Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
- Darth Vader is inherently a special person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They suck major rear end and are super racist to boot

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also everything in them looks stupid, except ewen who is still hot

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Also everything in them looks stupid, except ewen who is still hot

TBH this is the biggest sin of the prequels. SW is primarily an aesthetic and the PT aesthetic sucks

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't even like the prequels but lol at the idea that prequel-likers are just "memeing" when like 90% of any prequel complaints on the internet are just badly recycled RLM catchphrases

They haven't even watched them since they got the dvds after the theatrical release. For evidence, I present every post in this thread saying how great the movie was.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know what RLM is and I seriously doubt that the huge plurality of people who dislike the Prequels did it because of twitter memes that made you mad

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

zoux posted:

TBH this is the biggest sin of the prequels. SW is primarily an aesthetic and the PT aesthetic sucks

The early digital looks like rear end for sure, but the alien, droid, and ship designs are miles more varied and imaginative than any of the Disney era stuff.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the aesthetic is actually very good and the gradual shift from sleek shiny ships to grungy mass produced military ships is unique and cool as gently caress

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I liked the idea of Qui Gon and Obi Wan merging together to be a more wizened Obi Wan in the Phantom Menace. It would have further underlined how much of a Big Deal jedi knights were that they could just send one to negotiate with the trade federation. I don’t think there’s anything Qui Gon did in the movie that Obi Wan couldn’t do save for dying against Darth Maul.

Instead he’s a goober throughout the prequel trilogy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know what RLM is and I seriously doubt that the huge plurality of people who dislike the Prequels did it because of twitter memes that made you mad

I hated the prequels even before youtube existed, personally

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Roman Reigns posted:

I liked the idea of Qui Gon and Obi Wan merging together to be a more wizened Obi Wan in the Phantom Menace. It would have further underlined how much of a Big Deal jedi knights were that they could just send one to negotiate with the trade federation. I don’t think there’s anything Qui Gon did in the movie that Obi Wan couldn’t do save for dying against Darth Maul.

Instead he’s a goober throughout the prequel trilogy.

This was the original idea until Lucas realized he’d made obi-wan too perfect a guy

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

...dammit george :(

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The prequels were always good here is an article from 2002 which says the same true things people still say today.

The people who disliked them were film critics (not Ebert), and idiot original trilogy fans whose most insightful critique was that "George Lucas raped our childhood!!!". You have done that yourself.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Ultimately I think the final version of Obi-Wan is really neat. He's a Jedi's Jedi—brave, loyal, gallant, warm. But he also has prejudices of his own, and he's never really able to grapple with his complicated relationship with Anakin. Obi-Wan consistently speaks of Anakin as a brother, both of them being “sons” of Qui-Gon. But Anakin needs Obi-Wan to be his father, to offer him love and guidance and acceptance. Obi-Wan can’t offer that precisely because he's such a dutiful Jedi; he can’t ever acknowledge how he really feels until after he's cut Anakin to bits.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

yo that's why I didn't say Red Letter Media invented prequel hate just that their memes have taken over the majority of internet prequel discussion over the past decade

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The article that guy linked is just laboriously explaining the obvious themes of the prequels interjected with long chunks of specious conjecture about the "language of film" that only serve to. . . justify their reading of the obvious themes of the text. A fine precursor to the 5 hour youtube book report clique of today.

This part is funny as hell too:

"In their continual vigilance to skewer Lucas for what they see as racism, other reviewers fail to appreciate the difference between literary archetypes and popular stereotypes, or to realize that the latter are almost always based on the former."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The fight on lava planet sucked rear end. This is not up for debate. And if you say "oh well of course the choreography was awful, it's because theyre using tHe FoRcE" then you're literally the worst person alive.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who What Now posted:

The fight on lava planet sucked rear end. This is not up for debate. And if you say "oh well of course the choreography was awful, it's because theyre using tHe FoRcE" then you're literally the worst person alive.

“It’s over anakin I have the high ground” - the man whose most notable combat accomplishment is killing a dude from the extremely low ground

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Who What Now posted:

it's a giant recap of their story. The system crumbles around them and they're too wrapped up in battle to notice at first. They both end up on the path to hell. The two of them try to climb up and out, and Obi-Wan ascends higher. Anakin actually falls, but saves himself at the very last moment with a spectacular leap of faith.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zoran posted:

it's a giant recap of their story. The system crumbles around them and they're too wrapped up in battle to notice at first. They both end up on the path to hell. The two of them try to climb up and out, and Obi-Wan ascends higher. Anakin actually falls, but saves himself at the very last moment with a spectacular leap of faith.

That's cool fanfiction but IRL it's an overly long glow stick fight that ends up the galaxy's worst front flip.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Who What Now posted:

its actually because the choreography is good

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

lgihtsabers, are sticks that glow

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mooey Cow posted:

The prequels were always good here is an article from 2002 which says the same true things people still say today.

The people who disliked them were film critics (not Ebert), and idiot original trilogy fans whose most insightful critique was that "George Lucas raped our childhood!!!". You have done that yourself.

I mean, you can actually skip one of the prequel movies entirely and it makes zero impact on the series suggests that maybe there's more to people not liking the prequels than being grognards.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

CainFortea posted:

I mean, you can actually skip one of the prequel movies entirely and it makes zero impact on the series suggests that maybe there's more to people not liking the prequels than being grognards.

is this the “you can skip tpm” thing? lmao

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zoran posted:

is this the “you can skip tpm” thing? lmao

Yes.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

you can skip any movie in the series

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

cuntman.net posted:

its actually because the choreography is good

Your Jedi mind tricks don't work here

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

You can't breathe on a volcano planet the air would be poison. Also, heat radiates even if you don't actually get in the lava.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd seriously advise everybody to read that goofy review that was posted

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

love to excise the part of the story where you find out the dark evil warrior wasn’t always a badass and in fact was a kind and generous young person who dreamed of liberation

this has no relevance to the story or its themes

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

cuntman.net posted:

you can skip any movie in the series

While technically true, there'd be a lot more confusion on the viewers part. Everything brought up in Ep1 is either never mentioned again, or has enough exposition to fill the viewer in if they never saw it.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's funny that Zoran thinks noticing these things makes the film good. These people have their mind blown just by themes being present in the text.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

I mean the movies as they appear on the screen

is shot, reverse shot really appearing on a screen

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Your Jedi mind tricks don't work here

my mind tricks are facts and logic. they use actual swordfigting techniques and they make mistakes that fit their characterization but make it feel more realistic like anakin being overly aggressive and leaving himself open and obiwan not taking advantage of those openings

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Theme Noticer

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

CainFortea posted:

While technically true, there'd be a lot more confusion on the viewers part. Everything brought up in Ep1 is either never mentioned again, or has enough exposition to fill the viewer in if they never saw it.

all episodes have enough exposition to fill the viewer in. now thats good storytelling

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

cuntman.net posted:

my mind tricks are facts and logic. they use actual swordfigting techniques and they make mistakes that fit their characterization but make it feel more realistic like anakin being overly aggressive and leaving himself open and obiwan not taking advantage of those openings

i love to have to take a fencing class to enjoy my sci-fi adventure film for all ages

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Zoran posted:

love to excise the part of the story where you find out the dark evil warrior wasn’t always a badass and in fact was a kind and generous young person who dreamed of liberation

this has no relevance to the story or its themes

Did you guys know that Hitler was once a 10 year old boy, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Universe Master posted:

Did you guys know that Hitler was once a 10 year old boy, too?

the first 6 movies are an extended take on come and see, prove me wrong