Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The blue alien singer lady was fifteen years old when Luc Besson hosed her. She was pregnant with his kid at fifteen or sixteen.

oh you gotta be loving kidding me, for christs sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Met a 12 year old, got her pregnant at 15, then when she was 20 on the set of The Fifth Element he cheated on her and dumped her for Milla Jovovich. Class act.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Atomic Blonde is good and enjoyable with a fantastic soundtrack but I'm not really sure I need a sequel for it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Besson has flat-out stated that the relationship in Leon is directly based on his relationship with Maïwenn Le Besco when he was thirty-one and she was fifteen and pregnant.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Proud Mary was undercut by the studio, there were reports of at least one sold-out Thursday night opening weekend show getting cancelled at the last minute.

Wait, what? Why?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Besson has flat-out stated that the relationship in Leon is directly based on his relationship with Maïwenn Le Besco when he was thirty-one and she was fifteen and pregnant.

WHY WOULD YOU ADMIT THIS

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

WHY WOULD YOU ADMIT THIS

He doesn't see anything wrong with it, to this day. He's never faced a consequence(he's been accused of rape by multiple women) and probably never will, so it's no surprise that he's brazen about it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

McCloud posted:

WHY WOULD YOU ADMIT THIS
In France it means you're a genius.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
He’s French

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

McCloud posted:

WHY WOULD YOU ADMIT THIS

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

McCloud posted:

WHY WOULD YOU ADMIT THIS

He admitted it way back in the 90s when it happened and nobody gave a poo poo until the #MeToo era when he started getting hit with allegations of rape.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He admitted it way back in the 90s when it happened and nobody gave a poo poo until the #MeToo era when he started getting hit with allegations of rape.

It's just nuts that the whole Fifth Element story was reported at the time as FIFTH ELEMENT DIRECTOR LEAVES WIFE FOR STAR MILLA JOVOVITCH, and almost completely glossed over the fact that his wife was 20 years old and they'd met when she was 12.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

McCloud posted:

WHY WOULD YOU ADMIT THIS

E U R O P E :france:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You guys say that as if it wouldn't have been exactly the same in 70s Hollywood.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It would have been fine in 70s Hollywood if he had drugged and raped a 15 year old as long as it wasn't too in the open, but like Jerry Lee Lewis' career pretty much ended when he married his 13 year old cousin. Also gently caress he was 22 and it was his third marriage.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

married but discreet posted:

oh you gotta be loving kidding me, for christs sake

Remember the first action sequence in Leon, where Leon takes all those guys protecting the mobster who was with a teen prostitute? Guess who it was Besson cast as the teen prostitute?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
*blank stare*

*chucks beloved 5th Element DVD in the bin*

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also by all accounts Leon would've ended up about 1000% creepier if Reno didn't make changes to the character to make the relationship feel more platonic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's funny cause I brought up Leon as a movie that's ahrder to watch in a post-metoo world with my family last week.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

davidspackage posted:

*blank stare*

*chucks beloved 5th Element DVD in the bin*

I've always hated the 5th Element, so any excuse to erase it from the world is a delight to me.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

McCloud posted:

WHY WOULD YOU ADMIT THIS

The Sexual Assault/Metoo thread has been extremely eye-opening regarding French culture :staredog:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

X-Ray Pecs posted:

At a certain point we should stop letting a noted rapist and pedophile direct movies.

I mean, I would be fine never watching a French movie again but some might object.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

duz posted:

I mean, I would be fine never watching a French movie again but some might object.

I watched Brotherhood of the Wolf for the first time in years just this past week and it's extremely good. So I'll probably watch that one again at some point.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just this month a French publisher put out a book about an author who groomed her when she was 14. The guy went around for decades doing this, bragging about it on a national stage, and nothing ever happened to him.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

fatherboxx posted:

E U R O P E :france:

Oi, leave me out of this. I'm with Werner Herzog, who is a grumpy saint.

Right?

:ohdear:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Grendels Dad posted:

Right?

As far as I know, Herzog is okay.
Klaus Kinski, though, was a VILE motherfucker.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Right?

Hopefully he didn't know about Kinski raping his daughter. I can't think of anything he's done that comes across as even vaguely pro-Pedo, so that's something.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Pretending he didn't know who Abel Ferrara is was kind of douchey

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

smug jeebus posted:

Pretending he didn't know who Abel Ferrara is was kind of douchey
He tried to get the title changed and the studio wouldn't let him. He did make the effort to patch things up with Ferrara. If Herzog says for instance, that he hasn't seen a Star Wars movie. I'd tend to believe him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Herzog has had other issues not related to sexual misconduct though. Mostly related to stuff he's done on set, like allowing a bunch of rats to be killed while filming Nosferatu, or his various dealings with the native populations during Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo. Nothing I'd put on the same level as a multiple rapist though.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
herzog didn't realize john waters is gay, dude operates on a different wavelength from the rest of us

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Stink Billyums posted:

herzog didn't realize john waters is gay, dude operates on a different wavelength from the rest of us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nCoWiwYQQY&t=50s

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

As far as I know, Herzog is okay.
Klaus Kinski, though, was a VILE motherfucker.

He should have accepted the natives' deal to kill Kinski.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Basebf555 posted:

I watched Brotherhood of the Wolf for the first time in years just this past week and it's extremely good. So I'll probably watch that one again at some point.

I loved that movie when it came out I should catch up with it now that it’s 18 :chloe:

Also re: fifth element dvds and the wastebin

The Rifftrax has zero reverence for it.

And lol if you didn’t know about Luc Basin

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

When Harvey Weinstein was being exposed, Besson actually posted a photo on his Instagram where he posed with Cara Delevigne with the caption of something like "this is how a gentle consensual loving touch looks like".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

He should have accepted the natives' deal to kill Kinski.

I think he has said in retrospect, he should have.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hugo Weaving will not be in Matrix 4 because of a scheduling conflict and the Wachowskis are not interested in delaying their movie to get him in

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-matrix-4-hugo-weaving-not-returning-as-agent-smith

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's pretty dumb.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Weaving is arguably the best thing about the latter Matrix movies so not having him at all kills even the minor interest I may have had in this (which wasn't much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Matrix 4 will be the Terminator Genisys of Matrices