Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Motronic posted:

MSRP on that set is $5200.

and I thought Kallista was expensive.

Kallista is Kohler's uber luxury brand. They used to sell a $2500 showerhead and a $25k copper bathtub

A quick browsing of their website has turned up a $5500 kitchen sink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So any nuovau rich can now live their Captain Nemo cos-life adventures?
It used to take planning.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

there wolf posted:

One block wonders. Though usually those are hexegons or octogons so you get a kaleidoscope effect.

Oh, I know. Here's a finished one and another in progress.

Yes, I have a 4x8 sheet of styrofoam in my bedroom for pinning quilt blocks to, what of it? One day I will have a studio where I can mount it on the wall so I don't have to sit on the floor. :3:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

So was Trump's recent appliances rant triggered by a lovely Kohler shitter? One does wonder...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Oh, I know. Here's a finished one and another in progress.

Yes, I have a 4x8 sheet of styrofoam in my bedroom for pinning quilt blocks to, what of it? One day I will have a studio where I can mount it on the wall so I don't have to sit on the floor. :3:

Cool. 30+ years ago I got to use a denim quilt mad from old jeans for a couple weeks and it was awesome. This was long before the "weighted blanket" fad so I didn't know why it was so good, but I hated giving it up. Ever since then I've pondered making my own jean quilt, but I've been too lazy.

Then here you are with a much more labour intensive quilt like it ain't no thing. :mad:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I've got a dedicated sewing room and it still has some old flannel tacked to the wall for laying poo poo out.

Something thread relevant- what do we think this is?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
It's something out of eastern Europe, I'd say.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
It's a water heater for that sink. One tap comes off the cold line, the other runs from the cold line through an electric heater first.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

this one is real though

(well, it might be)

Goin’ for that Captain D’s motif, I love it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

1. Salty Bitch is a great user name for a perfect waifu
2. Avalanche is a great name for a powerful toilet
3. Kawaii quilts

1/22/2020 good posting day

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

HycoCam posted:

You haven't even heard the price...

Yeah, good question, how much are they going to pay me to take that hideous poo poo off their hands?

gently caress all this faux-retro garbage people are clamoring for these days. "OOOOH BUT IT HAS TO BE BRONZE OR COPPER AND LOOK LIKE IT WAS OBSOLETE IN THE 1800's."

Or you know what's in lately? Black fixtures. People then come back to us extremely huffy that "OMG YOU CAN SEE THE LIMESCALE ON IT" and it's like yeah moron it's loving black, limescale is ochre or pale white, of course it's gonna show up better on a black background, you dunce, you loving imbecile.

Worst thing is that it's the low-grade suppliers who're the first to respond to the new trend, so we can either sell people something they'll come back to bitch at us about in six months or we can warn them away from it and lose the sale. Usually I warn them away from it, because my blood pressure is more important than our sales numbers.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dr.Smasher posted:

It's something out of eastern Europe, I'd say.

If it wasn't for the round power socket I'd easily believe this was from an English kitchen cheaply outfitted in the 70s. You still see them about now and again.

Like electric showers are for bathrooms, they're used when a kitchen is put in cheaply without wanting or being able to run central hot water to it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Maybe I need one for my kitchen. It's too far from the boiler and struggles to get hot water. We replaced the thermo in the sink but it's still :/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered by coal gas, 1920s.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nenonen posted:

this one is real though

(well, it might be)

That's the bathroom sink in like half the freakin' craft breweries I've been to.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

peanut posted:

Maybe I need one for my kitchen. It's too far from the boiler and struggles to get hot water. We replaced the thermo in the sink but it's still :/

We had a little instant hot water spigot in the kitchen where I grew up, it was aces. Especially since my dad drank Folgers instant coffee every morning for 40 years. (he has Keurig now, but he special orders biodegradable small batch Hawaiian coffee pods for it). Also good for oatmeal, instant noodles, and stubborn dish stains.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The previous owner installed these one-piece toilets (as in the bowl and tank are the same piece) by glacier bay and I can't tell if they are just bad or if we have a pipe challenge too.

I think they picked ten for the size constraints but they still made the install as dumb as possible.

I don't have the gumption to deal with it while they still work though.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
My cousin is in the process of turning an old beer keg into a urinal. To put in is garage. Right next to the fridge.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

mds2 posted:

My cousin is in the process of turning an old beer keg into a urinal. To put in is garage. Right next to the fridge.

Has he considered just taking a functioning urinal and making it a functioning beer fridge? Cut out the middle man. Take a beer out, put a beer back.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

A Catch-22 style situation with two kegs, one you drink from and one you pee into. When they are empty and full respectively, you just swap them.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
one keg always tells the truth, the other always lies

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Something something pisswater

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

one keg always tells the truth, the other always lies

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Salty Bitch posted:

Lemme know if you have any questions on plumbing, lighting or appliances I'll be more than happy to help.
So not specific to him, but:

What are your recommendations for fixtures that are well built and will last 20+ years, but that aren't luxury bullshit?

I'm almost always willing to pay for quality, but I'm never willing to pay for quality that only comes wrapped in an overly complicated bluetooth enabled faucet or whatever the hell things have been posted here, which unfortunately seems to be a dying market sector.

So like, best plain old toilet that does a good job of taking poo poo to the sewer. Best feature-free bathroom sink faucet that will get water on my toothbrush for the next 20 years. The best single pipe in the wall shower [not even sure what to call a traditional shower] that not going to have me breaking tile to replace it's valve in 5 years. etc.

Pretend that I want to go back in time and have the options that were available 50 years ago, with build quality to match.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

stealie72 posted:

So like, best plain old toilet that does a good job of taking poo poo to the sewer.

American Standard Cadet 3 ($130) or Champion 4 ($180). Totos are for people that want their toilet to look like a MOMA exhibit or those that like to overspend in order to feel like they bought 'the best'.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This plumbing talk makes me want to replace any traps etc that breaks with bare soldered copper. Part breaks, de-and-re-solder.

Jows
May 8, 2002

stealie72 posted:

What are your recommendations for fixtures that are well built and will last 20+ years, but that aren't luxury bullshit?

I'm almost always willing to pay for quality, but I'm never willing to pay for quality that only comes wrapped in an overly complicated bluetooth enabled faucet or whatever the hell things have been posted here, which unfortunately seems to be a dying market sector.

So like, best plain old toilet that does a good job of taking poo poo to the sewer. Best feature-free bathroom sink faucet that will get water on my toothbrush for the next 20 years. The best single pipe in the wall shower [not even sure what to call a traditional shower] that not going to have me breaking tile to replace it's valve in 5 years. etc.

Pretend that I want to go back in time and have the options that were available 50 years ago, with build quality to match.

Bidets do an rear end in a top hat good. I have three toilets in my house. I only use the one with a bidet to poop. The good Korean or Japanese ones are worth it. The addon seats anyway, I don't know about longevity of the built-ins.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

mds2 posted:

One of my local bars had a line of keg urinals for a while. The rounded sides were actually pretty great for preventing backsplash. Whoever put them together did a decent job too, but they were eventually switched out, probably thanks to a grumpy food safety inspector.

Salty Bitch
Jan 22, 2020

stealie72 posted:

Yeah of course.

So I'd go with Mirabelle its the Ferguson house brand, and it's what I've put in my parents house for all of their bathroom remodels.

Brand has ceramic disk in your faucets and their valves are lifetime warranty and will make adaptors for new trim if you ever decide to upgrade. Its going to be price point above home depot but not anywhere near the crazy luxury poo poo.

Also ways to keep costs down, dont go into the bullshit colors. Stick with chrome or brushed nickel if you're feeling crazy. The more fun the color the more you're going to pay. Also every brands brushed nickel is a little bit different so color matching can become hell.

I'm partial to the American Standard Champion series for toilets.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can do anything else.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

B-Nasty posted:

American Standard Cadet 3 ($130) or Champion 4 ($180). Totos are for people that want their toilet to look like a MOMA exhibit or those that like to overspend in order to feel like they bought 'the best'.

Hell yeah

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Hell yeah

I feel like the airplane/turkey test line holds, remember to thaw it first.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I worked in a rather terrible restaurant in college. One of my jobs was to help clean the chicken broaster. I emptied the nearly cool grease and then we scraped out all the left over gunk. "Ian", the dishwasher/junkie disappeared with two 5 gallon pails of burnt breading, coagulated grease, and chicken wings. After I dumped the grease I see him coming out of the bathroom with two empty 5 gallon pails. Instead of bringing it to the dumpster he decided to just flush all of the kitchen waste to save himself the trip. Whatever toilet they had was stout as it sucked all that poo poo right down with nary a clog.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
One simple trick, sanitation workers hate him.

(don't send grease down your wastewater lines, it forms fatbergs in the sewer system that clog everyones' shitters)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

We had a little instant hot water spigot in the kitchen where I grew up, it was aces. Especially since my dad drank Folgers instant coffee every morning for 40 years. (he has Keurig now, but he special orders biodegradable small batch Hawaiian coffee pods for it). Also good for oatmeal, instant noodles, and stubborn dish stains.

Deepest sympathies for your dad's taste in coffee.

Instant hot spigot would be great in an office. I only see them in conveyor sushi restaurants for making tea.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Fruits of the sea posted:

One of my local bars had a line of keg urinals for a while. The rounded sides were actually pretty great for preventing backsplash. Whoever put them together did a decent job too, but they were eventually switched out, probably thanks to a grumpy food safety inspector.

Wrong way.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

FCKGW posted:

Hell yeah

Gerber Avalanche vs. water balloons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xxXojKF508

there wolf posted:

Wrong way.

That reminds me of Woody's Bar in Wildwood. They had a photo hanging in the men's room of the bar, taken in the 1930s.

There was a gutter under the footrail, at the base of the bar, cut right into the floor, about a foot wide, running the length of the bar (at least); water streamed through it in a constant flow, so patrons could just whip it out & piss while they drank.

The sex-separation in bars back then makes slightly more sense.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 23, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ashcans posted:

The previous owner installed these one-piece toilets (as in the bowl and tank are the same piece) by glacier bay and I can't tell if they are just bad or if we have a pipe challenge too.

My wife wants one of those, and I'm slowly coming around to the idea.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Gonna import me one of those German poopshelf toilets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Platystemon posted: