Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

season after season after season which is exactly 3 and then cancelled

nah

quote:

Of the English-language scripted programs that debuted on Netflix from 2013 to 2017, about 19% lasted more than three seasons. That puts the company squarely in between CBS, the most-watched U.S. TV network, and HBO, the most-popular premium cable network. Almost 50% of Netflix shows made it to season three, again comparable to HBO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bring back old gbs posted:

season after season after season which is exactly 3 and then cancelled

I'm honestly ok with the 90's Nickelodeon model, as long as everyone knows it's 3 and done so there can be a good wrap-up.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Iron Crowned posted:

reoccurring guest star Rhonda Rousey

Dear lord.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is it cool if I make a new megathread just for the "modern" Star Trek shows that are airing now or will air soon? That way we can close the old Discovery thread and have a place for new viewers to talk about the shows without getting lost in the "classic" Trek thread. I've got half an OP written already.

BTY it turned out to be a good thread so far. Less toxic than the Disco thread so far and I'm enjoying it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

It basically is, it's a mediocre genre show that affects depth and maturity with gratuitous nudity and a jumbled-up narrative and huge production values that has become not only a ratings smash hit but had a large cultural impact online and off. Which is a shame because if they weren't trying to make it a GoT-come-lately fantasy politics simulator and made a show that was actually about monster hunting it would be a way better show.

I gotta agree here. I know that the fantasy politics are a big part of the books/games but holy poo poo was it boring to watch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The games are way more character driven than the show, and also written about 20 times better.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The show’s timeline stuff was also an insane choice that added nothing to the narrative. Why not at least have a title card saying when a scene took place?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
From what I understand (and book readers correct me if I'm wrong) the political stuff becomes stronger in later books, and much of the political stuff in this season was made up and not from the books. So hopefully in future seasons the political aspect will be higher quality.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

Sleeveless posted:

It basically is, it's a mediocre genre show that affects depth and maturity with gratuitous nudity and a jumbled-up narrative and huge production values that has become not only a ratings smash hit but had a large cultural impact online and off. Which is a shame because if they weren't trying to make it a GoT-come-lately fantasy politics simulator and made a show that was actually about monster hunting it would be a way better show.

Well it's easy to list off superficial similarities, but fantasy + tits and dragons doesn't a GoT show make. The fact that The Witcher is high fantasy while GoT is low fantasy makes a stark difference already, even before going into the fact that the source material for GoT is just plainly better. The Witcher is not gonna have remotely close to the same cultural impact.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The show’s timeline stuff was also an insane choice that added nothing to the narrative. Why not at least have a title card saying when a scene took place?

I’ve said before this is my one, big criticism. But I also get why they did it: they had 8 episodes to tell the story, had no idea if they would ever get more, and decided waiting until ep 7 to introduce Ciri wouldn’t work as well.
:shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I can only imagine that choice happened very late in production and was so that you'd get introduced to the characters simultaneously instead of having the show come to a halt and start following a little girl all of a sudden. A very bad decision, at any rate.

Ovenmaster posted:

The fact that The Witcher is high fantasy while GoT is low fantasy

This distinction is a fake idea.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
The timeline stuff is extra confusing because media usually goes one of two ways: either have generous use of 'x years earlier/later' for the audience's benefit, or witholding that information to set up a plot twist/oh snap moment later (read: Westworld). The Witcher somehow did neither; it's not a twist that Ciri running away was later in the story, it was just out of chronological order. The audience having to put that puzzle piece together by themselves just seems like they're afraid to use title cards because it's cliché or something.

It also runs the risk of having people be frustrated by character seperation: it's literally been the driving force Ciri's storyline that she needs to find Gerald, so you watch the Gerald parts eagerly waiting for a clue for him to cross paths with her. But then you find out that they're literally seperated by dozens of years and that drive for conflict resolution deflates.

Lurdiak posted:

This distinction is a fake idea.

:raise:

Ovenmaster fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 22, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I’ve said before this is my one, big criticism. But I also get why they did it: they had 8 episodes to tell the story, had no idea if they would ever get more, and decided waiting until ep 7 to introduce Ciri wouldn’t work as well.
:shrug:

It’s not that they had the timeline all over the place that I take issue with, it was just executed in an insane and dumb way by obsfucating when things were happening for zero payoff. In the first two episodes I had to rewind a few times to make sure I hadn’t dozed off and missed something.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1220044349335130112

Little Witcher Academia

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Witcher is already just Inuyasha for slavs, may as well go all the way and make it an anime too I guess.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched the pilot for 9-1-1 Lone Star. It was alright, still over the top like 9-1-1 Vanilla, but not quite in the same way. I don't think my roommate likes it since Rob Lowe isn't Angela Bassett, which is fine by me because I'm rather indifferent to either.

I will say though neither one is a slog to watch because it's almost as if the writer's room decided to skip directly season 4 "we've run out of ideas" plots. So far, this season of 9-1-1 had a multi-part episode about a tsunami, terrible acting by reoccurring guest star Rhonda Rousey, and one of the characters nearly killing someone in an underground fighting ring.

I watched it because I enjoy Rob Lowe. It's funny that he still has a lot of the same traits that he did in Parks and Rec. It's pretty bad, but it's fine to watch while you do something else, kinda like The Rookie.

Speaking of Parks and Rec, does anyone like *Angie Tribeca*? It's so, so very stupid, but I love Rashida Jones so I started it. I had no idea it was going to be a silly Airplane/Naked Gun sorta show with stupid jokes every 10 seconds.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I live in Austin so I can't watch it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ariza posted:

I watched it because I enjoy Rob Lowe. It's funny that he still has a lot of the same traits that he did in Parks and Rec. It's pretty bad, but it's fine to watch while you do something else, kinda like The Rookie.

Speaking of Parks and Rec, does anyone like *Angie Tribeca*? It's so, so very stupid, but I love Rashida Jones so I started it. I had no idea it was going to be a silly Airplane/Naked Gun sorta show with stupid jokes every 10 seconds.

I love the actual show Angie Tribeca as much as I hate the name of the show being Angie Tribeca. I don’t know why but I have a really strong, irrational dislike of it. Maybe because Tribeca is a word made of jamming a sentence together and doesn’t make sense as a person’s name?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

zoux posted:

I live in Austin so I can't watch it

Yeah, the trailer made it seem more "Texas" than the reality.

Last time I was in LA someone asked me if I took a horse to work. At least its not that bad, haha.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Angie Tribeca was fun but kind of hurt in the final season by having almost none of the regular cast around. Though they did do a lot to make up for it with Bobby Cannavale as Angie's grown up son, Angela Giles Jr.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Croatoan posted:

Georgia the state is over 10 million. You're thinking the country.

I wasn't the one who said it!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Angie Tribeca was fun but kind of hurt in the final season by having almost none of the regular cast around. Though they did do a lot to make up for it with Bobby Cannavale as Angie's grown up son, Angela Giles Jr.

Rashida is gone? I'm only a few episodes in, but I like that none of it matters at all. Just stupid gag after stupid gag, but without her I don't think I'll really like it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

me in the witchy thread posted:

Also high vs. low fantasy doesn't have anything to do with "grittiness" or "realism", it's just a barometer for how commonplace magical poo poo is. LOTR and The Witcher are both high fantasy because elves and dwarves and magic things are all over the place instead of rare things of myth and legend. When a mage shows up in a village in the Witcher and people go "Oh, mage? Can I pay you to teleport my goats to the market?", that's high fantasy. It's just high fantasy that doesn't treat the world like a PG fairy tale.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No, she was still around but Deon Cole and Hayes MacArthur are gone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'd argue that the Witcher is low magic, it just doesn't seem that way because it's about the magic users.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'd argue that the Witcher is low magic, it just doesn't seem that way because it's about the magic users.

Yeah, I mean with most things its relative.

LOTR is high fantasy compared to Conan.

LOTR is low fantasy compared to WoW.

Witcher is the same. Magic exists and people can use it, but not many and its hard.

More than Conan where magic is just kinda mystical, but less than WoW where every single person has floating shoulderpads and their house is powered by crystals that cook and clean for you.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

/\/\/\ Sure, it's a spectrum, I just prefer the spectrum of "how much does this affect a commoner's life" instead of "how many exploding heads and fucks" because the latter is like the :decorum: of sorting fiction and about as useful.

Iron Crowned posted:

A mage renting themselves out to what everyone thought was some freelance treasure hunter didn't raise any eyebrows, people aren't cooking their dinners with fireballs but it's common enough.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 23, 2020

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006

GoT isn't low fantasy because it's 'gritty' no, it's low fantasy because the focus is on normal human relations and conflict in a medieval society absent of magic, and the magical elements are rare but disruptive. But that's a very big divergence from The Witcher, to the point where the comparison really start to fall apart, and it's a difference that the viewer will perceive even if they don't understand the concept of low vs. high fantasy. When the witcher Gerald, a not quite human forged by magic to be a monster hunter with an unnaturally long life-span, in the first episode goes to talk to a wizard in an orgy tower with a door that's a magical projection, it sets the tone as 'campy' in the minds of most ordinary viewers, no matter how 'gritty' and 'realistic' it otherwise is. I can't see a campy fantasy show reaching GoT-level acclaim. That's why the high vs. low fantasy distinction matters.

Let's not go into how GoT actually turned campy in the later seasons, but that's after everyone was already convinced it was the best show ever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Imagine creating a sitcom that becomes insanely popular and critically acclaimed, imagine closing down certain plot avenues because the writing itself has empathically said that no, Ted and Robin together is a terrible idea. Imagine writing an episode in the final season where Ted definitely and conclusively lets Robin go and like three episodes later re litigate the entire goddamn thing much to the chagrin of your viewers, and then you still proceed to piss down your pant leg the legacy your show could’ve had with a terrible ending.
Man what a bunch of jokers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ovenmaster posted:

GoT isn't low fantasy because it's 'gritty' no, it's low fantasy because the focus is on normal human relations and conflict in a medieval society absent of magic, and the magical elements are rare but disruptive. But that's a very big divergence from The Witcher, to the point where the comparison really start to fall apart, and it's a difference that the viewer will perceive even if they don't understand the concept of low vs. high fantasy. When the witcher Gerald, a not quite human forged by magic to be a monster hunter with an unnaturally long life-span, in the first episode goes to talk to a wizard in an orgy tower with a door that's a magical projection, it sets the tone as 'campy' in the minds of most ordinary viewers, no matter how 'gritty' and 'realistic' it otherwise is. I can't see a campy fantasy show reaching GoT-level acclaim. That's why the high vs. low fantasy distinction matters.

Let's not go into how GoT actually turned campy in the later seasons, but that's after everyone was already convinced it was the best show ever.

I dunno. Surely the increasing popularity of Thrones despite its sillier and campier elements (they're not the same thing) belies the idea that camp isn't popular; people aren't just sheep, if they didn't want to watch a high production soap opera about utterly insane nonsense they probably wouldn't have watched half of that show. American Horror Story's most popular seasons are also (somehow) significantly campier than its others. For its first few seasons BSG's main villain was a six feet tall hallucinatory supermodel who quotes the Hulk, and that's meant to be the show's high point.

Also, Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars (all Star Wars), they're both ridiculously camp. Particularly Jackson's LotR's. Elijah Wood moaning at assassins, everything Smeagol, everything Sam, everything Galadriel. A man is set of fire and decides to make his death even more dramatic by jumping off the highest point of his own city, an event the story then follows with a MacBeth adaptation.

Game of Thrones' acclaim was manufactured as much as it was legitimate. The AV club will give anything an A if it guarantees them enough clicks, particularly as they're still desperate to repair the damage done to their commenting community during the last few regime changes. I can't imagine many other sites are very different. It's notable that the actually good writers that are still around -- Matt Zoller Seitz, Emily Nussbaum -- basically just shut up about it until after it was basically all over.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 23, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

The games are way more character driven than the show, and also written about 20 times better.

Because the games were written by fans of the series, and since Sapkowski said "Idgaf just cut me a flat rate check for the rights" they wrote everything themselves building off his work and it's basically fanfiction written by a writing team with constant feedback and editing to make a generally great story.

On the subject of the show, there's all the books to milk (5 seaons+), and Netflix desperately needs a crossover smash success, so if it maintains its momentum if/when they finish the books and start debating adapting the games there's a massive legal hurdle in that CDPR owns the games and their IP outright and don't owe Sapkowski anything for them.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Sleeveless posted:

loving christ, do you ever have something positive to say about anything? Or is it just endless chastizing and general misanthropy?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ashpanash posted:

loving christ, do you ever have something positive to say about anything? Or is it just endless chastizing and general misanthropy?

It's a guy mann rereg who can't stop complaining how people will follow him from thread to thread insulting him, and also insists that referring to them as "guy mann" is as bad as deadnaming a trans person. Most threads he regularly posts in people just put him on ignore.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno. Surely the increasing popularity of Thrones despite its sillier and campier elements (they're not the same thing) belies the idea that camp isn't popular; people aren't just sheep, if they didn't want to watch a high production soap opera about utterly insane nonsense they probably wouldn't have watched half of that show.

I feel like I'm going into speculative territory here, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think to call GoT's acclaim even partly manufactured is doing it a disservice. The later seasons were mediocre to bad (with some good parts) and its popularity was almost solely driven by inertia and word of mouth, but the initial growing base in its first seasons was driven by strong characters, the interpersonal drama and conflict, and the unpredictable plot. It had a good vision with strong writing behind it, and I don't think it was 'despite' anything that people watched it because I don't regard the introductory world-building to be silly or campy. The tone was about political intrigue between lords in castles, and the harsh realities of medieval society, which is not really what most would relate to fantasy. It's significantly easier to set that tone when you don't start with: ".. and the witch-council of Asarbad made a pact to imprison the evil sorceress Fumblesticks ..." or some other nonsense. Even the white walker part in the first episode is sparse on details and played as a horror movie.

But that isn't even to say that I think camp is bad, it's just in The Witcher's case it undercuts its otherwise more serious tone. I think that's what people are recognizing when they complain about the show refusing to pick a lane and sticking to it, instead of hedging between Game of Thrones and Xena: Warrior Princess. And that is in my opinion a flaw stemming from the high fantasy nature of the world.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Open Source Idiom posted:

Game of Thrones' acclaim was manufactured as much as it was legitimate.

Remember when y'all were swearing that Netflix was lying about the viewership numbers for The Witcher and then the (publicly viewable) player numbers for the game had their highest number of players ever? It must be incredibly comforting to think that any critic who disagrees with your personal opinions is just lying and secretly agrees with you but reality says otherwise.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ronda Rousey gave one of the single worst voice-acting performances I've ever encountered in my entire life (in an otherwise wonderful Mortal Kombat story), anyone who hires to her act beyond what the WWE makes her do is an idiot, full stop end of discussion

Calaveron posted:

Imagine creating a sitcom that becomes insanely popular and critically acclaimed, imagine closing down certain plot avenues because the writing itself has empathically said that no, Ted and Robin together is a terrible idea. Imagine writing an episode in the final season where Ted definitely and conclusively lets Robin go and like three episodes later re litigate the entire goddamn thing much to the chagrin of your viewers, and then you still proceed to piss down your pant leg the legacy your show could’ve had with a terrible ending.
Man what a bunch of jokers.

remember when they pretty much had a How I Met Your Father all ready to go starring infuriatingly-not-Oscar-nominated Director Greta Gerwig in the starring role and then that finale aired and everyone was like "nah i don't want to meet anyone else thank you"?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

pentyne posted:

It's a guy mann rereg who can't stop complaining how people will follow him from thread to thread insulting him, and also insists that referring to them as "guy mann" is as bad as deadnaming a trans person. Most threads he regularly posts in people just put him on ignore.

Seriously, just stop replying to known badposters and we'll all be better off.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

DC Murderverse posted:

Ronda Rousey gave one of the single worst voice-acting performances I've ever encountered in my entire life (in an otherwise wonderful Mortal Kombat story), anyone who hires to her act beyond what the WWE makes her do is an idiot, full stop end of discussion

The first time I saw Ronda at all in the Expendables 3, which I thought she was really good. But man everything she has been in since has been god awful.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ashpanash posted:

He got banned from CD, to give you an idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DC Murderverse posted:

Oh my god, that VA performance she did was loving awful. Tricia Helfer was the VA for Sonya in MKX, and going from her pretty drat good performance to Rousey’s middle school play level line reads was painful.

Also, I would do terrible things for a Netflix MK series. C’mon, make it happen.