Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
France’s national identity was deliberately and violently sculpted in the nineteenth century, and as alluded to there are still ugly undercurrents highlighted by “black football man”.

It’s an outlier even in Europe, land of nation‐states.

e: unrelated snipe tax

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 13:50 on Jan 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusGeorge
Apr 29, 2005
TheKeeper bought me this account so now I have to rub peanut butter on his nipples on a daily basis.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I will never understand why Americans care so much about their family history.

"My great great grandfather on my mother's side moved here from Germany so I'm German."

Meanwhile in Europe: "I was born in France so I'm French and who gives a gently caress where my parents were born."

White Americans (who don't latch on to hate groups, anyway) don't have an identity we respect. Some of us recognise that this isn't even our land. We only have several flavors of systemic racism for a legacy and set of traditions, and search for some sort of historical traditions to replace them. Then we find out our European roots are basically the same batch of genocide and opression, and start drinking heavily. I, for one, latch on to that little drop of Irish in me so I can at least think I'm from a bunch of starving farmers.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

JesusGeorge posted:

White Americans (who don't latch on to hate groups, anyway) don't have an identity we respect. Some of us recognise that this isn't even our land. We only have several flavors of systemic racism for a legacy and set of traditions, and search for some sort of historical traditions to replace them. Then we find out our European roots are basically the same batch of genocide and opression, and start drinking heavily. I, for one, latch on to that little drop of Irish in me so I can at least think I'm from a bunch of starving farmers.

I suspect that didn't help you with heavy drinking.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Country of immigrants has immigration as part of identity narrative. Europeans confused.

Are you under the impression that the countries and peoples of Europe are as they have always been since the beginning of time?

I don’t hear english people saying “well I’m a Saxon of course, really hope I can visit my roots in northern Germany one day”

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Soricidus posted:

Are you under the impression that the countries and peoples of Europe are as they have always been since the beginning of time?

I don’t hear english people saying “well I’m a Saxon of course, really hope I can visit my roots in northern Germany one day”
Speaking from an internet point of view but look around long enough and you'll eventually find an English fascist really excited about their 1/32 Viking and how it makes them better than the angles or saxons.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Name a single good thing an Angle or a Saxon ever did.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mauser posted:

Name a single good thing a Saxon ever did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZBXGVMOjJk

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

e: unrelated snipe tax

Hahahaha, that's the stuff!

I know it's solidly hosed up when my first reaction is to say, "Oh come on!!" at my monitor.
(Turn it on, yeah, I know.)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Soricidus posted:

The point is it's part of the national identity, and happened in the past three hundred years. I'm not asking you to go "gee, you're right, Americans are right and good." I'm just explaining the cultural difference. :shrug:

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The point is it's part of the national identity, and happened in the past three hundred years. I'm not asking you to go "gee, you're right, Americans are right and good." I'm just explaining the cultural difference. :shrug:

I was born in country A as well as my mum, but my dad was born in country B. My maternal grandfather was born in country B but his parents were from country C. My paternal grandfather was also born in country A but met my paternal grandmother (who was from country D) in country B. My maternal grandmother was also born in country A but met my grandfather in country B as well. Her parents were from country E, although a lot of them live in country F now and a few in country G.

But when it’s census time I put that I’m from country A, partly because I was born here but mostly because I identify with it most strongly and choose to live here as an adult. But nobody is going to raise an eyebrow if I tell people I’m “from country B”. C is pushing it though, D is unrealistic and E is just completely batshit.

Most people here have a family history similar to mine, and I’d be incredibly surprised if even a plurality of Americans who identify as, for example, German, have 50% of their descendants over the last three generations either from there or with parents from there. We simply don’t understand how you even come to the conclusion that you “identify as x”. Can you literally identify as whatever you want and not be called out on it?

To be clear though: we don’t care if you want to identify as German (we just think it’s silly), we just don’t get the aversion to identifying as American. Not least because it opens us up to the “well if I was American I’d deny it as well!” gag, but that’s low hanging fruit. At least give us a challenge!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Soricidus posted:

That's because an American claiming Irish ancestry might be talking about grandpa moving to the US in 1920. An Englishman saying he's Saxon would have to be referring to an ancestor from... the fifth century?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mauser posted:

Name a single good thing an Angle or a Saxon ever did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-49noOAFsG8

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

not really a chart or graph but fits the spirit of the thread

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I don't know, angles allowed us to figure out solar dyanmics

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Away all Goats posted:

Not the most intuitive 9/11 conspiracy.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Loss.jpg getting weirder every day

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

duckmaster posted:

To be clear though: we don’t care if you want to identify as German (we just think it’s silly), we just don’t get the aversion to identifying as American. Not least because it opens us up to the “well if I was American I’d deny it as well!” gag, but that’s low hanging fruit. At least give us a challenge!

This conversation started when someone thought identifying as American was crypto-white supremacy. That's why folks are leery about doing it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Patrick Spens posted:

This conversation started when someone thought identifying as American was crypto-white supremacy. That's why folks are leery about doing it.

Can't imagine how anyone could look at the map and think "American" is somehow tied to "crypto-white supremacy":

...if it ain't "tied", it's sure as hell "correlated."

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I wonder what would happen if you listed "Southern" or "heritage not hate" as an option for ancestry.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.

ulmont posted:

Can't imagine how anyone could look at the map and think "American" is somehow tied to "crypto-white supremacy":

Because of how the key looks on my device I spent a good 15 seconds trying to figure out why there are so many Irish in the south.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I mean there are a lot of Irish in the south. A lot of emigration pressure and the colonies were the natural option. They were also the original English plantation labour source before slavery got going there.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Another part of why it's a no-no to identify as American is because white people killed the vast majority of people with any actual claim to that title over the course of the last 600 years, but there are enough still around to point it out that it's not at all wise to say it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Plastik posted:

Another part of why it's a no-no to identify as American is because white people killed the vast majority of people with any actual claim to that title over the course of the last 600 years, but there are enough still around to point it out that it's not at all wise to say it.

If you're a white person with forbears who were here before the Revolution and you genuinely, non-maliciously don't know where all your people of the last few hundred years came from, what's an acceptable thing to call your nationality if not "American"? Do you want people just to guess based on their last name?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you're a white person with forbears who were here before the Revolution and you genuinely, non-maliciously don't know where all your people of the last few hundred years came from, what's an acceptable thing to call your nationality if not "American"? Do you want people just to guess based on their last name?

People like that can say Colonial American and natives will keep saying Native American and we'll all collectively recognize that American without a modifier is a kind of ruined term in terms of ancestral nationality.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

ulmont posted:

Is it just me or is this map subtly different that the one I originally commented on?

I mean, I do admit I fit the above as afaik the closest ancestor to me that wasn't born on this side of the ocean was before the civil war; I am a white mutt.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

If you're from a colonial white family there's a good chance a woman somewhere in the line had some kids with someone else during one of America's great wars, or just via general filandery anyways.

My last name is Welsh, from a family that settled with original colonists and people who blazed the Oregon trail, but DNA reveals we're Norwegian/Irish, which ties in pretty well with my dad being born 11 months after my "grandad" left to fight in WWII, so who the gently caress knows.

The other half of my family settled in NY state just prior to the war and are very obviously Polish.

It's all pretty pointless, kinda fun to travel to Poland and visit the area my great-grandparents grew up in though.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
What's the stat that gets thrown around again? Large scale genetics study show that roughly 1 child in 10 is from a different father, rising to something like 1 in 4 for the third kid of a couple.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

What's the stat that gets thrown around again? Large scale genetics study show that roughly 1 child in 10 is from a different father, rising to something like 1 in 4 for the third kid of a couple.

Figures like that are not representative of the general population.

The key is that the false paternity numbers are high in cases where paternity was tested. People tend to have suspicions before getting testing, so of course the sample is biased.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

With Canada:

French Canadians feeling that their heritage is “French Canadian” and not “French” is a little surprising. I’m not sure if it’s as icky as Americans going for “American”; I suspect it’s motivated by the same racism / xenophobia as the latter, but... Could it be justified, given Quebec’s circumstances in particular?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm going to be honest, this is the first time I hear that identifying as just American is racist somehow. Interesting stuff.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Yeah, the only reason I can imagine is if it has been appropriated by some group of nazis?

It is a very normal way of dealing with mixed identity (identity superordination, where instead of identifying as a smaller unit, e.g., Texan or New Yorker, one goes for the larger group including both identities). I do it myself, identifying as European, as I moved countries about a decade ago. An alternative is hyphenation, where one keeps both identities alive simultaneously.

Most of the expats I know fall under either category; typically European ones adopt the first while non-Europeans often adopt the latter (likely because there is no meaningful superordination that isn't everybody). It makes sense for somebody moving states in the US would identify as American.

Other ways of dealing with multiple identities are compartmentalisation (e.g., one identity at home and another at work) or cultural domination, both of which I'd consider much more racist. One can consider the original American settlers as cultural dominators.

African-American does not fit into this at it is not an amalgamation of African and (superordinated) American culture, but Irish-American is to some extent.

French-Canadian also doesn't to me seem like it fits (nor as racist in any way). It is just Canadians speaking French.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Fathis Munk posted:

I remember there being some studies about genetic diversity, that suggest that those different fathers are generally of the same ingroup (that is race and even socioeconomc status) as the official father.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Paladinus posted:

I'm going to be honest, this is the first time I hear that identifying as just American is racist somehow. Interesting stuff.

To be a bit clearer, there's a difference between thinking of yourself as an American and saying "I'm an American" when asked about your family's heritage for a survey.

One of them is what most of the country (including myself) does on a day to day basis. The other speaks to a willful refusal to engage with the question of origin that, in my experience, is a hallmark of chuds nationwide.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

The United States government used answers of “Japanese” ancestry in the census records to target its internment squads.

I would not begrudge a person for answering a question about their ancestry in a coy way.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Capfalcon posted:

To be a bit clearer, there's a difference between thinking of yourself as an American and saying "I'm an American" when asked about your family's heritage for a survey.

One of them is what most of the country (including myself) does on a day to day basis. The other speaks to a willful refusal to engage with the question of origin that, in my experience, is a hallmark of chuds nationwide.

Plastik upthread suggested that Colonial American was a proper term, but I imagine not many people are aware of its existence. In an informal conversation, if someone said on the topic of ancestry that they were an American, I would just assume their heritage was mixed to the point where they didn't firmly identify with any specific ethnicity of their ancestors, be it colonial or native. So basically, I'm just trying to understand, how plugged in one has to be to understand problematic implications of identifying simply as American, especially outside of Southern states.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

VictualSquid posted:

I remember there being some studies about genetic diversity, that suggest that those different fathers are generally of the same ingroup (that is race and even socioeconomc status) as the official father.

Isn't that explained by women going after the men they know? That is, American society is very stratified by race and people tend to associate with others of the same socioeconomic status, so this is just what you'd expect.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think a lot of it has to do with Americans thinking the US is the only place anyone ever immigrates to, while everywhere else is some uniform ethnic/national group, so if you're in America, you must either be of one of these groupings, or a clear combination thereof, or you just haven't dug far enough back.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

Willful refusal to engage the question is also a reasonable response to racists who can't accept that mixed European ancestry exists. I'm a mix of half a dozen European ancestries and colonial American only accounts for a quarter of it. I've run into lots of people who refuse to accept mixed European ancestry as an answer and must hear a specific European country and seen surveys that don't list mixed as an option. At some point you willfully refusing to engage with the question becomes second nature because people consistently refuse to accept a reasonable response.

Leviathan Song has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Jan 21, 2020

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Paladinus posted:

Plastik upthread suggested that Colonial American was a proper term, but I imagine not many people are aware of its existence. In an informal conversation, if someone said on the topic of ancestry that they were an American, I would just assume their heritage was mixed to the point where they didn't firmly identify with any specific ethnicity of their ancestors, be it colonial or native. So basically, I'm just trying to understand, how plugged in one has to be to understand problematic implications of identifying simply as American, especially outside of Southern states.

It may also have a lot to do with where you are, geographically. In Europe identifying as American wouldn't be a red flag. In the Northeast US or the Midwest it's probably fine, the signal/noise ratio is probably pretty much even.

Where I am, Central Florida, there's a strong likelihood that a person identifying as American is a backwoods chud, because the mix of backwoods chuds and liberals is pretty mixed and a lot of dogwhistles get used to identify oneself as a total piece of poo poo to "the right people".

In the South where it's safe to be hilariously racist it's basically a complete guarantee that the person saying it subscribes to the idea that Native Americans were subhumans keeping the land warm until the righteous European neo-Crusaders brought light and civilization and society to the shores of North America under the direct orders of the One True God. But again, nobody's going to say anything because The South is as inclusive of different varieties of racism as LGBTQ+ groups are of the things chuds hate the ever-living gently caress out of.

E: So we're clear, I'm 1/8th native American and have been told that it's all the worst parts of me by members of my (0% native) father's family. It's such a common problem that I don't say it in mixed company anymore.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Jan 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Paladinus posted:

So, "American" as an ethnic identity isn't racist. But it's created and made possible by racism. Because anyone who identifies as "American" is going to be white. Compare this to "African-American" or "American Indian" which both treat non-whiteness as a modifier to American. It's a legacy of a time when American was considered to be a land for white people and no one else.

But like I said earlier, white-American isn't on the list.