Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks rose.

I worry for the dude, his doctor changed up his meds about 6 months ago and he is honestly doing rather well, I hope he does well in his classes. he s doing both together.

VVV hes doing both linux+ and network+ at the same time.

Ups_rail fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
To each their own but I would start with Network+ to learn how networks work and the basics. If you don't know networking, some of the Linux stuff may be confusing.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Plan: Go to sleep early to be well rested. Go over problem areas a few hours before the exam.
Execution: Wake up after a few hours and stay awake through the night because of anxiety. Start to fall asleep a few hours before the exam.

Still passed the A+ 220-1001. 220-1002 here I come

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
So with the impending changes to the Cisco certifications starting to draw near, I went back to look at all the details, and I think there's something major that I and maybe others haven't noticed. I'm pulling primarily from here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en_us/training-events/training-certification-faqs.pdf

If I'm reading this right, here are some major takeaways that I think people haven't really understood:

• I think most people already know that there will only be one CCNA exam, no specializations at that level. It will include some R&S stuff, some security stuff, some network automation stuff. What I don't think they know is, CCNA will not be a prerequisite for any of the CCNP exams. If you want to keep renewing your CCNA -- if, say, your job requires a certain number of CCNAs on staff to remain a Cisco partner -- that option is available to you, although you can now fulfill that renewal with continuing education credits. But otherwise, if you don't care about maintaining your CCNA, you can let it expire without impacting your ability to pursue later certifications.

• Everyone knows by now that the CCNP certs are down to two tests instead of three -- one Core exam and one elective -- but according to the documentation, pricing on the exams is also being reduced.

• Another big one: apparently the CCNP core exams are the same as the CCIE core exams. So if you've already passed, say, CCNP Enterprise Core and your elective for your CCNP Enterprise, you could go straight to the CCIE lab if you wanted to continue down that path. (It does have to be active, so you'd have to renew the CCNP -- or just take the Core exam again instead -- if you don't do the CCIE lab within 3 years.)

This is huge for me and I think for a lot of people, especially the first one. I'm sure it's a business decision on Cisco's part -- less money per exam but more people taking them, fear of competitors like Juniper eating their lunch, and so on -- but I think it's also a huge win for certification candidates. I've been waiting for the new material to drop so I can start studying in earnest for CCNP Enterprise Core to renew my CCNA, but I'd only have had a little over a year to pass it or my CCNA would expire, and I was wondering if I should consider doing a different CCNA exam instead (I hadn't realized they were doing away with the different CCNA tracks). But I don't actually care about maintaining my CCNA except as a path to CCNP, so now that time pressure is just... gone, which is a huge worry I just don't need to have anymore.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I forgot to post here, but a few weeks back I passed the OSCP on my first attempt! It was a wild test. Stressful and exhausting, but also fun in a way.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Anyone have an up to date link for CCNP continuing education requirements after February? It is listed in the new cert material but I can only find CCIE continuing education information and I'm not sure if it is the same or how to schedule classes, etc.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Bigass Moth posted:

Anyone have an up to date link for CCNP continuing education requirements after February? It is listed in the new cert material but I can only find CCIE continuing education information and I'm not sure if it is the same or how to schedule classes, etc.

They're widening the CCIE CE program to CCNA and CCNP, but that isn't going into effect until Feb 24th. I'd check the CE site after that date.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Where can I find the best/most relevant practice tests for the A+ and N+?

I’ve done some google searches and found some but I don’t really know enough to be able to tell if they’re helpful or not.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I did A+ and Net+ in 2018 and found Professer Messer's stuff to be very clear and easy to understand.

https://www.professormesser.com/

He has the entire training video series for free on his YouTube or you can pay a few bucks and get study guides, practice tests and all that stuff.

edit: I don't know if he has practice quizzes that a similar to the actual tests so I guess that doesn't answer your question :/

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 22, 2020

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

So I'm submitting requests for yearly training and I'm stuck on prioritization. I'm currently a senior security architect at a large enterprise and this is what I've come up...

SEC560 (GPEN) Network Penetration Testing (live training) - ~$7k
SEC530 (GDSA) Defensible Security Architecture (live training) - ~$7k
SEC545 Cloud Security Architecture and Operations (live training) - ~$6k
CISSP-ISSAP – Post-CISSP concentration in Security Architecture (self-paced) - ~$2k

GPEN is in my personal wheelhouse but it's probably less applicable to my daily responsibilities so I'd need to value case that one. Anyone have experience with SEC530 or 545 and can tell me the relative value from a knowledge standpoint? I'm less concerned with value via HR filtering although it's probably still a consideration.

ISSAP would be the least interesting and I've read a ton on the lack of adequate training materials so that's putting me off.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

What book have people here used when studying for their CISSP?

I've got the latest Shon Harris book, and it drag on and on at points. It just goes into such depth on things. Maybe I'm better off for that in the long run but my god is it a slog.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

FCKGW posted:

I did A+ and Net+ in 2018 and found Professer Messer's stuff to be very clear and easy to understand.

https://www.professormesser.com/

He has the entire training video series for free on his YouTube or you can pay a few bucks and get study guides, practice tests and all that stuff.

edit: I don't know if he has practice quizzes that a similar to the actual tests so I guess that doesn't answer your question :/

Thank you, I’ll go through it with everything else.

At this point I guess I should just do all the practice tests I can find on the internet. Some are bound to be helpful.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm writing my GCP associate cloud engineer exam next week. Any tips?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

dkj posted:

Thank you, I’ll go through it with everything else.

At this point I guess I should just do all the practice tests I can find on the internet. Some are bound to be helpful.

Unless the practice tests you find are particularly fancy, they may not simulate any of the "interactive" questions that are on the A+ (and maybe N+) exam. When I took the 220-1001 last week there were three questions where I was given a simulation and asked to configure devices to meet the listed requirements. If you're comfortable with the material you probably won't have much trouble with them, but it threw me for a bit since I had only practiced multiple choice/answer style questions.

Here's an example https://simulation.comptia.org/

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

Unless the practice tests you find are particularly fancy, they may not simulate any of the "interactive" questions that are on the A+ (and maybe N+) exam. When I took the 220-1001 last week there were three questions where I was given a simulation and asked to configure devices to meet the listed requirements. If you're comfortable with the material you probably won't have much trouble with them, but it threw me for a bit since I had only practiced multiple choice/answer style questions.

Here's an example https://simulation.comptia.org/

That is helpful, I hadn’t seen any mention of these types of questions.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

I don't think its intentional but if you can identity why FF and Chrome throw an error when you access this site now, you should get extra credit.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BaseballPCHiker posted:

What book have people here used when studying for their CISSP?

I've got the latest Shon Harris book, and it drag on and on at points. It just goes into such depth on things. Maybe I'm better off for that in the long run but my god is it a slog.

The Sybex book + Sunflower guide worked well for me.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I used 11th Hour CISSP, the sunflower guide as a reference, and the official CISSP Practice Questions book.

No need to slog through 1200 pages.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
I am beginning to question if it's worth it to grab the CCENT if I'm already a tier up from helpdesk and our current Network Admin is well aware I am competent... I just need to learn ASA stuff to be really useful right now (he's actually overloaded with redoing our entire infrastructure because of some really bad ex-admins planning and decision making).

I'm confident in my ICND1 knowledge that I could pass the exam at this point or at least come very close. Not enough to get the ICND2 crammed and done before the new certs roll out though.

Work will pay for the exam but I also don't want to waste budget if I don't have to and just put it towards the new study materials instead.

I've been using the Pearson VUE exam prep that comes with Odoms book, is that a good idea of what the exam will be like minus the sim stuff of course?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Yes, even if it's only to give you credit towards a future CCNA

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Vadun posted:

Yes, even if it's only to give you credit towards a future CCNA

The CCENT won't be offered after Feb 23rd, and it also won't count for 1/2 of a "new" CCNA.

If you've been studying for the CCENT, I'd go for it. It'll be something to put on your resume, and you'll be able to build off the knowledge for when you eventually go for the new CCNA.

e. As for the Pearson VUE practice exams, they're ok but their questions aren't as "cisco-y" as you'll get on the exam. I found the Boson practice exams to much more closely represent the actual exam's feel and question style.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 26, 2020

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
You should never feel bad about having your employer cover a $165 voucher and if that is enough to impact the budget in a company that is presumingly running Cisco equipment, you should go for the test and try to jump ship immediately.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Speaking of CISSP, how am I supposed to get the 5 years experience when every job in the infosec space requires the cert and/or previous experience?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Speaking of CISSP, how am I supposed to get the 5 years experience when every job in the infosec space requires the cert and/or previous experience?

By filing "touched a firewall on the helpdesk" under "security experience"

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sixfools posted:

I am beginning to question if it's worth it to grab the CCENT if I'm already a tier up from helpdesk and our current Network Admin is well aware I am competent... I just need to learn ASA stuff to be really useful right now (he's actually overloaded with redoing our entire infrastructure because of some really bad ex-admins planning and decision making).

I'm confident in my ICND1 knowledge that I could pass the exam at this point or at least come very close. Not enough to get the ICND2 crammed and done before the new certs roll out though.

Work will pay for the exam but I also don't want to waste budget if I don't have to and just put it towards the new study materials instead.

I've been using the Pearson VUE exam prep that comes with Odoms book, is that a good idea of what the exam will be like minus the sim stuff of course?

Just so you're aware, the CCENT/CCNA exams wont even touch firewall/ASDM stuff so you wont need to study for that for your test.

Keep studying. Spanning-tree, EIGRP, OSPF, etc wont change between now and the new test and that will all still be covered.

I really liked the Boson practice exams when I was studying for my CCNA.

CrackHoor
Aug 5, 2005
Trophy Wives Mounted

Renegret posted:

I'd go as far to say that if it takes you 8 months you're doing something wrong.

e: to clarify, my big fear in taking a cert slow is that by the time you reach the end of the book, you now forgot everything from the beginning. At a reasonable pace and going in completely blind, you could be done with a CCNA in under 4 months. Any slower than that and you run the risk of spending too much time having to refresh yourself on the minutiae.

I’m going back to June for this quote but I wanted to thank you for the kick in the rear end I needed. I was two weeks into CCNA study (already bought my textbooks and a Udemy course) when the cert revamp was announced. With a full time job and lil baby at home my time to study was limited but I scheduled time every night and passed ICND1 at the end of August and ICND2 on Monday.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Passed the A+ 220-1002 exam today (and the 220-1001 two weeks ago). I hadn't fully memorized the CompTIA way of troubleshooting so I struggled a bit with those kinds of questions, but overall felt pretty good about it. Did most of my studying through uCertify, the "Complete Review Guide" (ISBN 978-1119516958), and "Complete Practice Tests" (978-1119516972). Found the books to be a lot more beneficial than uCertify, especially in terms of the practice tests.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I’m waiting on the cisco certification change over to start working towards CCNP enterprise.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DropsySufferer posted:

I’m waiting on the cisco certification change over to start working towards CCNP enterprise.

Can't you buy the books now? I've had the CCNA books since November, with volume 2 released in December.

(Have I read them yet? No :effort:)

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

skooma512 posted:

Can't you buy the books now?

That’s a good question I assumed the new books wouldn’t be released until end of feb?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

skooma512 posted:

Can't you buy the books now? I've had the CCNA books since November, with volume 2 released in December.

(Have I read them yet? No :effort:)

http://www.ciscopress.com/promotions/new-cisco-certifications-142035
ENCOR is out now, ENARSI will come out in March. The combined set is also scheduled for March. If you plan to preorder from this site, the "NEWCERT" coupon code will give you 35% off.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CrackHoor posted:

I’m going back to June for this quote but I wanted to thank you for the kick in the rear end I needed. I was two weeks into CCNA study (already bought my textbooks and a Udemy course) when the cert revamp was announced. With a full time job and lil baby at home my time to study was limited but I scheduled time every night and passed ICND1 at the end of August and ICND2 on Monday.

Congratulations! Are you working in networking now?

Actuarial Fables posted:

Passed the A+ 220-1002 exam today (and the 220-1001 two weeks ago). I hadn't fully memorized the CompTIA way of troubleshooting so I struggled a bit with those kinds of questions, but overall felt pretty good about it. Did most of my studying through uCertify, the "Complete Review Guide" (ISBN 978-1119516958), and "Complete Practice Tests" (978-1119516972). Found the books to be a lot more beneficial than uCertify, especially in terms of the practice tests.

A+ is a good first step. Where do you want to go from here?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

BaseballPCHiker posted:

A+ is a good first step. Where do you want to go from here?

I actually have a CCNA R/S cert too :shobon:. The A+ was required for my WGU degree, but it was nice to get back into the cert study mindset. Eventually I'll get back into the workforce and do networking stuff again.

e. Maybe sooner than expected because my previous employer is down to two techs now, and one is going on vacation soon.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 31, 2020

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Actuarial Fables posted:

I actually have a CCNA R/S cert too :shobon:. The A+ was required for my WGU degree, but it was nice to get back into the cert study mindset. Eventually I'll get back into the workforce and do networking stuff again.

e. Maybe sooner than expected because my previous employer is down to two techs now, and one is going on vacation soon.

Ah well poo poo there you go.

I was actually looking into WGU as well. Specifically for their networking degree. My thought was to load up on all of the certs that I could have work pay for ahead of time before enrolling, because if Im reading things right, they would transfer in as credits. Is that correct? Or like you dont need to take courses and can finish quicker if you already have a relevant cert?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I was actually looking into WGU as well. Specifically for their networking degree. My thought was to load up on all of the certs that I could have work pay for ahead of time before enrolling, because if Im reading things right, they would transfer in as credits. Is that correct? Or like you dont need to take courses and can finish quicker if you already have a relevant cert?

That's correct. For example, if you have the A+ cert then it'll count for both the IT Foundations and the IT Applications classes as transfer credit. They also do regular transfer credits from prior colleges/universities, so if you have an associates or have done a smattering of community college classes you can reduce your overall course load and graduate sooner.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The Net+ basically fulfilled the requirements to get enrolled there since my college history is so small. I think it's a decent system.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

CrackHoor posted:

I'm understanding that completely. I had started last summer and got so swept up in work and a stressful move, I had to rereview everything by the fall when the busy season was over. I finally booked the ICND1 for the 15th and I am kinda pissed at myself for not doing it sooner because now I have to drive an extra ~2 hours to the only places available mid-Febuary onwards. At least with my new position at work, I can just turn on Pluralsight on another monitor for review and not worry about interruptions.

BaseballPCHiker, I know :( having access to ASDM and being able to look at things did get me interested and motivated to learn more though. Even if it was mostly just tunnel kicking that I was regulated too at the help desk level.

CrackHoor
Aug 5, 2005
Trophy Wives Mounted

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Congratulations! Are you working in networking now?

I'm a telecom technician so a lot of my work is done alongside network guys setting up QoS, VLANs, VPNs, all that stuff. I've kinda just learned as I've needed to, but I liked the idea of formalizing some of that knowledge. It also helps me keep current with the new guys who have some IT certs when they start. I didn't tell anybody at work that I was doing it, just poked my head into the boss' office on Tuesday and said "Oh, by the way, I wrote my CCNA test yesterday so I've got that now".

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Passing the actual certification exam is the requirement to pass some of the classes so if you have your cert already it counts as transfer credits. The program includes vouchers for taking the exams (i believe two free per class, and then like $50 for each after that) so if you can get most of your tuition covered it may be worth just starting now.

I'm trying to decide if I want to sit the CCNP: switch again before the deadline. I took three practice exams from different sources before my last attempt, getting over 80% first try on each but the actual exam's multiple choice are the most obscure and useless questions. Especially compared to the sims that any administrator who has ever configured a switch before should be able to answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Shoutout to the dude I chatted with about networking on the Portland TriMet for like an hour this morning. I'm not entirely sure you're a goon, only 99.9%. :v: