Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
You've heard of the light side, and the dark side, but frankly speaking nobody cares. The best parts of Star Wars have always been the space dogfights, and the overall quality of a Star Wars film can often be directly correlated to the quality and quantity of said space dogfights. And thanks to talented concept artists like Colin Cantwell, the franchise has been graced by a wide variety of cool and memorable designs of different kinds of starfighters.

So, what are your favorites? Here's some of mine:

MG-100 Star Fortress B/SF-17

I'm going to start this list with a controversial choice, especially since it's not even technically a starfighter. And, yes, the bombing sequence in space makes absolutely zero sense. But here's the thing: at its heart, the original Star Wars films were essentially a World War II movie in space, and the attack on the Death Star was heavily inspired ripped off from WWII gun camera footage and movies like Dambusters. And in that sense, the MG-100 is a perfect fit: It is very, very obviously a space B-17, from its ball-gun turrets to its large, cavernous bomb bay. It's also one of the very few actual new designs from the sequel trilogy that weren't just minor changes to OT ships, so those pity points bring it up in my personal rankings as well.

Incom ARC-170

There's fairly wide agreement that the prequels weren't great films, but that wasn't because of the production design. From the sleek Naboo Starfighter to the nimble Jedi Starfighter, the prequels were filled with awesome starships and other vehicles that helped to greatly expand the overall universe. Of the new ships, my personal favorite is the ARC-170—an obvious in-universe predecessor to the X-Wing, the ARC manages to very neatly fit the sleek, curved Republic era aesthetics into a design that audiences can easily recognize as being reminiscent of the classic X-Wing without being a blatant copy (*cough* T-70 *cough*). The ARC also fills a different role from its successor—whereas the venerable T-65 was a single seat dogfighter, a P-40 or P-51 in space, the ARC-170 is far more akin to a heavy fighter design like the P-61 Black Widow. It's an overall great design, and unfortunately often overlooked due to only appearing briefly in the third movie of a not-great trilogy.

Slayn & Korpil A/SF-01 B-wing starfighter

Probably the most unique of the original trilogy's starfighter designs, in-universe the B-Wing is intended to act as a heavy bomber against enemy capital ships. Featuring a novel rotating cockpit that is as cool as it is completely nonsensical and designed to replace the aging Y-Wing, the B-Wing first saw the silver screen in Return of the Jedi and has been heavily featured in comics, video games, and Rogue Squadron books ever since.

Oh, and fun EU fact: They were designed by Admiral Ackbar! He was truly a renaissance... fish... man.

Incom T-65B X-Wing

It's an X-Wing. You know it. I know it. It's probably illegal to make a list of favorite Star Wars ships without an X-Wing on it, so here it is, with some cool art by this guy

And now, for my favorite Star Wars ship. I present to you, the one, the only...

Colonial Viper MK II

...Wait, hold on, that's not right. Let me try again:

Koensayr BTL-A4 Y-Wing
Art by Andreas Bazylewski

Look, I can't tell you why I love the Y-Wing so much. Even in-canon it's an aging, outdated fighter, often serving as little more than prey for Imperial squadrons. Difficult to maintain and often forced to fly without its signature ion turret, the Y-Wing's sole redeeming factors are that it's cheap, it's tough, and it can carry a lot of ordnance. But aesthetically, the Y-Wing's simple and angular design has always appealed to me, and I relished the chance to fly it in video games like Rogue Squadron and often flew four of them in the modern X-Wing miniatures game.

So goons, what are your favorite Star Wars fighters? And don't say the Skipray Blastboat, that thing is ugly as sin.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like The Last Strarfighter. It has that guy who was in The Music Man, he's a super good actor and he's funny!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

its shiny

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Stop.... don't fighter....

Ezis
Oct 10, 2001

z-95 headhunter

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Proton Torpedo

Utilizing the natural speed and cost efficiency of starfighters versus the capital ships and battle stations they faced, the MG7-A was a prominent and successful chassis. Its maneuverability, compact size, and destructive power made it an excellent ship that contributed toward rebel victories at Naboo, Yavin IV, Endor, and many other battlefields.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm fond of the Eta-2 Actis interceptors from the beginning of ROTS. In the old canon Vader even kept using it with a black paint job after the rise of the Empire.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm fond of the Eta-2 Actis interceptors from the beginning of ROTS. In the old canon Vader even kept using it with a black paint job after the rise of the Empire.

I really like the Eta-2 since, like the ARC-170, they included just enough design elements so you can easily imagine the line of development from AotC Jedi Starfighter -> Eta-2 -> TIE fighter without being too obvious, and allowing the Eta-2 to be its own cool and unique ship.

e:

Asimov posted:

Proton Torpedo

Utilizing the natural speed and cost efficiency of starfighters versus the capital ships and battle stations they faced, the MG7-A was a prominent and successful chassis. Its maneuverability, compact size, and destructive power made it an excellent ship that contributed toward rebel victories at Naboo, Yavin IV, Endor, and many other battlefields.

Ah, a man after my own BOMARC

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

And now, for my favorite Star Wars ship. I present to you, the one, the only...

Koensayr BTL-A4 Y-Wing
Art by Andreas Bazylewski

Look, I can't tell you why I love the Y-Wing so much. Even in-canon it's an aging, outdated fighter, often serving as little more than prey for Imperial squadrons. Difficult to maintain and often forced to fly without its signature ion turret, the Y-Wing's sole redeeming factors are that it's cheap, it's tough, and it can carry a lot of ordnance. But aesthetically, the Y-Wing's simple and angular design has always appealed to me, and I relished the chance to fly it in video games like Rogue Squadron and often flew four of them in the modern X-Wing miniatures game.

Ah yes, good to see a fellow in the art of starfighters.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the greatest crime of the sequels is no y-wings

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

All of these are just a few of my favorite Star Fighters.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I really liked the Dark Empire comic books when they came out and thought the E-Wing was pretty cool

The Assault Gunboat from the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games was also pretty loving dope

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

StashAugustine posted:

the greatest crime of the sequels is no y-wings

:wrong: their greatest crime is being lovely movies.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I forget is that a DIE-wing or a TYE-fighter or what

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

My All-time favorite!

"The TIE defender marks a departure from the normal line of Imperial fighter design. It is one of the few production fighters to be equipped with both a shield generator and hyperdrive system. The Defender mounts considerable firepower in the form of automatic laser cannons which allow it to engage multiple enemies at once. Efficient manuevering thrusters are housed in the three odd shaped solar panels which give the Defender manuverability almost on the level of the TIE Interceptor and the Alliance's A-wing. In all, the Defender is a dangerous adversary to all Alliance fighters."

Description from Star Wars: Rebellion PC game from 1997

Kazimir Vysehrad fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 22, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

the prequels were even shittier but they had cool starships :colbert:

i love this stupid boxy space helicopter

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Iron Crowned posted:

They were lovely movies because they lacked Y-Wings, I agree.

Casu Marzu posted:

I really liked the Dark Empire comic books when they came out and thought the E-Wing was pretty cool

I've always wanted to like the E-Wing, it wants so desperately to be a Colonial Viper but misses the mark just by a hair.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I really like the Eta-2 since, like the ARC-170, they included just enough design elements so you can easily imagine the line of development from AotC Jedi Starfighter -> Eta-2 -> TIE fighter without being too obvious, and allowing the Eta-2 to be its own cool and unique ship.

That was one of the best parts of the design aesthetic for the prequels. Initially everything in the Republic is completely unlike everything you've seen before in Star Wars except for minor details, with Tatooine being the only place that's really similar. Then when the Clone Wars start you get into a lot of stuff that looks like prototypes or early development of Imperial technology, eventually leading to the clones going from Mandalorian helmets to stormtroopers with only a slight design change.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I could kill Super Star Destroyers with this lovely knock-off Falcon.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Incom T-65 X-wing is the fighter that killed the Death Star. An almost perfect balance of speed, maneuverability, and defensive shielding make it the fighter of choice for Rogue Squadron.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

dun na na na na na na y-wings

dun na na na na na na rad

fake edit: bonus b-wing

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

silvergoose posted:

I forget is that a DIE-wing or a TYE-fighter or what

Uglies were a weirdass part of the EU and of course everything has to be a reference to the original poo poo so:

Yeah a cockpit like the millennium falcon had on a b wing cuz reasons

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

chitoryu12 posted:

That was one of the best parts of the design aesthetic for the prequels. Initially everything in the Republic is completely unlike everything you've seen before in Star Wars except for minor details, with Tatooine being the only place that's really similar. Then when the Clone Wars start you get into a lot of stuff that looks like prototypes or early development of Imperial technology, eventually leading to the clones going from Mandalorian helmets to stormtroopers with only a slight design change.

It really is a shame the prequels are what they are, because they did a lot right, especially with the aesthetics. (Also shoutout to the dude who posted the LAAT, was really tempted to post it myself in the OP. Such an awesome ship).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I really appreciated that in Rogue Squadron for the N64 you could unlock the TIE Fighter as a playable ship and goddamn they were fragile.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

this is the high point of the prequels

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZq53GloUhw

This opening sequence of Revenge of the Sith is just so amazing looking and cool to watch, up until the moment characters start talking and then its ruined.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i love the shot of the clones with the straight up WWII naval cannon

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

this is the high point of the prequels

Yep. The level of detail in all of this is so amazing looking. There is a part in this where Anakin and Obi-Wan are flying by windows, and you can see Stormtroopers in them. LucasFilms blew their entire budget and CGI work on this short sequence and that is why the rest of the movie is an incoherent mess.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

i love the shot of the clones with the straight up WWII naval cannon

Yeah, that is one of the things I loved about this battle sequence. It's basically just a World War II pacific ship battle in space.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I said come in! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZq53GloUhw

This opening sequence of Revenge of the Sith is just so amazing looking and cool to watch, up until the moment characters start talking and then its ruined.

:yeah: I think that's the only reason plebs place EP3 as the best of the prequels, because everyone forgets the rest of the movie really sucks

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I want a lego model of the t16 sky hopper even though idk where I’d put it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

the aethersprite is cute :3:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm not gonna say it's my favorite, but I really liked this combination in the Dark Empire comics.

World Devastators, bigass vacuums taht suck up everything on the planet and just churn out:

Drone TIE Fighters

I thought it was a pretty cool idea and was kinda surprised it never really went anywhere else in the EU cuz it makes sense.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

actually the prequels are good and as proof i present the images in this thread

the sequels are garbage for the same reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

cuntman.net posted:

actually the prequels are good and as proof i present the images in this thread

the sequels are garbage for the same reasons

I concur, the prequels, while slow and with convoluted war-on-terror era plots, gave us so much like fleshing out almost every character back stories, cool aesthetics, the clone wars series with are great.

The sequels are a patch work of unlikable one dimensional and new shallow characters, the destruction of well established heroes: luke is a failure, han is still a smuggler 30 years on, and leia is the leader of an extremist militant organisation outlawed by the new republic?, come on!

Also the first order and final order getting mega new ships and walkers and all kind of top of the line poo poo makes no sense if the mayor shipyards are new republic controlled now, like fondor, yaga minor, kuat, etc.

The sequels make very little sense in continuity.