Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Just gave my horse another quick punch in the face. He gave me this shocked look just long enough for me to jump into the saddle and spur him and off we went. Yeehaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Game is actually kind of fun the one time out of five times that a cheater isn't in the match.

But jesus, look at those spoilsports with zero score who spend all of their time shooting people spawning rather than doing the objective. The free roam events are so fundamentally broken even without cheaters.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 21, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Google Butt posted:

Is there a mod for PC that completely transforms the controls so that this game is enjoyable

Sure, buying an Xbox one controller (or similar)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh it didn’t even occur to me he was on keyboard/mouse. Definitely go for an Xbox controller for pc gaming whenever you comfortably can.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Zesty posted:

Game is actually kind of fun the one time out of five times that a cheater isn't in the match.

But jesus, look at those spoilsports with zero score who spend all of their time shooting people spawning rather than doing the objective. The free roam events are so fundamentally broken even without cheaters.

The train missions are insufferable because of this.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Google Butt posted:

Is there a mod for PC that completely transforms the controls so that this game is enjoyable
could you be more specific? i was quite pleased with kb+m once i adjusted the keybinds and learned to slow down around npcs. pretty much all of the complaints i heard from reviewers back during the original release were not an issue for me

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Vichan posted:

The train missions are insufferable because of this.

*nods*

I did two of those, I don't think I'll do another one. It doesn't help that everyone spawns at the same spot which means that 2 seconds after you do, the next guy spawning will shoot you in the back. And the next guy Spawning will shoot him.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I tried playing with keyboard + mouse and eventually gave up and switched to a controller. I still use the keyboard to navigate through menus and the catalog and the mouse to aim sniper rifles since there's no auto-aim with a scope, but movement is 10000% easier with a pad.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I did one of those king of the train missions it was really fun, the secret is to try and flank the train because like you guys said people respawning from the back will just try and shoot you if you follow the track to it. Bring a shotgun, it will work best.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Hihohe posted:

I did one of those king of the train missions it was really fun, the secret is to try and flank the train because like you guys said people respawning from the back will just try and shoot you if you follow the track to it. Bring a shotgun, it will work best.

absolutely this. ride wide out away from the train then cut back in and board it from the front, whoever is in control of the carriage is probably looking to the rear of the train so you're almost guaranteed an easy kill.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Fishing challenges are great...when the fish actually bite with the bait you’re given.....and there aren’t two dudes off in a corner catching 5-6 19lb fish in a row

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So ive done a few online missions and scraped up enough gold to buy a profession. What is the most fun?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Most fun? Bounty Hunting has legendary bounties which can be a fun PVE thing with friends.

I did Collector first because you can use online maps for collection items and get thousands of dollars a day if that kind of monotony is something you don’t mind while watching TV or listening to podcasts or something.

Trader feels grindy AND it’s not rewarding. I haven’t played with Moonshiner yet but it seems to be much the same.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
You need trader to unlock moonshiner

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Clavavisage posted:

You need trader to unlock moonshiner
No. Im not a trader but I maxed out moonshiner.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Zesty posted:

Most fun? Bounty Hunting has legendary bounties which can be a fun PVE thing with friends.

I did Collector first because you can use online maps for collection items and get thousands of dollars a day if that kind of monotony is something you don’t mind while watching TV or listening to podcasts or something.

Trader feels grindy AND it’s not rewarding. I haven’t played with Moonshiner yet but it seems to be much the same.

Where I'm at with Moonshiner it feels real nice the deliveries are few and far between while most of the exp comes from wandering into an enemy moonshiner camp and disposing of it. Though the camps are pretty rough as those Agents are hard hitting and tough to kill.

My Role Ranking would be:

#1 - Collector: Easy way to make money, and can work itself into whatever else you're doing. Free Roam event is kind of fun.

#2 - Moonshiner: Just started, I'm level 8, but has enough story missions to make it feel interesting, and adds fun events on world map.

#3 - Bounty Hunter: The bounties and legendaries are fine but they're very routine after a while, and the Free Roam events are good and awful.

#4 - Trader: Grinding exp to level by breaking the wagon and horsing it was fine. Free Roam event is one of the best. Other than that...the T+E vs $ is awful. They need to either leave prices as they are, which frankly suck, and increase the amount you get for turning in materials, or they need to increase the payouts from what they are now. There's no reason why investing 3 hours in Collector to complete a few sets will see you over $1000, while the equivalent amount of work in Trader instead gives you $150~

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Cage posted:

No. Im not a trader but I maxed out moonshiner.

Did you get trader for free during one of the promos?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
The best part of trader is dynamite arrowing large wagons and riding away cackling because you cost someone 3 hours with 1 shot

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
moonshiner is far and away the most interesting but also costs more gold to set up iirc?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Collector + Outlaw Pass is ridiculous fast - at least, I think it was the OP that was dropping random collection items and maps on me as I looted the world, and turned in baggies of stuff for Big Cowbucks.

Moonshiner still seems bugged - more infinite-loads and/or disconnects when trying to start either 'shine runs or generic missions. Really need to get a kitchen or outside fireplace added, because yeehaw does not live by bar nuts alone. (Also, other than the first two runs I did, where I shot the revenooers at the checkpoint, I've been passed through every time. Low & average quality hooch, maybe it'll change when I go hi-test?)

Saturday and Sunday were disconnect-fests, Monday was less so. Critters are still tending to be rare until i start a mission, unless I get to a less-popular area.

Woofs! Mostly on supply runs, but I stumbled into a couple up near Macfarlane Ranch last night. Also nabbed a Perfect black bear skin - as I was hunting a whitetail for the supply run. Guess dragging the deer halfway across the zone and down a couple miles of railroad track still resulted in acceptable quality. :unsmiggh:

Figures out the satchel-carried fish - I had to break them down to get cookable parts. Doesn't seem to work for horse-carried ones, though.

Dear NPCs - you don't want to get run down, don't ride down a single-lane road three abreast when a trading wagon is highballing your way.

The "underground Valentine" trading goods thing seems to be a spawn issue. Caught a train as I was halfway across Bard's Leap en route to Blackwater, one bag stayed on the bridge, the other went to Valentine. Got exciting because a player started murdering me as I showed up for it, and we traded deaths at about 1:3 ratio him:me. If he'd hung around after the clock ran out, I'd've tipped my hat, as he *wasn't* a cheater.

Late weird poo poo report: quite a while back, I was down New Austin way picking a flower, horse offloads used food as usual, but as I'm running about looking for more collector loot (sound keeps playing after you pick the drat flower), I notice... poop. Floating in mid-air. *Rising*. The Miraculous Ascension Of The Horseshit continued until I left, it was about 30 feet up and no signs of stopping. Wish I'd had it set to record video for that.

28-day streak coming up! A week before I move and probably break it because of internet loss, but hey, I think I can pul

ERROR: Server has taken a poo poo

Edit: hey, would I need a mod menu to set the game to play a whinny and turd-plopping sound whenever there's a server disconnect?

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 22, 2020

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

i like trader because i like hunting stuff. moonshine missions are kind of garbage with going slow and how steep the loss is from losing just one or two jugs or the chance that a buyer for your flavor of moonshine might just go away when the buyers reset and you gotta sell it to that hobo. bounty hunting is fun, but doesn't pay worth a drat and collecting is boring unless you have something else to do on the way or a movie to watch on another screen.

it would be cool though if cripps would request certain animals from time to time independent of the resupply missions that would give more materials than normal so there's a reason to hunt something other than deer/pronghorn/bighorn.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Ash1138 posted:

i like trader because i like hunting stuff. moonshine missions are kind of garbage with going slow and how steep the loss is from losing just one or two jugs or the chance that a buyer for your flavor of moonshine might just go away when the buyers reset and you gotta sell it to that hobo. bounty hunting is fun, but doesn't pay worth a drat and collecting is boring unless you have something else to do on the way or a movie to watch on another screen.

it would be cool though if cripps would request certain animals from time to time independent of the resupply missions that would give more materials than normal so there's a reason to hunt something other than deer/pronghorn/bighorn.

One of today's dailies is "sell 5 feathers", and I've seen trader-specific one like "turn in x number of <size> carcasses", and yesterday IIRC was "turn in predator skins/carcasses". Otherwise, yeah, bust on the hooved rats. :clint:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If anyone needs 3 rats collected, there are a bunch of the Elysian Pool cave behind the waterfall. Found 4 rats in that big room with the skylight.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Not sure if it's the patch or bad luck, but resupply runs seem to have been punishingly difficult:

two chemical wagon runs that were near impossible within the time limit (some of this is bad luck with camp placement)
one where the supplier was under attack and died almost immediately
one where I had to get supplies from the broken wagon, and they "escaped with supplies" almost immediately

After that I got another chemical wagon and just said gently caress it and shut down for the day

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The most fun I’ve had in online was absolutely filling a bounty wagon with a $$$ 6 man bounty and bringing them back alive. It did take a friend to help.

We lost a few bolas so the payout was, generously speaking, breaking even. We felt like stone cold bad asses though.

Beyond that I’m also a sucker for hunting. Once you buy all the stuff that you feel like you absolutely need and can hunt without absolutely optimizing it opens up.

Arguably single player is still better for this for a variety of reasons but I enjoy having my cowboy Barbie and the random encounters with other real people while I’m out shooting ducks or whatever.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Theres a boat in the lagras swamp where you can sit on the board to the boat. I wonder why they put a specific sit command there.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Probably because it looks cool?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there's a few locations that are like that. There's one way up in the loving mountains on a small trail you basically can't follow by accident, whoever put them in had a lot of fun.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zesty posted:

If anyone needs 3 rats collected, there are a bunch of the Elysian Pool cave behind the waterfall. Found 4 rats in that big room with the skylight.

Bolger Glade, the Civil War battlefield south of Rhodes, also has some usually.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

burned up house south of valentine has a few too

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yesterday I was galloping around, when I mistakenly grazed a mounted NPC's horse with my own horse. No collision, no one fell, just passing a bit too close and the horses' hitboxes must have touched each other slightly.

The dude went "I WILL KILL YOU LIKE A SICK DOG" and started shooting, I took off in hopes of avoiding having to kill him because I don't really like killing random NPCs, but he pursued and kept shooting me

so I turned around and gave him 100% of the recommended daily dose of lead, and I get penalized as a murderer? The dude literally starts shooting because I passed too close for his liking, and I'm the murderer? wtf :rockstar:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

TorakFade posted:

Yesterday I was galloping around, when I mistakenly grazed a mounted NPC's horse with my own horse. No collision, no one fell, just passing a bit too close and the horses' hitboxes must have touched each other slightly.

The dude went "I WILL KILL YOU LIKE A SICK DOG" and started shooting, I took off in hopes of avoiding having to kill him because I don't really like killing random NPCs, but he pursued and kept shooting me

so I turned around and gave him 100% of the recommended daily dose of lead, and I get penalized as a murderer? The dude literally starts shooting because I passed too close for his liking, and I'm the murderer? wtf :rockstar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra0-SDmtX4k

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

lol this is pretty much SP for me just a never ending stream of dead witnesses as i plod my way around the map

Minus New Haven that places loving owns

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

TorakFade posted:

\I don't really like killing random NPCs, but he pursued and kept shooting me

I used to play like this. The first one is the hardest. Then it gets easier. Then you start getting mad at them when they only carry 9 cents in their pockets. Then you find yourself removing any and all traces of identifying information on the body and oh hey you have that jug of flammable moonshine it would be a shame to

oh sorry yes hello id like a baconator with baconator fries please

But really just kill anyone you see and give your horse some pats and some hay and its all erased.

Cage fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 22, 2020

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Theres a boat in the lagras swamp where you can sit on the board to the boat. I wonder why they put a specific sit command there.

The west facing hay door in the Valentine Barn is a good spot too.

If you can get on top of it, there's a spot on the Strawberry sheriff's office.

I've kind of been looking for these spots in SP and RDO.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've been told you can sit on certain cliffs. I've never been able to find one.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
In SP the most obvious one I missed for a while we're the cliffs at the Horseshoe Overlook camp.

Haven't found a sit-able cliff in RDO.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I found one near the top of Brandywine Drop on the west side of the falls once in RDO, but I sure as hell couldn't find it again when I went back to show it off

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I need moody pictures of your guys characters sitting in your favorite spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

TorakFade posted:

Ayup. Law of the West should be "Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'."

Anyone else ever get a ding and a red "Murder" penalty, when not doing anything and with no one around? Get up from cooking at the fire? *DING* Step outside my moonshine hovel? *DING* Brushing my horse after digging up a collectable? *DING*

It's not real common, but occasionally. Maybe I'm seriously schizophrenic and leaving mail bombs or booby traps, or Cripps/Maggie Sikes are killing folks and I get the blame?

Light weirdness last night: start a moonshine delivery, screen goes black and *doesn't* infinite load.

Oh, and it starts me off just outside the 'shine hovel, and I have to run down the road about 30 yards to get in the wagon, instead of spawning there in the first place. First time *that's* happened.

And this time, the revenooers just tell me to keep going, they didn't even have me stop. MY TAX DOLLARS! :argh: