Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Archyduchess posted:

[Dykes to Watch Out For

Archyduchess posted:

I too am a proud ingestis poetica.

As a proud procrastinatoria inertia, I have some things to say about these Lesbians and their cultural appropriation of my... uh... culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Powered Descent posted:

As a proud procrastinatoria inertia, I have some things to say about these Lesbians and their cultural appropriation of my... uh... culture.

We stand on the shoulders of giants.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Bingo Bango posted:

The punch line of that strip was so me 10 years ago, it hurts.

Jucika is my new favorite. Finally, a sassy gal who's wearing long underwear!

Yeah, she's pretty lit. Glad to be sharing her with the thread!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Corto Maltese: Yes, Corto, the Red Lantern is of a feminine persuasion, did you not listen to Hü?, or Abandon ship!, or Abandon sea!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 08, 1937)

I'm really enjoying this. Young Val is so much more rash than modern Val, you can see he's still just a kid.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i really hate fort knox for some reason and i can't decide if it's due to it being the same setup literally every single time, the faces that accompany said setup, or the lovely words that change in each panel. it's a masterpiece of banal shittiness

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Correct, that is a good reason to hate it.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Between this and the whole adopting and then abandoning Mars thing, this idiot is really aiming for that Worst Parent of the Year award.

lmao as if luann would ever touch anyone who doesn't meet her impossible standards.

gently caress off with that passive-aggressive bullshit.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i really hate fort knox for some reason and i can't decide if it's due to it being the same setup literally every single time, the faces that accompany said setup, or the lovely words that change in each panel. it's a masterpiece of banal shittiness
The setup and punchline are the same in almost every comic: person A talks to person B in panels 1-3, in panel 4 something surprising happens and at least one person gets 2 lines next to their eyes. This punchline is terrible. There are also 4+ mini-jokes in the background. Those punchlines are also terrible. There are at least 5 bad jokes per comic, 400% more bad jokes per comic than one would expect.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, in which Pop treats Karen as a hostile witness.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 26, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 26, 1998)

Garfield Classic (June 26, 1988)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vargo posted:

Big Nate
The plot of Cats is very straight-forward and easy to explain. The cats are competing in a talent contest, but the evil cat is cheating by kidnapping the other contestants. There's a lot about it that's weird and hard to explain, but the plot is easy.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Zip

Rip

Dick

Duck

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Nobody describes behavior as "wicked" except boomer fundies, so this tracks.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens Yeah, plug that baby in the hole.

This is a comic strip where people can just add a couple of drops of ant DNA to a human and transform them into a loving ant man, and 3D print anything they can think of.

What the hell is the drama or tension here supposed to be?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the brigands

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Discendo Vox posted:

Dare ya to send it to him

James hasn't been on Twitter since November, which is probably best for everyone involved. Also he won't know what a "Vargo" or a "Goon" is.

Tiggum posted:

The plot of Cats is very straight-forward and easy to explain. The cats are competing in a talent contest, but the evil cat is cheating by kidnapping the other contestants. There's a lot about it that's weird and hard to explain, but the plot is easy.

I mean, this leaves out that the talent contest is meant to determine which cat gets to die and ascend to heaven, but yeah.

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I didn't know he had two moms, that's suspiciously cool for a newspaper comic. :v:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why Max having two moms makes me happy.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (May 29, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 20-21, 1986)

Robbie and Bobby (Feb 2-3, 2015)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Poil posted:

I didn't know he had two moms, that's suspiciously cool for a newspaper comic. :v:

Dana Simpson seems like a cool person legitimately doing her best to make a comic with as diverse a cast as she can. It doesn't get talked about as much as some other strips but I really really like Phoebe and Her Unicorn.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Phoebe manages to portray childhood shenanigans and innocence without it turning into a saccharine nightmare a la Rose is Rose.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Phoebe manages to portray childhood shenanigans and innocence without it turning into a saccharine nightmare a la Rose is Rose.

dana won't respond to my daily letters demanding that phoebe speak in unintelligible baby talk :mad:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I saw some of the book collections in the Kids books section of Target over the weekend and it made me happy. Dana seems like good people and I hope kids like the strip too.

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 21, 2020

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garf

'Cliff

Overboard

Monty

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Don't doxx me Fleshy. :saddowns:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phoebe is one of my favorite strips, but I rarely have more to say about it than that.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

riderchop posted:

Garf

Overboard

Kitty can have little "Sugar Frosted Lard Balls" as a treat.

Also, I don't "get" this overboard.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

he can see their breath in the cold air, foiling their murderous campaign

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Good Listener posted:

I saw some of the book collections in the Kids books section of Target over the weekend and it made me happy. Dana seems like good people and I hope kids like the strip too.

My daughter liked them when she was younger, but she's a teenager now so she thinks she's "outgrown" that sort of thing. I'm sure she'll learn better when she's older.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tiggum posted:

To the best of my understanding, the prize in the talent contest is getting to die.

EDIT: also one of the cats is a war profiteer, used confetti in Mobile, Alabama, mispronounced the name of Arkansas in Arkansas, violated FDA regulations on the inspection of eggs, built, maintained, and/or used a nuclear weapon within the city limits of Chico, California, wore a bullet-proof vest while comitting a murder in New Jersey, and trick or treated in Rehoboth Beach outside the hours of 5 pm to 8 pm.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 21, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Zereth posted:

To the best of my understanding, the price in the talent contest is getting to die.
And the reason that's the plot is the whole thing is based on a series of poems about each Jellicle cat, so when adapted into a story that turns into the cats just singing about themselves, which to be fair seems pretty catlike to me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ugh, the prize. price is a very different thing.

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Selachian posted:

My daughter liked them when she was younger, but she's a teenager now so she thinks she's "outgrown" that sort of thing. I'm sure she'll learn better when she's older.

the idea that phoebe has been around long enough for someone to grow out of it is blowing my loving mind

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Just a heads up - Elysiume's CSS no longer works - if you want to get GoComics images, add this to the style editor of your choice:

code:
.item-comic-link-disabled, .js-item-comic-link, .item-comic-image {
    pointer-events: auto !important;
    cursor: default !important;
}
Modesty Blaise

Classic Working Daze

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I forgot to bring this up but after Sunday's Funky, I hope that the movie is not only a bust but also it bankrupts dumb name actor Mason Jarr.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Zereth posted:

To the best of my understanding, the prize in the talent contest is getting to die.

EDIT: also one of the cats is a war profiteer, used confetti in Mobile, Alabama, mispronounced the name of Arkansas in Arkansas, violated FDA regulations on the inspection of eggs, built, maintained, and/or used a nuclear weapon within the city limits of Chico, California, wore a bullet-proof vest while comitting a murder in New Jersey, and trick or treated in Rehoboth Beach outside the hours of 5 pm to 8 pm.

So Highlander is basically a low-key remake of Cats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

plainswalker75 posted:

So Highlander is basically a low-key remake of Cats?
I haven't seen any version of Cats myself but one of the cats has "broken every human law"

there's a lot of things that means he has to have done