Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Giant Metal Robot posted:

If it is a PhotoCD system, I've been wondering how compatible it is with the rest of the CD standards. It has its own Rainbow Book and everything. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Books#Beige_Book_(1992)

I saw a website that was devoted to the software side of the format, and it seem to suggest that it's similar enough that most drives won't give you an issue, and it was suggested if you did run into a problem, a reboot with the disc in the drive would remedy it.

Here is an Imgur gallery. 28 pictures with commentary.
https://imgur.com/gallery/aFUfpGW I am leaning, more and more, to it being part of a kiosk system. It is very well built,and an interesting Half N Half of PC and Laptop parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Any hope of seeing what's on the disk?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Computer viking posted:

Any hope of seeing what's on the disk?

Well, after taking it apart, seems the thing doesn't have any RAM?

I don't have the means to hookup a 25 year old SCSI drive, unfortunately. and it is running IBM's AIX system
It would probably help solve some questions :(

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

I don't have the means to hookup a 25 year old SCSI drive, unfortunately. and it is running IBM's AIX system

That might be DRAM soldered down near the sockets. I didn't find anything with the part number though so I am not sure.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

sleepy gary posted:

That might be DRAM soldered down near the sockets. I didn't find anything with the part number though so I am not sure.

It's about to all go into a box and I'll mess with it later. When I get ahold of a a CRT, I'll put it all back together and see if anything happens.
Might see about getting ahold of some RAM from a Thinkpad of that era and pop it in. Or might just sell the drat thing as is!

I've had this posted on Imgur, on two Reddit groups, and no one has seen a system like this before.
Which would make sense if it isn't a system that was meant to be sold to the public.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Johnny Aztec posted:

That sticker on the hard drive says HTX not HIX which is IBM’s Hardware Text eXecutive. (A hardware diagnostics and stress test tool)

If it’s actually AIX on that drive the machine in question probably doesn’t have an intel CPU (the last version of AIX for intel CPUs was released in 1992), or the drive may have been reused from something else and the sticker just not removed.

Pop that heat sink off and see what CPU it’s got!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

GutBomb posted:

Not much to go on. The number there comes up blank

BUT

If you zoom in, you can make you tinnnny markings on the die core. Which I failed in googling anything useful from it.

The other one just says " LSFED" on it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The PhotoCD thing might be a red herring. I think the drive just has the logo on it to show it supports reading Photo CDs. I had a very early 2x SCSI drive that was covered in logos for CD, CD+G, PhotoCD, CD-DA, etc just to advertise that it could read them all.

E: That might not even be the CPU. It could be the chipset ASIC that links everything together. The smaller chip could be the CPU instead.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Jan 20, 2020

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Sweevo posted:

The PhotoCD thing might be a red herring. I think the drive just has the logo on it to show it supports reading Photo CDs. I had a very early 2x SCSI drive that was covered in logos for CD, CD+G, PhotoCD, CD-DA, etc just to advertise that it could read them all.

Hrmm, and I suppose a Photo Kiosk wouldn't be using a proprietary 2.88 MB drive from IBM.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

GutBomb posted:

That sticker on the hard drive says HTX not HIX which is IBM’s Hardware Text eXecutive. (A hardware diagnostics and stress test tool)

If it’s actually AIX on that drive the machine in question probably doesn’t have an intel CPU (the last version of AIX for intel CPUs was released in 1992), or the drive may have been reused from something else and the sticker just not removed.

It also says EUT 12 in sharpie on the mobo. Equipment Under Test. Could be some kind of unreleased prototype?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
It's just an old desktop, though the quad PCMCIA flash cards are an interesting feature.

I really wouldn't waste anytime trying to get the hardware running again: you'll need to source RAM for a start and even if it does work, the battery is going to be dead and BIOS cleared - which is going to be a real headache to reconfigure.

I would be interested in seeing if you can still read the memory cards on suitable hardware.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Shut up Meg posted:

It's just an old desktop, though the quad PCMCIA flash cards are an interesting feature.

I really wouldn't waste anytime trying to get the hardware running again: you'll need to source RAM for a start and even if it does work, the battery is going to be dead and BIOS cleared - which is going to be a real headache to reconfigure.

I would be interested in seeing if you can still read the memory cards on suitable hardware.

What the gently caress? All of that stuff is fun.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Let's discuss what the heck these symbols stand for:

Do you think this could have been part of a setup for a medical device?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue152/S6_Which_computers_use_.php

quote:

Which computers use PCMCIA cards? (Personal Computer Memory Card International Association)(includes related article on PC Cards for desktop computers) (Compute's Getting Started with PCMCIA)

Desktop Computers

There are presently no mainline desktop computers equipped with PCMCIA slots, although both external and internal add-on drives that add slots to desktops are available.

At COMDEX, IBM demonstrated a new t e of desktop computer designed to meet the standards proposed by the Energy Star Computer Program of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). "Green" or environmentally friendly computers will use substantially less power than today's hardware. Computers that power down to less than thirty watts when not in use are eligible to display the EPA's Energy Star logo.

IBM's new-generation green computer uses four PCMCIA slots as its primary expansion bus, allowing the main case of the computer to measure only 12 by 12 by 2.5 inches, with one drive bay and no fan. It's based on the power-saving 25/50 486SLC2 chip and uses a low-emission monitor.

Pricing has not been set for this innovative little desktop unit, which IBM hopes to ship in mid-1993.

PCMCIA ON THE DESKTOP

It's natural to think of the diminutive, credit-card sized PC Cards merely as devices for small, portable computers. Let me raise your PCMCIA consciousness--these babies are going to be in your desktop systems, too, and it won't take long.
Every self-respecting pundit in the industry is predicting the widespread presence of PCMCIA slots on the desktop in two to three years. Here's why:

* Quick, painless data transfer from portables. By popping the tiny PC card out of your portable and slipping it into a slot on your desktop machine, your data is easily available to your desktop at hard-disk speed. Similarly, you can load the PC Card with programs and data from the desktop at high speed.

* The savings in sharing expensive devices such as fax/data modems and network adapter cards, not to mention hard disks. Few of us use our desktop and portable simultaneously. Why have a modem in each? Buy one PC Card modem and use it in any machine.

* Lower voltage, less heat. PC Cards can run at 3.3 volts instead of the prevailing 5 volts. As a result, they generate less heat and use less electricity.

* Security. Important data can be stored on a Pcmcia-sized memory card or hard disk, which you can remove and lock up.

* Versatility. You get the benefits of internally mounted boards without opening the case to insert or remove the cards.

It's not difficult to retrofit any existing desktop unit to use PCMCIA slots with an external drive running through the parallel port, with a standard internal expansion board with its slots accessible at the rear of the computer, or with a standard disk drive bay.

These advantages add up to a probable avalanche of PCMCIA card use in the near future. IBM Personal Computer President Robert Corrigan has been quoted as saying that PCMCIA is a "1993 requirement" for IBM. "In the desktop environment, PCMCIA is going to become a critical issue. We'll support that."

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hrmm, in googling, I found a few other mentions of the same thing but no mentions at all of it past that.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Seems like that might be describing the PS/2 E. This doesn't seem to be exactly what the OP has though, the PS is too big for one thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2E
https://web.archive.org/web/20170624060741/http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/ps2book.pdf

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
This case is slightly more than 10 inches one way,and slightly less than 10 the other.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
The PCMCIA slots are a puzzler.

I'm wondering if it is some kind of data aquisition/processer terminal? Something where you capture data on a card on a laptop or video device, then plug it into this deskop to quickly transfer to the cards in the back, then more slowly process it on the internal HDD.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That's definitely a PowerPC - it doesn't even vaguely resemble any contemporary 486, but looks a whole lot like a PowerPC 601. Here's a random one from Wikipedia - notice how the model number is in the same format, and fairly close:

Edit: Maybe something in this family?

edit2: diggin around on chipDB, it looks like 601s have quadratic dies, while this is definitely square - which maybe hints at a 603?

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Jan 20, 2020

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Shut up Meg posted:

The PCMCIA slots are a puzzler.

I'm wondering if it is some kind of data aquisition/processer terminal? Something where you capture data on a card on a laptop or video device, then plug it into this deskop to quickly transfer to the cards in the back, then more slowly process it on the internal HDD.

Looks like you may be down the right path on that.

response from reddit here:

quote:

That's a really interesting find. Definately RS/6000, probably power 2 around 25-50MHZ. Probably originally had 16MB of RAM. The PC cards is weird though. I collect vintage IBM stuff, specifically RS/6000 and AIX stuff, and I've never seen anything quite like that.

It looks like it would have been either medical, maybe imaging equipment, or perhaps part of a much larger system, like a controller for one of the big IBM SP installs back in the day. It looks more consumer than enterprise though, so it's an odd duck. Like you say, the parts are more laptop than desktop, but that kind of was how things were done with IBM for either small batch stuff (like a controller for a huge system) or for very consumer-oriented systems, like a general purpose workstation. I doubt photo kiosk, simply because the timing wouldn't be right, and I definitely don't think it would have been open to the public what with the power button right there. Don't let Photo-CD throw you off track, that was just a way of storing photos on CD back then, and probably had more to do with the drive manufacturer 'showing off' than being a key component of the system build. Again, it probably came from one of IBMs consumer laptop divisions, where touting such things would probably be more important. I honestly also would have expected the CDROM to be a similar color to the front of the system, so its possible it was either replaced at one point, or it wasn't a consideration when the system was built.

I have had a couple people express interest in buying it, so I'll move the mystery on down, but I will tell them that when they figure it out, to let me know.
Gaining access to the files on the HDD (if possible) would go a long ways toward solving this, but I just don't have any way of connecting up a SCSI drive.

Johnny Aztec has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Jan 21, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Not sure what this is but here it is

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
A Photoshop is what it is.

I kind of would expect an 07 to remember Worth1000. SA used to do alot of Photoshop competitions with them.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQMd06fWkHI

This is homebrew running on a console released in 1979.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Pastry of the Year posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQMd06fWkHI

This is homebrew running on a console released in 1979.

Oh at PAX this last weekend they were selling brand new games for NES on cartridges, it was pretty amazing. Didn't play them but watched for a while, can't remember the name of the game that was pretty prominent but still, love to see that.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

Oh at PAX this last weekend they were selling brand new games for NES on cartridges, it was pretty amazing. Didn't play them but watched for a while, can't remember the name of the game that was pretty prominent but still, love to see that.

People are making amazing games for dead consoles both out of affection and a curiosity about those consoles' limits and it's really wonderful to see.

They also tend to get limited physical print runs, which gets weird, because the authors are like "I'm not going to sell the ROM until [x condition is met]." Which is fair, because maybe they want a taste of honey for their work, but it's also sort of unrealistic as to people still using their dead systems and hungry for a fresh cartridge.

anyway, people are bonkers and the Intellivision was the first true 16-bit system (look it up) and no further questions unless that question is "do you want to play Biplanes in Triple Action"

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
PCMCIA stands for:

Personal
Computer
Memory
Card
International
Association

or

People
Can't
Memorize
Computer
Industry
Acronyms

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What if there really was a PCMCIA VHS player.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There was some weird tape backup solution that used VHS tapes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I imagine it would be real media over 1998 internet resolution. Can't imagine much had the memory to buffer video as the tape played it

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

TotalLossBrain posted:

There was some weird tape backup solution that used VHS tapes.

You mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUS0Zv2APjU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, had this info pop up:

"hey an update for you, i can find nothing at all about that box in the IBM records, ive sent off the photo to someone who makes custom units, he seems to think this was a photostore 'Disk to print' box where a user would bring in images on digital media but the mobo is confusing as that board is also used in server devices. If i get any info ill let you know, otherwise its likely a small batch run for a store." "

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
You've got a very interesting evolutionary dead end - like a fossil from the Galapagos Islands of a bird with 2 beaks.

I've never even seen/heard of a desktop with PCMCIA slots and this has 4.

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, had this info pop up:

"hey an update for you, i can find nothing at all about that box in the IBM records, ive sent off the photo to someone who makes custom units, he seems to think this was a photostore 'Disk to print' box where a user would bring in images on digital media but the mobo is confusing as that board is also used in server devices. If i get any info ill let you know, otherwise its likely a small batch run for a store." "

Unless they know something specific, that doesn't ring true to me for a handful of reasons:

Why the double slot on the front? They would never need to read two cards simultaneously.
Whey the slots on the back? Can't be practically accessed
What users? Who had digital cameras at that time?
The first mass-market digital camera with a card slot was the Kodak DC50 and that came out in 1996. Even then, the number of people that used them was miniscule.

E:

Sony Snaplab
First introduced by Sony in 2006, the Snaplab was the first affordable yet professional stand-alone photo printing kiosk. With its large touchscreen and quick printing times, the Sony UPCR10L SnapLab was very user friendly. It had a built in media reader that accepted several types of memory cards, came with built-in templates and would even track orders for commercial applications

Kodak Picture Maker (not sure if that is the earliest model
The first Kiosk, named the Kodak Picture Maker was introduced in the late 1990s, followed by second, third (G3) and fourth generation (G4) picture kiosks

Shut up Meg has a new favorite as of 10:21 on Jan 22, 2020

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shut up Meg posted:

Kodak Picture Maker (not sure if that is the earliest model
The first Kiosk, named the Kodak Picture Maker was introduced in the late 1990s, followed by second, third (G3) and fourth generation (G4) picture kiosks

hah the drug store near me has one of these, theres always somebody in front of it, its a workhorse

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

bring back old gbs posted:

hah the drug store near me has one of these, theres always somebody in front of it, its a workhorse

Same. There is a small, weird, but dedicated market for these.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Computer viking posted:

That's definitely a PowerPC - it doesn't even vaguely resemble any contemporary 486, but looks a whole lot like a PowerPC 601. Here's a random one from Wikipedia - notice how the model number is in the same format, and fairly close:

Edit: Maybe something in this family?

edit2: diggin around on chipDB, it looks like 601s have quadratic dies, while this is definitely square - which maybe hints at a 603?

I know I'm kramering right into this, but this joggled loose a memory, perhaps it's a Mac Clone, since they were around during the era of the PPC Macs.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Queen Combat posted:

Same. There is a small, weird, but dedicated market for these.

In my experience (8+ years doing mini lab field service) it's people printing out their homegrown porn, and then deciding they don't want to pay $40 for a handful of 8x10s.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
How else do people get prints of their photos? That’s how I get family photos printed out for the album/letters, so if there’s a better way...

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Iron Crowned posted:

I know I'm kramering right into this, but this joggled loose a memory, perhaps it's a Mac Clone, since they were around during the era of the PPC Macs.

IBM never made Mac Clones, however they did make PReP/CHRP ppc desktops for a while.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

blugu64 posted:

How else do people get prints of their photos? That’s how I get family photos printed out for the album/letters, so if there’s a better way...

We don't own a photo printer either. When daycare needs photos for something, we pay a pittance to print out a few at the kiosk down the street. I'll be sad if they go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

blugu64 posted:

i use the walgreens app and just order prints online and pick them up