Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As a newbie to this world, how is it bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

iospace posted:

As a newbie to this world, how is it bad?

So here's the CON-40:

This is now the Pilot standard converter. The Metro comes with a different one, but any higher end Pilot pen will have this by default, and it fits most Pilot pens, Metro included. The idea with a converter is that it has a knob that you can turn to lower and raise the plunger inside the tube. You insert the converter and lower the plunger fully to expel the air and create a vacuum so that when you submerge the nib in your ink bottle and twist the knob to raise the plunger, the ink will displace into the converter and fill the pen. This also fills the feed with ink so that your pen will be ready to write with immediately (in other words, you won't have to prime it. A cartridge will have to drip down into the feed before it can start writing and that can be a pain.)

You see those little metal beads inside the tube? Those are ostensibly there to jostle the ink around and keep it from clinging to the side of the tube, so you can get the most use out of it before you refill. The problem is that those beads also keep the plunger from descending entirely and end up trapping air inside the tube, which prevents the ink from displacing. So no matter what, using the intended fill method, you will almost never get the tube more than half full, which is not much ink at all. The only way to do it is to either just fill the dumb thing with a syringe (at which point why the gently caress even bother with it?) or to fill it halfway, flip the pen over and very very slowly twist the knob to push more air out (and make a mess in the process) and try to fill the pen again.

In comparison, the CON-50 has a single large bead, the shape of the tube with a tapered tip that fits perfectly into the bottom of the converter and gets a full fill every time.

For some arcane reason, they discontinued that one.

Edit: for what it's worth, the 50 used to sell for like 8 bucks. The 40 is so bad that the 50 now sells for $40 because nobody wants the 40.

Heath fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 21, 2020

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Also for some reason I can't explain (someone else in here probably can) all my Pilot pens write better with a cartridge than they do with either of the currently-stock Pilot converters.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How long ago did that switch happen?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I feel like the carts allow the ink to flow more freely than the cons do. I also get better writing from them.

The switch happened probably 2 years ago? It was after I started using FPs which was 2016 or so.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Heath posted:

So here's the CON-50:

This is now the Pilot standard converter. The Metro comes with a different one, but any higher end Pilot pen will have this by default,

In comparison, the CON-40 has a single large bead, the shape of the tube with a tapered tip that fits perfectly into the bottom of the converter and gets a full fill every time.

For some arcane reason, they discontinued that one.

Edit: for what it's worth, the 40 used to sell for like 8 bucks. The 50 is so bad that the 40 now sells for $40 because nobody wants the 50.

You've got the con-40 and con-50 mixed up. The 40 is the new one that sucks, the 50 is the old one that sucks slightly less.

Also, all (*)their high-end cartridge/converter pens ship with the Con-70, which holds more ink, is easier to fill, but has other...charms.
(*) excluding pens that the con-70 doesn't fit in like the resin Falcon, Decimo, and Vanishing Point.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Whoops, I fixed it. Their naming conventions are also poo poo. You would think the newer model would have a higher number. :v:

Everything else about Pilot pens is top notch though. I own two Vanishing Points and they're excellent pens. Their Iroshizuku inks are some of the most beautiful on the market.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I would love a vanishing point, but that price point is a bit too high at the moment.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
As much as I'm horny for the Vanishing Point, stick to your Metro for a while and make sure you're actually going to use FPs before dropping that much money on a high end pen.

That said, keep an eye out on Amazon, because certain colors will go on discount frequently. The matte black one in particular seems to get $20-30 bucks knocked off of it every so often, and it's a slick looking pen with a black nib.

Also you may search for the "Capless" variety as well. It's the same pen body but includes a steel nib rather than a gold one (it is still gold colored, or at least mine was.) It's the finest nib I've ever used and they can be imported for around $90 if you look at eBay.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yet another question, because I end up having a lot: how good is the included converter with the metro?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's fine. I'm not a fan of squeeze fillers but it's perfectly functional. I think it's really intended for cleaning more than writing.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

So if I’m buying a pilot metropolitan, what’s best?

1. Squeeze converter?
2. Cartridges?
3. Con-40 (this seems like poop from the above discussion)?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Refilling cartridges with a blunt syringe is the best solution for ease and capacity.

The CON-40 sucks, but it will get ink into your pen.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah, don't get me wrong, the CON-40 works, it just doesn't work well. It bugs me to fill up a pen and only have half the ink it could hold.

The easiest method is just straight carts. If you're just rolling with black ink and don't want anything fancy, a box of carts will do you good.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

So if I’m buying a pilot metropolitan, what’s best?

1. Squeeze converter?
2. Cartridges?
3. Con-40 (this seems like poop from the above discussion)?

Just go with cartridges. Get a twsbi eco if you want to dive into the world of ink.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The con-40 is so bad that the 30 year career Pilot USA marketing guy who shows up on Goulet videos every so often just tells people to fill the converter up with a syringe rather than fill it normally.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Heath posted:

Also you may search for the "Capless" variety as well. It's the same pen body but includes a steel nib rather than a gold one (it is still gold colored, or at least mine was.) It's the finest nib I've ever used and they can be imported for around $90 if you look at eBay.

"Capless" is the name for the whole VP series in Japan and outside of the US. There are 14k and steel nib Caplesses. What you're thinking of is that the steel nib ones are Japan only.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe
Also if you're interested in a steel nibbed clicky FP, Platinum is re-entering the market after like 60 years with the Curidas, which should go on sale February 10 for 7000 yen. I tried one out and it seems like a decent writer, if a bit chunky in the hand. It feels like one of those big retractable highlighters.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/351321-new-platinum-curidas-capless-type-fountain-pen/

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dad Hominem posted:

"Capless" is the name for the whole VP series in Japan and outside of the US. There are 14k and steel nib Caplesses. What you're thinking of is that the steel nib ones are Japan only.

I think the steel ones are called "special alloy" or something? Look for those.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Lowness 72 posted:

Get a twsbi eco if you want to dive into the world of ink.

Which you should, it's super fun. A TWSBI Eco is my daily work pen, and it's great.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Rudeboy Detective posted:

Refilling cartridges with a blunt syringe is the best solution for ease and capacity.

The CON-40 sucks, but it will get ink into your pen.

I do this, it rocks, blunt syringes are cheap as hell, and work great getting the last few drops out of a sample vial.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I find it interesting that the Metro is pretty much universally the "hey, start with this". Usually everyone and their mother has an opinion on "hey, this is the best starting point" for people dipping into new things.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Well actually the Kakuno is the best starter pen.

(Sorry.)

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I mean, it's cheap, consistent, durable, reliable, has a clip, multiple converter options including babby's first introduction to blunt-tipped syringes, and you can get it in a quite fine Fine, a general-purpose Medium, or a swooshy and quite acceptable 1mm Stub. The Safari loses to it on price and consistency (Lamy nib QC is a shitshow), the Preppy loses to it on quality and nib variety, the Jinhao/Hero/etc options there lose to it on the point of "what do you mean, I try all ten of these pens off ebay and two or three of them will be okay?", and Noodlers lose to it on the grounds of "what do you mean, I *have* to tinker with it or it's poo poo? it doesn't just write out of the box?"

What other option even is there? I like my little sharky Jinhao but it's not a Metro killer by any means.

Edit: \/\/\/ I forgot how many finishes the little shits come in, but that is ALSO a huge selling point.

Remora fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 22, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Metro fits the perfect cross section of being high quality, sleek or colorful to your taste (compare the plain silver one with the polka dot green one for example), is expensive enough to feel super fancy to someone who is used to Bic ballpoints but cheap enough to feel like a good value, and has consistently good quality. It is The starter pen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dad Hominem posted:

Also if you're interested in a steel nibbed clicky FP, Platinum is re-entering the market after like 60 years with the Curidas, which should go on sale February 10 for 7000 yen. I tried one out and it seems like a decent writer, if a bit chunky in the hand. It feels like one of those big retractable highlighters.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/351321-new-platinum-curidas-capless-type-fountain-pen/

That is one horrendously ugly pen, but the (easily) removable clip is a big plus.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I just don't trust a refilled ink cartridge. I know I know. You've all done it and I'm a big dummy. But nuh uh I don't trust it not to spill ink everywhere.

e: Holy poo poo a new platinum pen! I really like the platinum 3776 nib. This weird feedback like I'm using a pencil. It's quite nice - at least on the broad.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lowness 72 posted:

I just don't trust a refilled ink cartridge. I know I know. You've all done it and I'm a big dummy. But nuh uh I don't trust it not to spill ink everywhere.

Cartridges are a single piece of plastic sealed by a separate disc or ball. Once you break the seal, it’s just plastic that’s kind of disproportionately thick compared to its volume. If you’re careful reloading and reinstalling it, nothing spills. They seem a lot easier to handle cleanly than a converter.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

iospace posted:

I find it interesting that the Metro is pretty much universally the "hey, start with this". Usually everyone and their mother has an opinion on "hey, this is the best starting point" for people dipping into new things.

It's a pen that should sell for double its msrp, and actually does in Japan and maybe other regions. It's a high quality pen, especially for the price and by one of the major brands. It's hard to beat $15 for a metro when the stuff below it is generally worse quality and equivalent pens from other brands start at about 30 bucks

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm starting to see, without actually having my pen, why this is habit forming.

So many pretty inks!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Newest sort of Delta

Leonardo Momento Zero in the Sand acrylic finish. Custom made for my local pen club. Lovely, lovely pen.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That's a beautiful little implement there

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Those Leonardo's are very tempting pens. Love the acrylics they use.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I bought a fountain pen revolution himalaya v2 a couple weeks ago and have been really liking it. However, I notice that sometimes on a flexed downstroke my pen will just dump a ton of ink. Anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? Does it just need to be heat set or something?

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

If you've got the scratch, get a VP.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

FFT posted:

If you've got the scratch, get a VP.

My VP with an F nib is the smoothest writing pen I have by far, it's really nice. Shame about the converter, otherwise it would basically be a perfect pen.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Whoa, Retro51 is shutting down (maybe for good). Guess I should pick up Tornado for my desk at work sooner rather than later.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Curiosity, more than anything, how much writing do you get out of a pilot cartridge vs a traditional ball point pen?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Hi pen thread! Recently got back into the fountain pen game with a new TWSBI ECO-T in this lovely coral color. Went with the fine nib, as I used to sketch with the Platinum Plasir pens I had about a year ago and the thinner nibs are so much nicer to draw with.

Behind it is the other joy of my (tiny) collection: a Conklin Duragraph ballpoint pen. It was a gift from my mom after she found out I was getting back into pens and it is seriously ugly. The photo doesn't do justice to it's bizarrely thick iridescent silver streaks. I know it's not fancy or well built, but drat if it isn't amusing.

How long can you leave a bottle of ink sitting around before using it again? I have a some Iroshizuku Yama-guri and Platinum Carbon Black that are about a year or more old now that I'd like to use again, but I don't want to put it in my pens if they're going to gunk up the works.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I have a bunch of bottles of Diamine and Noodlers that are 3+ years old and seem fine. I do make sure to shake them up real good every few months to fight settling.

The only brand I'd be concerned about molding crazy early would be Private Reserve, unless they've gotten a lot better.