Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Davros1 posted:

Remonds me of Season 1 of Fargo where people were certain Billy Bob Thornton's character was going to be revealed as the Devil. But nope, he was just some dude.

He was the devil, in the same way that other Coen Bros characters like Anton Chigurh and Leonard Smalls are. And considering how much batshit unexplained supernatural stuff went down in that show it seems really weird to smug it up about the sheer audacity of people thinking a show with supernatural elements in it might, in fact, have a supernatural element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Especially a show with literal UFOs in the very next season.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Justified being on Hulu actually sucks because I don't have Hulu and now I can't re-watch it on Prime :argh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol:, Cobra is a story about neo-nazi militias, unions and nationalist tories uniting to stop the liberal tory government from repairing vital national infrastructure. I've still the final episode to go but WOW. This show is something.

EDIT: The themes of this show are so confused.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 21, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/1219723203972648961

Where's my goddang Peter Falk instructions

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sirotan posted:

Justified being on Hulu actually sucks because I don't have Hulu and now I can't re-watch it on Prime :argh:

Pretty much all of FX's catalog is going to be moving to Hulu both past and future now that Fox is Disney owned.

I would expect "The Americans" to show up there also depending on what the rights agreements with Amazon are.

Come March, all new episodes of FX content are going to be on Hulu day after.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

bull3964 posted:

I would expect "The Americans" to show up there also depending on what the rights agreements with Amazon are.

poo poo guess I should finally get around to seeing this then

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Yea The Outsider is pretty drat good (watched the first two episodes so far). Didn't realize it was written by Richard Price, who wrote some of the best episodes of The Wire.

Show wisely puts much of it's focus on character drama, and how the crime and its aftermath affects everyone involved.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The Outsider and For All Mankind are my current favorites. The latter is so drat good please watch it (on the apple service)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

theblackw0lf posted:

Yea The Outsider is pretty drat good (watched the first two episodes so far). Didn't realize it was written by Richard Price, who wrote some of the best episodes of The Wire.

Show wisely puts much of it's focus on character drama, and how the crime and its aftermath affects everyone involved.

If you’re adapting King and aren’t putting emphasis on the character drama you’re doing it wrong, so that’s good to hear.

His biggest strength as a writer is how he writes characters, so it’s disappointing a lot of adaptations ignore that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Justified has the greatest final scene of any show I have ever watched. And so many fantastic moments along the way.

Justified belongs in the same category as Hell on Wheels. Genuinely great shows, outstanding in some aspects even, that unfortunately existed in the same general TV era as Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and GoT.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

Justified belongs in the same category as Hell on Wheels. Genuinely great shows, outstanding in some aspects even, that unfortunately existed in the same general TV era as Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and GoT.

You did not just unfavorably compare Justified to Walking Dead and GoT, did you?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Pretty sure they just meant in terms of popularity and hype, not actual quality.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You did not just unfavorably compare Justified to Walking Dead and GoT, did you?

It tracks if the comparison concerns viewing numbers.

Edit: beaten like a red headed step child

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Oh, got tripped up by the actual good shows in that list. My bad!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I finally got around to watching Alone Together last night. Holy gently caress how did I miss this and how was it not a big hit?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Djarum posted:

I finally got around to watching Alone Together last night. Holy gently caress how did I miss this and how was it not a big hit?

Freeform and super annoying millenials. Although i'm a big fan of Chris D'Elia and Esther Povitsky

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really liked what I've seen of Alone Together, and I need to get some other stuff out of my watchlist so I can jump back in again soon.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cancelled a season too soon, They should have given it another shot. The second season was very funny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Pretty much all of FX's catalog is going to be moving to Hulu both past and future now that Fox is Disney owned.

Come March, all new episodes of FX content are going to be on Hulu day after.

They're also doing shows that are FX branded but will only appear on Hulu.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As someone who hasn't read the book I was definitely surprised in the second episode of The Outsider when they just straight up kill off Justin Bateman's character. I was kind of expecting him to stick around with how much the promotional stuff featured him.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Djarum posted:

I watched it recently and the main guy didn't seem to have any idea what to look at during his scenes so he ended up looking like a weirdo since his eyes were either looking at the wrong thing or constantly moving.

Also, as someone who mainly watched it because I think Esther is hot, it was disconcerting that the show seemed determined to try to convince us that she looks like a 10 year old...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s her characterisation in every show tbf

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

As someone who hasn't read the book I was definitely surprised in the second episode of The Outsider when they just straight up kill off Justin Bateman's character. I was kind of expecting him to stick around with how much the promotional stuff featured him.

I tried watching episode 3 but ironically it feels like the show just kinda lost its thread. We spend two episodes with one premise and then whoopsie, this is now another kind of story entirely.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

I tried watching episode 3 but ironically it feels like the show just kinda lost its thread. We spend two episodes with one premise and then whoopsie, this is now another kind of story entirely.

Isn't this one the fundamental qualities of television, though, particularly serialised television? Stories unfold and their focus shifts, and the thing you were watching one week ends up being something different in the next week.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
David Lynch... made a 17 minute short for netflix... about interrogating a monkey where they do that hokey 'mask everything but the mouth' thing on said monkey

:psyduck:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s pretty tame by Lynch standards.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Isn't this one the fundamental qualities of television, though, particularly serialised television? Stories unfold and their focus shifts, and the thing you were watching one week ends up being something different in the next week.

EDIT: To clarify these are Outsider ep 1 & 2 spoilers.

Sure, but the way they opted to do it just isn't very engaging for me personally. For example, psychopath cop needed a dramatically better set-up to tie him into events than just scene after scene showing he's an rear end in a top hat in detached story-free spaces. I get that he'll become important down the line but all these scenes are really dull and uninteresting because I've seen it all before in other shows.

Another is Bateman dying. It just kinda drops the whole thrust of the story. So ok the killer we haven't seen and know nothing about may still be out there, but why should we care. All sense of urgency is lost with his death since his rapidly deteriorating personal situation — and that sliver of doubt that it might still be him — was the stakes.

I don't think the opening 2 episodes lend themselves to setting up a serialised story at all.

EDIT2: Also for gods sakes is this a universe where people do just not buy lamps.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 22, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is there a Outsiders thread? Georgia doesn't have 4 million people...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Terry Jones died.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

David Lynch... made a 17 minute short for netflix... about interrogating a monkey where they do that hokey 'mask everything but the mouth' thing on said monkey

:psyduck:

Ever heard of Eraserhead?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s pretty tame by Lynch standards.

This guy has.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there a Outsiders thread? Georgia doesn't have 4 million people...

Georgia the state is over 10 million. You're thinking the country.

Davros1 posted:

Terry Jones died.

Yeah the wrong Terry from Monty Python died :( . Terry Jones was a wonderful person and it was super sad when he was diagnosed. Terry Gilliam however gets to live forever on pure chud hate.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Who's left of the Pythons? I feel like the recent obituaries have had several python adjacent people, but not Cleese, Idle or Gilliam.

Croatoan posted:

I collect silver coins. One time on Reddit I tried to say that silver coins with swastikas on them from the Nazi era are gross and bad and I was ridiculed and attacked so yeah. Reddit sucks in a lot of ways. And I mean I got dunked on hard. "It's just a piece of history stupid! Why are you trying to change history, stupid?". Meanwhile if you took the time to look at the profiles of the people saying that I was stupid they were super hard-core Trump supporters that were really racist but no it's my fault for not appreciating swastikas?

This is a bit of a Necro, but we have a numismatic thread here. Much like your Reddit analogy, it's like something awful because activity falls off a cliff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There! Are! Four! Remaining members of Monty Python!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

x post from the thread

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It'll never end.

This Deputy show is not terrible. I've long enjoyed Stephen Dorff as an actor so I'll watch all 7 episodes of this before it gets canceled.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Netflix believes Witcher is their Game of Thrones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They just need to show Cavill mostly naked once per season to lock in the views.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

x post from the thread

season after season after season which is exactly 3 and then cancelled

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

GreenNight posted:

Netflix believes Witcher is their Game of Thrones.

It basically is, it's a mediocre genre show that affects depth and maturity with gratuitous nudity and a jumbled-up narrative and huge production values that has become not only a ratings smash hit but had a large cultural impact online and off. Which is a shame because if they weren't trying to make it a GoT-come-lately fantasy politics simulator and made a show that was actually about monster hunting it would be a way better show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I watched the pilot for 9-1-1 Lone Star. It was alright, still over the top like 9-1-1 Vanilla, but not quite in the same way. I don't think my roommate likes it since Rob Lowe isn't Angela Bassett, which is fine by me because I'm rather indifferent to either.

I will say though neither one is a slog to watch because it's almost as if the writer's room decided to skip directly season 4 "we've run out of ideas" plots. So far, this season of 9-1-1 had a multi-part episode about a tsunami, terrible acting by reoccurring guest star Rhonda Rousey, and one of the characters nearly killing someone in an underground fighting ring.