Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Fallom posted:

My mom and my boomer coworkers loving loved The Witcher

it's really weird

Henry Cavill is a very good looking man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

wizardofloneliness posted:

Henry Cavill is a very good looking man.

If anything the makeup/contacts obscure it; some random videos with him have been floating up in YouTube and I’m like, this dude is preposterously handsome

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Yea Patriot S2 didn't end on some big cliffhanger or anything but I was definitely looking forward to a season 3 and had the show been more popular, I could see it continuing on.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Fallom posted:

My mom and my boomer coworkers loving loved The Witcher

it's really weird

You know the author is a boomer right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hmmxkrazee posted:

Yea Patriot S2 didn't end on some big cliffhanger or anything but I was definitely looking forward to a season 3 and had the show been more popular, I could see it continuing on.

The only way I could see a third season would be Leslie being a spy, and... now I want it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's not surprising to me at all that the Witcher is popular. That lost Game of Thrones audience needed something to watch. Not that it's really anything like Game of Thrones, but it checks a lot of the same boxes and has mainstream appeal.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I loved patriot but I really could’ve done without the closeups of gross micropenii in season 2

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

It's not surprising to me at all that the Witcher is popular. That lost Game of Thrones audience needed something to watch. Not that it's really anything like Game of Thrones, but it checks a lot of the same boxes and has mainstream appeal.

It’s a lot more about the unambiguous heroism of Geralt though? I haven’t watched it all but based on what I’ve seen/played well he’s no Lannister. And if you read or watched GoT for that then you weren’t paying attention.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Your mom likes the Witcher cuz it’s a cheesy romance with Henry Cavill, the same way that a lot of people started watching Game of Thrones because of the the Khal Drogo scenes. You’re both right in a way.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fantasy is mainstream now I guess.

The Witcher has been fun at least.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Is there any way to check Netflix's numbers? Because they always sound like bullshit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No.

But for the number of subscribers they have, 76 million checking it out sounds about right. If they were claiming that 76 million watched the whole thing it would sound like total bullshit, but they had a big marketing push, it came out right before the holidays, people have a lingering need for more Game of Thrones, the video games are very popular, and Henry Cavill is hot. A lot of people are going to click play and stay long enough for the credits sequence to finish, get a feel for the tone, and hear some dialogue.

The real telling number would be how many people actually started the second episode.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Netflix promotes their new shows as the first thing you see when you pick your profile.

The promotions usually start by just playing the show.

I'm not too impressed with their saying "We made 76 million people look at this thing, and they didn't turn it off within 2 minutes!"

Wow. Congrats. What was the previous record holder? The Ridiculous Six? Dang, what an impressive feat.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Franchescanado posted:

Netflix promotes their new shows as the first thing you see when you pick your profile.

The promotions usually start by just playing the show.

I'm not too impressed with their saying "We made 76 million people look at this thing, and they didn't turn it off within 2 minutes!"

Wow. Congrats. What was the previous record holder? The Ridiculous Six? Dang, what an impressive feat.

They just changed their reporting metrics in time to make this press release.

I'm watching The Witcher now, it's alright I'll finish the season. It just feels like a show that would come on in the mid-90s as some sort of Hercules/Xena power block.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I just finally got around to watching Dark and season 1 was dope as hell. I even convinced someone who dislikes reading subtitles to watch it and now they're hooked and wanting to start season 2 ASAP.

I'd say it's like a German stranger things, but that's selling it short because it's a much better show. 10/10 soundtrack too

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So many people went to Mr. Skin then watched 2 minutes of Witcher.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I haven't seen Witcher but my wife watched and loved it, she hated GOT and only watched a few episodes.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Stevie Lee posted:

I just finally got around to watching Dark and season 1 was dope as hell. I even convinced someone who dislikes reading subtitles to watch it and now they're hooked and wanting to start season 2 ASAP.

I'd say it's like a German stranger things, but that's selling it short because it's a much better show. 10/10 soundtrack too

I really like this show as well. When I watched it it was dubbed in English though, I had subtitles on and they didn't match up to the dialogue which annoyed me so I turned them off.

But yeah still a cool show.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Somebody in this thread said that Witcher S1 felt like an extended prologue and I would agree with that. I guess Netflix is really betting on it for the long haul.

Stevie Lee posted:

Season 2 gets even more out there in ways I can’t get into because it’ll spoil too much. The, uh... scope expands, let’s put it that way.

Based on the last scene, S3 will be even crazier and I really hope they stick to making it the final one because it will be almost unrecognizable from S1 at that point.

Hannah is my favorite character :twisted:

david_a fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 22, 2020

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Speaking of foreign shows, I’m a big dummy who wall watch whatever Netflix puts in my face so I watched the Dutch horror series Ares over the last few days and thought it was pretty good. It’s a typical, “outsider gets involved in a secret society that might be up to supernatural shenanigans” type of story but was a good version of one of those. If you are into those give it a shot. It’s only 8 30ish minute episodes. The ending is pretty wild.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 22, 2020

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Field Mousepad posted:

I really like this show as well. When I watched it it was dubbed in English though, I had subtitles on and they didn't match up to the dialogue which annoyed me so I turned them off.

But yeah still a cool show.

you can change the audio track on Netflix

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

New seasons of Sex Education and Grace and Frankie are up on Netflix!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Thom and the Heads posted:

you can change the audio track on Netflix

Netflix actually changed the default from the dub to the subs for Dark because the dub isn’t great.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

wormil posted:

You know the author is a boomer right?

He was born in communist Poland that’s a weird use of the term “boomer”

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I didn’t see it mentioned but they’ve announced S2 of Altered Carbon with Anthony Mackie taking over the role of Takeshi Kovacs will start streaming on Feb 27th. Haven’t heard anything of the animated version being done by the Cowboy Bebop guy since the initial announcement though.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
If you have any interest in animation please check out Ruben Brandt, Collector on Netflix. It’s an heist film in the vein of Ocean’s 11 set in a world where everyone looks like they’re drawn by Picasso in his cubist phase. It has a lot of fun by riffing on art history, and it makes full use of it’s style for some creative visuals. It’s a good antidote to the obsession a lot of recent animated films have with photorealism.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Apes-Ma posted:

If you have any interest in animation please check out Ruben Brandt, Collector on Netflix. It’s an heist film in the vein of Ocean’s 11 set in a world where everyone looks like they’re drawn by Picasso in his cubist phase. It has a lot of fun by riffing on art history, and it makes full use of it’s style for some creative visuals. It’s a good antidote to the obsession a lot of recent animated films have with photorealism.

Do you mean Hulu?

I'm looking at US Netflix and it's got nothing

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If you keep hitting 'random' on instantwatcher, you sometimes actually find something you forgot you wanted to watch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve been watching movies all week since I’m sick at home and these are the standouts:

American Animals (HBO)
Solid hybrid movie/documentary about a couple of friends trying to perform a heist on their university’s rare book collection. It cuts back and forth between the actual guys doing talking heads and dramatizations of their planning and the actual heist. Stars Evan Peters and Barry Keoghan.

Thoroughbreds (HBO)
Dark comedy about an affluent girl with an abusive stepdad and a sociopathic friend who helps her plan how to kill him. Anton Yelchin (RIP) shows up as a scumbag who they rope into the scheme. Really liked this one. Stars Anya Taylor-Joy and Olivia Cooke.

The Art of Self-Defense (Hulu)
This one really reminded me of The Foot Fist Way at times. Socially inept loner gets mugged one night and takes up karate to boost his “manliness”. Some really funny and very blunt commentary on toxic masculinity. Stars Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots.

The Rover (Netflix)
Really bleak and brooding post-apocalyptic drama about a man trying to get his car back from a gang of robbers after a global economic collapse, set in the Australian outback. Almost like Mad Max as an art house film. Guy Pearce is great in it. Also stars Robert Pattinson and Scoot McNairy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
*deep inhale*

Thoroughbreds

RUUUUUUULES!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna watch that tonight, I've waited long enough. Not sure why I didn't see it before, you've been talking it up in the horror thread all year.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'm gonna watch that tonight, I've waited long enough. Not sure why I didn't see it before, you've been talking it up in the horror thread all year.

Hell yes. I hope you like it. I'm due for a rewatch, myself.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DeimosRising posted:

He was born in communist Poland that’s a weird use of the term “boomer”

Do you actually give a flying gently caress that I used Boomer for people born in the same generation in different countries? I think the issue for the other poster was his mom's age, not her nationality, but if you can convince me otherwise go right ahead.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

As someone with parents born in communist Poland, I can confirm boomerism knows no borders.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Franchescanado posted:

*deep inhale*

Thoroughbreds

RUUUUUUULES!

Yes. Yes it does. It's the most underappreciated film of the past few years, no contest.

Everyone watch Thoroughbreds.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Shot in the Dark (Netflix) - literally a cross between Nightcrawler and COPS, not bad. Trashy.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

precision posted:

Shot in the Dark (Netflix) - literally a cross between Nightcrawler and COPS, not bad. Trashy.

I liked it, I wish there was a second season. That first crash in the first episode, man.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
In the Tall Grass is some primo trash from the creator of Cube and Splice. On Netflix, would rec.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Glottis posted:

it's a Game of Thrones vacuum. People just want another fantasy world after getting the taste from GoT.

it's also way loving better than Game of Thrones ever was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lol no it's not. I like the Witcher and GOT went down the toilet but give me a break.