Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ItBreathes posted:

Others have said it, but just to reiterate because it's so very, very true: ultrabudget phones barely work and break if you even think about looking at them. Not an effective way to save money, even if it's just a grandma phone or what have you.

If you need a cheap grandma phone it's worth checking if grandma has any smartphone apps she wants to use. If not, a dumb phone with physical buttons may be a better way to go. They are easier to hold and easier to use.

I got my mom a smartphone last year and while she likes having google maps she hates using it as a phone. Like she calls a number that tells her to press 1 for this or 2 for that and by the time she's heard the greeting and the options the keypad is no longer displayed on the screen and she doesn't remember how to get it back. She liked her old flip phone better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My father would like to get a smartphone for the first time (he's interested in apps so it should probably be android or iOS). It should be fairly low end but the catch is that he can't use a touchscreen with his fingers. Are there any reasonable phones with a built-in stylus, or should we just get a regular phone and try to find a case that holds one?

e: this is in England. In terms of budget I was thinking £100-200 range.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 14, 2019

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'd just do a case that holds one, because that will be easier to replace when he inevitably loses the stylus.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

It's time to upgrade from my Pixel, which served me well. I'm located in Canada and will be leaving Bell (where I am paying about $110 for my plan monthly) for Telus because my company has an employee pricing plan through them

I tend to watch a reasonable amount of youtube and do many many very good posts on these forums on my phone. I also take a lot of low light photos and video. I generally would prefer to stay on Android but I'm not entirely opposed to an iPhone if the price is right. Since battery life is kind of important to me, I think it's time to move away from my PIxel even though I love the Google UI.

I can get a very good deal on any of the Samsung S10s and iPhone XRs right now (the regular S10 would be cheaper for me than a S9 thanks to a hefty hardware credit). Are Samsungs still Realplayer-levels of bloated messes? If not, I would probably prefer to move over to that tbh.

Edit: Maybe the S10E? I think I just need somebody to tell me if the S10 or S10E are good or not who isn't being supplied free phones by Samsung to say they're all good

I got an S10E and then I got blackout drunk in New York and my phone was stolen so I'm back on my old phone now, but I think I'm gonna buy something outright soon... But I loving hate Samsung's OneUI a lot.

Does anybody have experience with OnePlus phones?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Battery is noticeably degrading on my One+ 5T and I'm ready to upgrade. I'm in the US on ATT

Requirements:
- Android
- 6"+ screen
- excellent battery life
- Under $600
- good to very good camera
- at least popular enough that I can easily find a wallet case somewhere
- fast charging
- fingerprint reader (I don't care if it's on-screen or on the back but I need it for a HIPAA app so I don't have to type in a password every time)

Strong preferences:
- no notch or punch out. Bigger bezels are fine, or a pop-up camera.
- headphone jack
- great camera
- lightweight UI

I'm willing to import if some of those non-US-available Chinese phones are the best option.

Thank you!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Anyone good at recommending a plan here?

I'm looking for a good family plan to move to. We are on a rather good plan as my stepdad was a veteran so we are on the Sprint veteran discount plan. Anyhow, he has passed recently, and though my family is still on that plan for now as we try and find where to move to we wont be able to stay on it for too long. Two of the phones will need to be replaced soon as they are starting to function poorly, so if there is a deal that includes new phones with x year contract or whatever that will also be useful. Anyway here is what we are looking for

Android preferred
3 lines
preferably under 150 a month, the plan we were on was heavily discounted thanks my stepdads veteran status, but now as my mom is widowed, she will no longer qualify for that.
unlimited or large data cap, all three of us use our phone internet pretty constantly due to spotty wifi.

Any suggestions?

Oh and we are located in North Carolina in the USA if that changes availability of anything.....don't know if it would or not but I'm out of my depth here. Thanks for any advice.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 28, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

T-mobile has a deal right now for sign up for two lines, get one free. 3 lines unlimited (50gb 4g) plus Netflix for $120/mo.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

If your mom is similarly ageded, try t mobiles 55 / senior plan

We just switched as a family, plan details are 55 flat for unlimited everything including data, 15 for extra lines up to 1 to 2, and optional per line insurance between 7 and 15 per phone, depending on model, which covers accidental.

We had a grandfather atnt unlimited and saved a fortune. My sister will be joining us as soon as her phone is unlockable

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

my LG G4 that I did the monthly plan thing for is finally dying, want to get an unlocked phone to replace it but my budget is low, like sub $150- I'd buy on Swappa, but I really want a warranty, and I really don't know what I'm looking for besides. Ideally, this will be my phone for the next four or five years, and I don't want to end up getting a crummy budget-line Samsung/LG/Xiaomi/Huawei/whatever. Would rather end up with, like, whatever was hot in 2015-16 and can still be serviced when the battery needs replaced

don't need anything too flashy, just an android phone that's not worse than my G4, bonus points if it looks slick- I like bigger screens, thought about trying to sidegrade to an old 7" but idk if I'd end up hating it or not

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Peanut Butler posted:

my LG G4 that I did the monthly plan thing for is finally dying, want to get an unlocked phone to replace it but my budget is low, like sub $150- I'd buy on Swappa, but I really want a warranty, and I really don't know what I'm looking for besides. Ideally, this will be my phone for the next four or five years, and I don't want to end up getting a crummy budget-line Samsung/LG/Xiaomi/Huawei/whatever. Would rather end up with, like, whatever was hot in 2015-16 and can still be serviced when the battery needs replaced

don't need anything too flashy, just an android phone that's not worse than my G4, bonus points if it looks slick- I like bigger screens, thought about trying to sidegrade to an old 7" but idk if I'd end up hating it or not

LG G7 Play is probably right up your alley. You may have to compromise and go up to $200-250. That said, if you made a LG G4 last that long, its worth an extra dollar or two for a good medium phone vs a bad phone.

Alternatively : check something like Swappa for a used Pixel 2, Moto Z3, etc.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

If your mom is similarly ageded, try t mobiles 55 / senior plan

We just switched as a family, plan details are 55 flat for unlimited everything including data, 15 for extra lines up to 1 to 2, and optional per line insurance between 7 and 15 per phone, depending on model, which covers accidental.

We had a grandfather atnt unlimited and saved a fortune. My sister will be joining us as soon as her phone is unlockable

FCKGW posted:

T-mobile has a deal right now for sign up for two lines, get one free. 3 lines unlimited (50gb 4g) plus Netflix for $120/mo.

Thanks for the advice, it really helps.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

LastInLine posted:

When/if there's a 4a. The 3a came out in May.
:toot:

Guess I'll wait til Q2

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Looking for a phone for my mom. She wants very good battery life, sub-6" screen size, decent camera, under $500 (under $400 is even better). Doesn't need it to be particularly powerful. Is there Pixel 3A the way to go?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yep.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Currently using a Moto G5 and it seems to be about time to upgrade. (Latest software upgrade was February 2019.)
I'm after a phone with a little Google as possible, and obviously minimal preinstalled crapware. Features I'd like to have: Headphone jack, dual-SIM, wireless charging, uSD slot, not huge. Budget is around 500.
E: Also I'd rather not have a notch.

The Nokia 7.2 looks pretty good, and I think it checks all the boxes apart from wireless charging. Any other suggestions?

nielsm fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 13, 2020

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
My Moto X4 has been having audio issues and it's charging port is kind of hosed, so now I'm looking for a replacement. I was thinking of getting a Moto G7, or is there a better >$300 option?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The Nokia 7.2 is worth taking a look at. I went with the 7.1 over the g7, but they were both on sale for about the same price at the time.

I did have the g7 briefly before I noticed the sale. I found it to be awkardly long and of less than inspiring build quality. The speaker on it is also absolute poo poo.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Im going to spend a month in the US, soon, and Im trying to find out whats the best option for me to do. My German provider charges ~50EUR if I want to use my existing plan in the US. Is it possible to get a US SIM card significantly cheaper or I should I just go with my providers offer? I usually need ~10GB of data per month when Im travelling and I have an iPhone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you have a newer iPhone (XS/XR or 11) with e-SIM capability (and aren't using it with your regular provider), you can use the app Airalo to find plans. Looks like they have 10 GB for 30 days for $26. Otherwise finding a prepaid T-Mobile SIM is probably your best bet.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Endless Mike posted:

If you have a newer iPhone (XS/XR or 11) with e-SIM capability (and aren't using it with your regular provider), you can use the app Airalo to find plans. Looks like they have 10 GB for 30 days for $26. Otherwise finding a prepaid T-Mobile SIM is probably your best bet.

Unfortunately its just an iPhone 8. That Airalo plan would have been perfect, else. The T-Mobile SIM unfortunately isnt much cheaper than the US option in my current plan and it would be much more hassle to get.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Honj Steak posted:

Im going to spend a month in the US, soon, and I’m trying to find out what’s the best option for me to do. My German provider charges ~50EUR if I want to use my existing plan in the US. Is it possible to get a US SIM card significantly cheaper or I should I just go with my provider’s offer? I usually need ~10GB of data per month when I’m travelling and I have an iPhone.

$50 for the month to not have to worry about SIM card changes is fine; so if it gives you enough data just do that.

If it helps, half the US carriers would charge $10 A DAY for someone here to travel in Europe, so $300 for 30 days. Crazy stuff man.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My mom is talking about getting a smartphone. She's an old lady with limited computer aptitude (gets by okay with email and search, can't figure out copy/paste, makes me order things for her online). She's looking for better messaging, showing photos, and using apps to access her medical files. I'm sure she'd use the camera. Basic stuff. She used a Windows phone for a while, but went back to a dumb phone.

I doubt she'd want to spend more than $400. She's on Verizon prepaid at the moment, but has no problem switching. The smaller the better, but that's a ship that has sailed a long time ago.

I'm kinda leaning towards a Samsung A-series phone. I'm deep into Android, my sis is a Samsung gal, my mom uses Gmail and Photos (on the desktop). My plan would be to hide or lock down as much as possible, maybe throwing on a custom launcher.

I saw Verizon also had iPhone 7 and 8 models in that price range. I have the vague impression that iPhone is simpler, but zero experience. And that they last longer, which would be appreciated. Maybe getting one from Apple and their care plan. Not sure how well that would work with Photos (are there auto uploads?) or syncing her Gmail contacts.

Oh, her car does Car Play and Auto. Doubt she'd use either much, but navigation would be nice for her. Again, not sure how easy to use Car Play is (I personally get super frustrated with Auto).

I'm a little scared of getting her anything with swiping navigation. I'd consider a fingerprint unlock a high priority.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Uthor posted:

My mom is talking about getting a smartphone. She's an old lady with limited computer aptitude (gets by okay with email and search, can't figure out copy/paste, makes me order things for her online). She's looking for better messaging, showing photos, and using apps to access her medical files. I'm sure she'd use the camera. Basic stuff. She used a Windows phone for a while, but went back to a dumb phone.

I doubt she'd want to spend more than $400. She's on Verizon prepaid at the moment, but has no problem switching. The smaller the better, but that's a ship that has sailed a long time ago.

I'm kinda leaning towards a Samsung A-series phone. I'm deep into Android, my sis is a Samsung gal, my mom uses Gmail and Photos (on the desktop). My plan would be to hide or lock down as much as possible, maybe throwing on a custom launcher.

I saw Verizon also had iPhone 7 and 8 models in that price range. I have the vague impression that iPhone is simpler, but zero experience. And that they last longer, which would be appreciated. Maybe getting one from Apple and their care plan. Not sure how well that would work with Photos (are there auto uploads?) or syncing her Gmail contacts.

Oh, her car does Car Play and Auto. Doubt she'd use either much, but navigation would be nice for her. Again, not sure how easy to use Car Play is (I personally get super frustrated with Auto).

I'm a little scared of getting her anything with swiping navigation. I'd consider a fingerprint unlock a high priority.

The iPhone 8 has Touch ID still so she would still have a home button which may be easier for older folks to conceptualize than the swipe motions. The Gmail and Google Photos apps on iOS are the exact same as on Android so no issues there. Apple has also committed to a minimum 5 years of OS updates on all their phones as well so they have most Android phones beat in that capacity.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is Apple Care worth it?

(it'll be a big phone for her no matter what, plus she watches her three young grandkids)

I'm especially mad about all my batteries turning to poo poo every 18 months.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Uthor posted:

Is Apple Care worth it?

(it'll be a big phone for her no matter what, plus she watches her three young grandkids)

I'm especially mad about all my batteries turning to poo poo every 18 months.

You mentioned something small - there's refurb gen-1 iPhone SE's available on Amazon for around $150

You could just buy one of those with a case and save some money

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MorrisBae posted:

You mentioned something small - there's refurb gen-1 iPhone SE's available on Amazon for around $150

You could just buy one of those with a case and save some money

I feel like those are long in the tooth these days?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I would not buy an SE at this point. They've been discontinued for nearly 2 years, their batteries are likely shot by this point and they did not take iOS 13 very well.

Did she specifically say she wants a smaller phone? The older people in my family prefer the large phones with the icons and text set to bigger sizes so they can actually read and click the screens much easier.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

No, but she thought her Windows Phone with a like 3.5" screen was too big. I'm just extrapolating.

No matter what, she won't be able to pocket it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

No, but she thought her Windows Phone with a like 3.5" screen was too big. I'm just extrapolating.

No matter what, she won't be able to pocket it.

Agreeing with others, iPhone 8 is a good way to go.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Word, thanks.

Now to learn how to use iOS.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
So after 2.5 years, the charging port on my Pixel is finally enough of a pain in the rear end to warrant an upgrade. Honestly despite a few apps running a bit slow now and then, I have no issues and like the phone. 32 GB is also apparently plenty for me with Google backing up my photos automatically. I tend to keep my phones for 2-3 years and I like the smaller size, I'd even prefer something slightly smaller than the Pixel TBH. Price isn't really a factor but I'm looking for bang for the buck and longevity.

Is a Pixel 3 the right move? Has anyone dealt with renewed phones on Amazon? Since I plan to use it for 2+ years new probably makes sense, but I'm curious.

Fuzzie Dunlop fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 29, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

So after 2.5 years, the charging port on my Pixel is finally enough of a pain in the rear end to warrant an upgrade. Honestly despite a few apps running a bit slow now and then, I have no issues and like the phone. 32 GB is also apparently plenty for me with Google backing up my photos automatically. I tend to keep my phones for 2-3 years and I like the smaller size, I'd even prefer something slightly smaller than the Pixel TBH. Price isn't really a factor but I'm looking for bang for the buck and longevity.

Is a Pixel 3 the right move? Has anyone dealt with renewed phones on Amazon? Since I plan to use it for 2+ years new probably makes sense, but I'm curious.

At this point Im assuming you are getting a good price deal on a Pixel 3, so as long as you arent paying full retail, pixel 3 is a good buy and arguably better than the 4.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I can't seem to find a U.S. prepaid individual plan that offers better than 420p streaming. AT&T can barely stream YouTube when I'm sitting on my porch. I use on average 5GB per month. Are good speeds reserved for unlimited plans or what?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fun Times! posted:

I can't seem to find a U.S. prepaid individual plan that offers better than 420p streaming. AT&T can barely stream YouTube when I'm sitting on my porch. I use on average 5GB per month. Are good speeds reserved for unlimited plans or what?

Yeah, almost all prepaid plans dont get priority over postpaid. Not sure if you even get better streaming on unlimited prepaid.

Whats your monthly cost ?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I just managed to crack the screen on my Motorola G6, and I'm slowly looking for a replacement. Reading backwards in the thread, it seems Nokia 6.2 or 7.2 is the recommended option, is that still right?

I use it for music, podcasts, maps, browsing and games, but I don't really care for cameras, and I don't need anything fancy, except a headphone jack and preferably fingerprint reader. I prefer less bloat, but I don't mind ignoring useless apps really. If possible, wallet case support would be good.

Also I have zero clue about the differences between the various amounts of ram, what's the short version of what I need? And what's the advantage of 7.2 over 6.2?

If it makes a difference, I'm in Denmark, and I have a plan, but I'm not married to it. I do however seem to break my phone once per year...

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, almost all prepaid plans dont get priority over postpaid. Not sure if you even get better streaming on unlimited prepaid.

Whats your monthly cost ?

I've been on an AT&T family plan with my mom and brother for years and have been meaning to go solo, just haven't taken the initiative. I forget how much it is per line, but I give my mom $45 a month. I knew years ago that I'd pay more to go solo, and I'm fine with that. I just want good coverage and non-miserable streaming.

edit: Looks like to get 720p streaming on Verizon you have to do a $90/line per month unlimited plan. Can't justify that price for my usage so I guess I'll have to live with 480p streaming and throttled service. :shrug:

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 1, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fun Times! posted:

I knew years ago that I'd pay more to go solo, and I'm fine with that...

Looks like to get 720p streaming on Verizon you have to do a $90/line per month unlimited plan. Can't justify that price

I've got to admit this made me laugh out loud.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So it's time for me to get a new phone. My current phone is a Sonim XP7, which I got because I wanted a tougher phone with more battery. Unfortunately the camera sucked, the processor was laggy even when I first got it, the cell phone radio was flakey, and I'm pretty sure the GPS never actually worked.

I'm on a "corporate individual liability" with a pretty good rate (CAD$48/month for 4.5GB data).

What I want from a phone:

- Make and receive phone calls. On the rare occasions I need to do this, it needs to not lag out.
- Act as a map.
- Allow me to browse random poo poo on the web/Awful App.
- Be my main camera.
- Be waterproof and reasonably durable (happy to just toss on a Lifeproof case though).
- Be as future-proof as possible -- I try to moderate my e-waste.
- Have decent battery life.

The options available through my plan and at roughly my price point are:

Huawei P30 -- CAD$350
Samsung Galaxy S9 -- CAD$350
Google Pixel 3a XL -- CAD$200

I did also think about the Sonim XP8, which they can get for me for around the same price, but it doesn't sound like the camera/cellphone radio/gps issues have gotten better, and the battery isn't that much bigger than the LiPols in the "regular" phones.

The Samsung seems a little tougher, but the Huawei seems to have a better processor, camera and battery. Not really sure about the Pixel.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9530&idPhone2=8966&idPhone3=9408

Any thoughts or things I'm missing?

Oh, also a different provider has a similarly priced plan, but with the S9 for $0 (plus the plan) or the S10e for $270.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Well I ordered the P30. Didn't feel like messing around with changing carriers, and it has a better battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Yo, could use a rec for a new plan/carrier if anyone has any ideas:

I have an old unlocked G5 that I've no real need/interest (or cash, frankly) to upgrade any time soon, and have been using T-Mobile's $50 monthly pre-paid plan. I've had T-Mobile since I got my first phone as a teenager and they've been solid, but I realized today that I almost literally send like 20 texts a month and am on wifi functionally always, so I'm really looking to find something that'll bless me with the privilege of ignoring calls from debt collectors and give me the option of choosing to not call my parents instead of not being able to.

Basically I'm trying to find the least lovely, cheapest pre-paid plan available that'll let me send texts and make calls, and access a data connection infrequently. In the case of data I would prefer that to mean a relatively low bandwidth cap of decent speeds into throttled speeds after a point, like T-Mobile's method, but I don't know if that's even a thing anyone else does so I'd be fine with just slow poo poo to begin with if it's significantly cheaper or my only option. I'm flexible.

I live in Arizona, in Phoenix, and have mostly always been fine in terms of coverage strength, so as long as they operate on the major bands I figure anything's an option.

As for budget in a stricter sense: I guess preferably somewhere between $20-35? If it's $40+ I'd probably just stick with T-Mobile unless there's some decent perks that might be useful.