Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

The chatter a year or so back was that Bad Boys was being viewed as a way to launch a multicultural Bad Girls spinoff. Haven't seen the film so how much of that got to the final draft?
If you want to launch a female action franchise maybe stop trying to grab the coattails of dead franchises nobody cares about anymore, and just do your own thing.
See: Charlie's Angels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alan Smithee posted:

It’s got Michael sheen mugging it up as the villain doing just about everything but twirl his mustache

I just realized I’ve been reading this as Martin Sheen in every mention of the movie for the last month.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

got any sevens posted:

The new doolittle has an ant quoting The Godfather
Its real bad, like zootopia

I heard Zootopia was good, but I also fell asleep the time I tried to watch it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ruddiger posted:

I’m glad Martin Lawrence is getting a late career renaissance with this and the Beach Bum.

Why? By all accounts he's a pretty terrible human being.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FilthyImp posted:

The chatter a year or so back was that Bad Boys was being viewed as a way to launch a multicultural Bad Girls spinoff. Haven't seen the film so how much of that got to the final draft?

The spin off airs as a series on Spectrum

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7555294/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Casimir Radon posted:

If you want to launch a female action franchise maybe stop trying to grab the coattails of dead franchises nobody cares about anymore, and just do your own thing.

The problem with that are the notable and recent original, lady action films that failed-to-launch. E.g. Atomic Blonde and Proud Mary.

Not saying that I wouldn't love to see more movies about distinctly kickass women, driven by a distinctly female vision. But good luck getting Hollywood to look past both of those examples.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Why? By all accounts he's a pretty terrible human being.

I know he’s bipolar and had really bad drug problems (like, having a manic breakdown and running through the streets naked with a gun bad), and he and Tisha Campbell had a falling out and went to court over sexual harassment issues on set, but according to Tisha herself, they resolved their personal issues and from the sounds of it, he’s getting the help he needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BTPFaWxNY8

I’m not going to say he’s 100% back on track because I don’t know the dude personally, but if he’s doing right by his people and making the amends that he needs to, then hell yeah I want to see Martin get his recognition. That show was a huge part of my adolescence, I just wish Tommy was still around so he can catch some of the shine.

BIP Thomas Mikal Ford

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SomeJazzyRat posted:

The problem with that are the notable and recent original, lady action films that failed-to-launch. E.g. Atomic Blonde and Proud Mary.

Not saying that I wouldn't love to see more movies about distinctly kickass women, driven by a distinctly female vision. But good luck getting Hollywood to look past both of those examples.

It really sucks because Atomic Blonde and Proud Mary were great and they just fell straight off the map. Widows should have been an oscar nominated movie, but because it’s about Liam Neeson and Jon Berenthal’s widows and not another paint-by-numbers heist movie, the old farts in the academy didn’t give a poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Atomic Blonde was at least a financial success, if not a huge one, it made over 100 million on a 30 mil budget. Enough that there's a sequel in development, which Theron and Leitch have both confirmed.

I think it's true that you've got to bring something interesting to the table, people saw the Atomic Blonde trailer and recognized the style and excellent fight choreography Leitch was putting into it. No established franchise necessary when you can do that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I liked Atomic Blonde but for whatever reason it's not something I really feel the need to see ever again. Haywire did pretty well, right?

Edit: Ok, it did alright. It also came out longer ago than I thought.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

I liked Atomic Blonde but for whatever reason it's not something I really feel the need to see ever again. Haywire did pretty well, right?

Edit: Ok, it did alright. It also came out longer ago than I thought.

I actually would recommend watching Atomic Blonde a second time, because it's fun to rewatch with the full context, knowing that from the beginning Lorraine is just going around Berlin doing whatever she needs to do to cover her tracks. The movie really doesn't let you in on what her actual mission is until literally the last scene.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Atomic Blonde is good but not really an action movie, it only has two action sequences that got a lot of attention because it was the first movie from a John Wick director that wasn’t John Wick (even though David Leitch is more of a work-for-hire director that was only on the first JW to guide Chad Stahelski.) And they’re phenomenal scenes, but don’t really define the movie, which is just a pretty solid Cold War thriller.

This is the first I’ve heard someone praise Proud Mary, I’ve only heard bad things before. Not saying you’re wrong, but I am curious what you liked about it.

Haywire is indeed dope.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah it was definitely sold as a John Wick movie but I think if it had been sold more as a spy thriller, which is closer to what it was, it would have done better.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Davros1 posted:

The spin off airs as a series on Spectrum

lol, so what you're saying is that less people have seen that than the new season of Mad About You.

That's right, there was a brand new season of Mad About You that came out a couple of months ago, exclusively streaming on Spectrum!

Let's see what Kristen Baldwin of Entertainment Weekly has to say about it:

quote:

Now, Mad About You is back, 20 years older and as genial and inoffensive as ever. But is it necessary, reader? The answer is certainly “yes” for Spectrum, the telecommunications conglomerate and newest entrant into the Content Wars, which is producing 12 new episodes of the former Must-See TV hit for its On-Demand platform. For the rest of us, the Mad About You revival can best be described as the television equivalent of a shrug emoji.

So, should you watch? If you were a fan of the original show — and you have Spectrum cable, which is the only place to find the revival — then… I guess? Seeing Hunt and Reiser, along with Kind and other original cast members including John Pankow (Paul’s cousin Ira), Anne Ramsay (Jamie’s sister Lisa), and Jerry Adler (the Buchmans’ super Mr. Wicker) is mildly heartwarming. If you’ve finished all your other binges, if there’s nothing good on TV, if you’ve got a pile of laundry to fold, then sure. Why not? C+

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Atomic Blonde is good but not really an action movie, it only has two action sequences that got a lot of attention because it was the first movie from a John Wick director that wasn’t John Wick (even though David Leitch is more of a work-for-hire director that was only on the first JW to guide Chad Stahelski.) And they’re phenomenal scenes, but don’t really define the movie, which is just a pretty solid Cold War thriller.

This is the first I’ve heard someone praise Proud Mary, I’ve only heard bad things before. Not saying you’re wrong, but I am curious what you liked about it.

Haywire is indeed dope.

Proud Mary is just...fine. There's a good story in there and a lot of good character work from a good cast, but I remember alot of it just sliding out of my brain after I finished watching it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FilthyImp posted:

It does have a millennial crew called AMMO that’s like a mod squad thing with computers. They were totally pushing for a spin-off with that

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Atomic Blonde turned out terminally boring to me for reasons that I have completely forgotten, and now only the scenes that I really liked remain in my cheese brain. One day I'll rewatch it and be just as bored as the first time.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I had the same reaction. I think I ended up falling asleep watching it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I haven't seen it since it was in theaters, so my memory could be a little foggy. There's something about the who spy plot that was just too plodding. Spy plots are fun largely because you try to figure out all the angles, and this felt more like you're just along for the ride most of the time. There's some really well made action scenes throughout, but he spy plot didn't do much for me. Maybe as was suggested earlier I should rewatch it now that I know how it ends.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's happening again I'm listening to the Der Kommisar cover and thinking of how banging that scene was in the movie but the movie was bad :confused:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Casimir Radon posted:

River City Girls was pretty fun though.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
My only real problem with Atomic Blonde was how lovely Marilyn Manson’s cover of “Stigmata” was. And not enough John Goodman for my tastes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I liked Atomic Blonde, but speaking of spy thrillers, The Rhythm Section is almost assuredly a piece of crap, right? Is it going to join the ranks of quickly forgotten spy thrillers like Red Sparrow, Proud Mary, and whatever Luc Besson's was called?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

GrandpaPants posted:

I liked Atomic Blonde, but speaking of spy thrillers, The Rhythm Section is almost assuredly a piece of crap, right? Is it going to join the ranks of quickly forgotten spy thrillers like Red Sparrow, Proud Mary, and whatever Luc Besson's was called?

The Besson movie was called Anna, featuring the alien princess lady from Valerian, who is also a Russian supermodel.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i watched Anna on the plane and yeah, it's a very unessential film

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the one extended action scene is really good. Pity about the rest of the film.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I just realized I’ve been reading this as Martin Sheen in every mention of the movie for the last month.

you'll have to see Spawn for that

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Snowman_McK posted:

the one extended action scene is really good. Pity about the rest of the film.

oh yeah, it's pretty all right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38jatQA_eqE

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Alan Smithee posted:

you'll have to see Spawn for that

God he's so fun in that

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I saw it in theaters and my bud and I were laughing at 2 things this entire movie:

1. The complete ridiculous and unnecessary timeline jumps. It'll be like 1985 - November , 2 scenes, 3 Months Earlier, 1 scene, 6 months later, 4 scenes, 1983 - March, 1 scene, 1985 - October, 2 scenes, 1 month later. Every time they moved a completely ridiculous and arbitrary amount forward or backwards I laughed like a maniac.

2. At the end of the movie there is a scene where there are a bunch of undercover cops in a park and 1 guy is just getting a huge stretch on with his leg on a bridge with a ridiculous moustache, it owned.

Overall it wasn't good.

Rhythm Section's trailer is great and it has Jude Law so I'll be seeing it for sure.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Darthemed posted:

My only real problem with Atomic Blonde was how lovely Marilyn Manson’s cover of “Stigmata” was. And not enough John Goodman for my tastes.

Goodman is like garlic, you can never have too much.

I really liked atomic blonde. Cool spy thriller, nice action scenes, liked the use of colors, nice acting. All in all well worth my time

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Plus because Toby Jones is in it, you can easily pretend it's in a cinematic universe with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I got a bit ill when I saw the first trailer for Anna. The idea of that creepy rear end in a top hat making a movie about supermodel assassins just didn't sit well with me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

I got a bit ill when I saw the first trailer for Anna. The idea of that creepy rear end in a top hat making a movie about supermodel assassins just didn't sit well with me.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I just hope no creepy poo poo happened on the set of 5th Element.
Now Leon, that's a movie I can't watch anymore.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

SomeJazzyRat posted:

You forgot Peppermint, the Jennifer Garner John Wick clone.

ruddiger posted:

It really sucks because Atomic Blonde and Proud Mary were great and they just fell straight off the map. Widows should have been an oscar nominated movie, but because it’s about Liam Neeson and Jon Berenthal’s widows and not another paint-by-numbers heist movie, the old farts in the academy didn’t give a poo poo.

Proud Mary was undercut by the studio, there were reports of at least one sold-out Thursday night opening weekend show getting cancelled at the last minute.

Grendels Dad posted:

At a certain point we should stop letting a noted rapist and pedophile direct movies.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

married but discreet posted:

I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I just hope no creepy poo poo happened on the set of 5th Element.
Now Leon, that's a movie I can't watch anymore.

The blue alien singer lady was fifteen years old when Luc Besson hosed her. She was pregnant with his kid at fifteen or sixteen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The blue alien singer lady was fifteen years old when Luc Besson hosed her. She was pregnant with his kid at fifteen or sixteen.

Apparently they met when she was 12.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

Apparently they met when she was 12.

I don’t know if he’s ever said as much, but isn’t there heavy speculation that she was the inspiration for Léon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Doggles posted:

lol, so what you're saying is that less people have seen that than the new season of Mad About You.

That's right, there was a brand new season of Mad About You that came out a couple of months ago, exclusively streaming on Spectrum!

I saw an ad for this pass by on the Roku screensaver and it surprised the poo poo out of me. Mad About You was incredibly popular when it was on and won a bunch of Emmys, yet this came out back in November and it was literally the first time I had heard about it.