Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'm seein' double here! Four birds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
If crawl is a rogue-like then yeah that thread was a hoot

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The fact that the actual Crawl advice in that thread was pretty solid just added to the surreal nature of the whole affair.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm seein' double here! Four birds!

One bird, two bird, red bird, blue bird...

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

One bird, two bird, red bird, blue bird...

:lmao:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

LITERALLY AN ADMIN posted:

I actually meant to post those links on my admin account so that no prankster could report me for leaking mod forums, I know you guys, but I am bad at multiple browsers sometimes :mad:

Thank you, i will not report you for this

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Also the thread I was thinking of is goldmined

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718266

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

purple death ray posted:

How about this uplifting story? Read as e/n goons conspire to get one of their own out of an abusive relationship. Op just popped back in for an update now that the dust has settled.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894292&pagenumber=1&perpage=40
There's a possible uplifting story that started in the r/relationships thread and moved to E/N:

Mushmouth posted:

So I was directed at this thread from another where I got all e/n about my fiance's drinking.
I want to help him very much, and I'm in a place now where I think I have the emotional energy to do it. Are there any tips you guys have to offer where I can be the best support system I can be? Is there anything I absolutely should not do?
This is kind of nebulous, and I apologize. You guys are awesome with your recoveries and your honesty and it helped me get perspective from outside of myself, which was desperately needed.
Mushmouth listened to the people in r/relationships thread and is getting the help they need.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

My own personal mini-saga is that last night at about 3 am when I got up to go to the bathroom I was convinced I had the perfect saga to post in this thread, something that I had just remembered and that was hilarious, and then when I woke up this morning I couldn't remember what it was or if it was even real or just a dream I had.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lmao: :hmmyes:

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
There was a goon named Wayne Gretzky who posted pictures in a bunch of threads and included his balls somewhere in the frame each time

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Is this new? I could've sworn we had it ages ago but I tried to use it a while back and got nothing. It's a worthwhile saga if so.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Schmeichy posted:

There was a goon named Wayne Gretzky who posted pictures in a bunch of threads and included his balls somewhere in the frame each time

It was art.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
How did you know for sure they were his balls?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Schmeichy posted:

I thought that was Canadian Business School graduate Nathan Fielder

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Who What Now posted:

Faith

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Who What Now posted:

Whose else would they be?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Captain Hygiene posted:

Is this new? I could've sworn we had it ages ago but I tried to use it a while back and got nothing. It's a worthwhile saga if so.

I made it yesterday because 'lmao' is my 'haha I liked that' abbreviation of choice and I decided using my admin powers for one is not selfish, it can be enjoyed by the whole forum! :v:

Props to the 'red bird blue bird' post for inspiring me.

e: I abuse 'lmao' in regular text conversations, I expect you will see me using the smiley version fairly often

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 22, 2020

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Heath posted:

Whose else would they be?

There's lots of balls online. Could have been new balls every time.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Who What Now posted:

There's lots of balls online. Could have been new balls every time.

They were the same balls. You clearly don't know what you're talking about and frankly it's embarrasing. Why don't you edcuate yourself a little before you start talking crap?

Edit: You know what? Reported. gently caress you.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I made it yesterday because 'lmao' is my 'haha I liked that' abbreviation of choice and I decided using my admin powers for one is not selfish, it can be enjoyed by the whole forum! :v:

Props to the 'red bird blue bird' post for inspiring me.

e: I abuse 'lmao' in regular text conversations, I expect you will see me using the smiley version fairly often

:thanks: :lmao:

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

does anyone know the story behind :wom:

i remember being on the forums when it suddenly was a thing and could never understand why

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Splash Attack posted:

i remember being on the forums when it suddenly was a thing and could never understand why

If I remember right, it was just a misspelling in a thread title which then became a thread joke and meme-tasticized everywhere for a week or so

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Splash Attack posted:

I actually asked in the smilies thread the other day- there’s a whole SAClopedia entry on it! Phone posting or I would copy and paste.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:woop::lmao:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Splash Attack posted:

Someone made a thread and the op had "wom" for no obvious reason after the post. Maybe it was a leftover from a sentence they edited out, nobody really knows. Goons decided this was the funniest thing in the world and ran it into the ground

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

purple death ray posted:

Someone made a thread and the op had "wom" for no obvious reason after the post. Maybe it was a leftover from a sentence they edited out, nobody really knows. Goons decided this was the funniest thing in the world and ran it into the ground

ahem

:regd08:

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Late, but reading up on the new thread, and I remember the Shoe of all Cosmos stuff, and nobody deserves to get a beating like that, and any parent that does that to their child sucks. The reason that Goons turned on her wasn't because of the weird lizard kink stuff, though, or because of furry stuff; it was because of stuff like this;

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238516&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post369457113

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CannonFodder posted:

There's a possible uplifting story that started in the r/relationships thread and moved to E/N:
Mushmouth listened to the people in r/relationships thread and is getting the help they need.

It all leaked out in r/relationships in GBS when she casually dropped a hint about having to scour the house to find his hidden bottles of alcohol and pour them out and lol his spycraft was pretty bad because she always found them.

Her posts about their relationships are a doozy and 2 years prior she posted in one of the GBS letters to a person about how her (same) bf had such a problem with alcohol she had to drive him to the ER and he was too drunk to even walk or give any of his personal information. Now is apparently different then before since he got a DUI and lost his job, but still, addicts...

It's like reading about an abused spouse who's back with her abuser and saying "no this time he's promised he'll be better". It's going to take a hell of a lot of help from people outside of a web forum to deal with that situation and most people would advise just walking away while you still can (i.e don't marry him)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Grandmother of Five posted:

Late, but reading up on the new thread, and I remember the Shoe of all Cosmos stuff, and nobody deserves to get a beating like that, and any parent that does that to their child sucks. The reason that Goons turned on her wasn't because of the weird lizard kink stuff, though, or because of furry stuff; it was because of stuff like this;

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238516&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post369457113

Holy loving hell that is a rollercoaster of a thread

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

A 15 rune run is pretty cool, liked reading it.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Heath posted:

Holy loving hell that is a rollercoaster of a thread

Summary for those without archives?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Crocoswine posted:

Summary for those without archives?

It's "End White Affirmative Action" and for a GBS thread from 2009 you can imagine how polite and respectful the discourse on racial equality was.

Here's a random example

quote:

No, I'm questioning that everyone who is white is enjoying white privilege. You can't make that statement with any kind of certainty. Only 4.8% of whites in the south owned slaves. Forcing an entire nation to pay for what 1.4% of the country did over a century ago is silly.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I forgot about archives being a thing. I don't remember buying that. Weird. Anyway, the Shoes of all Cosmos post that the link pointed to was this, btw;

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Worth noting is that they did get banned for that, but for some odd reason the USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST message isn’t there. It’s only on the rapsheet.

EDIT: Oh, and it seems that zaurg has autobanned. So much for that.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST tag doesn't always show up automatically the way the probation one does. I don't know why.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

To be fair, Shoe was raised by a judge in Texas who liked to beat his kids. She was probably fed racist poo poo like that her entire life. She never had a chance.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST tag doesn't always show up automatically the way the probation one does. I don't know why.

The "why" is "radium".

The "how" on the other hand is likely one of the lost secrets of the ancients.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I forgot about archives being a thing. I don't remember buying that. Weird. Anyway, the Shoes of all Cosmos post that the link pointed to was this, btw;

Anyone reading this thread really should have archives, it really enhances the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

sweet geek swag posted:

To be fair, Shoe was raised by a judge in Texas who liked to beat his kids. She was probably fed racist poo poo like that her entire life. She never had a chance.

I'm willing to give her that, but man, she's hardly out of place in that thread. This was a much different forum in 2009.