Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Insulation is DONE! Total usage for the whole house came to 41 bales. (Over the last 9.5 years.)

At this point the only demo left to do is the stairs, a plaster wall under the stairs, a little remaining exterior trim and siding I haven't bothered to pull yet, and then it's just... Putting a bunch of stuff on.

Pics later, I'm beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh, and I'm a huge fan of GRK and spax as well.

I'll take the stair stringer advise under advisement... Still trying to find a way to do them all in one shot but if I can't, I can't.

I've just finished tallying up the sheetrock i need and it looks like just the upstairs hall and 3 closets will take 29 sheets, not including the first floor.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

I'll take the stair stringer advise under advisement... Still trying to find a way to do them all in one shot but if I can't, I can't.

Precision Chainsaw, obvs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Precision Chainsaw, obvs.

My dad actually suggested that on Facebook, without realizing what I was trying to cut :v:

89 sheets of drywall to finish this place off, based on my staring at walls exercise today. I think I'm going to have two pallets delivered and I'm picking the rest up as I use it.

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

You're so close to the finish line, I cannot even honestly image how good it will probably feel for you to fork over the keys to a new buyer and just walk the gently caress away from all this. Thank you for sharing your ten years of nightmares for our general amusement, Kastein.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

well imgur has "improved" their UI yet again and made it even more of a broken pain in the dick
fuckin yay. I swear I need to write a goddamn script that I can copy paste their URLs into and have it autoformat a post for me because this is sapping my will to post.

if anyone actually uses the "click for big" option I've been adding for every image, speak up now because I'm not putting effort into it if it's not being used anyways.

Put up the stringers for the front porch stairs. I'm in a bit of a quandary on how to proceed with connecting the newell posts for the railings down the stairs, because while I know how the codebook says to do it, it seems very weak to me. Also not happy with how I had to attach the stringers to the bottom beam but that's my fault, I hosed up a bit planning where the helical piles needed to go and how many steps I needed, and as a result I now have to accomodate that.

put up the vapor barrier in the entire first floor and the remainder I needed to do in the closets upstairs.

When I first insulated this place in 2012ish, I only did the exterior walls in the two finished bedrooms and blew whatever was left in the stack of insulation bales into the ceilings. Since it is now time to piss or get off the pot insulation wise, I installed foam insulation board in the ends of the joist bays where the roof meets the attic ceiling to keep from filling the entire attic with blown in insulation.
First step, finally install the stepped up floor bridging over the HVAC return duct so I don't collapse it by accident climbing in and out of the attic 47 million times:

Next finish installing the flooring, I had only done the easiest two thirds of the attic so I could get my moving boxes out of the living room:

Cut the foamboard to shape and wedge it into every opening:

Sprayfoam vigorously:

But don't block off the ProVent to keep the roof heated/cooled by the soffit vents:

Sheetrocked the new kitchen wall because I had two extra sheets leftover from a previous project and they were going to be in the way when blowing insulation.

Then we bought another eleven bales of insulation (to add to the 5 leftover from the 3 previous insulation days we'd had) and went to town on it. INSULATION EVERYWHERE! (literally, if you've ever run one of these machines you know it goes eeeeverywhere. We're still finding and vacuuming up stray fluff right now.)

Check out the beautiful washers and finishing screws the previous owner used to attach this deadbolt to the kitchen exterior door. Fucker.

Sheetrocked a closet:

Rented the trim coil sheetmetal brake from HD to bend up the flashing for the porch roof to house wall area. I only had it rented for 34 minutes or so because I just set my rear end down and bent my material in the parking lot, then drove it home :v:

Next up: sheetrocking alllll the things

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Upstairs hall sheetrock is going in...

This next piece was a pain in the rear end to measure for and cut, but went in nearly perfectly and painlessly.

This square piece with only the return duct and ceiling light holes in it? Took no time to cut, but was a nightmare to hang due to a combination of human error and workspace constraints.

So far, I've been buying 10 sheets at a time and dragging them home myself in the wagon or one of the pickups, depending on what was running and available at the time. HD bulk discount price would have saved about 120 bucks for the remaining quantity I needed but I'd have to pick it up myself all in one load using a rental truck or trailer. Their delivery option would have taken that down to a 40 dollar savings but still eliminated the hours of loading and unloading and driving in circles, but when I went to place the order they told me they couldn't deliver to my location because they can't get an 18 wheeler in and out of the road.
So I went to talk to the local lumberyard. They wanted more money ($170 more than HD regular low quantity price... oh well) BUT it saved me around 9 hours of driving and many hours of loading and unloading and 2/3 of the carry distance, because their delivery truck was just barely small enough to get down the road, driveway, and right into the yard, so we stacked it by hand right by the back deck and I carried all 60 sheets inside that night. Those of you who have visited will understand how much of a difference it is between hauling drywall from the road/driveway or hauling it from the back deck. Totally worth the $170.

So now I have a metric butt-gently caress-load of drywall stacked in the kitchen and I'm slowly picking away at hanging it.

It's not wet, that's just shadows cast by the ceiling lights.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

:stare:

:catstare:

I remember my dad Shanghai'ing me into hauling cement board with him in high school and shaming me because I wasn't doing it with a hernia. That's a gently caress ton of material.

I can't wait to see you build something from the ground up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

According to weight estimates, since it's ultralight drywall, it should be around 3200lb in that picture. Yeah, I was drat sore the next day.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kastein posted:

…while I know how the codebook says to do it, it seems very weak to me.

This thread in a single phrase.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I mean, "to code" is the bare minimum, not something to aspire to.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

kastein posted:

According to weight estimates, since it's ultralight drywall, it should be around 3200lb in that picture. Yeah, I was drat sore the next day.

Erryday leg day
You're doing an amazing job with the house, I wish I had a tenth of your skill and resolve

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
That's a hell of a lot of progress, it looks awesome.

Are you going to hire the mudding out? I suggest considering that. A good pro should be able to do it 10 times faster and I would imagine it wouldn't be incredibly expensive.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The is way too much drywall for me, goddamn.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I mean, "to code" is the bare minimum, not something to aspire to.

"To code" is what your regional/national home builder lobbies negotiated down to so they can keep firing out 3500 sq ft mcmansions made out of as little material as possible and assembled in as few steps as possible.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

dreesemonkey posted:

Are you going to hire the mudding out? I suggest considering that. A good pro should be able to do it 10 times faster and I would imagine it wouldn't be incredibly expensive.

Maybe, but my wife decided she wanted to learn how to do it and has already gotten better than I was, so we'll see, it might be done by the time I'm done with the heavier lifting projects.

Oh also - with the insulation and vapor barrier and drywall going up, this 1400sf house is reasonably livable with just the 40k btu heatpump functionality built into the central AC I installed. A very pleasant surprise - wasn't expecting that. I'm betting the heating bill for this entire winter will be lower than it was for January last year and I haven't even put the radiant heating system in. I'm kinda debating buying a pellet stove or gas fireplace and keeping all the radiant heating parts I bought already for the Washington house build, depending on how things go as temps dip into next month. It would save an awful lot of time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If those parts aren't a nightmare to move, I'd save them for the future build.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

well imgur has "improved" their UI yet again and made it even more of a broken pain in the dick
fuckin yay. I swear I need to write a goddamn script that I can copy paste their URLs into and have it autoformat a post for me because this is sapping my will to post.

if anyone actually uses the "click for big" option I've been adding for every image, speak up now because I'm not putting effort into it if it's not being used anyways.

What UI are you using? Mine (on PC) still looks the same with the same options, but I seem to recall having selected an option to not use the new UI.
I only use the phone poo poo for uploading.

dreesemonkey posted:

I need to re-sheetrock my living room, and you bet your rear end I'm hiring someone(s) to do it, and not just because my wife works for a paint and drywall company. That just makes it easier to get quality workmen. I would hire her actual company to do it, but they don't do residential, so will likely just hire a couple of their guys on the side (which the company is fine with. Gotta love family-owned local businesses.) Might hire them for paint, as well. I've proved many times that I *can* do it - I don't *want* to anymore.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Darchangel posted:

What UI are you using? Mine (on PC) still looks the same with the same options, but I seem to recall having selected an option to not use the new UI.
I only use the phone poo poo for uploading.

I use the phone app for uploading (which shrugs and throws all the photos in a random order in the album) and I then have to hand-code the results into bbcode because I want to use the huge thumbnail not the regular one and don't want to abuse people's bandwidth with timg tags, especially because (iirc) timg tags inside a url tag make things flip out instead of working right as mobile browsers and the awful app don't know whether you're tapping the photo to expand the timg or to open the url. I'll have to double check most of that.

Last night I was writing the post from my laptop not my phone and it seems they've forced me over to the new imgur web interface, which hides the url I wanted another 4 or 5 clicks deep in menus. So I just right clicked and copied the url and added the h tag to it manually. But still, it's a pain in the rear end especially with it randomly ordering the photos from the app when they get uploaded.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

I use the phone app for uploading (which shrugs and throws all the photos in a random order in the album) and I then have to hand-code the results into bbcode because I want to use the huge thumbnail not the regular one and don't want to abuse people's bandwidth with timg tags, especially because (iirc) timg tags inside a url tag make things flip out instead of working right as mobile browsers and the awful app don't know whether you're tapping the photo to expand the timg or to open the url. I'll have to double check most of that.

Last night I was writing the post from my laptop not my phone and it seems they've forced me over to the new imgur web interface, which hides the url I wanted another 4 or 5 clicks deep in menus. So I just right clicked and copied the url and added the h tag to it manually. But still, it's a pain in the rear end especially with it randomly ordering the photos from the app when they get uploaded.

Phone upload, computer post. Right click the picture in the album view -> open image in new tab, copy url, paste into your post. The desktop forums will wrap it in bbcode for you. Find/replace 'img]' with 'timg]'.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
In case you're not already aware, the thumbnails' URLs just take the full-resolution image's URL and stick "l", "m", or "s" on the end, e.g. full resolution, large thumbnail, medium, small.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Gat drat. And I thought moving my 30 sheets around was heavy. My back hurts just looking at that.

(How helpful is the drywall handle? I should have gotten one for myself...)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That drywall handle is the reason I could carry that all inside in about an hour and a half instead of it taking several days due to likely blowing out my back or tripping and dropping stuff. If you have to carry 4x8 sheet goods more than like five or ten times, buy one. Worth their weight in gold. And at $8, seriously, they're worth it if you use it once, if your back is like mine. I don't want to give it any excuses.

I already know about the imgur url formatting - if you insert an h you get the image size I've been using. And the timg tags. But the timg tags make the user download the full size image before the browser shrinks it, which pummels mobile browsers pretty badly, and wrapping a timg tag with a url tag to link to the full size just means the timg tag is useless on awful app and probably mobile browsers. I've been wrapping a regular img tag (referencing the h size thumbnail) with a url tag pointing at the full-size image, but I don't know if anyone's actually been using that and it's adding quite a bit to the time it takes to post, so I'm going to just not do that anymore unless people actually care.

Uploading from mobile is where it reorders the images at random which is extremely annoying when there are 20 or 30 of them. I don't have a fix for that.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 21, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

kastein posted:

I'm kinda debating buying a pellet stove or gas fireplace and keeping all the radiant heating parts I bought already for the Washington house build, depending on how things go as temps dip into next month. It would save an awful lot of time.

Another thing to consider re: moving the parts, if you are going to build to a similar R-value for your home in WA state you likely won't need the radiant floor heating as average winter temps will be higher than wherever you are in the north-east. Now if you just want radiant floors for the effect of the warm floor and hot air rising then maybe it's still worth taking it but I can't imagine you'll actually need it with everything else you'll be doing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

Another thing to consider re: moving the parts, if you are going to build to a similar R-value for your home in WA state you likely won't need the radiant floor heating as average winter temps will be higher than wherever you are in the north-east. Now if you just want radiant floors for the effect of the warm floor and hot air rising then maybe it's still worth taking it but I can't imagine you'll actually need it with everything else you'll be doing.

The house likely won't be over 600sqft total out there and will be at least this well insulated, but the barn is gonna be freakin' huge, and likely not as well insulated, so I figured 140k btu might be about right for it, or at least closer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

That drywall handle is the reason I could carry that all inside in about an hour and a half instead of it taking several days due to likely blowing out my back or tripping and dropping stuff. If you have to carry 4x8 sheet goods more than like five or ten times, buy one. Worth their weight in gold. And at $8, seriously, they're worth it if you use it once, if your back is like mine. I don't want to give it any excuses.

Seconding this. They work great for such a simple thing. Also useful for any sheet goods, not just drywall.

quote:

Uploading from mobile is where it reorders the images at random which is extremely annoying when there are 20 or 30 of them. I don't have a fix for that.
That's odd - the IOS app keeps them in the order I select them to upload, at least in the album they were uploaded to. The "all images" view on the web interface seems to move them around a bit.
To get to the view I screenshot, when in Imgur main user view (https://imgur.com/user/<user>), I hover over my name in the upper right, and click "images" on the drop-down that pops out. That gives me the all images private view, and then I can select the album from the drop-down on the left, then individual images to get all the click-to-copy links. I can't seem to get anything done in the "post" view it sometimes gets into. There's an "embed post" option there, but it's not BB Code.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Just mentioning since I didn't see it anywhere... But there's an be imgur uploader built into awful app, and it works a lot better than anything imgur intends for you to use. I dunno if you're using smartphone pics or a digital cam though, so this may be unhelpful.

IMO just post the h version, and if anyone wants to blow up your picture to find something obscure in the background to tag themselves, they can figure out how to copy/paste out the "h".

Awesome work at ever. Stringers on stringers!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Gat drat. And I thought moving my 30 sheets around was heavy. My back hurts just looking at that.

(How helpful is the drywall handle? I should have gotten one for myself...)

I delivered for Rona for two summers while I was in high school and the worst thing I ever had to do was move ~100 sheets of drywall off the truck and into the house. Half of them went to the 2nd floor, half of them went to the basement. None remained on the main floor. By wrists were swollen for a full week, and for three days I had a lot of difficulty and pain trying to close my fist. After work that day I had to call my mom to pick me up since I couldn't reliably hold on to the wheel of my car.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kastein posted:

The house likely won't be over 600sqft total out there and will be at least this well insulated, but the barn is gonna be freakin' huge, and likely not as well insulated, so I figured 140k btu might be about right for it, or at least closer.

What's a 600sqft layout look like?

Come to think of it what's the layout of this place look like and how big is it actually?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

kastein posted:

Build the barn big enough to build the house inside it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

What's a 600sqft layout look like?

Come to think of it what's the layout of this place look like and how big is it actually?

This place:

The section marked FEP was condemned and torn down before I even bought it. The WDK part is the back deck (soon to be torn down), the FOP is front porch, little 8 square section on the right is the bathroom (not drawn in exactly the right spot but who cares), the middle bit is 1.5 floors. 1400sf give or take.

Extremely rough plan for the next build:
- 20x20 foundation
- 20x10-ish porch hanging off the front
1.5-1.75 floor, single low sloped roof with 2+' eaves to keep water off the walls and foundation.
The back half will have a second level on it. First floor will have the kitchen, bathroom, and a bedroom in the back half and living/dining room in the front half, top floor will be master bath and bedroom with half-walls along the front. Whole front of the house and the living room portions of the two sides will have large windows facing Mount Rainier. We're planning to put the septic drain field directly in front of the house so that the fact that we have to keep trees off it helps with the view.

Barn/shop won't be smaller than 40x60 and if budget allows, I'd love to build it more like 45x70 or 45x80.

At some point I need to draw this and start coming up with actual plans.

Also I just bought a drywall screwgun (the kind that takes ammo belts of screws) and not only are the screws cheaper for it, it's way faster than using a drywall bit in a regular drill. Why didn't I do this ten years ago?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I want to see a screw gun video now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I want to see a screw gun video now.

Someone who is experienced with one can be stupid fast. Phone posting or would find a video.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

7 screws in however long this video is, minus the dumbass stumbling around trying to get out of the way of the laser level at the start. And I'm a novice with this thing still.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuR1PLK9PQ0

Finished sheetrocking another closet:

Just got more furring strips so it's time to get my rear end in gear on the dining room ceiling and probably the living room soon too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That thing rules.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Apparently I need to find some motivation because in 7 days I've only gotten 15 sheets up. That's a very depressing average. All the closets are done now though, finished the last one tonight. Upstairs hall walls next most likely.

I don't like the shape of this one but it's small enough that I needed every bit of volume I could get, so I didn't just cover over the weird bit at the back where it goes under the roof valley like I did on the last one, which is a much larger closet.

Reminder to self: in Washington the house design will be specifically arranged to minimize the number of under-12" strips of drywall and plywood as well as the number of barely-over-48" lengths of drywall. FFS, I've got a large number of, like, 40 inch by 48 inch drywall cutoffs and those super narrow strips at the top of the knee walls are annoying to install and mud. I'll aim for just under 24" and just under 48" wherever possible on the blueprints so that I end up with a bunch of 2-6" wide scraps instead of tons of wasted material.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, you've gotten 15 sheets up because every one needs 3 cuts at non-euclidian angles.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah, don't worry too badly about those dimensions, the house was mostly laid out before sheet goods were standardized and would be just as much of a pain in plaster and lath no matter the dimensions.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, it's just annoying the poo poo out of me by creating a giant stack of scraps that are large enough to feel like a waste but not large enough to actually fit anywhere.

Speaking of which.
The wall with the high efficiency laundry hookup is done.

You can even get to the trap cleanout.

And today I finished the wall next to it and most of the next one.

About ten to fifteen sections of drywall left to do in the entire second floor. Most of them are narrow strips beside door openings or big rectangles I barely have to trim and should go very quickly. Two of the big rectangles can't be done until I strip out the old stairs and banister because they're adjacent to that work area and so those ones will wait.

Edit: 20 sheets done now, 52 remaining...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
That looks like a challenging mudding job. Is there some miracle tool to make it easier?