Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Oceanbound posted:

The arena gods have seen fit to bless me with this busted deck. Thankfully I won the first match to avoid the dreaded 0-2 drop, otherwise I would bring shame to my ancestors.

https://twitter.com/pokecapn/status/1219494861189144576?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I got my rear end kicked in Diamond 1 by some deck that ran Hateful Eidolon, Kaya's Ghostform, Dead Weight and the other -/- kill auras, the red dude from TBD that recurs all your graveyard auras for one turn, etc. Anyone know what a proper decklist for that would look like? Looked super fun.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Did someone get a functional Storm Herald OTK going? That could be funny as hell.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Card says attached to creatures you control and makes sure they only recur once, so I'm wondering how that works.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

He's got haste, so you're hoping you only need to do it once.

edit - Though I guess he's describing a removal swing play, which seems...okay?

FallenGod fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 21, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Oceanbound posted:

The arena gods have seen fit to bless me with this busted deck. Thankfully I won the first match to avoid the dreaded 0-2 drop, otherwise I would bring shame to my ancestors.

daybreak chimera in the sideboard is a crime, and I'd try to play that 2 drop since any game that goes late is yours. you just want to trade and stall and gently caress around til you get there. play the 3 mana counterspell too, and the 2/3 flier that gets vig and lifelink.

I think playing some of these shitter enchantment creatures just to support archon is a mistake. don't like envoy or either nyxborn here. if you didn't have trawler or the saga it'd be a different story, but you're making your overall card quality much lower when you have an unbeatable end game.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

resistentialism posted:

Card says attached to creatures you control and makes sure they only recur once, so I'm wondering how that works.

I think storm herald is just there to draw a bunch of cards with the debuff auras and eidolon

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

For the most part I've been doing pretty poorly in sealed/drafts, but I did manage to drop a turn 5 Kiora Bests so I'll always have that memory.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'd guess so. It's literally just 2R (or whatever) draw a card for each kill aura in your yard at that point which could be quite a lot.

I really want to do something with Storm Herald, but I think like the Selesnya version, it just costs me way too many wild cards to buy into aura synergy when so many of the pre-Theros ones just... aren't as good as the Theros versions.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Nothing funnier than a flying 10/9 Vigilant Paradise Druid

Well actually firing off a sweeper is funnier

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
While everyone is posting the exact same story about having to play with or against completely unbeatable limited bombs I am having a riot jamming Monoblack devotion in standard ranked. I am destroying pretty much everything. I make cat decks cry, and I just get to hang out with my best friend Gary and have lunch with him and play video games and do all the stuff cool dudes like to do with my best friend Gerry, a rich zombie.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 21, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

While everyone is posting the exact same story about having to play with or against completely unbeatable limited bombs I am having a riot jamming Monoblack devotion in standard ranked. I am destroying pretty much everything. I make cat decks cry, and I just get to hang out with my best friend Gary and have lunch with him and play video games and do all the stuff cool dudes like to do with my best friend Gerry, a rich zombie.

What does your version look like? I've been wavering rapidly back and forth since finally crossing the iamond barrier, and whilst it's relaxing not to worry about the losses, they do keep coming.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

reprint Eldrazi Conscription

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

FallenGod posted:

Did someone get a functional Storm Herald OTK going? That could be funny as hell.

Yeah it was like, they could bring back all the auras to the Eidolon at once so it would first get +x/+x but then get -x/-x and die, drawing him a card for ever aura that was on the Eidolon, then the Eidolon comes back again from Kaya's Ghostform, so the net result was play Storm Herald and draw like 5+ cards.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Bust Rodd posted:

Every time I play with or against this deck it runs out of steam after 5-6 turns and you hear a sad kazoo noise as Gary drops onto an empty board / gets countered. Granted, I've only played the cat / oven version due to lacking wildcards for Priest, so maybe a more aggressive build that doesn't feel like a pathetic version of jund food works better.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

yeah I think the midrange version is just bad, you shouldn't have any 5-drops other than Gary, and Liliana and Bolas's Citadel are both way too expensive. You probably don't want too many 4-drops other than Nightmare Shepherd either. Maybe 2 Erebos, or that dude that does things when swamps come into play. The deck's strongest cards are all cheap, like cat and oven, or knight of the ebon legion, or midnight reaper or Ayara. Gary is just a little extra reach.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

My issue with monoblack is that I can't maintain consistent pressure. It becomes really vulnerable to counters since your main threats are knight shepherd and Gary and everything else is just sorta there. Even Cat / Oven is sorta eh without Mayhem Devil or Trail of Crumbs or Goose to feed it.

Maybe I'm just bad at piloting the deck, but I just can't get consistent wins since nothing below 4cc screams "this is a threat that needs to be dealt with or else I will lose"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yup, I cut everything 4 or above except Gary and Shepherd, and it works well, but exactly what all the 1-3 drops should be is difficult. I've been wavering between variations and none of them seem definitively better; Orzhov Enforcer gives more Ayara pings than most, so does Lazotep Reaver, but they have lower devotion, Fenlurker provides VERY strong control and with yard recursion (Omen of the Dead is very good, but usually Shepherd; I should think of some other options like maybe Blood for Bones) can hopelessly lock someone out, Ebon Legion does great work against blue control, particularly Simic Flash, but doesn't come with the cantripping effect that Foulmire does, CatOven is strong, but the recursion is annoying and doesn't contribute to devotion.

The legendary three-card combo of Ayara, Shepherd, and Gary definitely wins games, but getting it to stick can be VERY difficult. The SHepherd is probably the most valuable element IME, but equally, it's the blindingly obvious removal target.

I do wonder about putting in Ghostform for that reason; casting Shepherd with built in recursion would be excellent, ditto for Ayara and Gary, but what to drop, particularly as Ghsotform is pretty bad to draw early, even worse than Omen for me, since Omen doesn't telegraph itself the same way.

It's definitely a deck that has an incredible amount of listbuilding flexibility, and I suspect a lot of the variations come down more to personal preference than quality.

GrandpaPants posted:

My issue with monoblack is that I can't maintain consistent pressure. It becomes really vulnerable to counters since your main threats are knight shepherd and Gary and everything else is just sorta there. Even Cat / Oven is sorta eh without Mayhem Devil or Trail of Crumbs or Goose to feed it.

Maybe I'm just bad at piloting the deck, but I just can't get consistent wins since nothing below 4cc screams "this is a threat that needs to be dealt with or else I will lose"

Ayara is a huge threat at 3.

What does your 3 and below look like?

But yeah, it really does suffer against control decks (what doesn't, though?), especially if you're on the draw, because it usually means they can stick a board wipe before you can stick shepherd to counteract it.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 21, 2020

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Just played Hushbringer against mono-Black game 2 while Gutterbones ran into a 0/4 over and over again.

GrandpaPants has a good point about the deck their <3cmc creatures. I sat there healing for 1 off my flier, just holding Banishing Light until a something worth dealing with appeared. Ebon Legion can be scary but it doesn't seem to pop up in many versions.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I don't know why anyone wouldn't play Ebon Legion in a monoB deck because it's such a powerful one drop that it can make or break matchups against decks and there's nothing in the one slot that's going to compete against it except gutterbones in agro.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Worth splashing blue here for Sealed?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm not good at limited but even I probably wouldn't splash for 2-drops that fall off in value if you can't cast them on curve

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Which pro put out 1000000 variants of AllThatGlitters.deck because that is all there is suddenly

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Rhaegar posted:

Worth splashing blue here for Sealed?

You only want to splash for very powerful cards that are good anytime you draw them in limited, because you will almost always play them off curve and they hurt your manabase. I'm usually not going to splash a card unless it gives me a very high chance to win the game when I cast it, or it does something my deck desperately needs, like splashing Final Death because you have no removal or interaction.

Another way to think about it is how good are the cards compared to what I could replace them with, which in this case would be something like the sacrifice mogis and trickster or the 4/5. Your splash cards are not really much better than those so it's not a great idea to add the inconsistency when you aren't getting a huge boost in power.

It's also not that relevant here because I don't think you should splash, but if you were going to, you should also play any rare scry land that so much as touches your colors.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 22, 2020

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Thanks for the tips. I figured it wasn't worth it despite some synergy with the rest of my deck.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Kashuno posted:

Which pro put out 1000000 variants of AllThatGlitters.deck because that is all there is suddenly

Like half the new set is enchantments that work with it or otherwise rewards playing enchantments. There's a bunch of streamers doing stuff with it because it's new and powerful enough to get one over on people especially in Bo1.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Please tell me also, I want to play it. Tia

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Yeah time to maindeck some enchantment hate in bo1.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I've been playing a stupid all that glitters deck when I have a white quest since eldraine. Funny to run into mirrors today (that are slower).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

thespaceinvader posted:

Ayara is a huge threat at 3.

She's a 3cc 2/3 that does a slow drain. She has practically zero board presence and doesn't stand up to anything aggro throws at you.

Ebon Legion, Fenlurker, Tymaret, Murder Rider, Woe Strider, and Mire Triton round out the other things I've tried for the early game.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So there's a Vannifar Sultai deck that goes infinite on turn 3 or 4 depending on ramp and also kills you with grey merchant.

lol

Not even mad.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I saw Saffron Olive playing against a UW control deck that endlessly grabbed planeswalkers out of the graveyard with Elspeth Conquers Death

It was more enchantment focused and seemed a lot sturdier than the other UW builds right now, anyone know of a list for it?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

What does your version look like? I've been wavering rapidly back and forth since finally crossing the diamond barrier, and whilst it's relaxing not to worry about the losses, they do keep coming.

Deck
4 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel (THB) 99
20 Swamp (ANA) 58
3 Ayara, First of Locthwain (ELD) 75
4 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
3 Bolas's Citadel (WAR) 79
3 Tymaret, Chosen from Death (THB) 119
4 Yarok's Fenlurker (M20) 123
3 Woe Strider (THB) 123
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
3 Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA) 83
2 Eat to Extinction (THB) 90
2 Nightmare Shepherd (THB) 108
1 Witch's Cottage (ELD) 249

Sideboard
2 Legion's End (M20) 106
2 Rankle, Master of Pranks (ELD) 101
4 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
3 Agonizing Remorse (THB) 83
2 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
2 The Elderspell (WAR) 89

A Moose posted:

yeah I think the midrange version is just bad, you shouldn't have any 5-drops other than Gary, and Liliana and Bolas's Citadel are both way too expensive. You probably don't want too many 4-drops other than Nightmare Shepherd either. Maybe 2 Erebos, or that dude that does things when swamps come into play. The deck's strongest cards are all cheap, like cat and oven, or knight of the ebon legion, or midnight reaper or Ayara. Gary is just a little extra reach.

This is exactly the opposite of my experience. Gary is my main Wincon and I am slamming people all over the place from unwinnable situations. Priest, Ayara, and Woe Strider mean that untapping with Citadel means I'm guaranteed to win, and all of my engines work with Nightmare Shepherd. I'm not interested in a fast game at all, everything scales really well into the late game. I don't think this is a good Cat+Oven deck, but I'm also just sick of cat and prefer this, and I'm beating cat all day.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Ashiok vs Konrad... Konrad wins.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Funkdreamer posted:

I saw Saffron Olive playing against a UW control deck that endlessly grabbed planeswalkers out of the graveyard with Elspeth Conquers Death

It was more enchantment focused and seemed a lot sturdier than the other UW builds right now, anyone know of a list for it?

That's just the UW Control with the Archons

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sedisp posted:

So there's a Vannifar Sultai deck that goes infinite on turn 3 or 4 depending on ramp and also kills you with grey merchant.

lol

Not even mad.

What's the loop?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Arglebargle III posted:

What's the loop?

Corridor Monitor and Hyrax Tower Scout untap Vannifar, Nightmare Shepherd gives you extra bodies and untaps while fetching other stuff.

It's not actually "infinite" since you only have so many copies of each in your deck, but it's plenty to get up to a lethal Merchant.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

What's the loop?

There's a few ways to do it this was I assume the deck that did it.

https://www.streamdecker.com/deck/bBUzSzaji

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

courtesy of https://old.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/ersan7/standard_vannifar_64_damage_combo_3_cards_as/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
That's pretty great, but I'm a sucker for dumb simic combos. Speaking of which, has there been any ascension/hydra enchantment decks yet?