Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Black Company's a pretty great trilogy about weird fantasy poker, although later trilogies may be hit-or-miss depending on what you liked about the first one.

Tonk is very real. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonk_(card_game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The Tor.com and NPR scifi+ fantasy book rec's in the OP are beyond stale. Send me links to anything newer and I'll update the OP.

Had no idea that kindofbook.com + https://www.bookbub.com/ existed, will be add them to OP too.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

quantumfoam posted:

The Tor.com and NPR scifi+ fantasy book rec's in the OP are beyond stale. Send me links to anything newer and I'll update the OP.

Had no idea that kindofbook.com + https://www.bookbub.com/ existed, will be add them to OP too.

I’ve bought a lot of books from the Bookbub email. I’ve been subscribed for several years. It’s decent. There is a fair share of self published Amazon drek, but there is a lot of good stuff too.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

XBenedict posted:

I’ve bought a lot of books from the Bookbub email. I’ve been subscribed for several years. It’s decent. There is a fair share of self published Amazon drek, but there is a lot of good stuff too.

As someone who saw the sales of my self-published Amazon drek skyrocket when I once got accepted into a Bookbub deal, I strongly urge everyone to sign up to Bookbub :)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lmao, just got started on the new Gibson book and he spins the alternate history Clinton win as potentially being due to a “reduction in Russian manipulation of social media”

Terminal Succ

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

shrike82 posted:

Lmao, just got started on the new Gibson book and he spins the alternate history Clinton win as potentially being due to a “reduction in Russian manipulation of social media”

Terminal Succ

What's sucky about that? afaik the Russians did tamper with our social media.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's sucky about that? afaik the Russians did tamper with our social media.

Not to go all C-SPAM in here, but the Dems ran a bad candidate with a poo poo campaign. Trump brilliantly harnessed the hatred white America has against minorities and poor people. Russian meddling did happen, but it did not influence the outcome.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Also if you check his twitter feed, Gibson is a dull blade having sensible chuckles at resistance drivel these days.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Not to go all C-SPAM in here, but the Dems ran a bad candidate with a poo poo campaign. Trump brilliantly harnessed the hatred white America has against minorities and poor people. Russian meddling did happen,

All of this is also true

quote:

but it did not influence the outcome.

This is, at this point, unproven at best.

For just one example, we know that the Georgia election was very likely hacked, because the whole election routed through one server and there's a federal lawsuit over the server records being hacked.

quote:

Lamb also said he determined that computer logs — which would have been critical to understanding what might have been altered on or stolen from the server — only go back to Nov. 10, 2016 — two days after Donald Trump was elected U.S. president. Two years later, Brian Kemp won the Georgia governor’s race by a narrow margin over Democrat Stacey Abrams.

. . .
The fact that the access logs were deleted suggests possible foul play, Lamb wrote.

“I can think of no legitimate reason why records from that critical period of time should have been deleted,” he said in his sworn statement.

https://apnews.com/39dad9d39a7533efe06e0774615a6d05

We also have at least some evidence that that server was targeted by Russian interference:

quote:

This changed on Friday, however, when the Justice Department unsealed the indictment against 12 Russian intelligence officers who oversaw an operation that, the department says, included targeting county websites in Georgia.

On or around Oct. 28, 2016, Anatoliy Sergeyevich Kovalev and Aleksandr Vladimirovich Osadchuk, both officers in the Russian military assigned to Unit 74455, allegedly conspired with others to hack into computers involved in U.S. election administration, according to the complaint. This included scoping out the websites of unidentified counties in Iowa, Florida and Georgia to identify vulnerabilities they could use to access back-end servers. The indictment doesn’t state directly, but implies, that the servers were part of infrastructure for county election offices.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/07/18/mueller-indictments-georgia-voting-infrastructure-219018

The best you can argue is that Russian interference in the election did not provably alter the results. It has not, at this point, been affirmatively proven that Russian interference either did or did not sway the election.

All the other factors you mention did sway the election, sure, but Hillary's defeat had more than one single cause. The election was close enough that anything that shifted the results a hundredth of a percentage point could arguably be a "cause," so all sorts of small effects arguably mattered in a way they normally wouldn't.

edit:

That said, whoops, we're in Book Barn not D&D. I apologize for the derail!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 22, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Not to go all C-SPAM in here, but the Dems ran a bad candidate with a poo poo campaign. Trump brilliantly harnessed the hatred white America has against minorities and poor people. Russian meddling did happen, but it did not influence the outcome.

Not gonna argue that Hillary was a garbage candidate with a bad campaign (because boy howdy she sure was bad), but I do think Russian meddling influenced the outcome enough for Gibson to be able to use it in his book.

There is something inherently fascinating about the father of cyberpunk struggling with our modern world. I need to hurry through Spook Country so I can read his more modern stuff.... but I don't want to hurry because his way with words is so good and I want to savor it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Gibson’s still a good writer but his personal political views are OK Boomer level

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

shrike82 posted:

Gibson’s still a good writer but his personal political views are OK Boomer level

At least I guess he has the excuse of actually being a boomer.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Groke posted:

At least I guess he has the excuse of actually being a boomer.

He’s also a Canadian.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Meanwhile Harry Turtledove found the correct use of twitter:

https://twitter.com/HNTurtledove/status/1219070058711769088

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For just one example, we know that the Georgia election was very likely hacked, because the whole election routed through one server and there's a federal lawsuit over the server records being hacked.

Give credit where it's due. Kemp is an exceptionally corrupt motherfucker and pushing for paperless voting systems that can be wiped and made impossible to properly audit was not a coincidence.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

FuturePastNow posted:

Learning Harry Turtledove is fairly liberal was a tremendous surprise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FuturePastNow posted:

Turtledove wrote a seven book series that was basically "what if both World Wars, but we're the Nazis and we're exterminating blacks?" He doesn't do nuance.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It is pretty obvious if you look closely at most of his work. If I ever unstall my LR thread and get to other books, that would be something I'd point out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tor is trying an old failed marketing gimmick again - and hopefully it'll stick this time. Maybe.

I'm reading A Queen in Hiding by Sarah Kozloff, which is billed as an epic fantasy that will be dropping in the span of four months. I don't have to wait, it's been written, every month a new volume and then it's done. Bam bam bam. I have mixed feelings about this publishing schedule because the last times it's been tried, the books came out and then basically vanished. And I have the reading challenge of reading a 450+ page book a month. (Which isn't really a challenge but that's still a hefty amount to ask for.)

Anyways. I'm fifty pages into it now and it's interesting. Still in the setup period of course - our heroine is eight, so the focus is more on her mother, a young queen who basically sucks at ruling. She's pushed around by her council, no one respects her, and meanwhile a nearby enemy nation is making threatening overtures towards them.

The anime bits: this nation worships water, and queens have magic blue hair. Every queen has a magic power of some sort. The mom has the power to erase memories. Our heroine can talk to animals. The enemy nation worships fire and I presume has red hair for their nobles. Due to cross-breeding between nations everyone has brown hair, and if you have pure colorful hair it means you're a purebred.

Which leads me around to my main complaint: that's one hell of an interesting concept. A member of nobility who can erase memories? If used in secret for intrigue that would be one hell of an interesting thing. Naturally this queen is too naive to do that. :sigh:

Ah well. It's fine fantasy otherwise. Not amazing, but I'm enjoying it and I'll probably check out the sequels as they drop.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jedit posted:

Turtledove wrote a seven book series that was basically "what if both World Wars, but we're the Nazis and we're exterminating blacks?" He doesn't do nuance.

Check his pinned tweet.

https://twitter.com/hnturtledove/status/993990434006286336?s=21

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces) by Harry Connolly - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PYFW9S/

House of Blades by Will Wight - Free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D52X58Y/

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Which leads me around to my main complaint: that's one hell of an interesting concept. A member of nobility who can erase memories? If used in secret for intrigue that would be one hell of an interesting thing. Naturally this queen is too naive to do that. :sigh:

Ah well. It's fine fantasy otherwise. Not amazing, but I'm enjoying it and I'll probably check out the sequels as they drop.

This reminds me of why I probably won't pick up the Winter World sequels. Like I mentioned upthread, it's clumsy and amateurish as far as sci-fi goes, but an interesting and engaging mystery story. But then I finished it, and I realized that the concept–a world overrun by a strange ice age, erasing cities and changing the entire fate of humanity–was just a backdrop. I want to know about the consequences of something like that. How it shapes and forms humanity, but the author just sort of dives into it and then past it, never really exploring it in full.

I'm sure it's explored in the sequels, but the potential of the timeline covered in the first book is still wasted. Also, the author deftly sidesteps exposition about the situation on earth by sending the main characters on two separate trips to space, each lasting months, and on both trips they can't communicate with earth because of plot reasons.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 23, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I've spent today realizing I have a cold (bleh!) and reading Queen in Hiding and now 140~ pages into it I like it a lot more. Our naive queen transformed into a mama bear when she realized her daughter was in danger, learned how to use her memory erasing power to find out who she can trust, and split from the queendom after a neat sequence of events.

I won't say it's the best prose I've ever read but I am enjoying reading this book and if it keeps up this pace and quality I'll happily snap up the rest of it as it drops.

Black Gryphon: yeah that sucks :( Fortunately my book is recovering itself and not wasting potential, but I always hate it when authors have cool ideas and don't properly explore them.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jedit posted:

Turtledove's entire shtick his entire career has been to take history as it actually happened, change one or two things, and publish it as alt history.

American Civil War done as fantasy? Check.
Fantasy about Britain dealing with the disappearance of the Romans? Check.
Basil of Byzantium with the serial numbers filed off? Check.
Alt-history where the Confederates stalemated the US? Check.

...that last series is the one that leads into a trilogy about WW1 followed by a trilogy about WW2, but it's just WW1/WW2 stories with the names changed.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
There's also his series about aliens invading during WWII, which I remember chiefly because I read it in middle school and it had sex scenes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Turtledove's now started publishing a series of unconnected stories in Analog, set in a world where intelligent life on Earth developed from dinosaurs rather than from mammals. The first one, Bonehunters, is a take on the Fossil Wars in the American West. It's interesting but having the Native American parallels be an actual different intelligent dinosaur-descendant species than the colonials was a bit... questionable. The second one, The Quest for the Great Gray Mossy, is a take on Moby Dick, and thankfully doesn't delve too deeply into these more dubious aspects of his worldbuilding.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

wizzardstaff posted:

There's also his series about aliens invading during WWII, which I remember chiefly because I read it in middle school and it had sex scenes.

As with all Turtledove works, they were really bad sex scenes. Even Tom Clancy did a better job when trying.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gnoman posted:

As with all Turtledove works, they were really bad sex scenes. Even Tom Clancy did a better job when trying.

At least the Turtledino tales don't have sex. Yet.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

ulmont posted:

Turtledove's entire shtick his entire career has been to take history as it actually happened, change one or two things, and publish it as alt history.

American Civil War done as fantasy? Check.
Fantasy about Britain dealing with the disappearance of the Romans? Check.
Basil of Byzantium with the serial numbers filed off? Check.
Alt-history where the Confederates stalemated the US? Check.

...that last series is the one that leads into a trilogy about WW1 followed by a trilogy about WW2, but it's just WW1/WW2 stories with the names changed.

He also did WWII as fantasy. It was so .. so so bad. Like 5 books he doesn't once describe what a "behemoth" (tank) actually looks like or anything. It's mind-boggling to me he's a published author.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I did a reread of Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover and I'm kind of amazed that it still holds up.

It's definitely got some dated parts (Kierendal and Berne) but for the most part the action scenes are good, the political commentary isn't stale and the action is really entertaining.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Jedit posted:

God drat that's a good series.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
If I remember right it was a ten-book series. Eleven if you count the 19th-century prequel.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's interesting but having the Native American parallels be an actual different intelligent dinosaur-descendant species than the colonials was a bit... questionable.

Not the first time he's done something like that, he had a book in the 80s where the Americas had been settled only by Neanderthals.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Daughter of the Empire by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TJH5XR/
Oft recommended as the best Riftwar trilogy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pradmer posted:

Daughter of the Empire by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TJH5XR/
Oft recommended as the best Riftwar trilogy.

It is. The handful of times Pug shows up is ok because you get to see Pug passing judgement on the Empire's cruelty at the Warlord's Games from the other side and a better feel for the impact of that event.

e: I think that event is in the 2nd book though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

fritz posted:

Not the first time he's done something like that, he had a book in the 80s where the Americas had been settled only by Neanderthals.

:stare:

Quite.

Funny what you can get away with when you're an established white cis-man who is just liberal enough.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

All Systems Red (Murderbot! book 1) by Martha Wells - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYZ8X5C/
Finally cheap enough I can justify buying it.

The Consuming Fire (Interdependency book 2) by John Scalzi - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078X255Y1/
Contentious series with some liking it and some really hating it. Haven't started it myself.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Sounds like bargain bin Malazan.

I've been reading Marc Turner's Chronicles of the Exile, and that is extremely bargain bin Malazan - convoluted political situation, strange ancient magics popping up and wrecking poo poo/getting their poo poo wrecked, casual interplanar travel, lower-g-gods meddling in human politics, :siren: potsherds :siren:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is it any good, though?
I mean, potsherds aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

shrike82 posted:

Terminal Succ

This is the one thing they can readily identify as a difference between the alternate timelines. All they really know is that "something" happened in 2015 and that "something" was a sociopath from an alternate future messing with the timeline to cause forever wars that spawn ever more advanced military technology.

The book is full of unsubtle indicators that things are not magically better in the alternate present. California's wildfires loom in the background of the opening chapters. The protagonists from the alternate future speak about how the people in the alternate present aren't any happier or more prosperous and that they're all still heading towards calamity.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Not gonna argue that Hillary was a garbage candidate with a bad campaign (because boy howdy she sure was bad), but I do think Russian meddling influenced the outcome enough for Gibson to be able to use it in his book.

There is something inherently fascinating about the father of cyberpunk struggling with our modern world. I need to hurry through Spook Country so I can read his more modern stuff.... but I don't want to hurry because his way with words is so good and I want to savor it.

Russian meddling is also very on theme in a novel about people from the future meddling in alternate pasts through the internet.

You'll adore Agency if you like Spook Country.