Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i fuckin love the prowler. it is pointy, but not in a bad/trying-too-hard way. it's neither a jet plane in space, nor a pile of spaceship greebles—it is clearly inspired by the lines of a boat, maybe a kayak. they are treated as neither disposable space fight fodder nor as the hero ship type. theyre a fast, maneuverable two-person craft that can shoot things pretty hard, and used only when those are useful traits.

might be the best fighter craft in scifi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kazimir Vysehrad posted:

The sequels are a patch work of unlikable one dimensional and new shallow characters, the destruction of well established heroes: luke is a failure, han is still a smuggler 30 years on, and leia is the leader of an extremist militant organisation outlawed by the new republic?, come on!

Also the first order and final order getting mega new ships and walkers and all kind of top of the line poo poo makes no sense if the mayor shipyards are new republic controlled now, like fondor, yaga minor, kuat, etc.

The sequels make very little sense in continuity.

I just pretend they never happened and gleefully watch The Mandelorian

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Kazimir Vysehrad posted:

I concur, the prequels, while slow and with convoluted war-on-terror era plots, gave us so much like fleshing out almost every character back stories, cool aesthetics, the clone wars series with are great.

The sequels are a patch work of unlikable one dimensional and new shallow characters, the destruction of well established heroes: luke is a failure, han is still a smuggler 30 years on, and leia is the leader of an extremist militant organisation outlawed by the new republic?, come on!

Also the first order and final order getting mega new ships and walkers and all kind of top of the line poo poo makes no sense if the mayor shipyards are new republic controlled now, like fondor, yaga minor, kuat, etc.

The sequels make very little sense in continuity.

i was thinking it was because the new designs are bad and boring but this is important too come to think of it

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I just pretend they never happened and gleefully watch The Mandelorian

Yeah, for peace of mind, i pretend that the sequels are something of an alternative reality-type deal, thankfully that's something that was introduced in the Rebels TV show, so its no impossible to be true star wars-wise.

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

cuntman.net posted:

i was thinking it was because the new designs are bad and boring but this is important too come to think of it

The new designs ARE bad and boring, the same visually identical tie fighters as always, the x wings with only very minor engine updates.

The first order aesthetics also are awful, looks like the designing team just decided that "nah, lets not go in a new bold direction, just make ships look samey as before, but with a more bulky and brutalistic aesthetic".

The only new ship that is not boring is the rebel bomber from TLJ, but it was a shame that it was squandered for a minor plot point.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh poo poo, I just remembered the EU ships that the New Essential Guide finally gave us pictures of.

The Havoc, Nym's stolen prototype fighter/bomber with an energy bomblet generator that can create unlimited bombs:

The Cloakshape, which has canonically been modified with the tail boom so much that people in-universe think it's standard equipment:

I can't get a pic uploaded but https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Inferno_(Vilmarh_Grahrk)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Kazimir Vysehrad posted:

The new designs ARE bad and boring, the same visually identical tie fighters as always, the x wings with only very minor engine updates.

The first order aesthetics also are awful, looks like the designing team just decided that "nah, lets not go in a new bold direction, just make ships look samey as before, but with a more bulky and brutalistic aesthetic".

The only new ship that is not boring is the rebel bomber from TLJ, but it was a shame that it was squandered for a minor plot point.

for all of lucas‘s terrible decisions, he knew exactly what he wanted to do aesthetically in each movie, and why. in the classic trilogy, jedi and leia level things are fairy tale middle ages stuff mixed with samurai. it’s mysterious and magical, but also the dark age after the fall of a great republic. it absolutely nails that.

at the same time, armies and spaceships are world wars. consistently. they are mechanized meatgrinder fights where you barely acknowledge the opposing side’s humanity. it's bombastic and fuckin rad, visually

in the prequels, the jedi level stuff is decadent rome. you get a nice swords-&-sandals setpiece in each: ep1 has a ben hur chariot race; ep2 has a gladiatorial arena. ep3 is the fall of the great republic into the empire, and you have the jedi trying to kill the chancellor—it’s the assassination of caesar. it's not always pulled off perfectly, but it’s always at least evident to the audience what lucas is trying to do

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the sequels tho, they dont have any coherent idea of what the historical parallel they might want to evoke. the only thing they try to look like is the original trilogy

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kazimir Vysehrad posted:

Yeah, for peace of mind, i pretend that the sequels are something of an alternative reality-type deal, thankfully that's something that was introduced in the Rebels TV show, so its no impossible to be true star wars-wise.

The existence of a separate Legends continuity for the old EU means that technically you're right! It's two separate timelines and you can choose which one you care about more. They're just unfortunately not making any more works for it, so a lot of stuff ended unresolved.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Squizzle posted:

the sequels tho, they dont have any coherent idea of what the historical parallel they might want to evoke. the only thing they try to look like is the original trilogy

EXACTLY THIS

sequels acknowledge nothing except “hurrrrrrr star wars :hurr:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Squizzle posted:

for all of lucas‘s terrible decisions, he knew exactly what he wanted to do aesthetically in each movie, and why. in the classic trilogy, jedi and leia level things are fairy tale middle ages stuff mixed with samurai. it’s mysterious and magical, but also the dark age after the fall of a great republic. it absolutely nails that.

at the same time, armies and spaceships are world wars. consistently. they are mechanized meatgrinder fights where you barely acknowledge the opposing side’s humanity. it's bombastic and fuckin rad, visually

in the prequels, the jedi level stuff is decadent rome. you get a nice swords-&-sandals setpiece in each: ep1 has a ben hur chariot race; ep2 has a gladiatorial arena. ep3 is the fall of the great republic into the empire, and you have the jedi trying to kill the chancellor—it’s the assassination of caesar. it's not always pulled off perfectly, but it’s always at least evident to the audience what lucas is trying to do

As an example of Lucas's design decisions, the ELG-3A blaster pistol used on Naboo was turned from a sketch by him into a practical prop the same day. He's one of the most godawful writers of dialogue in film history, but he'll always come up with something unique design-wise. He could have been a great designer behind the scenes if he didn't get into writing and directing.

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

Squizzle posted:

Yeah, i think this is the really the weakest point from the sequels, that there is no clear cut historical analogy for the premise, just "actually forget ROFJ, the empire never died, and our heroes are actuality incompetent buffoons, lets re-do the cold war mujaheddin vs soviet union history line as before because kids this days just wont notice"

Its just so disappointing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The one good thing to come out of the sequels is the U-Wing Gunship

There's something about it that I really like. It's sleek but also kinda beefy looking, and the scene of the door Gunner laying down fire as it dropped off troops was cool.

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

Who What Now posted:

There's something about it that I really like. It's sleek but also kinda beefy looking, and the scene of the door Gunner laying down fire as it dropped off troops was cool.

Rogue One is actually a great movie, looking forward for the tv series.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Who What Now posted:

the weird hang glider tie fighter from that movie was good too

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

cool as heck

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Squizzle posted:

and the end of Phantom Menace is pretty clearly a triumph, complete with gate.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
My favorite though is the Starviper

I had a toy of one as a kid and it was rad as hell

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

El Burbo posted:

cool as heck

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
For all the EU stuff/Legends stuff that has aged poorly but I love, the Sun Crusher is #1.

A) literally loving invulnerable. You shoot at it? Okay cool that's nice, you took out the turbolasers, how about we just ram you
B) blows up entire solar systems because gently caress you, that's why
C) Wedge finally got laid because of it, technically

For less cheeseball but equally oddball, the Missile Boat is a fave as well. Go fast, hit hard, hit often. Also it had a really nifty sort of squat, utilitarian design that stood out.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

MJP posted:

For all the EU stuff/Legends stuff that has aged poorly but I love, the Sun Crusher is #1.

A) literally loving invulnerable. You shoot at it? Okay cool that's nice, you took out the turbolasers, how about we just ram you
B) blows up entire solar systems because gently caress you, that's why
C) Wedge finally got laid because of it, technically

For less cheeseball but equally oddball, the Missile Boat is a fave as well. Go fast, hit hard, hit often. Also it had a really nifty sort of squat, utilitarian design that stood out.

I love how it just kinda bloops out balls of star killing plasma out of a satellite dish on the bottom

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kazimir Vysehrad posted:

Rogue One is actually a great movie, looking forward for the tv series.

I'm excited to see how the Cassian series is presented. Mandalorian has had huge success throwing out the Star Wars formula and making a full on western, so maybe they'll do a Star Wars take on 24 or The Bourne Identity?

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm excited to see how the Cassian series is presented. Mandalorian has had huge success throwing out the Star Wars formula and making a full on western, so maybe they'll do a Star Wars take on 24 or The Bourne Identity?

I think i would be a "mature" take on themes touched by SW Rebels, but (hopefully) without the Force, as in the formation of rebel cells, missions of sabotage of imperial targets, assassinations, working with seedy characters for mutual gain, many morally gray stuff of "does the end (overthrow the empire) justify the means? (terrorist bombings)"

There is plenty of opportunities there.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kazimir Vysehrad posted:

I think i would be a "mature" take on themes touched by SW Rebels, but (hopefully) without the Force, as in the formation of rebel cells, missions of sabotage of imperial targets, assassinations, working with seedy characters for mutual gain, many morally gray stuff of "does the end (overthrow the empire) justify the means? (terrorist bombings)"

There is plenty of opportunities there.

Star Wars meets Ronin (the '98 film)

Cassian's Eleven

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Rebel

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Y-wing is the A-10 of the Star Wars verse and I will not accept any other arguments.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

The Y-wing is the A-10 of the Star Wars verse and I will not accept any other arguments.

Someone needs to introduce you to the actual Star Wars A-10, the K-Wing. i only know of it from the X-Wing Miniatures game, fucker has literally 13 hardpoints and was explicitly designed to fill the Y-wing niche. The only real outlier is that it's got the ability to SLAM and go fast, which is not an A-10 thing at all

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

As an example of Lucas's design decisions, the ELG-3A blaster pistol used on Naboo was turned from a sketch by him into a practical prop the same day. He's one of the most godawful writers of dialogue in film history, but he'll always come up with something unique design-wise. He could have been a great designer behind the scenes if he didn't get into writing and directing.

it's not just design—he can write and direct around strong themes, but his actual nuts and bolts narrative skill is fuckin absent

the prequels are all about liberal institutions that morally compromise themselves into oppressive empire. the trade federation is like the dutch, or portuguese, or british mercantile fleets—that became the backbones of colonial empires. the republic senate is the roman senate—which gave rise to the empire. the clone army are cold war era draftees in our stop-the-commies wars in asia—which were really about the projection and enforcement of american imperial power. and it turns out that no matter how much they appear to be in conflict, they are all working to empower the same imperial evil

the senate protests the creation of the army but allows it and later votes emergency powers to palpatine. the trade federation is working for palps and joins up into the alliance of capital interests that is the confederacy, which are under the command of sidious/palpatine. the army itself is directly answerable to palpatine, as seen by order 66

the entire trilogy has good, strong themes, but they are so poorly assembled into actual movies that it's difficult to see them sometimes

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the prequels also have a lot of really interesting things to say about how evil will exploit or destroy children, or at least how once you start to exploit or hurt children you are on the road to collapse. but lucas can't tell a fuckin story to save his life

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Who What Now posted:

oooooo

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I want a lego model of the t16 sky hopper even though idk where I’d put it

https://brickset.com/sets/75081-1/T-16-Skyhopper

https://brickset.com/sets/75265-1/T-16-Skyhopper-vs-Bantha-Microfighters

The last one is new and pretty small!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The YT 2000 Otana is the best and the game it’s from is also the best come fight me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ooh! I can get behind a lego bantha

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Uh excuse me

How can one thread be so wrong?

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011

Kazimir Vysehrad posted:

My All-time favorite!

"The TIE defender marks a departure from the normal line of Imperial fighter design. It is one of the few production fighters to be equipped with both a shield generator and hyperdrive system. The Defender mounts considerable firepower in the form of automatic laser cannons which allow it to engage multiple enemies at once. Efficient manuevering thrusters are housed in the three odd shaped solar panels which give the Defender manuverability almost on the level of the TIE Interceptor and the Alliance's A-wing. In all, the Defender is a dangerous adversary to all Alliance fighters."

Description from Star Wars: Rebellion PC game from 1997

This right here is the correct answer.

or the Missle Boat for some SLAM action.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

dupersaurus posted:

Uh excuse me

a wing suuuuucks

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

dupersaurus posted:

Uh excuse me

A-Wings are rad as hell, I just like B-Wings a liiiiittle bit more

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Jedi Starfighters are rad, but I can't believe nobody has mentioned the TIE Interceptor.

It's got dagger wings, like, how can you not like this?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's so good about B-wings exactly and also do they actually appear in any of the movies

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Kazimir Vysehrad posted:

, the destruction of well established heroes: luke is a failure, han is still a smuggler 30 years on, and leia is the leader of an extremist militant organisation outlawed by the new republic?, come on!

whatever else you say, this actually the best part of the sequels

zoux posted:

What's so good about B-wings exactly and also do they actually appear in any of the movies

yes in episode 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

you gotta say it “bwing” instead of “bee wing” and suddenly it’s great