Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It's funny that Zoran thinks noticing these things makes the film good. These people have their mind blown just by themes being present in the text.

when almost the only criticism people can offer is that there was no care that went into these things, pointing out the bare existence of themes is a devastating rejoinder

“The fights are just pointlessly waving glow sticks at each other”—no, it's an extended visual metaphor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Learning, growing, and expanding your mind by noticing the themes present in pulp adventure films.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Zoran posted:

when almost the only criticism people can offer is that there was no care that went into these things, pointing out the bare existence of themes is a devastating rejoinder

“The fights are just pointlessly waving glow sticks at each other”—no, it's an extended visual metaphor

a metaphor

for boring

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoran posted:

Well that's on you for arguing with them moron

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Make a 5 hour long youtube video about it so the other nerds can soak up all the poo poo you noticed that ties into the themes of the children's story you consumed.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i love to have to take a fencing class to enjoy my sci-fi adventure film for all ages

it has something to offer for both hobbyists and regular viewers. good stuff all around

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How long's this forum gonna be open this is fun

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

other than *character dies/burns* no part of the prequel lightsaber fights are memorable

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The criticism is that George Lucas couldn't write the back of a cereal box, and while the original trilogy was carried on the chemistry of it's leads the prequels (or at least Hayden Christiansen, but he was in every scene) demonstrated all the acting chops of a rock that was particularly bad at acting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Usually a month is the timeframe for RSFs

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Guy A. Person posted:

I feel like Yoda should have been like a long retired consultant who occasionally trained Jedi like Obi-Wan and was trying but failing to steer the Jedi away from being hubristic douche bags,
He was an old guy on the Jedi Committee who spent most of his time teaching kindergarten, that's pretty much who he was

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

sorry sorry I'm trying to shut it off

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Make a 5 hour long youtube video about it so the other nerds can soak up all the poo poo you noticed that ties into the themes of the children's story you consumed.

who the gently caress watches those things. arguing about the movies is kinda fun, but why are there so many STAR WARS EXPLAINER videos to tell me about the amazing secret history of the knights of ren, all of them with a million views

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Zoran posted:

who the gently caress watches those things. arguing about the movies is kinda fun, but why are there so many STAR WARS EXPLAINER videos to tell me about the amazing secret history of the knights of ren, all of them with a million views

people want that sweet sweet drunk midwestener on youtube money

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's a good idea:

A TV tropes like website where the nerd type guys catalog all the things they observed that reinforce the the themes of every movie. Then they can all reference it and quote it at each other when people need educated proof that a movie was actually good.

Like if there's a visual metaphor for the conflict of the film in a scene and a pleb says it's bad they can go "Actually that's a Mustafar fight followed by a vote of no confidence and it means the film actually had high amounts of fun for everybody and themes.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoran posted:

I think the algorithm highlights them in order to tie in with the hype of big media events

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

So is now a bad time to be a YouTube Star Wars explainer guy, because of the generally tepid reaction to the sequel trilogy and the lack of forthcoming movies, or is it a good time because you can read wookieepedia articles about the Superior Legends Continuity in two hour video form and tell your viewers about what could have been?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's probably not a lot of money in explainers anymore but lots of money to cash in on the partisan bickering about the causes of its failure. I think the star wars discourse has taken on a life of its own, similar to the Marvel / DC thing, where the content being mined from it is very 'culture war'.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

cuntman.net posted:

my mind tricks are facts and logic. they use actual swordfigting techniques and they make mistakes that fit their characterization but make it feel more realistic like anakin being overly aggressive and leaving himself open and obiwan not taking advantage of those openings

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think there's always room depending on your niche. It sometimes seems a little odd to me that people lump together certain reviewers, because realistically some of them are film reviewers, and others are script doctors. Some are a lot more concerned with cinematography or editing, and others are thinking more about the marketability/commercial aspect. I think that both are valid approaches, but they're not doing the same thing and they arent trying to.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
As more and more people realize the prequels were never the "historically bad" movies they are made out to be, the prequel detractors are working frantically to maintain the high ground they received after the RLM reviews. But it is a desperate struggle which they know they cannot win as Star Wars can no longer be "the OT vs the PT", but the Lucas films vs an endless stream of soulless trash.

"The Emperor says unlimited power!!!" they scream indignantly. But no one listens. The people knows it owns when he says that and also says "Ahhhh..." afterwards, and that it makes the movie better not worse.

"He says he is the Senate!!" The people watch in puzzlement, as if someone had just said of the Mona Lisa "She smiles!!" and considered it a critique.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The metaphor of that gif is that it never ends or goes anywhere. Much like the fight itself.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

thats because its a looping gif

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like, Lindsay Ellis and Jenny Nicholson are both "reviewers" but they are coming at it from a completely different angle. Linsday looks at "a film" and Nicholson looks at "a product", and I find the latter often a little more relevant to what Disney should have done. RLM straddled both.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Mooey Cow posted:

As more and more people realize the prequels were never the "historically bad" movies they are made out to be, the prequel detractors are working frantically to maintain the high ground they received after the RLM reviews. But it is a desperate struggle which they know they cannot win as Star Wars can no longer be "the OT vs the PT", but the Lucas films vs an endless stream of soulless trash.

"The Emperor says unlimited power!!!" they scream indignantly. But no one listens. The people knows it owns when he says that and also says "Ahhhh..." afterwards, and that it makes the movie better not worse.

"He says he is the Senate!!" The people watch in puzzlement, as if someone had just said of the Mona Lisa "She smiles!!" and considered it a critique.

the prequels are historically bad because they're hundred million dollar films directed with all the skill of a block of wood

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Pick posted:

Like, Lindsay Ellis and Jenny Nicholson are both "reviewers" but they are coming at it from a completely different angle. Linsday looks at "a film" and Nicholson looks at "a product", and I find the latter often a little more relevant to what Disney should have done. RLM straddled both.

Sometimes they hang out and watch sonic the hedgehog together

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

reignofevil posted:

Sometimes they hang out and watch sonic the hedgehog together

That's good! But it doesn't really relate to my point about how they address media differently.

Benstar
Aug 3, 2008
Did you notice that the guy who called his army stormtroopers kind of has a similar political career to Hitler? Just something I thought I'd throw out there

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

cuntman.net posted:

thats because its a looping gif

Looping metaphor.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mooey Cow posted:

Seems pretty delusional to me

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Pick posted:

Jenny has probably smashed less poo poo in the back of a squad car, also.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Universe Master posted:

Jenny has probably smashed less poo poo in the back of a squad car, also.

I am not really into reviewers or you tubers generally, so I don't know what this is a reference to

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oops I see the pro prequel forces have discovered this battlestation to be quite operational

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

zoux posted:

Oops I see the pro prequel forces have discovered this battlestation to be quite operational

it gets blown up and its owner dies

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Episode one is the best out of all the 9 there were no mistakes

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the prequels are historically bad because they're hundred million dollar films directed with all the skill of a block of wood

They are in fact competently made and the directorial style fits seamlessly with the original trilogy, as intended.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I've caught up with the thread. I see a large chunk of the thread doesn't understand anakin can move super fast so those openings aren't open

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Mooey Cow posted:

They are in fact competently made and the directorial style fits seamlessly with the original trilogy, as intended.

if we're setting the bar to "the camera is on and the lens cap is off" sure

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Tried to watch Ep 1 very recently, couldn't get through an hour of it, felt like torture. The Phantom Menace made me lose all interest in the franchise. Haven't seen the new ones or the other prequels. It's just a *bad* movie with nothing redeemable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Metapod posted:

I've caught up with the thread. I see a large chunk of the thread doesn't understand anakin can move super fast so those openings aren't open

actually obiwan can move super fast too. theyre evenly matched unlike this case where your power is nowhere near mine