Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What's this all about?

There have been a lot of games made about Sherlock Holmes over the years. They've been released on many platforms and in a wide variety of different genres. This megathread will be focusing on the numerous graphical adventures that were released for the PC. The list is subject to change but the plan is to LP these games:

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel and The Case of the Rose Tattoo.

Consulting Detective volumes I, II & III

Sherlock Holmes series: The Mystery of the Mummy, The Case of the Silver Earring, The Awakened, Nemesis (or Sherlock Holmes Versus Arsène Lupin), Sherlock Holmes Versus Jack the Ripper, The Testament of Sherlock Holmes, Crimes & Punishments and The Devil's Daughter.

How much background information do I need?

You can go into these games blind, the majority of them play as standard point 'n' click adventures. I have read several of the short stories, but they were some years ago and my memory of them isn't too great. l have recently started to read the complete collection and I intend to finish at some point, most likely long after this LP series has ended. I will try to give some basic information here and there about some of the characters from the books, but I won't go into too many details. I'm sure that we will see several of the canonical characters often throughout this LP, I will try to give some tidbits here and there when they appear.

LP details

These will be VLP's and I like to record commentary as I play. Feel free to speculate and deduce all that you want too but please don't post spoilers unless they are appropriately tagged.

Bonus Videos

Prey Tell (Alternative Outcomes & Extra Scenes)
A Study In Green (Alternative Outcomes & Extra Scenes)
Infamy (Alternative Outcomes & Extra Scenes)
Chain Reaction (Alternative Outcomes & Extra Scenes)
Fever Dream (Extra Scenes & Dialogue)

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Completed & Archived Games

Let's Play - The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel

Let's Play - The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo

Let's All Play Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective 1, 2 & 3

Game Rules & Information: Click here
Newspapers: Imgur Album & Thread thumbnails

The Case Of The Mummy's Curse
Introduction
Update #1
Update #2
Update #3
Update #4 (Finale, Optimal Playthrough & All Video Clips)

The Case Of The Tin Soldier
Introduction
Update #1
Update #2
Update #3
Update #4
Update #5 (Finale, Optimal Playthrough & All Video Clips)

The Case Of The Mystified Murderess
Introduction
Update #1
Update #2
Update #3

The Case Of The Two Lions
Introduction
Update #1
Update #2
Update #3

The Case Of The Pilfered Paintings
Introduction
Update #1
Update #2
Update #3
Update #4
Update #5
Update #6
Update #7
Update #8 (Finale, Optimal Playthrough & All Video Clips)

The Case Of The Murdered Munitions Magnate
Introduction
Update #1
Update #2
Update #3

The Case Of The The Solicitous Solicitor
Introduction
Update #1
Update #2
Update #3
Update #4
Update #5
Update #6 (Finale, Optimal Playthrough & All Video Clips)

The Case Of The Banker's Final Debt
Introduction
Update #1
Update #2
Update #3
Update #4
Update #5

The Case Of The Thames Murders
Introduction
Update #1
Update #2
Update #3
Update #4
Update #5

Let's Play: Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery Of The Mummy

Let's Play: Sherlock Holmes: The Case Of The Silver Earring

Let's Play - The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened

Let's Play: Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis (Versus Arsène Lupin)

Let's Play: Sherlock Holmes Versus Jack the Ripper

Let's Play - The Testament Of Sherlock Holmes

Let's Play - Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments

Bonus Videos

The Fate Of Black Peter (Alternative Outcomes)
Riddle On The Rails (Alternative Outcomes)
Blood Bath (Alternative Outcomes)
The Abbey Grange Affair (Alternative Outcomes)
The Kew Gardens Drama (Alternative Outcomes)
A Half Moon Walk (Alternative Outcomes)

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 13, 2021

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

No samples or even mention of the interesting white dust? For shame.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, the acting in this is... Sure is something. At least it's better than Moffat's shite.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

SIGSEGV posted:

Holmes seems more interested in a non-existent perfume bottle than the white powder at the moment. Holmes does have his own means of deduction though, which I'm sure that we will find out where he's heading with it soon enough.

Samovar posted:

Well, the acting in this is... Sure is something. At least it's better than Moffat's shite.

I'm trying to pin down some of the actors and it's proving difficult. There are over twenty actors called David Davies (Holmes) on IMDb and there's no cast list for the game itself on there, the only guess that I have right now is that his career was mainly in the theatre. Laurie Main (Watson), on the other hand, had a long career that spanned over four decades.

I have no idea who plays Lestrade as he doesn't seem to be listed in the cast credits. Not unless he's listed as "dirty drunk." The "rough looking player" is obviously myself.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Part of me is waiting in anticipation for the Jack the Ripper game to see how it tackles this mystery.

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

This was the first adventure game I ever played (and I still have the CD for), as well as my introduction to Sherlock Holmes.

Excited to see how this goes.

Son Conan fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 11, 2020

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Samovar posted:

Well, the acting in this is... Sure is something.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Holmes and Watson question several more people, visit a new location and examine some suspiciously oily stains.

SIGSEGV posted:

Now that I've recorded this video I understand what you were meaning with this.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I've played every one of these games except The Devil's Daughter. My favorite is probably The Awakened simply for its premise.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
My entire knowledge of the Whitechapel murders comes from reading From Hell and its historical notes, but based on Moore's description of Jack basically becoming a tabloid sensation, it doesn't seem too farfetched that people would latch onto the idea that he was broadening his horizons.

I guess it doesn't bug me these days since Holmes is already making it clear that he doesn't think Jack is the killer.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Which one of these was the one where Holmes goes up against Cthulhu cultists?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Gideon020 posted:

Which one of these was the one where Holmes goes up against Cthulhu cultists?

Awakened.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

Neat, that was the one where I first encountered the eldritch terror known as the Teleporting Watson.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Eww. Eau de Seine? Who'd want to douse themselves with the waters of that river at THIS time?!

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Holmes seems more interested in a non-existent perfume bottle than the white powder at the moment. Holmes does have his own means of deduction though, which I'm sure that we will find out where he's heading with it soon enough.

I'm trying to pin down some of the actors and it's proving difficult. There are over twenty actors called David Davies (Holmes) on IMDb and there's no cast list for the game itself on there, the only guess that I have right now is that his career was mainly in the theatre. Laurie Main (Watson), on the other hand, had a long career that spanned over four decades.

I have no idea who plays Lestrade as he doesn't seem to be listed in the cast credits. Not unless he's listed as "dirty drunk." The "rough looking player" is obviously myself.

interestingly enough, Laurie Main also played a Dr. Watson in the Sherlock-Holmes-but-in-mouse-form in the pretty decent Great Mouse Detective. guessing that's why they cast him

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Holmes and Watson buy some flowers, frequent a pub and play some darts. We also speak to a lot of new people and track down a suspect. I've been having some hardware issues, please forgive the quality of the commentary.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Gideon020 posted:

Neat, that was the one where I first encountered the eldritch terror known as the Teleporting Watson.

Awakened and Nemesis got patched to have Watson actually walk around when Vs Jack the Ripper came out.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

whitehelm posted:

Awakened and Nemesis got patched to have Watson actually walk around when Vs Jack the Ripper came out.

Oh... I guess that means the LP is over! I wonder wether I could roll back the patch somehow.

I've managed to fix the hardware issue, the next video will be up within the next couple of days.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Maybe it's just me, but you're sounding pretty quiet in this most recent video...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Maybe it's just me, but you're sounding pretty quiet in this most recent video...

I thought that my new microphone had died so I was relying on an older one that hasn't aged well. The problem has been resolved now, the next video will have things back to normal.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Every time you've gone back to Baker street I've had a laugh at them putting Holme's target practice in there

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I decided to re-record the third video now that my microphone is in working order, I didn't feel comfortable with leaving the last video in the running playlist. It's still available to watch from the previous post, it's just now unlisted and has been replaced in the OP.

The only noticeable difference, apart from the commentary, is that I decided to purchase the extra items from the chemist that will be of no use whatsoever. Other than that, I tried to do everything as I did in the previous incarnation. You don't need to watch it if you have already watched the original.

Thank you for your understanding and patience. I'll upload the next episode in this series tomorrow.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, I already made a comment on the video about the mis-use of English by Holmes, so why not go onto something else; namely representations of Holmes! It's arguable that after the Devil, Sherlock Holmes is the most represented person in general media, as of such there are many great versions of him, and also several bad ones (Cumberbatch/Moffat!!!).

I heard of and have watched a lot of an old Soviet rendition of Holmes, which one can watch on youtube with subtitles here. It's exceptionally charming, the guy who plays Holmes is very good; I especially like how he's not seen as some kind of 'superman', he just makes connections very easily. Watson is also charming as a kind of hopeless romantic, and it's... intriguing to see how Russian sets look like Victorian England and yet... not quite (e.g. serving tea in glass cups). Just be prepared to thing of Watson as 'Kchvatson' throughout.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Your voice sounds so much clearer now. :toot:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I probably should have re-recorded this video as it starts off with an apology. Anyway... In this episode, Holmes and Watson poke around some dead animals, poke around some live animals and then poke around some dead people. I also realise now that I missed looking at "Corpse #1," I didn't see the prompt initially, we will return to the morgue before the game is over...

FoolyCharged posted:

Every time you've gone back to Baker street I've had a laugh at them putting Holme's target practice in there

I was wondering what that was, thank you for clearing it up.

Samovar posted:

Well, I already made a comment on the video about the mis-use of English by Holmes, so why not go onto something else; namely representations of Holmes! It's arguable that after the Devil, Sherlock Holmes is the most represented person in general media, as of such there are many great versions of him, and also several bad ones (Cumberbatch/Moffat!!!).

I heard of and have watched a lot of an old Soviet rendition of Holmes, which one can watch on youtube with subtitles here. It's exceptionally charming, the guy who plays Holmes is very good; I especially like how he's not seen as some kind of 'superman', he just makes connections very easily. Watson is also charming as a kind of hopeless romantic, and it's... intriguing to see how Russian sets look like Victorian England and yet... not quite (e.g. serving tea in glass cups). Just be prepared to thing of Watson as 'Kchvatson' throughout.

I'm quite surprised just how big Sherlock Holmes is in Japan as well, several games are Japanese only including a couple of games made by the developers of the Phoenix Wright series.

The Soviet rendition sounds pretty interesting. Vasily Livanov's portrayal of Holmes earned him an honorary OBE (Order of the British Empire.) Thank you for the link, I'll definitely check them out at some point. There was a more recent Russian adaptation made in 2013 which was based on the original storied, a third adaption is being made for release this year which will apparently be original stories.

Poil posted:

Your voice sounds so much clearer now. :toot:

I can only apologise profusely for that!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I was wondering what that was, thank you for clearing it up.

quote:

An anomaly which often struck me in the character of my friend Sherlock Holmes was that, although in his methods of thought he was the neatest and most methodical of mankind, and although also he affected a certain quiet primness of dress, he was none the less in his personal habits one of the most untidy men that ever drove a fellow-lodger to distraction. Not that I am in the least conventional in that respect myself. The rough-and-tumble work in Afghanistan, coming on the top of a natural Bohemianism of disposition, has made me rather more lax than befits a medical man. But with me there is a limit, and when I find a man who keeps his cigars in the coal-scuttle, his tobacco in the toe end of a Persian slipper, and his unanswered correspondence transfixed by a jack-knife into the very centre of his wooden mantelpiece, then I begin to give myself virtuous airs. I have always held, too, that pistol practice should be distinctly an open-air pastime; and when Holmes, in one of his queer humours, would sit in an armchair with his hair-trigger and a hundred Boxer cartridges, and proceed to adorn the opposite wall with a patriotic V. R. done in bullet-pocks, I felt strongly that neither the atmosphere nor the appearance of our room was improved by it.

From "The Musgrave Ritual".

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm very disappointed the game didn't make you move the crates back.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I find the acting delightful, it gives the whole affair this wonderful Amateur Dramatics Society feel. Like we're all sitting in rickety bum-numbing school-assembly seats in some ancient village hall in scenic West Bumfuckshire, watching the local councillor and bank manager earnestly stumble through their turn as Holmes and Watson by the light of flickering 70s fluorescents.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Ah, I have some fond (and not so fond) memories of the Serrated Scalpel. We played the DOS version as a family when I was a kid, but we had never been subjected to a pixel-hunt before and it took us days to find the spring in the victim's dressing room. Eventually my mom found it by diligently clicking across the entire goddamn screen, bless her. After that I think our only major stumbling block was trying to beat the barman at darts. I don't remember who eventually cracked that nut, but I do know that we loved this drat game. I thought the chemical analysis stuff was the coolest thing in the world at the time.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Holmes & Watson visit Scotland Yard, revisit a couple of locations and then have a rest at the theatre. They also uncover a couple of more leads, this case is far from over.

Gnoman posted:

From "The Musgrave Ritual".

I've only recently finished reading "A Study In Scarlet", this is a fair way down the list yet. I can't wait to see what Mrs Hudson thinks about this hobby.

Kibayasu posted:

I'm very disappointed the game didn't make you move the crates back.

It would have been the polite thing to do, considering that we pushed them in front of a display case. The game won't let you move them back yourself, unfortunately.

Loxbourne posted:

I find the acting delightful, it gives the whole affair this wonderful Amateur Dramatics Society feel. Like we're all sitting in rickety bum-numbing school-assembly seats in some ancient village hall in scenic West Bumfuckshire, watching the local councillor and bank manager earnestly stumble through their turn as Holmes and Watson by the light of flickering 70s fluorescents.

The whole feel of it to me so far feels like it was filmed in Britain during the 70's in Lower Shartingdon, West Bumfuckshire.

Walrus Pete posted:

Ah, I have some fond (and not so fond) memories of the Serrated Scalpel. We played the DOS version as a family when I was a kid, but we had never been subjected to a pixel-hunt before and it took us days to find the spring in the victim's dressing room. Eventually my mom found it by diligently clicking across the entire goddamn screen, bless her. After that I think our only major stumbling block was trying to beat the barman at darts. I don't remember who eventually cracked that nut, but I do know that we loved this drat game. I thought the chemical analysis stuff was the coolest thing in the world at the time.

You are now the official expert in this game, I have a couple of questions about the spring.

What is the significance of the spring? What happens if you don't return it to stop you from progressing?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love the little portraits and horrible acting. Such a blast from the past.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 20, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Gregson having flaming red hair on his Sprite and not on his actor is also pretty :discourse:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

Gregson having flaming red hair on his Sprite and not on his actor is also pretty :discourse:

The actor seems to have misplaced the moustache too.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

You are now the official expert in this game, I have a couple of questions about the spring.

What is the significance of the spring? What happens if you don't return it to stop you from progressing?

If you don't find the spring the guy can't fix the door, and with the door broken you're trapped in there.

With the benefit of hindsight I realize that this makes no sense whatsoever, but that's adventure games for you.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Walrus Pete posted:

If you don't find the spring the guy can't fix the door, and with the door broken you're trapped in there.

With the benefit of hindsight I realize that this makes no sense whatsoever, but that's adventure games for you.

You've got to love adventure game logic... The back door is broken, you opened it from the outside but you cannot open it from the inside, now you must fix it to leave. Just completely forget that there should be another door leading to the stage, the rest of the theatre and the entrance...

How underwhelming and thank you for clarifying.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Not to mention that Lestrade and the constable are right there on the other side of the door, so you could just shout a bit and have them open it for you.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Walrus Pete posted:

Not to mention that Lestrade and the constable are right there on the other side of the door, so you could just shout a bit and have them open it for you.

But that would be unseemly. Sherlock Holmes, Master of Detection, does not shout for help getting through a door!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

But that would be unseemly. Sherlock Holmes, Master of Detection, does not shout for help getting through a door!

How about jumping through a stack of barrels so he can rugby tackle someone to the ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

How about jumping through a stack of barrels so he can rugby tackle someone to the ground?

Well that's ok, because it isn't an admission that he needs the help of... Scotland Yard. The ultimate shame.