Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

good game. bullseye navoir was the fastest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNMS5G1lyZc
the dual engine thing was cool, as was repairing, as was having to boost but the boosts being perilous to the health of your craft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ebe endecott motherfucker

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Neva Kee!

PC and N64 are basically different games, since you can boost AND turn in PC.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Hell yeah this game ruled. On N64 you could go backwards on some of the maps and the maps partially unloaded or something and you could fall into oblivion a lot.

ITS A NEW LAP RECORD

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I played sebulba because it allowed me to set others on fire

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ody mandrel ftw

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ItBreathes posted:

Neva Kee!

what, goddamn anti-console bias

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i tried corrupting it and it sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ga-ROAR!!!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Roth posted:

Ga-ROAR!!!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I played the arcade version of this a few years ago, it's absolutely rad even if I'm bad at it.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

NO money, NO parts, NO DEAL...

I had the Mac port; between that and Descent 3, Christmas 1999 was loving amazing. To this day, I am still ashamed to admit that I never beat that last track on Ord Mantell, that would have allowed me to run all tracks backwards :(

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I played the hell out of this game when I was 5. My favorite character was Mars Guo, because he had the biggest pod racer which obviously meant it was superior to all the others. My other favorite character was Navior, because he had the smallest pod racer which meant it was more agile and thus superior to all the others.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
unironically one of my favorite racing games ever lol

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Hey gently caress you pal

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

that guys name is ben i bet obiwan named himself ben after him

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I played the crap out of this as a kid since I read that you could get the best racer Sebulba if you beat it and flamethrower other racers. Never got too far through the planets. Also never realized that you're never beside other racers anyway so the whole draw was all ten flavors of pointless. I still had a blast. I ought to dig it back up and see if a couple decades (lol) of additional experience will do anything or if my slowed reflexes will doom me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
this game ruled. i bought it in a bargain bin at a blockbuster fully expecting it to suck but i played the hell out of it. Neva Kee was good but made the game too easy.

the best was putting in the cheat code to use dual N64 controllers to steer

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

Neva Kee!

i didnt know that, crazy

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I rewatched ep 1 with some friends and it’s weird knowing everything about the throwaway characters introduced at the start of the podrace.

That one map on not-bespin where you had to stay on the top part was so loving hard.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Roth posted:

Ga-ROAR!!!
:agreed:

Also check out the extended introduction of the pod racers where they show Ratts Tyerell's whole family is there to watch him blow up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCDCWyDrLEU&t=105s

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Kaysette posted:

I rewatched ep 1 with some friends and it’s weird knowing everything about the throwaway characters introduced at the start of the podrace.

That one map on not-bespin where you had to stay on the top part was so loving hard.

Oh dude, gently caress that map

Blasting around the incredibly short spice mine track in <1min for three laps with end-game racers was mad fun.

Also n-thing the Neva Kee love. Solid pod design instead of that sparkly purple poo poo. Ben Quadinaros could learn a thing or two.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The sequel to Pod Racer, is on PlayStation 3 & 4, but it's a terrible port with a bad frame rate. https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-NPUD20268_00-0000000000000000?smcid=ps%3Ashop-now%3Aps-psn%3Aplaystation-store

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP1082-CUSA03474_00-SLUS202680000001

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 22, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kaysette posted:

Oh god I forgot about that map, probably deliberately because it was so hard

I played this game so much on pc

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

As someone who's made way too many Racer videos recently, I can confirm it's still an amazing game, even with its graphics and controls

Watching people who know how to play is about as good as watching the race in the film

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i would always race as Gasgano and even had a Gasgano action figure

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i just looked it up and apparently they sold toy versions of the pods as well woah

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah i got it, hella disappointing

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I played this on my mom's green-blue iMac G3 and the N64 at the orthodontist's. The former was by far the better version. I also played exclusively as Mars Guo for the exact same reasons as that other guy. Funnily enough, I think Pod Racer might have been the only game whose sequence-breaking glitches I ever discovered and used. I remember one of the later sky maps in particular, there was a certain wall you could scrape against, clip through and fall onto a far later section of the course.

I should try the GOG version sometime...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mordja posted:

I should try the GOG version sometime...

It's very smooth and a fine addition to one's game collection

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

People are doing organized races of it these days.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
I think the environment texures in the game had a motion blur effect applied to them so as to make the game seem even faster than it was.

Also, Watto singing the cantina band song in the game menu never got old.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

elf help book posted:

i just looked it up and apparently they sold toy versions of the pods as well woah

thats cool, i was hella poor so i made mine out of like tin foil and cardboard lol

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dave Syndrome posted:

I think the environment texures in the game had a motion blur effect applied to them so as to make the game seem even faster than it was.

Also, Watto singing the cantina band song in the game menu never got old.

It's also really hard to go back to the beginning top speed after having it maxed, because everything feels like it's going in slow motion, yet it's also sometimes the only way to have a challenge, because it's fully possible to completely lap everyone on short tracks

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
now this

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
is PODRACING

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Fun fact, you can never actually hit top speed, it keeps increasing forever at a logarithmic rate. So if you ever stop accerating at any point you'll never be able to go as fast as you would have if you hadn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's a new lap record!!!