Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think that it's going to be worse than Revolutions, but it's going to be bad.

on second thought, Reloaded is probably worse with all of the Merovingian and Architect poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've always felt Reloaded was worse. I rewatched the trilogy in a row a couple months ago and it's stark how much worse the sequels are to the original when you're doing that.

Also Trinity's dead how is she gonna be in the new movie.

But yeah seeing Weaving as Agent Smith would be the only draw for me. Not sure who this is even for.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Matrix IV will have Russian strongman as antagonist instead of decadent elfs

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I feel like Guy Pearce could be a good Agent Smith. He has the right look and while he doesn't have quite the same timbre as Weaving I imagine he can do a good impression of him if needed.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hugo Weaving will not be in Matrix 4 because of a scheduling conflict and the Wachowskis are not interested in delaying their movie to get him in

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-matrix-4-hugo-weaving-not-returning-as-agent-smith

He missed out on Endgame for the Red Skull reappearance. Unless he has some dynamite project coming up, I get the impression that he probably has no interest in big budget films anymore.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

make samara weaving the new agent smith

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Young Freud posted:

He missed out on Endgame for the Red Skull reappearance. Unless he has some dynamite project coming up, I get the impression that he probably has no interest in big budget films anymore.
He did a recent interview where he explained what happened

quote:

“I loved playing that character Red Skull – it was a lot of fun. We were all obliged to sign up for three pictures: I was thinking [Red Skull] probably wouldn’t come back in Captain America but he may well come back as a villain in The Avengers. By then, they’d pushed back on the contracts that we agreed on and so the money they offered me for The Avengers was much less than I got for the very first one, and this was for two films. And the promise when we first signed the contracts was that the money would grow each time. They said: ‘It’s just a voice job, it’s not a big deal.’ I actually found negotiating with them through my agent impossible. And I didn’t really wanna do it that much. But I would have done it,” Weaving said.

https://www.ign.com/articles/hugo-weaving-reveals-the-real-reason-he-didnt-return-as-red-skull

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Matrix w/o Hugo Weaving is a bummer, but consider, maybe they can get Michael Shannon to play an agent. Don't tell me that doesn't pique your interest.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Reviving Agent Smith would've been dumb, I'm glad he's not coming back.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've always felt Reloaded was worse. I rewatched the trilogy in a row a couple months ago and it's stark how much worse the sequels are to the original when you're doing that.

Also Trinity's dead how is she gonna be in the new movie.

But yeah seeing Weaving as Agent Smith would be the only draw for me. Not sure who this is even for.

She already died twice so coming back again is no big deal.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well at least it won't revive the "Smith was the real One " debate

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Still hoping Matrix 4 is a new cycle with Trinity and Neo having swapped roles.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I kinda don't blame them for not wanting to wait considering Reeves alone is pushing 60, but yeah, that's a huge blow.

I also can't imagine their budget is very loose, Keanu's asking price can't be low and the Wachkowskis did kinda end their careers with three flops in a row. (Four if you count Sense8.)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If he's so easily cut out then it was probably nothing more than an unnecessary "Hey remember???" cameo to begin with. Not every character needs to come back for every sequel, no matter how much you may like them. That's how you wind up with Star Wars.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RatHat posted:

Reviving Agent Smith would've been dumb, I'm glad he's not coming back.

Yeah, this. I'm not sure where all the "This is worthless without Agent Smith" stuff is coming from. As much as I love Weaving, that character is done and bringing him back for nostalgia's sake is an awful idea.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, this. I'm not sure where all the "This is worthless without Agent Smith" stuff is coming from. As much as I love Weaving, that character is done and bringing him back for nostalgia's sake is an awful idea.

Yeah, but bringing back that franchise is basically for nostalgia's sake. Like maybe Wachowskis are doing it because they actually want to, but I suspect they are just doing another Matrix because they can't get anything else greenlit after making so many bombs.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, this. I'm not sure where all the "This is worthless without Agent Smith" stuff is coming from. As much as I love Weavingthe Matrix, that character series is done and bringing himit back for nostalgia's sake is an awful idea.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Eh, this is the Wachowskis basically pulling a Bill & Ted 3, there is some potential in asking what the Matrix is up to years after Revolutions. I have no idea how Neo and Trinity will figure into that and would have left them out myself, but complaining that Smith isn't also there sounds like "if you include x you have to include y" to me without any consideration of what the movie might be.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh and I am just reading that only one of the Wachowskis is involved in this, not both of them

There is also a report that Lambert Wilson is coming back as the Merovingian which is about the last thing I want to hear

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Matrix 4 should just be a 3 camera sitcom with laugh track

Wouldn’t be as dumb as the mmo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Agent Smith spinoff where he, I dunno, ends up in the Digital World and learns to love Digimon.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Agent Smith but he runs a hot dog cart company called Agent Smith’s Matrix Hot Dogs.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Agent Smith spinoff where he, I dunno, ends up in the Digital World and learns to love Digimon.

Pokémon is eggs I guess and digimon is the not eggs. Sad shapeless snotty uneggs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Pokémon is eggs I guess and digimon is the not eggs. Sad shapeless snotty uneggs.

Hey they specifically have Digi-Eggs. And no, the naming scheme doesn't get any better from there.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I always like Digimon because the cute friendly monsters always transform into badass cyborg Godzilla or HR Giger monster.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hey they specifically have Digi-Eggs. And no, the naming scheme doesn't get any better from there.

They couldn't even find a way to shoehorn mon into the name. Sad.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Monozygote double yolkers, now in paste form. Dull, gallium flatware extra.

And yes I did enjoy Digimon back in the day :negative:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

mycot posted:

The Sexual Assault/Metoo thread has been extremely eye-opening regarding French culture :staredog:

That consent law petition was really something, huh?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

That's for the individual creature names, literally every other term has Digi on the front.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Best part of Digimon was the ten minutes of recap of the story before the episode where every other word ended in -mon. I have no idea what ever happened in an episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's like when you watched Dragon Ball Z back in the day, and the incredibly bombastic narrator would spend five minutes recapping the events of the previous episode at the start, and then describe most of the events of the next episode at the end, so you basically only needed to watch every third episode or so to keep up with things. Next time, on DRAGON! BALL! Z!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

io9 has a list of 21 "genre" movies debuting at Sundance. Here are some of the weird / interesting ones.

Nine Days
Us’s Winston Duke, Joker’s Zazie Beetz, Doctor Strange’s Benedict Wong, It’s Bill Skarsgård, and Toy Story 4's Tony Hale star in a film about a man who interviews five beings trying to decide which of them should be born. These characters aren’t people, they are the personifications of a soul, and only one can be brought into the world.

Jumbo
Noémie Merlant, star of Portrait of a Lady on Fire, plays a shy amusement park worker who one day decides she’s in love with a Tilt-A-Whirl. Like, actual, passionate love. With a ride. She names it Jumbo.

Scare Me
Described as a “metafictional horror comedy,” this one features a man who goes to a secluded cabin to write his first novel. While there, he meets another writer, a woman (You’re the Worst’s Aya Cash), from a nearby cabin who is there to do the same thing. The two begin to swap scary stories until the man realizes the woman is better than him.

Horse Girl
Alison Brie stars as a woman who has trouble distinguishing her vivid dreams from reality. It’s produced by Jay and Mark Duplass and co-written by Brie herself, and Netflix will release the film in the weeks after Sundance. Trailer

Wendy
Beasts of the Southern Wild director Benh Zeitlin finally returns with his sophomore feature, an adaptation of Peter Pan told through the eyes of Wendy Darling. It looks to have that vibrant, pulsating energy and style that made his first film so special and memorable.

Spree
Stranger Things star Joe Keery plays a ride-share driver who wants to become a social media superstar. His car is decked out with all kinds of cameras to broadcast live but when a comedian with her own social media aspirations gets into the car, all hell breaks loose.

Happy Happy, Joy Joy - The Ren and Stimpy Story
Despite what the title suggests, this documentary about the cult Nickelodeon show isn’t all positive. It goes through the history of the show but will focus heavily on recent accusations of underage sexual abuse by its creator John Kricfalusi.

Feels Good Man
The story of Matt Furie, the creator of Pepe the Frog, something that was meant to be a fun comic book character but instead became a symbol for so much more.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

quote:

Tesla
Ethan Hawke plays Nikola Tesla in this biopic diving into the legendary inventor’s mind, as well as his rivalry with Thomas Edison (Kyle MacLachlan) when it came to the invention of electricity.

Oh gently caress off another one??

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Feels Good Man
The story of Matt Furie, the creator of Pepe the Frog, something that was meant to be a fun comic book character but instead became a symbol for so much more.

Understatement of the loving century.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The MSJ posted:

Jumbo
Noémie Merlant, star of Portrait of a Lady on Fire, plays a shy amusement park worker who one day decides she’s in love with a Tilt-A-Whirl. Like, actual, passionate love. With a ride. She names it Jumbo.

Isn't this some weird book that had a let's read thread in the book barn

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Isn't this some weird book that had a let's read thread in the book barn

Those were about anthropomorphic roller-coasters. Not to be confused with the play about anthropomorphic trains.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0p4Im88wSg

zany master humorist max landis is back

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No thanks.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lobok posted:

I feel like Guy Pearce could be a good Agent Smith. He has the right look and while he doesn't have quite the same timbre as Weaving I imagine he can do a good impression of him if needed.

That also would mean they have to cast Terence Stamp.

I see no problem with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Alex Winter is the new Neo and old Neo is his mentor

they both escape in a telephone booth before it's hit by a truck