Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There isn't, hope that helps and shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I haven't see any of the takes or videos but if we assume there is any truth to the idea that you couldn't make "Blazing Saddles" today I imagine its because it would be far too risky and subversive for a major studio to greenlight.

Maybe you should, I dunno, actually watch Calico Heart's video. It's actually quite short* and very good!

*For a video in this thread

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

inglorious bastards and django unchained came out recently and do the same poo poo

the only reason people whine about Mel Brooks films not being around anymore is because Mel Brooks is 200 years old and constant gag films are too risky for big budget studios on people who they can't guarantee their 600+ gags per film will be funny to a mass audience

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Every time a white person who loves saying the n-word passes away, Quentin Tarantino picks up the slack for them. That's the circle of life.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

sorry to bother you came out very recently and is extremely comparable to blazing saddles aside from the genre parody aspects

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Dragonatrix posted:

Maybe you should, I dunno, actually watch Calico Heart's video. It's actually quite short* and very good!

*For a video in this thread

I'm watching it and its very watchable, I'm not sure if its going to address the thought process I have in mind though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thats not the videos fault

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
I didn't say so, although it's weird to say it's not the video's fault when someone explicitly suggested it in response to my post presumably as commentary or as an answer to the content of that post. You're in the wrong there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

shut the gently caress up idiot

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm gonna kick your rear end for talking to me

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

ay gently caress you

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Anyways, I've finished watching the video and I gave it a like and subscribed. Good job Calico Heart hope you eventually set up that patreon and live the dream.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Sibyl Disobedience posted:

This is a really huge thematic element, and it definitely extends outside of Bloodborne.

I know that this is from a few pages back, but earlier today I started thinking about FromSoft's VR game Déraciné and realized that it also deals with this theme as well!

I'm now really curious to look back at Miyazaki's output in another ten years to see what the grand unified theory of his work will be.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"Women are fuckin metal"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

watho posted:

anime is good

:hmmyes:

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Jamie Faith posted:

Sorry for bringing up Movie Bob again,

Yo fool, Raenir is gonna run crying to twitter again that were making fun of their favorite eugenicist.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Acute Grill posted:

Yo fool, Raenir is gonna run crying to twitter again that were making fun of their favorite eugenicist.

I see them all the time in Bob's replies on twitter and I always bite my tongue lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Referring to the states with the most gay married couples and the most black people as 'an ocean of cross-burning gay beaters' is actively horrific and monstrous, holy poo poo.

Also to bring us off moviebob chat, Defunctland's most recent video is really good. Starts with an explanation of the office work environment in the Snow White era of disney, funny asides about the Snow White wrap party, sharp left turn into Walt's fullthroated attempts to Destroy The Communists.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Endorph posted:

Referring to the states with the most gay married couples and the most black people as 'an ocean of cross-burning gay beaters' is actively horrific and monstrous, holy poo poo.

Also to bring us off moviebob chat, Defunctland's most recent video is really good. Starts with an explanation of the office work environment in the Snow White era of disney, funny asides about the Snow White wrap party, sharp left turn into Walt's fullthroated attempts to Destroy The Communists.

I kinda want to see Defunctland take critical eye to Disney+'s The Imagineering Story. Because while it's remarkably self-reflextive for Disney, it's still Disney talking about Disney so you're not going to get the whole hard truth. It's a really great documentary series on its own, no doubt, but you can still kind of tell where they're holding poo poo back that's unfit for public consumption, especially in regards to Walt.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like the most damning thing about that show is that despite all the access Disney would have on each of those rides, such as being able to interview people and unreleased archival footage, it manages to be less interesting and informative tham a Defunctland episode.

It's still a fun watch, like finding out that the guy who designed Matterhorn self taught himself trig for it, but it never goes as in-depth as I'd like.

Nowhere near as bad as One Day At Disney though, which is an hour of Disney employees telling you how great working at Disney is in a documentary created by Disney for consumption on the Disney streaming service.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Clerical Terrors posted:

Quarterting does Le epic soyface

Wasn't the original plan for Watchmen to only have one season and HBO decided to honor the showrunner's wishes?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

For the first time in Watchmen history the creator's wishes were actually honored

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vichan posted:

Wasn't the original plan for Watchmen to only have one season and HBO decided to honor the showrunner's wishes?

Yeah Lindelof has been saying for a while that he had no real plans to do S2.

It is October 21. The AVClub posted:

[Lindelof] also confirms that, should HBO decide to renew Watchmen for a second season, he probably won’t be heading it up. “[It’s] not my story, right? I appropriated it,” he says. “And so the idea that someone else could come along and do another season of Watchmen, that’s really exciting to me, too. I would watch the gently caress out of that. These nine episodes are sort of everything that I have to say at this point about Watchmen, and then we’ll kind of go from there.”

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
SNESDrunk did a rundown of a handful of obscure games that are at least decent, often in weird places, that you might never have heard of. Captain Blood sounds crazy nuts ambitious for a 1988 game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re4LscGAow8&hd=1

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Captain Invictus posted:

SNESDrunk did a rundown of a handful of obscure games that are at least decent, often in weird places, that you might never have heard of. Captain Blood sounds crazy nuts ambitious for a 1988 game.

It's a loving travesty that grounded story-heavy TRPGs never really took off.

I've heard about Ogre Battle 64 and it looks good, I might have to check it out!

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Vichan posted:

I've heard about Ogre Battle 64 and it looks good, I might have to check it out!

Ogre Battle 64 not getting a DS remake/sequel is one of the biggest disappointments for me in gaming.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Vonnie posted:

Ogre Battle 64 not getting a DS remake/sequel is one of the biggest disappointments for me in gaming.

Holy poo poo this. Just fix up the alignment management problems and it'd be perfect.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Vichan posted:

True Alphas don't consider facts, they make them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got ogre battle 64 used at a gamestop and then when I went to play it my nintendo 64 didn't work and then I sold ogre battle 64

that's my ogre battle 64 story

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Huh nice. Kinda tempted to try that 3DO JRPG but would definitely try Ogre Battle 64.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vichan posted:

It's available on the WiiU eShop. But, yeah, you'd need to actually own a WiiU to play it that way :v:.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

uhhhh Street Fighter 2 is pretty well known dude

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Good point keep talkin posted:

uhhhh Street Fighter 2 is pretty well known dude

In the first one he covers Doom II on GBA - his point wasn't that the games aren't known, it's that the platforms they end up on are surprising to some. He specifically says in the video that peoples minds were blown when he first mentioned it was on the SNES!

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Captain Invictus posted:

Captain Blood is good fun and its a shame its language based gameplay wasn't carried over to its two sequels, or to any other game really. Commander Blood and its French language only sequel Big Bug Bang are fairly standard FMV adventure games. And by standard I mean in gameplay because as far as visuals they are nuts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rlpc0-EmBM

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

nooooo!!!! aaaaargh!!!!! i’ve been hoisted by my own petard

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

I know that this is from a few pages back, but earlier today I started thinking about FromSoft's VR game Déraciné and realized that it also deals with this theme as well!

I'm now really curious to look back at Miyazaki's output in another ten years to see what the grand unified theory of his work will be.

I'm not saying that literally everything in his work is directly related to Buddhist theology, but any analysis piece about his oeuvre that doesn't at least mention the Buddhist influence is significantly incomplete. Even Armored Core goes there with characters like Sadhana.

Also, he's a gigantic Berserk fanboy. Always has been, always will be.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
It's so interesting seeing so many things influenced by Beserk these days (or just that aesthetic via influence of Dark Souls) and then you look up what the creator of that is into and for the past decade or so it's like...Idolmaster.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
A pretty interesting interview with a black girl who grew up in Rural Japan. This channel is pretty interesting if you're interested in Japanese culture from the perspective of a Japanese person. As I'm planning on moving to Japan, these kinds of channels are always interesting to watch for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbSOHM8vSV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx9tW4ZEyi8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhyjkUqnCKc

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah Lindelof has been saying for a while that he had no real plans to do S2.

yeah. it had its flaws but it ends on a relatively solid not. though i would have ended it on her deciding whether to eat the egg or not

Roth posted:

I feel like the most damning thing about that show is that despite all the access Disney would have on each of those rides, such as being able to interview people and unreleased archival footage, it manages to be less interesting and informative tham a Defunctland episode.

It's still a fun watch, like finding out that the guy who designed Matterhorn self taught himself trig for it, but it never goes as in-depth as I'd like.

Nowhere near as bad as One Day At Disney though, which is an hour of Disney employees telling you how great working at Disney is in a documentary created by Disney for consumption on the Disney streaming service.

i feel like alot of the ride history stuff gets old after awhile. i watched a bunch of defunctland and others on different rides and they kinda all sound the same after awhile. interesting stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tesseraction posted:

inglorious bastards and django unchained came out recently and do the same poo poo

the only reason people whine about Mel Brooks films not being around anymore is because Mel Brooks is 200 years old and constant gag films are too risky for big budget studios on people who they can't guarantee their 600+ gags per film will be funny to a mass audience

Well Jojo Rabbit just came out, which Brooks himself came out and said was great. So even then, there's still movies in that vein coming out.