Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WatermelonGun posted:

i am READY for the emma movie. it is my favorite jane austen novel and the clothes look fabulous and emma is the worst character ever.

The trailers look fantastic and Anya Taylor-Joy has been a delight so far. Also it's out the week after my birthday, so yeah, I'm excited for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i’m both

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My new laptop is RAD AS gently caress and I'm so happy rn. The only thing I am moderately worried about in my life is that the one moderately big money (by standards of advocacy work payment, mind, not by any other metric) contract that I have is, if my math is right, down to two paydays left and I feel like a piece of poo poo for saying this but I want to get paid for my work and it doesn't happen nearly often enough and in a lot of ways this contract (it's two years total) has been really really good for me and has sort of indirectly subsidized a lot of other volunteer work that I do and I'm kinda scared that I won't make money anywhere near the level I have been when it's over and it makes me really scared because I signed a (non-exclusive) contract with a particular consulting group probably three years ago with the thought being they'd find work and bring me along but one of the partners just left and the other just had her second kid and I'm kinda like gently caress am I about to lose this work connection or what

I'm actually really scared professionally now that I type it all out like that. Everything else is pretty great though!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You're not a piece of poo poo for wanting to get paid for your work, even if it's advocacy or activism. I'm sure you'd do it for free all the time if that was a legitimate option, but unfortunately in this capitalist hellscape, you gotta get paid to live, and you shouldn't beat yourself up for that! Volunteering at all puts you way ahead of a ton of people. You're a great person!

Separate topic: I saw 1917 yesterday in a real IMAX and that's an amazing, fantastic, horrifying movie that needs to be seen in a theater if possible, and I'll likely never, ever watch it again.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

You're not a piece of poo poo for wanting to get paid for your work, even if it's advocacy or activism. I'm sure you'd do it for free all the time if that was a legitimate option, but unfortunately in this capitalist hellscape, you gotta get paid to live, and you shouldn't beat yourself up for that! Volunteering at all puts you way ahead of a ton of people. You're a great person!
wisdom

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

good luck and good bye, no irish. I hope you do come back someday.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
just heard the news about Captain Ginyu. this is hitting me worse than George Harrison. i might not be able to do the royal rumble roulette without some serious cheering up.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

barbara stanwyck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Drew McIntyre posted:

just heard the news about Captain Ginyu. this is hitting me worse than George Harrison. i might not be able to do the royal rumble roulette without some serious cheering up.

Yeah that hit me pretty hard too, especially when I found out he also was the narrator for Dragon Ball too

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo the DBZ narrator was 84!?! :stare:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
joe shishido died today and he was in yakuza movies i liked v much. he also got plastic surgery to make his cheeks poofy for some reason

Branded to Kill is probably his best known one and is also a deranged movie for moral lepers. it is great. he was also in a few of the Battles Without Honor and Humanity movies as well as the excellently titled A Colt is my Passport and Cruel Gun Story, pictured here.

rip to a real one watch his movies to be cool like me

WatermelonGun fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 22, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo the DBZ narrator was 84!?! :stare:

Not DBZ's narrator, the one for Dragon Ball

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

rip squirrel man. branded to kill + tokyo drifter double feature in my future. classes started up again so i have way less free time but i'll still watch movies because i love them more than d day

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i have one more week on my break which i am using to read the new lazlo krasznahorkai because going into one’s last semester with a mood other than melancholy is arrogant and frankly disgusting

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

me, the smartest movie gently caress alive, thought jo shishido was in tokyo drifter cause of the seijun hookup all his life. i've been mandela'd. gently caress all this.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Lucas Black was in Tokyo Drifter

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter are two of my favorites and this SUCKS

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Terry Jones. :(

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51209197

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
wrong terry died

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

WatermelonGun posted:

wrong terry died
they’re dying from best to worst, idle’s next and then palin. the two shitheads will live forever

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah it sucks terry bollea still draws breath

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I'd never really listened to either Radiohead or Björk before the last 24 hours. Now I love both of them! Nobody ever told me they're both extremely good.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NienNunb posted:

I'd never really listened to either Radiohead or Björk before the last 24 hours. Now I love both of them! Nobody ever told me they're both extremely good.

Is it not just generally assumed everyone knows Björk rules?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

hyperballad is a nice song

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there's a little cit tee inside the tee vee

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

yea ok posted:

hyperballad is a nice song

It really is! This is the album I started with and I love it

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

Is it not just generally assumed everyone knows Björk rules?
Iceland: Chief import? Everything. Chief export? Bjork.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Matt Besser doing an impression of Bjork in Comedy Bang Bang like five years ago made me laugh harder than almost anything else that year. That’s what I know about Bjork.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bjork rules :hai:

Terry Jones was apparently one of the loveliest men who ever lived, in addition to being incredibly smart and funny. That the last couple years of his life were plagued by dementia is just too cruel.

There is a wonderful story about when they made the Meaning of Life, which he directed. He put together the "Every Sperm is Sacred" opening piece of the film, and it is incredible. Once it was done he admitted to the rest of the cast that... uhh.... he'd gotten a little carried away and spent the entire film's budget on that one segment :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 23, 2020

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Bjork rules :hai:

Terry Jones was apparently one of the loveliest men who ever lived, in addition to being incredibly smart and funny. That the last couple years of his life were plagued by dementia is just too cruel.

There is a wonderful story about when they made the Meaning of Life, which he directed. He put together the "Every Sperm is Sacred" opening piece of the film, and it is incredible. Once it was done he admitted to the rest of the cast that... uhh.... he'd gotten a little carried away and spent the entire film's budget on that one segment :allears:

It's the best segment in the objective best Python movie, he made the right decision

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's the only segment I liked in that flick.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
All the cool kids like the Mr Creosote segment

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I’ve never seen anyone else other than me say Meaning of Life is their best movie, it’s good to know I’m not alone.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

1. Meaning of Life
2. Holy Grail
3. And Now For Something Completely Different
4. Life Of Brian

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dangerous Person posted:

All the cool kids like the Mr Creosote segment

I laughed so hard during that segment that my dad sent me to bed for being silly :3:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i got tricked by criterion collection into watching a movie for bette davis but she was only in it for like 4 minutes. whatever. now im watching thx 1138 with just magnificent digital effects added in decades later. Pukeas. edit: Puke rear end.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

yea ok posted:

i got tricked by criterion collection into watching a movie for bette davis but she was only in it for like 4 minutes. whatever. now im watching thx 1138 with just magnificent digital effects added in decades later. Pukeas. edit: Puke rear end.

That 70s Sci Fi Collection is so loving cool. If I had the attention span to sit down and pay attention to an old movie I would have marathoned the whole thing already.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

old movies rule

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I miss having TCM. I'll never forgive Comcast for taking the best tv channel away from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Love old movies. Hate my attention span that only wants to look at tweets and cooking videos.