Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Curb is back! The season premiere is on Sunday, January 19th on HBO. Bunch of guest stars, inane arguments, and a guy called Leon.

Teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViCeyLHhnrk

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7bnE6XiOEQ

Sadly, no Funkhauser as Bob Einstein passed away, but according to Larry, his death is addressed on the show.

Let us never forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o5m_mXadoU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
How is Richard somehow still alive yet Marty Funkhouser died? :rip:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

sticksy posted:

How is Richard somehow still alive yet Marty Funkhouser died? :rip:

Larry's super kidney.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Oh poo poo, I didn't realise Bob Einstein passed away, he was by far one of my favorite side characters.

I guess we still have Ted Danson.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Harvey Weinstein lol

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Great episode. I was a little worried after the initial gym scene. But the rest has been excellent. The entire exchange between him and his assistant was hilarious. The MAGA hat montage was unreal as well.

Tone seems a little different. Not as harsh maybe?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Of course Spectrum has an outage right when the episode drops on HBO Go.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Harvey Weinstein joke was worth the price of admission but Curb really still feels suck in 1998.

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
...Which is weird, since Curb didn't actually premiere until 2000.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

KenjiKaizoku posted:

...Which is weird, since Curb didn't actually premiere until 2000.

there was only like one other person in my high school who watched it, and we had a nice little curb bond

(back in the early rear end aughts)

Despera fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 20, 2020

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Man, the number of times Larry fucks up in this first episode.

That has to be some kind of record..

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mcmagic posted:

The Harvey Weinstein joke was worth the price of admission but Curb really still feels suck in 1998.

It's definitely got a formula but I couldn't give less of a poo poo

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Latte Larry's. Great episode, strong out the gate.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
i don't care if larry david is still making this show when hes 112 in a wheelchair and every other person has died, i'll never stop watching it

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Holy poo poo Richard Lewis looks rough.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Strong start, bit of an abrupt ending but eh whatever. From the trailer I thought Jeff looked a lot like Weinstein but didn't think anything of it beyond that until the woman looked at him up and down in disgust and I lost it. The MAGA hat montage was great too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Der Shovel posted:

Holy poo poo Richard Lewis looks rough.

He's over 70 and was an alcoholic for decades so it's no surprise.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Great episode. Larry taking away the guys selfie stick and breaking it over his knee was my highlight.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Great episode. I was a little worried after the initial gym scene. But the rest has been excellent. The entire exchange between him and his assistant was hilarious. The MAGA hat montage was unreal as well.

Tone seems a little different. Not as harsh maybe?

Ha, I thought the opposite. Usually Larry has kind of a point, even if he's abrasive and condescending in the process. In the new ep he was an unprompted/inexcusable dickhead about the assistant's tattoo, wiping his glasses on her shirt, the final shot in the hospital, etc.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I was about to fall asleep and I thought about susie's outfit and I started laughing.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
:ironicat:

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/larry-david-goes-maga/

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That was loving great. Better than anything in season 9. Looking forward to the rest. Larry was much more of an rear end in a top hat than usual but it was still hilarious.

I wonder if they got to film anything with Bob Einstein before he died.:smith:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 20, 2020

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I laughed a lot that ep. thought it was better than a lot of season 8 and most of season 9. agreed the ending was a little abrupt however. larry does seem to get annoyed quicker in the last few seasons than he did in the early seasons but you can just chalk that up to old bald gently caress syndrome.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Totally forgot this premiered last night! I loved this episode, definitely felt funnier than most of 8/9. The Maga hat stuff and Jeff walking around unknowingly looking like Weinstein was great.

Before I started I scrolled through the last two seasons and I'm amazed at how few of those I actually remember watching despite definitely seeing every one of them. I really hope they keep up the pace this season, this was for sure a good start.

Edit: I forgot about it until now but I was literally just having a "statute of limitations" about saying happy new year conversation with some friends at work like last week, I had to laugh when literally the exact same thing came up on this episode :sweatdrop:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 21, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

DuhSal posted:

I laughed a lot that ep. thought it was better than a lot of season 8 and most of season 9. agreed the ending was a little abrupt however. larry does seem to get annoyed quicker in the last few seasons than he did in the early seasons but you can just chalk that up to old bald gently caress syndrome.

Season 9 I can see but the New York half of 8 was as good as the show's ever been.

Also, Jeff really does look like Weinstein holy poo poo

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

Season 9 I can see but the New York half of 8 was as good as the show's ever been.

yea the new york half was definitely good but I actually think this ep was the most consistently funny it's been in a while. thou I haven't re-watched any previous seasons for a bit so my memory may not be great.

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!

Jokes are problematic

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Wow that had more laughs than I was expecting. Love that every time Larry interacts with anyone outside his inner circle, the other person ends up pissed off. Even when they start out friendly, it all goes to hell in about 3 lines. Like I think he started up with the pregnant woman because she was running while he was on the treadmill, casually strolling along.

And quickly going from "Mocha Joe, great to see you!" to "I don't think you know what a scone is".

I wonder if all the coffee stuff was riffing on Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Or maybe it's just what old comics do to fill their days.

That writer's a peckerhead. Trumpism is more of a straight up insult comic phenomenon like old Andrew Dice Clay.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Mocha Joe thing is even more of a Seinfeld storyline than you typically see in Curb, I can't wait to see where that goes. Larry running a coffee shop sounds completely absurd.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

I wonder if all the coffee stuff was riffing on Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Or maybe it's just what old comics do to fill their days.

Hanging out and getting coffee is a pretty universal experience

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

The Mocha Joe thing is even more of a Seinfeld storyline than you typically see in Curb, I can't wait to see where that goes. Larry running a coffee shop sounds completely absurd.

You don't have the beans!!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought this episode was kind of up and down. The MAGA hat bit is brilliant.

Also a big part of my love of this show is growing up with a very Larry-esque father (which has rubbed off on me to an extent). “You don’t have to call when you land. If the plane crashes I’ll hear about it.” is a verbatim quote from him.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

Hanging out and getting coffee is a pretty universal experience

Not as an entire day's occupation!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

Not as an entire day's occupation!

Nobody's spending an entire day there. People are stopping in while walking around LA.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

I thought this episode was kind of up and down. The MAGA hat bit is brilliant.

Also a big part of my love of this show is growing up with a very Larry-esque father (which has rubbed off on me to an extent). “You don’t have to call when you land. If the plane crashes I’ll hear about it.” is a verbatim quote from him.

Ive told my parents that when they ask why i dont call after landing

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I keep thinking about Leon talking about his uncle and his wobbly leg today and laughing.

"I got an uncle with a wobbly leg. I can't stand that motherfucker. Leaning on poo poo all the time.."

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope Larry’s maga hat idea is a running thread through the season.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Love when Larry sees Richard Lewis in Mocha Joe's and confronts him.
"You said you were gonna boycott this place?!"
Complete deadpan response: "I am boycotting this place".
I could watch a whole episode of these 2 talking back and forth. About anything.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope Larry’s maga hat idea is a running thread through the season.

All the staff at Latte Larry's will wear them.

Nobody's spending an entire day there. People are stopping in while walking around LA.

Happy new year!

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Jeff Garlin with a five oh clock shadow DOES eerily look like Harvey Weinstein, but turning that into a joke feels shaky considering that in the 00s they definitely imply that Jeff was trading sex for professional consideration. Susie even directly accuses him of such and it gets a mealy-mouthed half-denial from Jeff and Larry.

I kind of hope that this premiere was about putting all these Heavy, Modern topics in the forefront as potential season arcs, but the true plot is actually Larry going back into the restaurant business to spite a minor character from one episode, years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

tin can made man posted:

Jeff Garlin with a five oh clock shadow DOES eerily look like Harvey Weinstein, but turning that into a joke feels shaky considering that in the 00s they definitely imply that Jeff was trading sex for professional consideration. Susie even directly accuses him of such and it gets a mealy-mouthed half-denial from Jeff and Larry.

I kind of hope that this premiere was about putting all these Heavy, Modern topics in the forefront as potential season arcs, but the true plot is actually Larry going back into the restaurant business to spite a minor character from one episode, years ago

jeff and larry are pretty scummy dudes in universe, and they don't really make any secret of that to eachother