Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Really I'm in a "who prints out pictures?" mentality but I want to say it in a way without the :smuggo: tinge. Like broadcast TV with commercials and lack of choice, it's just a concept that's been growing more and more alien to me as time goes on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
To be fair, we went to print photos a week or two ago and Target had removed their kiosks near Customer Service. I'm not sure if they relocated them, we just went to the Walgreens nearby and used theirs.

I guess I'm just like my dad, an old fart stuck in his own generation's ways.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Pastry of the Year posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQMd06fWkHI

This is homebrew running on a console released in 1979.

Amazing. I remember when Intellivision came out, going to the department store where they had a demo unit and working my poor thumbs to the bone on that horrible controller. Soccer required constant pressure that turned game playing into a real endurance test.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'm might use one of those photo kiosks to send some photos with a gift, so they still have a niche purpose I think.

I have a color inkjet at home with only a black cartridge in it because it's not great for photos and it's only used for taxes and tickets.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
We had a Coleco when I was a kid (and the adapter to play Atari games on it). It was incredible, and was definitely the reason I was immediately hooked by vidya games. I even got to play some Vectrex and other odd stuff because my brother's friends and random neighbors had some cool things.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nocheez posted:

To be fair, we went to print photos a week or two ago and Target had removed their kiosks near Customer Service. I'm not sure if they relocated them, we just went to the Walgreens nearby and used theirs.

I guess I'm just like my dad, an old fart stuck in his own generation's ways.

Eh, I see a use for limited amounts of photos, but there's also no need to print out all 237 photos from your vacation to Jacksonville.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blugu64 posted:

How else do people get prints of their photos? That’s how I get family photos printed out for the album/letters, so if there’s a better way...

I needed some photos for my moms xmas present this year so I went to the actual downtown camera store to get them to do it.

I walked up to the counter and asked for same day prints and the guy pointed to the kiosk machines that were just more modern looking versions (black case) of the kodak photo printer from the pharmacy. :eng99:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

bring back old gbs posted:

I needed some photos for my moms xmas present this year so I went to the actual downtown camera store to get them to do it.

I walked up to the counter and asked for same day prints and the guy pointed to the kiosk machines that were just more modern looking versions (black case) of the kodak photo printer from the pharmacy. :eng99:

But what if you'd had a film camera?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Shut up Meg posted:

You've got a very interesting evolutionary dead end - like a fossil from the Galapagos Islands of a bird with 2 beaks.

I've never even seen/heard of a desktop with PCMCIA slots and this has 4.

Unless they know something specific, that doesn't ring true to me for a handful of reasons:

Why the double slot on the front? They would never need to read two cards simultaneously.
Whey the slots on the back? Can't be practically accessed
What users? Who had digital cameras at that time?
The first mass-market digital camera with a card slot was the Kodak DC50 and that came out in 1996. Even then, the number of people that used them was miniscule.

I think we may be looking at a "small batch" as the person put it. Some custom job (and boy what a custom job) for some niche business.

This COULD have been used in.....well look, This system was part of a bulk lot I bought. I drove 3ish hours(one way) from Northeast Arkansas to sort of North Central Arkansas.
There was a shop building this guy bought and there was a literal just PILE of systems. Not even stacked. Dude who owned the place before lived, currently, in Pennsylvania and "collected" them by his words.
Some of the Apple systems had markings from California and Idaho. There was also a Silicon Graphics "Octane" system, which retailed 15-30K dollars when it was new.
Also a monitor for NEXT cube. I got excited,but no cube to be found.

So, I don't even loving know anymore. Maaaaaybe laboratory research? Some university? It is certainly some niche, small batch that didn't get much documented.
As the guy said, he found it odd, as that motherboard was used in server applications. I just need to hurry and sell this to a collector so THEY can get into this drat hard drive and solve this poo poo, because it is seriously bugging the hell out of me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kwyndig posted:

But what if you'd had a film camera?

When I manned the photo printer more recently than I'd like to admit, film was sent off to Fuji for development, with I think it was a 10 day turn around.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

When I manned the photo printer more recently than I'd like to admit, film was sent off to Fuji for development, with I think it was a 10 day turn around.

As recently as a few years ago, you could still find some pharmacies with an in-house development machine, but they were getting pretty rare. I've sent color film off to Citizens Photo in Portland for the last few years, and develop black and white myself.

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, I don't even loving know anymore. Maaaaaybe laboratory research? Some university? It is certainly some niche, small batch that didn't get much documented.
As the guy said, he found it odd, as that motherboard was used in server applications. I just need to hurry and sell this to a collector so THEY can get into this drat hard drive and solve this poo poo, because it is seriously bugging the hell out of me.

Maybe try Foone?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pham Nuwen posted:

As recently as a few years ago, you could still find some pharmacies with an in-house development machine, but they were getting pretty rare. I've sent color film off to Citizens Photo in Portland for the last few years, and develop black and white myself.

I'm jealous, I always had a blast developing B&W film and photos when I was in high school

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm jealous, I always had a blast developing B&W film and photos when I was in high school

I do enjoy developing B&W film, although I've got a bit of a backlog at the moment. I do stand development, so it's an hour to develop two rolls unless I break out the big 8-reel stainless tank, but I've never been as good at loading the steel reels. For less than $50 you can be developing black and white no problem, and a single bottle of Rodinal goes a long way for stand development.

I haven't made a B&W print in a couple years because it's such an ordeal to get the contrast and exposures right, although the results are incredibly satisfying. I even tracked down a 6x6 negative holder for my enlarger, but haven't tried it yet. I'm thinking about getting out of film before I move because I just don't shoot much any more, and I definitely don't print much.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You don't even need a darkroom. A light proof bag and some careful practice is all you need to get your film into a developing tank. Or you just mail it to one of the dozen hipster film developers that have popped up recently. Some, like Indie Film in Alabama will scan them in so you don't have to even order prints.

My daughter is now obsessed with disposable cameras. Not instant film, but old crappy Kodak (I think Fuji now) disposable cameras. The cost difference between those is probably negligible compared to shooting with an actual good camera.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There are still disposable cameras out there where the film hasn't rotted away? wow

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Krispy Wafer posted:

You don't even need a darkroom. A light proof bag and some careful practice is all you need to get your film into a developing tank. Or you just mail it to one of the dozen hipster film developers that have popped up recently. Some, like Indie Film in Alabama will scan them in so you don't have to even order prints.

My daughter is now obsessed with disposable cameras. Not instant film, but old crappy Kodak (I think Fuji now) disposable cameras. The cost difference between those is probably negligible compared to shooting with an actual good camera.

This is probably a bit of a crossover with the "TV Episodes that didn't age well" thread, but remember when there was a huge plot point in an episode of Friends that Chandler and dinosaur divorce guy lost all the disposable cameras at a wedding, like it was just this assumed cultural touchpoint that they'd be there?

A similar point that's been changed by time is Fry asking the Beastie Boys for "A few copies" of their new albums, "and some cassettes". I wonder how obvious it is to modern audiences that the intent of that line was that Fry was pirating the album.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yep, I use a bag for getting the film into the tank, because I don't quite trust my "darkroom" (utility room between the garage and dining room, two doors and no windows) with exposed film. It's fine for prints, though.

I just shoot Arista EDU or Fomapan, which comes in at like $4.50 a roll plus a few cents worth of development chemicals. Disposable cameras are fun in their own way but if you want to step things up for your daughter you could probably get an ME Super for $20 if you post in the Dorkroom.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Neito posted:

This is probably a bit of a crossover with the "TV Episodes that didn't age well" thread, but remember when there was a huge plot point in an episode of Friends that Chandler and dinosaur divorce guy lost all the disposable cameras at a wedding, like it was just this assumed cultural touchpoint that they'd be there?

I went to two weddings last year that had disposable cameras on the table. I know the one that was at my table had several (not mine) dick pics on it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I went to two weddings last year that had disposable cameras on the table. I know the one that was at my table had several (not mine) dick pics on it.

thats a dick move

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

This was an episode of King of Queens. Don't judge, it wasn't that bad of a show. I'd rather watch it than Friends. It certainly was more NY than Friends.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Let's discuss what the heck these symbols stand for:

Do you think this could have been part of a setup for a medical device?

I swear to God that looks like the IBMs my father had in his pharmacy back in the 90s, but they were just POS/inventory/etc..

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Neito posted:

Disposable cameras at weddings is still on every "20 cool things to make the most memorable wedding ever" list.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

boar guy posted:

thats a dick move

Dick stills, actually

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yep, I use a bag for getting the film into the tank, because I don't quite trust my "darkroom" (utility room between the garage and dining room, two doors and no windows) with exposed film. It's fine for prints, though.

I just shoot Arista EDU or Fomapan, which comes in at like $4.50 a roll plus a few cents worth of development chemicals. Disposable cameras are fun in their own way but if you want to step things up for your daughter you could probably get an ME Super for $20 if you post in the Dorkroom.

If she wants a film camera I've got a plethora of them, but that's going to require focusing and exposure controls and I think she's just wanting to take a picture, windwindwind, and take another picture.

There's a camera app now that makes you wait a day to see your photos. I guess that's one way to experience film. If only it also randomly blurred, inserted a finger, or underexposed irreplaceable shots it'd be perfect.

Joey Freshwater posted:

So you're the one who took the dick pics, but you didn't pose in them.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Jan 22, 2020

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Maybe you could make it a condition of sale that if any of the drives work, they dump them online somewhere so we can have a trawl through them?

Kudos to you for recognising that this is something special.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

So you're the one who took the dick pics, but you didn't pose in them.

....is that not what the best man's job is?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/BfPHTLT.mp4

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Phanatic posted:

I swear to God that looks like the IBMs my father had in his pharmacy back in the 90s, but they were just POS/inventory/etc..

Was it a chain Pharmacy? What state was it in?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Nothing is obsolete about this, I don't give half a gently caress :swoon:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I never worked in the photo lab but we had one where I worked in 2000 and the girls who worked there said it was a good way to know what your customers looked like naked.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I've been slowly working my way through a (presumably decrepit) roll of black and white on a little olympus Pen EE and I'm legit a bit stoked to try and get it developed, there's a local (chain) drugstore that still has a working photolab

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Phy posted:

I've been slowly working my way through a (presumably decrepit) roll of black and white on a little olympus Pen EE and I'm legit a bit stoked to try and get it developed, there's a local (chain) drugstore that still has a working photolab

I don't think the drugstore photo processing machines could handle black and white. If they have an actual darkroom with people doing the development, well, neat! Otherwise you'll need to mail it out or do it yourself.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Nocheez posted:

We had a Coleco when I was a kid (and the adapter to play Atari games on it). It was incredible, and was definitely the reason I was immediately hooked by vidya games. I even got to play some Vectrex and other odd stuff because my brother's friends and random neighbors had some cool things.

Hey, you and me both. I even had a steering wheel and paddles. Ended up selling it all to finance a C64 and disk drive.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I've use the Walmart photo centre to print photos for gifts before. They now provide a phone app that beams your entire camera roll to the kiosk so you can select which photos you want to print from that horrible laggy touch screen. Given that it's Walmart clientele, you can imagine how well that goes. The gifts were well received though!

I am kind of obsessed with the idea of printing out and framing snapchat screenshots, like with the captions and filters and everything. I could have one of those memory walls covered in people with googly eyes and dog ears

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

When the top gear was peeled off it seemed like it was some kind of reveal and I really wanted dickbutt to be engraved on the gear underneath

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Joey Freshwater posted:

I've been to a few wedding where they had these:

and a bunch of rolls of film and batteries at each table. They make a version that are stickers so you could take pictures of your table then tape them in the scap book thing and write something under the pictures

everyone, including my 20 year old sister was shaking them to make them develop faster even though I tried to explain how poloriods work smh

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Queen Combat posted:

Really I'm in a "who prints out pictures?" mentality but I want to say it in a way without the :smuggo: tinge. Like broadcast TV with commercials and lack of choice, it's just a concept that's been growing more and more alien to me as time goes on

I sometimes do prints of ones I take. Some of the prints are poster sized for wall art, some are portrait shots of my niece and nephews.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Made obsolete by this man

https://youtu.be/l789l6np-qA

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Plinkey posted:

everyone, including my 20 year old sister was shaking them to make them develop faster even though I tried to explain how poloriods work smh

This has had an opposite effect with my wife who now holds it motionless.

I'm pretty sure it's not conscious, but still funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

blugu64 posted:

How else do people get prints of their photos? That’s how I get family photos printed out for the album/letters, so if there’s a better way...

I might be revisiting an old concept project from 20 years ago with 30 disposable cameras worth of film. Long story short - budget Bullet-Time rig.