Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Okay, I think I got it. Thank you for you explanations, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Is it just me or is this map subtly different that the one I originally commented on?

The one you commented on used 2000 census data.

The one I posted uses 2010 census data (since it's 2020 now, after all).

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Where does identifying as Mexican fall into this discussion?

e: for that matter, how many generations down does this matter for? Seems like a really America-specific perspective.

Furia has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Jan 21, 2020

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Jay Rust posted:

With Canada:

French Canadians feeling that their heritage is “French Canadian” and not “French” is a little surprising. I’m not sure if it’s as icky as Americans going for “American”; I suspect it’s motivated by the same racism / xenophobia as the latter, but... Could it be justified, given Quebec’s circumstances in particular?

The people of Quebec have a culture and history which has evolved in a fundamentally different way from their French origin. In fact, what is surprising here is that the chart says "French Canadian" at all, given that a large proportion of people in Quebec do not consider themselves French OR Canadian; they are Quebecois. They are decidedly not "just Canadians who speak French". They've been trying to leave Canada for literally decades because of this.

If you actually take a look at the results of Statcan's 2006 Census, you will find that "French Canadian" actually does not appear at all in the results, and that it was substituted instead of "Quebecois" in your chart. It's actually kind of offensive, to be honest.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Furia posted:

Where does identifying as Mexican fall into this discussion?

e: for that matter, how many generations down does this matter for? Seems like a really America-specific perspective.

It's self-identified, there's no formal rules for number of generations or whatever. And yeah very Canada and US specific.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

ShimaTetsuo posted:

The people of Quebec have a culture and history which has evolved in a fundamentally different way from their French origin. In fact, what is surprising here is that the chart says "French Canadian" at all, given that a large proportion of people in Quebec do not consider themselves French OR Canadian; they are Quebecois. They are decidedly not "just Canadians who speak French". They've been trying to leave Canada for literally decades because of this.

If you actually take a look at the results of Statcan's 2006 Census, you will find that "French Canadian" actually does not appear at all in the results, and that it was substituted instead of "Quebecois" in your chart. It's actually kind of offensive, to be honest.

Would a native French speaker from, say, New Brunswick call themselves or their heritage “Québécois”?

Jay Rust has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Jan 22, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

Would a native French speaker from, say, New Brunswick call themselves or their heritage “Québécois”?

No, from NB they would probably identify as Acadian.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Jay Rust posted:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

No, from NB they would probably identify as Acadian.

There was indeed a significant proportion of self-reported Acadians in that Census. There are no self-reported "French-Canadians".

I'm very sorry that I forgot our Francophone minority friends in the other provinces. That's my bad.

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

With Canada:

French Canadians feeling that their heritage is “French Canadian” and not “French” is a little surprising. I’m not sure if it’s as icky as Americans going for “American”; I suspect it’s motivated by the same racism / xenophobia as the latter, but... Could it be justified, given Quebec’s circumstances in particular?

didnt realize how many cubans made their way to canada.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Platystemon posted:

Figures like that are not representative of the general population.

The key is that the false paternity numbers are high in cases where paternity was tested. People tend to have suspicions before getting testing, so of course the sample is biased.

The way I heard it was that the figure was derived from large scale genetic studies on unrelated things, I really need to try and track down a reference someday to see if there's actually any truth to it.

Also yes, québécois will in general not take kindly to being called French.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They even have their own version of The Office in Quebecois French called La Job.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
They have their own versions of Disney songs!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What do Saint Pierre and Miquelon identify as?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nenonen posted:

What do Saint Pierre and Miquelon identify as?

Two empty rocks with like three people on them.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/PapaCoke/status/1219879630615859200?s=20

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm sauce-Hitler.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Count Roland posted:

I'm sauce-Hitler.

"How do you make this sauce?"

"Well, you first have to concentrate ze juice..."

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
From an annual report of a pretty major company (50k+ employees).

I'm sure this could be explained somehow. If anyone ITT can do that, I'd be grateful.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm sure this could be explained somehow. If anyone ITT can do that, I'd be grateful.

Somebody got the bright idea to combine a bar chart showing total sales with a bar chart showing % change in sales for each market area, but with the boxes scaled to show % change of the total sales caused by the changes in each market area (without actually labeling those percentages, because gently caress you).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yeah I see what they're going for. 2018 is the benchmark year, and then the bar chart sections are placed to be cumulative. Then if you add up all the components, you get to the 2019 sales number.

It's less clear to me what the 'reported' line is on the bottom.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ShimaTetsuo posted:

Along with Quebec, Anglo Canada has always been fascinating to me. It started out as just a few tiny leftover areas that remained loyal to the Crown, and even now, when you look at the map, they're split in two by Quebec. Forget the linguistic divide, I'm surprised that even the Anglo part has a common identity.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I see what they're going for. 2018 is the benchmark year, and then the bar chart sections are placed to be cumulative. Then if you add up all the components, you get to the 2019 sales number.

It's less clear to me what the 'reported' line is on the bottom.

Probably raw, pre-inflation numbers.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It's not hard. AMER is their biggest market section. EMEA and APAC are in shambles but distinct shambles which is useful information. Rather than reifying these categories they are grouping them by most "like" so "Europe" and "Latin America" behave similarly. So they should continue to focus on America/Canada and focus on growing NE Asia.

My guess is that they wanted to promote one manager and fire another.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It’s a fairly normal way of breaking down the difference between two years. Overall; 2019 is better than 2018 (blue bars). The first 3 regions are down Year on Year (percentage change for each region shown). The latter two are up Year on Year by a significant amount. The whole thing is kinda of like a “staircase”. Red is a step down, Green a step up. That’s why each “step” starts from where the previous one ends, it’s showing the overall cumulative effect.

These are useful because you might see overall YoY of +/-0%, but with the breakdown it’s because of growth in one area cancelling out shrinkage in another.

As for the reporting, I’d guess this was guidance or estimates from before the start of the year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
O.K. but why do Europe and Latin America comprise a region?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Why is 13 half the size of 11?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chin Strap posted:

Why is 13 half the size of 11?

Bars size is absolute sales.

North East Asia’s sales grew proportionally more than North America’s, but North America was a larger market to start with, so it made a greater change to the company’s bottom line.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Along with Quebec, Anglo Canada has always been fascinating to me. It started out as just a few tiny leftover areas that remained loyal to the Crown, and even now, when you look at the map, they're split in two by Quebec. Forget the linguistic divide, I'm surprised that even the Anglo part has a common identity.

It doesn't really. Canada is an extremely regional country, with regional identities that often have very little in common because populations are small and spread out over large distances. Generally you can talk about the Atlantic provinces, Quebec, Ontario, the Prairies, and British Columbia each having their own regional distinctions and cultural identities, and often these regions really hate each other to boot because everybody constantly feels like the other regions are screwing them over somehow.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And there's a pretty big urban rural divide on top of that too usually.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Platystemon posted:

Its divisions within the company. For whatever reason those regions make sense to operate as a business unit. Maybe they share some part of the supply chain. Maybe it’s the “everything else” group. But Bob is Sales Manager for North America, and Dave is Sales Manager for Europe and Latin America.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Weird divisions like that make sense when you think of it less as geographical regions and more as business volume. If they don't do a lot of business in Europe or Latin America, but do more than zero, it makes sense to lump it all under one umbrella in the budget. They may just consider these their lowest priority markets.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Platystemon posted:

In a word: language.

At least, that's my best guess.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

In a word: language.

At least, that's my best guess.

That was my guess too. We got a division that's Haiti, west Africa, central Africa.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Its irritating that the ladies aren't aligned at their proper age level.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Someone put Reagan in this graph, kthx.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Galaxy Centrist Brain

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

liberals and fascists aren't the same but they're definitely allies so the end result is the same

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

thou needn't do

in PYF

we're dorks but at least we have a sense of nuance