Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ilkhan posted:

Jayztwocents has some good YouTube videos, and ekwb has good manufacturer info on components and what is needed. Otherwise questions in here will do, ask away.

Oh, EKWB has a great configurator that I'm playing with. This gets less daunting as I go on

Edit: oh dear that's over $600 oh my

Edit 2: Adding everything to my cart brings it down to $500, must not calculate sales in the configurator. Not gonna buy soon definitely but that's good to know

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A custom loop gets pretty expensive, but most of the components can be reused through many computer upgrades. Especially nowadays when you don't have a new style of cooler mount with every CPU generation. So it's more of an investment than a cost.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Collateral Damage posted:

A custom loop gets pretty expensive, but most of the components can be reused through many computer upgrades. Especially nowadays when you don't have a new style of cooler mount with every CPU generation. So it's more of an investment than a cost.

That's true. I really want to do it but I keep thinking I have a perfectly good cooling system going now. Even if I'm backwards (air cooled CPU/water cooled GPU).

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

That's true. I really want to do it but I keep thinking I have a perfectly good cooling system going now. Even if I'm backwards (air cooled CPU/water cooled GPU).

That’s how I would do it. GPU puts off way more heat than cpu.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Another quick question. It occurred to me that I have a few spare Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-12 fans. Would I be at any disadvantage running these over EKWB's EK-Vardar EVO 120ER?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Another quick question. It occurred to me that I have a few spare Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-12 fans. Would I be at any disadvantage running these over EKWB's EK-Vardar EVO 120ER?
I think they should be fine, almost any fan of that class will do the job and the primary concern should be throttle range and noise.

The Vardars are decent high static pressure fans but I'll be honest and say I was less than impressed with mine, I had 3 of the 140MM ones and one of them started to squeak after only a year of use. I eventually replaced them with the black noctua fans which are a little quieter and perform just as well.

The thing to keep in mind about water cooling, or really all cooler types is thermal resistance increases as the temperature delta between what's being cooled and the ambient temperature decreases. So basically the closer to room temperature something is, the harder it is to remove heat from it. And that also means the further above room temperature something is, the easier it is to remove heat from it. So at less than a 10C temperature delta it is extremely difficult to improve the performance of a radiator, but past 10C it becomes extremely difficult to make it get any hotter because these things can dump insane amounts of energy once they cross that threshold. The fan throttle on my radiator has next to zero impact on my full load (~375w) temperatures, but turning on my room air conditioning almost immediately results in a matching coolant temperature drop regardless of the fans or their throttles.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

I think they should be fine, almost any fan of that class will do the job and the primary concern should be throttle range and noise.

The Vardars are decent high static pressure fans but I'll be honest and say I was less than impressed with mine, I had 3 of the 140MM ones and one of them started to squeak after only a year of use. I eventually replaced them with the black noctua fans which are a little quieter and perform just as well.

The thing to keep in mind about water cooling, or really all cooler types is thermal resistance increases as the temperature delta between what's being cooled and the ambient temperature decreases. So basically the closer to room temperature something is, the harder it is to remove heat from it. And that also means the further above room temperature something is, the easier it is to remove heat from it. So at less than a 10C temperature delta it is extremely difficult to improve the performance of a radiator, but past 10C it becomes extremely difficult to make it get any hotter because these things can dump insane amounts of energy once they cross that threshold. The fan throttle on my radiator has next to zero impact on my full load (~375w) temperatures, but turning on my room air conditioning almost immediately results in a matching coolant temperature drop regardless of the fans or their throttles.

That's good to hear, that can save me a few bucks and actually put them to use

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The Vardars have an annoying whine to them. I ditched them pretty quickly. I went for the A12x25 from Noctua, which is the other extreme (because $$$).

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
These phantek fans are also a good option, pretty close to the noctua a12x25 but not quite as quiet at higher RPMs.

https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-Pressure-Radiator-Cooling-PH-F120MP_BK_PWM/dp/B00OP2PUB8

I ended up with the noctuas because I’m a noise freak but they were very good for the price.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Vardars have an annoying whine to them. I ditched them pretty quickly. I went for the A12x25 from Noctua, which is the other extreme (because $$$).

Same with the Coolermaster high pressure fans. Incredibly annoying buzz/whine. Ditched em.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does anyone make a pump/block combo that doesn't need a reservoir like an AIO but probably better than any AIO? I want to do custom tubing in a SFF but instead of cutting up an AIO I thought it would be better to just go custom, no?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Shaocaholica posted:

Does anyone make a pump/block combo that doesn't need a reservoir like an AIO but probably better than any AIO? I want to do custom tubing in a SFF but instead of cutting up an AIO I thought it would be better to just go custom, no?

Check out Alphacool’s Eisbaer line. There’s a pump/block thing and the rads also use quick disconnects to make filling and moving things around really easy.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Is water cooling still super expensive?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

curiousCat posted:

Is water cooling still super expensive?

Yes

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Shaocaholica posted:

EKWB canned their MLC Phoenix line, which has the pump/res integrated into the radiator and allows for blocks to be added modularly through quick disconnects. I mention it only because all the components are being sold at like 40% off on EK's web store.

I actually bought the 360 rad, CPU block and a GPU block when it was at full retail price and it's really good gear if you're not doing a build for aesthetics.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shaocaholica posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHLMQiPLN4

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a custom loop in a Fractal Design Nano S. It's worked pretty well for two years, but I've been annoyed at how hard it is to bleed and there isn't a lot of clearance around the top of the case where I mounted the radiator.

So I've been thinking about putting the radiator outside the case by building a box that the PC can stand on top of, where I'd have the radiator standing on its long edge with a side to side airflow. As a bonus I'd be able to use a thicker 360 rad instead of the slim 240 I have now.

Anyone done an external rad setup like this before?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I have a custom loop in a Fractal Design Nano S. It's worked pretty well for two years, but I've been annoyed at how hard it is to bleed and there isn't a lot of clearance around the top of the case where I mounted the radiator.

So I've been thinking about putting the radiator outside the case by building a box that the PC can stand on top of, where I'd have the radiator standing on its long edge with a side to side airflow. As a bonus I'd be able to use a thicker 360 rad instead of the slim 240 I have now.

Been looking at stuff like this, haven’t done it. Alpha cool has the eiswand if you want something out the box.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

I mean honestly if you are looking at the idea of external boxes, why not go whole hog with a junkyard radiator and get passive cooling out of it?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I still want it to be somewhat compact, otherwise I could have just gotten an ATX case with a radiator chamber to begin with. :)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I have a Nano S sitting in the garage, empty and never built. Still considering going with an S2 instead when I rebuild my desktop next.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hello. I bought Corsair H55 and NZXT Kraken G12 to make my GPU actually quiet. It performs really well but the pump makes loud af buzzing noise that is super annoying, at idle it's now way louder than stock cooling. I can hear the buzzing from the other side of the room 4 meters away.
I found this thread with Corsair employees telling someone it's normal:
https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=990682
https://youtu.be/B_w0TYafOSE
No way this loud buzz is normal if so many use AIOs for silence focused builds.

GPU thread suggested to RMA it and so I did that. Got it back just 4 days later with a paper telling me they didn't find any issues.
I did even more testing myself. Tried it on the normal fan headers set to DC mode at 100% power, same thing. Tried running it at various angles, no difference. So what should I do? Is this really normal? My mobo is Asus Strix B450-F.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Sininu posted:

Hello. I bought Corsair H55 and NZXT Kraken G12 to make my GPU actually quiet. It performs really well but the pump makes loud af buzzing noise that is super annoying, at idle it's now way louder than stock cooling. I can hear the buzzing from the other side of the room 4 meters away.
I found this thread with Corsair employees telling someone it's normal:
https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=990682
https://youtu.be/B_w0TYafOSE
No way this loud buzz is normal if so many use AIOs for silence focused builds.

GPU thread suggested to RMA it and so I did that. Got it back just 4 days later with a paper telling me they didn't find any issues.
I did even more testing myself. Tried it on the normal fan headers set to DC mode at 100% power, same thing. Tried running it at various angles, no difference. So what should I do? Is this really normal? My mobo is Asus Strix B450-F.

Hm. Yeah my pump doesn't sound like that at all, running on full. I took a short video of mine running in-game and muted. Can't hear anything sitting normally, can only hear the coil whine or the G12 fan when you get close:

https://imgur.com/gok6NBY

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Hm. Yeah my pump doesn't sound like that at all, running on full. I took a short video of mine running in-game and muted. Can't hear anything sitting normally, can only hear the coil whine or the G12 fan when you get close:

https://imgur.com/gok6NBY

Your video doesn't have sound btw. :v:
Also what RPM does your pump run at?

I'm gonna go to the shop tomorrow and try to get an refund. Not sure if they'll be okay with that.
Hopefully my second NF-A12x25 fan will arrive this week so I can zip tie them onto my GPU.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 21, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Sininu posted:

Your video doesn't have sound btw. :v:
Also what RPM does your pump run at?

I'm gonna go to the shop tomorrow and try to get an refund. Not sure if they'll be okay with that.
Hopefully my second NF-A12x25 fan will arrive this week so I can zip tie them onto my GPU.

Oh oops, should've just shared from Google Photos itself

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eRqyVUdru3Bsa3hP7

Refund is probably the best route

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh oops, should've just shared from Google Photos itself

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eRqyVUdru3Bsa3hP7

Refund is probably the best route

Album is empty :v:

Would you be so kind and check what RPM your pump is running at? Mine is reported to be running at 1450-1500 RPM.

Edit: well I didn't get a refund because it has no defects so its going through the testing or whatever once again.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 22, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Sininu posted:

Album is empty :v:

Would you be so kind and check what RPM your pump is running at? Mine is reported to be running at 1450-1500 RPM.

Edit: well I didn't get a refund because it has no defects so its going through the testing or whatever once again.

Oops, accidentally deleted the video. It should be back on that same link. My pump runs around the same range, high 1400s

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oops, accidentally deleted the video. It should be back on that same link. My pump runs around the same range, high 1400s

Good, good, I saw some conflicting numbers for the intended pump speed online. And your system seems to be really quiet! I'm hoping to get similar results eventually. CPU side is all fine with Noctua NH-D15 but GPU and the goddamn power supply still need work.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Sininu posted:

Good, good, I saw some conflicting numbers for the intended pump speed online. And your system seems to be really quiet! I'm hoping to get similar results eventually. CPU side is all fine with Noctua NH-D15 but GPU and the goddamn power supply still need work.

Sent you a pm

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Why did I do this

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Why did I do this

Yes

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Start with the edibles and everything else will sort itself out.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I hate all of this and all of you

Tbf I think I have a route figured out. But that'll happen tomorrow after work for another nightnare evening

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Sideways reservoir above the electronics. Living dangerously I see.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
A full custom loop in a case that size... You must enjoy pain and suffering.

Next time make it even worse by using hard tubing and adding a second radiator.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

And that picture is exactly why I decided on an S2 when I switch to water instead of a define C.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Sideways reservoir above the electronics. Living dangerously I see.

Most of the builds using my case on r/watercooling were either that way or right under the graphics card. If I could figure out a simple way to mount the pump on the bottom of the case I might try that. Either way the PSU is right under everything

Edit: Went ahead and put the final two tubes in before work. Need to put the drain on the bottom of the GPU and I'll be good

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 24, 2020

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Could be worse, really. If I don't build in the S2 it'll be a Nano S...

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Almost two hours into a leak test and it's dry, thankfully. This is going to be a nerve-wracking night's sleep and then day at work, Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
With soft tubing and compression fittings there is very little you have to be concerned about, this type of loop is incredibly durable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAMmQy8bdXk