yet.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I haven't ordered yet, which is why I asked! Rather know what I'm getting before I pull the trigger.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question two: is the ink that comes in that cartridge lefty friendly?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I can't speak for lefty writing but I know Noodler's makes some quick drying inks for that purpose, but do your research (ie look up reviews or post here) before buying because Noodler's inks, especially the quick drying types, can be challenging.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heath posted:

I can't speak for lefty writing but I know Noodler's makes some quick drying inks for that purpose, but do your research (ie look up reviews or post here) before buying because Noodler's inks, especially the quick drying types, can be challenging.

Alright.

Does anyone have any more info? :v: I mean, I'm buying a metro as a gift for someone, and might as well grab one myself. I'm the lefty though. The recipient is right handed, and I'm getting them their favorite ink color in cartridges.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Here is a Goulet article about six different inks recommended for lefties. 54th Mass is generally pretty well regarded.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heath posted:

Here is a Goulet article about six different inks recommended for lefties. 54th Mass is generally pretty well regarded.

Thanks! I know what's gonna happen now.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I used to use 54th Mass in the Hero 565 I kept clipped to my pants pocket for quick jotting as I hoofed around the office building. It's good and dry, and a neutral, inoffensive color to boot.

I only stopped using it because my tastes in colors got, uhhh, darker.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I also recommend getting a blunt filling cannula and a 1 ml Luer-lock syringe. My personally preferred way to fill a pen is using an old cartridge and filling it using the syringe, especially for a Pilot pen - their cartridge converters (a reusable tube with a knob that can draw ink into the pen through the submerged nib) are mostly quite bad and have poor ink capacity and don't fill well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I recommend putting a second mortgage on your house and buying 33 Deltas *nods sagely*

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hahaha nah. Pens ordered, one as a gift, and one for myself.

Also hey Grack!

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

No need to buy "lefty-friendly" inks unless you are using highly expensive paper with slow drying times. I'm a lefty and use pretty much any ink with ordinary notebooks for journalling; the bigger problems aren't smearing or slow-drying imo, they're showthrough and feathering.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Heath posted:

I also recommend getting a blunt filling cannula and a 1 ml Luer-lock syringe. My personally preferred way to fill a pen is using an old cartridge and filling it using the syringe, especially for a Pilot pen - their cartridge converters (a reusable tube with a knob that can draw ink into the pen through the submerged nib) are mostly quite bad and have poor ink capacity and don't fill well.

What kind of Pilot cartridge do you use for refilling? I haven't had a cartridge last longer than a fill of the CON-50 converter I got with my Metro.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The regular one. Have you looked at prices on the CON-5O lately?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wish you could buy empty ones. Ah well.

E: now watch someone link how to get them :v:

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 21, 2020

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003

Heath posted:

The regular one. Have you looked at prices on the CON-5O lately?

I googled expecting them to be high, but I was not expecting $40 high.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I pulled the con-70 converter (I think their biggest) out of my Kakunos after getting on the syringe-fill bandwagon. It's cleaner and the capacity is good enough for my needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

meinstein posted:

I googled expecting them to be high, but I was not expecting $40 high.

Yeah. That's how bad the CON-40 is. It really is a shockingly terrible design, especially coming from Pilot. And now the CON-40 comes with every pen higher grade than the Metro by default so everyone has to suffer with it. I started filling my CON-40s with a syringe until I finally said "gently caress it" and used a cartridge.