Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

given aloy's character the actual immersion breaking would be to stick to the trails and avoid the wilderness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

rydiafan posted:

I've been playing Horizon: Zero Dawn, and something that has been dragging it down I have a feeling is going to drag down every game that isn't The Witcher 3 for me, because it was such a great quality of life detail in that game. In Witcher 3 you can hold down the run button while on your mount and the mount would follow a trail/road if you were on one. So even if it was winding up and down and left and right you wouldn't have to worry about manually making those turns. It's such a pain in the rear end in these other games when you're on your horse to have to constantly be following these little mountain paths. and because it's such a pain in the rear end I usually end up either fast traveling or just cutting straight across the countryside, both of which kind of ruin the immersion.

Actually you can, I think it's just not holding a direction. I'm not sure how well it works in comparison, but it's there.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Constantinople from AC Revelations is another one. Where Rome from the previous game had the city, its landmarks, and the surrounding countryside; Constantinople was one large district, few points of interest, and no horse. Nothing happens there of consequence and Ezio has no real stake in what goes on there.

Well that's disappointing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Constantinople still had a bunch of cool landmarks, especially compared the boring colonial poo poo holes of AC3.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

rydiafan posted:

I've been playing Horizon: Zero Dawn, and something that has been dragging it down I have a feeling is going to drag down every game that isn't The Witcher 3 for me, because it was such a great quality of life detail in that game. In Witcher 3 you can hold down the run button while on your mount and the mount would follow a trail/road if you were on one. So even if it was winding up and down and left and right you wouldn't have to worry about manually making those turns. It's such a pain in the rear end in these other games when you're on your horse to have to constantly be following these little mountain paths. and because it's such a pain in the rear end I usually end up either fast traveling or just cutting straight across the countryside, both of which kind of ruin the immersion.

AC: Odyssey has a similar thing where you could just hit X and your horse would follow the road to your highlighted objective.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I never liked Vice City's map because it's:
1) Very flat
2) Basically just two narrow islands and few bridges

Obviously there's hardware restrictions etc. but I wasn't a big fan even when it was new.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Red Dead Redemptions map was very pretty and very devoid of anything of substance to do. Then you got to Mexico, which was another big boring map (though with a cool intro)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

rydiafan posted:

But the robots you ride in HZD will follow the the path you're on.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Actually you can, I think it's just not holding a direction. I'm not sure how well it works in comparison, but it's there.

Alhazred posted:

But the robots you ride in HZD will follow the the path you're on.

Hmmm...I must be doing something wrong, then. Good to hear, at least.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

If I'm not mistaken then Aloy wii also follow the path if you press the run button.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

From my memory they're better at in than the horses in Zelda which sometimes would just randomly veer off the path into a wall

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

From my memory they're better at in than the horses in Zelda which sometimes would just randomly veer off the path into a wall

That seems like the horse AI was pretty accurate though.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
There was some Soulsborne discussion a few pages back that managed not to derail the thread, but there was one complaint that didn't really get addressed: Way of White Covenant, specifically that new players should join it.

While I understand the complaint - One of the character classes (Cleric) already starts off as a member, and the NPC who lets you join the Covenant is in the first area after the tutorial area and he won't let you do anything beyond idle chit-chat until you DO join the Covenant. Think about it - you talk to this guy and he goes "oh Miracles? You want those? But first a covenant with the gods..." Why would you NOT say yes, knowing nothing about the game anyway? Here's a guy about to give you miracles! What I'm saying is: if you know absolutely nothing about the game - it comes as close as the game ever comes to hand holding you into joining it. Tho I freely admit the game's reputation as "REALLY HARD OMG" precedes it (a little too much), so that even for the most mundane thing (like opening a DOOR), new players will sometimes be all "omg should I do it?!? I'm afraid of what might happen!!", when really - the worst thing that EVER happens is just dying, and even that is basically a non-issue after the first few times.

I wasn't even aware that it somehow wards off invasions until the OP mentioned it in this thread. Does it? I just thought it boosted miracles or something. Since only 3 or so of the original covenants worked correctly, those are the ones I have stuck with. The Remaster does fix the Gravelord covenant so I will sometimes join that one as well.

Agreeing earlier with whoever said Invasions are kind of a non-issue. Even in OG Dark Souls, when you could get invaded by super twinked out builds, as soon as you die to an invader, you have a free half hour timer before you can get invaded again, unless you deliberately choose to reset that timer via an item. Even less of an issue now because of the matchmaking no longer being solely based on what level you are. So at least now you might have SOME chance of winning if you just fight the invader. Just think of it like a miniboss. If you lose, you are in the clear for a while afterwards and if you win - then why is it a problem? It's not a constant barrage of invasions and never was - since 1 every 30 minutes (assuming you lose) is hardly "constant". Even 1/30 minutes is an overestimate, since there are only a few real hotspots for PvP in the game anyway, and none of those are areas you are going to spend a ton of time in. And I say this as an OG Super HATER of invasions back in the day. I used to whine "just let me play the game, man!" but that's exactly what an invader is doing as well. If you don't want to fight them - then run back to somewhere your Souls will be easy to retrieve and let them kill you. Hardly a blip and a Humanity is the only thing lost.

And as kind of pointed out: the game does have a pause: Menu -> Quit. You lose literally nothing for doing this and will spawn back into the game in the exact same spot as when you left. Yes - you can't do it during a boss fight - but a core mechanic of the series- and in fact the mechanic it does better than pretty much any other game/series- is weighing risk vs. reward. Are you really prepared to fight this boss? I understand that interruptions happen: phone calls, kids, etc., But the penalty for dying in a boss fight is even LESS than dying out in the world, because most boss arenas can simply be sprinted to without fighting a single enemy, and it's not hard to keep an eye on where the boss is for 10 seconds while you grab your Souls back, as opposed to trying to fight or merely keep an eye on several enemies while you grab them.

Very strange to characterize it as laziness on the part of From for not putting it in, because it basically violates a core mechanic of the entire series. It's not lazy - it's a conscious decision. Plus you never hear this complaint about something like Destiny 2. Either find a safe place to stand and set your controller down or log out. That's how online games work. "But I'm playing offline!" you say. I guess D2 skirts around that issue by not having an offline mode. Offline mode in Souls is a concession - not a central mechanic. It lets people with slow connections or no connection still enjoy the game, but make no mistake - the game is meant to be played online - so many mechanics are tied directly to it: covenants, invasions, co-op, messages, player ghosts, miracle resonance rings, viewing blood stains to see how other people died, etc. that you are missing out on a lot by playing offline.

But in the end, it may just be that Soulsborne games are not your cup of tea - and that's fine too. But expecting a game that literally spawned an entirely new genre of games to cater specifically to some need you have because you happen to have kids or important phone calls and can't get a dedicated 10-15 minutes of gaming time to try a boss fight seems like an odd complaint.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Alhazred posted:

That seems like the horse AI was pretty accurate though.

The first Red Dead Redemption has the best stupid horse AI. Fond memories of shooting a vulture for a hunting challenge and watching my horse, startled by the gunshot, charge directly in front of an oncoming train and vanish in an enormous cloud of red mist.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

HaB posted:

There was some Soulsborne discussion a few pages back that managed not to derail the thread, but there was one complaint that didn't really get addressed: Way of White Covenant, specifically that new players should join it.

While I understand the complaint - One of the character classes (Cleric) already starts off as a member, and the NPC who lets you join the Covenant is in the first area after the tutorial area and he won't let you do anything beyond idle chit-chat until you DO join the Covenant. Think about it - you talk to this guy and he goes "oh Miracles? You want those? But first a covenant with the gods..." Why would you NOT say yes, knowing nothing about the game anyway? Here's a guy about to give you miracles! What I'm saying is: if you know absolutely nothing about the game - it comes as close as the game ever comes to hand holding you into joining it. Tho I freely admit the game's reputation as "REALLY HARD OMG" precedes it (a little too much), so that even for the most mundane thing (like opening a DOOR), new players will sometimes be all "omg should I do it?!? I'm afraid of what might happen!!", when really - the worst thing that EVER happens is just dying, and even that is basically a non-issue after the first few times.

I wasn't even aware that it somehow wards off invasions until the OP mentioned it in this thread. Does it? I just thought it boosted miracles or something. Since only 3 or so of the original covenants worked correctly, those are the ones I have stuck with. The Remaster does fix the Gravelord covenant so I will sometimes join that one as well.

Agreeing earlier with whoever said Invasions are kind of a non-issue. Even in OG Dark Souls, when you could get invaded by super twinked out builds, as soon as you die to an invader, you have a free half hour timer before you can get invaded again, unless you deliberately choose to reset that timer via an item. Even less of an issue now because of the matchmaking no longer being solely based on what level you are. So at least now you might have SOME chance of winning if you just fight the invader. Just think of it like a miniboss. If you lose, you are in the clear for a while afterwards and if you win - then why is it a problem? It's not a constant barrage of invasions and never was - since 1 every 30 minutes (assuming you lose) is hardly "constant". Even 1/30 minutes is an overestimate, since there are only a few real hotspots for PvP in the game anyway, and none of those are areas you are going to spend a ton of time in. And I say this as an OG Super HATER of invasions back in the day. I used to whine "just let me play the game, man!" but that's exactly what an invader is doing as well. If you don't want to fight them - then run back to somewhere your Souls will be easy to retrieve and let them kill you. Hardly a blip and a Humanity is the only thing lost.

And as kind of pointed out: the game does have a pause: Menu -> Quit. You lose literally nothing for doing this and will spawn back into the game in the exact same spot as when you left. Yes - you can't do it during a boss fight - but a core mechanic of the series- and in fact the mechanic it does better than pretty much any other game/series- is weighing risk vs. reward. Are you really prepared to fight this boss? I understand that interruptions happen: phone calls, kids, etc., But the penalty for dying in a boss fight is even LESS than dying out in the world, because most boss arenas can simply be sprinted to without fighting a single enemy, and it's not hard to keep an eye on where the boss is for 10 seconds while you grab your Souls back, as opposed to trying to fight or merely keep an eye on several enemies while you grab them.

Very strange to characterize it as laziness on the part of From for not putting it in, because it basically violates a core mechanic of the entire series. It's not lazy - it's a conscious decision. Plus you never hear this complaint about something like Destiny 2. Either find a safe place to stand and set your controller down or log out. That's how online games work. "But I'm playing offline!" you say. I guess D2 skirts around that issue by not having an offline mode. Offline mode in Souls is a concession - not a central mechanic. It lets people with slow connections or no connection still enjoy the game, but make no mistake - the game is meant to be played online - so many mechanics are tied directly to it: covenants, invasions, co-op, messages, player ghosts, miracle resonance rings, viewing blood stains to see how other people died, etc. that you are missing out on a lot by playing offline.

But in the end, it may just be that Soulsborne games are not your cup of tea - and that's fine too. But expecting a game that literally spawned an entirely new genre of games to cater specifically to some need you have because you happen to have kids or important phone calls and can't get a dedicated 10-15 minutes of gaming time to try a boss fight seems like an odd complaint.

Great. Except it sucks for the player and removes absolutely nothing from the game to allow you to pause. Oh no, you can't be invaded or whatever. Just don't invade people who are paused. Don't let people who are being invaded (or even about to be invaded) pause. Don't punish me because real life interrupted me while I was fighting a tough boss.

You know what other games had invasions? Watch Dogs 2. You know what games let you pause? Watch Dogs 2. It wasn't some stupid 'risk vs reward' or whatever, it let you because it wasn't an rear end about it.

You are right though, this is a design choice on From's part, and it's a bad one.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If I may offer something else, no monster in Dark Souls fights like a player, not even the black phantoms. Players are usually faster, more unpredictable and, especially because of frequent lag issues, essentially have to be fought with a different set of behaviors from the rest of the game. Suddenly having what feels like a different game mode loaded in at someone else's behest can be frustrating and stressful.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HaB posted:

There was some Soulsborne discussion a few pages back that managed not to derail the thread,

and that won't stand, damnit! :words:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I still can't believe there are games in TYOOL 2020 that, upon your death, boot you to the title screen.

Just give me a checkpoint, return me to town, whatever game, don't be dumb like this.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Red Dead Redemption 2:

Something about the gunplay in this game just seems really unsatisfying. I played through the entire game and never once felt like I was getting any better at it. Dead Eye is basically a free "I Win" button (except in one spot in the game where it does nothing at all). Shooting enemies from a moving horse is somewhat of a crapshoot. Do I have to lead the target? Well I did on the last guy I shot, but this one is the same distance and I just have to point and shoot. There's like six ammo types per gun that all determine how much damage you do and how fast the bullet moves, but after like the second mission there's no point to use anything but the best ammo because it's so cheap.

And re: horse travel chat: You can hold V while on a horse on a road and it'll enter "cinematic mode" and the horse will follow the path to your waypoint / the mission waypoint, which is kind of handy other than the Rockstar "cinematic" camera angles you're treated to during the ride. But the game has random events that happen everywhere just off the road, and if you hear one during autoride you have to press V again to get out of it, then slow your horse down (and the PC controls are not good), then actually find and react to it. Given that about half of these are ambushes, this is way too many steps.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Morpheus posted:

Great. Except it sucks for the player and removes absolutely nothing from the game to allow you to pause. Oh no, you can't be invaded or whatever. Just don't invade people who are paused. Don't let people who are being invaded (or even about to be invaded) pause. Don't punish me because real life interrupted me while I was fighting a tough boss.

You know what other games had invasions? Watch Dogs 2. You know what games let you pause? Watch Dogs 2. It wasn't some stupid 'risk vs reward' or whatever, it let you because it wasn't an rear end about it.

You are right though, this is a design choice on From's part, and it's a bad one.

Dark souls does something that almost no other triple AAA franchise does, which is discipline itself, holds itself to a high standard and demands your attention in a way almost no other game does. They do a lot to emphasize that and I love them to pieces for it, but there's always going to be people that it just doesn't click with and will scream and whine and bitch.

The guy who started this entire discussion days ago already gave up on the entire franchise and moved on btw.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

JackSplater posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2:

Something about the gunplay in this game just seems really unsatisfying. I played through the entire game and never once felt like I was getting any better at it. Dead Eye is basically a free "I Win" button (except in one spot in the game where it does nothing at all). Shooting enemies from a moving horse is somewhat of a crapshoot. Do I have to lead the target? Well I did on the last guy I shot, but this one is the same distance and I just have to point and shoot. There's like six ammo types per gun that all determine how much damage you do and how fast the bullet moves, but after like the second mission there's no point to use anything but the best ammo because it's so cheap.

Once you get the ability to mark enemies with Dead Eye nothing really changes for the rest of the game. Combat in RDR2 basically comes down to popping Dead Eye, putting an X on the head of everyone you can see and instakilling them all at once, then taking some chewing tobacco to refill your meter if it runs out and there are more enemies. All the guns feel the same to the point that you stop caring about things like whether you're holding a rifle or pistol since the combat is going to be functionally identical either way. Enemies never even get helmets or anything to change up the combat the slightest bit.

The thing dragging RDR2 down for me was the whole game feeling weirdly soulless even though it's technically well put together. Arthur's storyline was compelling enough even if it was a bit bleak, but I was still consciously pushing myself to get through the game because I'd spent money on it rather than on account actually enjoying it much. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why but I think with an undertaking as massive as creating a game on this scale with a company as large as Rockstar, it feels like it was produced by thousands of people who were all doing their jobs to make a new RDR game but didn't really have any passion for what they were doing like you might find in a smaller studio. After completing the main story and epilogue I was just happy I wouldn't have to play it anymore.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Olaf The Stout posted:

Dark souls does something that almost no other triple AAA franchise does, which is discipline itself, holds itself to a high standard and demands your attention in a way almost no other game does. They do a lot to emphasize that and I love them to pieces for it, but there's always going to be people that it just doesn't click with and will scream and whine and bitch.

The guy who started this entire discussion days ago already gave up on the entire franchise and moved on btw.

Dark souls is one of those things where the fanbase/ anti fanbase can be pretty insufferable. I like the game but get why people don't. It does some things brilliantly but is damned unforgiving and not being able to pause can be a legit complaint, despite it being a core part of the game and one of the reasons I like it.

For some reason people go to bat for it and against it in the most overtly hostile ways.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ilmucche posted:

Dark souls is one of those things where the fanbase/ anti fanbase can be pretty insufferable. I like the game but get why people don't. It does some things brilliantly but is damned unforgiving and not being able to pause can be a legit complaint, despite it being a core part of the game and one of the reasons I like it.

For some reason people go to bat for it and against it in the most overtly hostile ways.

That’s cuz it’s the best game you goddamn jackass!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Olaf The Stout posted:

lmao at this entire post

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Olaf The Stout posted:

I like the Souls games, but if they make people post like this, they are clearly doing something terribly wrong.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Olaf The Stout posted:

loving lol

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

rydiafan posted:

The Monster Hunter World expansion adds mounts that go even further with this: they will only autopilot towards the monster you're targeting (or its nearest tracks if you don't know where it is yet) with no player control allowed aside from stop/go. It's actually pretty nice because it lets you use whetstones and potions to prep for the fight while you're on the way.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Once you get the ability to mark enemies with Dead Eye nothing really changes for the rest of the game. Combat in RDR2 basically comes down to popping Dead Eye, putting an X on the head of everyone you can see and instakilling them all at once, then taking some chewing tobacco to refill your meter if it runs out and there are more enemies. All the guns feel the same to the point that you stop caring about things like whether you're holding a rifle or pistol since the combat is going to be functionally identical either way. Enemies never even get helmets or anything to change up the combat the slightest bit.

The thing dragging RDR2 down for me was the whole game feeling weirdly soulless even though it's technically well put together. Arthur's storyline was compelling enough even if it was a bit bleak, but I was still consciously pushing myself to get through the game because I'd spent money on it rather than on account actually enjoying it much. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why but I think with an undertaking as massive as creating a game on this scale with a company as large as Rockstar, it feels like it was produced by thousands of people who were all doing their jobs to make a new RDR game but didn't really have any passion for what they were doing like you might find in a smaller studio. After completing the main story and epilogue I was just happy I wouldn't have to play it anymore.

After the boringness of the routine gunfights I forced myself to switch it up for a while. For sidearms I used a sick pistol and a sawed off shotgun and did a few fights by running and tackling dudes then doing a point-blank execution over and over. It's pretty fun and different, and the gore in the game is really something. Every time you execute someone with a shotgun there's a bunch of blood and gore blowback, so by the end of a large fight arthur is a sight to see, absolutely covered in gore and dripping in blood, it's pretty disgustingly visceral. That extended the life for the game for a while but I still ended up setting it down and probably will never play it again.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't normally care about graphics but some of the lighting in Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin is so inconsistent and weird it is actually off-putting to look at.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Why is the monk in Final Fantasy 1 so drat complicated? Use weapons, except your fists are stronger than weapons, so never mind, don't. And wear this armor only, but not after this point, in which case you should wear no armor at all, unless you DO use this armor, but also, maybe don't wear that armor, but do put on that ring. No, not that one.

Meanwhile Warrior = You get a million HP and your armor cuts any attack down to 1 damage. Go hit poo poo with a sword. Any sword.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Eclipse12 posted:

Why is the monk in Final Fantasy 1 so drat complicated? Use weapons, except your fists are stronger than weapons, so never mind, don't. And wear this armor only, but not after this point, in which case you should wear no armor at all, unless you DO use this armor, but also, maybe don't wear that armor, but do put on that ring. No, not that one.

Meanwhile Warrior = You get a million HP and your armor cuts any attack down to 1 damage. Go hit poo poo with a sword. Any sword.

I listen to System Mastery, a podcast about old tabletop RPGs, and I think this is just a symptom you always see there manifesting into a JRPG.

loving nobody knows how to do Monks well, but they all have different ideas about how to do it badly. Sometimes they'll be really powerful because they overtune doing unarmed combat or something, but usually they just foist weird mandatory traits on you to keep pace, or try to give you some weird martial arts system that's either overcooked or undercooked and either way just worse than having a weapon. Basically, unless the game's built around going unarmed, it's a bad idea.

Early FF had at least sort of an idea in making it essentially 'the cheap option'; Monk is rarely the strongest job for a situation, but it keeps pace well enough, and the fact you never need to give it equipment means that you have more money to kit out your other party members (which, incidentally, is not an option that tabletop games generally have since they usually give people individual inventories, rewards and finances). Still, it's telling they eventually just gave Monks claw weapons and called it a day.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

monster hunter world not having claw or fist weapon types is really dragging it down for me

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Overwatch Porn posted:

monster hunter world not having claw or fist weapon types is really dragging it down for me

the rajang DBs are skinned as big fists, you can kinda fake it with those

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Or Decimation Claws if you want claws.

I wish you could skin literally anything as anything rather than just having a small number of layered armours.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm sure it's gonna run at a million fps on pc thanks to the Decima engine being made of arcane magic, but Death Stranding's 30 fps lock on ps4 is making it hard to get back into it. Normally it wouldn't bother me at all, I'm not a framerate snob, but I've been playing some 120+ fps games lately and it feels like the game is skipping like a CD. This is partially my own fault but still, it's a shame this is the price you gotta pay if you want photorealistic graphics on consoles. I'll take framerate over visual fidelity any day.

Can't wait for it to come out on PC so I can see Norman Reedus pee at a nice perfectly smooth 144 fps.

Edit: Also I'm getting a bit sick of the pop up notifications on the left side of the screen. Wish you could turn those off. Riding a motorcycle on the reconstructed highway is really annoying because not being able to stay right in the middle means it's just a constant feed of CONNECTED TO POWER GRID DISCONNECTED FROM POWER GRID CONNECTED DISCONNECTED CONNECTED.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:40 on Jan 22, 2020

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The thing dragging RDR2 down for me was the whole game feeling weirdly soulless even though it's technically well put together.
I feel like this sums up Rockstar Games since Bully.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another tiny Death Stranding complaint, and I mean tiny, as in nobody is probably bothered by it besides me. The game has an excellent analog stick deadzone, probably the best and most accurate I've seen in a video game, but I wish it took a bit further of a push to make Sam go from walking to jogging. Sometimes you gotta take it real slow on rocky terrain and more than a few times I've accidentally taken one step too far and nearly spilled over, purely because Sam jogged instead of walked when I didn't want him to.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Eclipse12 posted:

Its not complicated by design. Like most of FF1 on NES, Black Belt is bugged. Monk defense is SUPPOSED to check if you have armor on, and if not, defense = level which is actually pretty straightforward.
It doesnt work this way though. The game is bugged and checks if you have a WEAPON equipped when you level up which most players wont in the late game so it sees you have no weapon and uses your level defense despite what youre wearing. This is fixed simply by entering the armor menu but if you arent aware this bug is going on you can find yourself taking a lot of damage for no reason.

I love the first FF and have replayed it more than any other, so I'm pretty in the thick of it on the nitty gritty of its game design. If you have a chance read up on the bugs in the game because its fascinating that the game even functions.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 11:14 on Jan 22, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RagnarokAngel posted:

I love the first FF and have replayed it more than any other, so I'm pretty in the thick of it on the nitty gritty of its game design. If you have a chance read up on the bugs in the game because its fascinating that the game even functions.

My favorite is the one that's technically not a bug, but just terrible game design: It's worthless to buy the spell AMUT (AKA Vox in the better translation), because no enemy inflicts the status effect that it cures.

I kinda love the little gems like that, the parts of infamously buggy games that aren't even bad because of the bugs, they're just bad decisions that resulted from the same slapdash process that made the bugs in the first place. Like how, even in a bug-free version of the first generation of Pokemon, Psychic types would still reign because they horribly undergeared the Pokemon that are supposed to be strong against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cleretic posted:

My favorite is the one that's technically not a bug, but just terrible game design: It's worthless to buy the spell AMUT (AKA Vox in the better translation), because no enemy inflicts the status effect that it cures.

I kinda love the little gems like that, the parts of infamously buggy games that aren't even bad because of the bugs, they're just bad decisions that resulted from the same slapdash process that made the bugs in the first place. Like how, even in a bug-free version of the first generation of Pokemon, Psychic types would still reign because they horribly undergeared the Pokemon that are supposed to be strong against it.

I wanna see a Mewtwo appearence in a cartoon or movie, where he goes up against a dark type, like Umbreon, who just releases everyone's pokemon at once and they dogpile him using the dark move "Beat Up". That's what that move canonically does, and I love that.