Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

soggybagel posted:

A bit behind here but the stuff about ESPN scaling back baseball coverage feels very much reminiscent to how they slowly peeled back from hockey in the early 90’s to late 90’s/early 2000’s. Where it went from multiple hockey games a week to one and having heavy espn coverage on the fledgling ESPN 2 for a period. Also they go from carrying playoff hockey to nothing.

Right now I believe Fox has the World Series for another year and will likely try to secure long term bids. They have all Star rights, a four or five night a week highlight show. Etc.

Huh? They have MLB rights to 2028

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fox-sports-major-league-baseball-extend-rights-deal-2028-1158490

As for ESPN, It's clear they only care about NBA/NCAA/NFL so the sooner they rid themselves of baseball, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

MourningView posted:

I kinda doubt they'd get out of baseball entirely just because it fills time during an otherwise dead period of the sports calendar

Yeah trying to let tennis and golf carry the summer for them doesn't sound like a winning prospect. Baseball ratings aren't really declining any worse than ratings for live television are across the board; jettisoning MLB isn't gonna be the thing that will save ESPN.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/sarafischer/status/1219613481600716806
The Athletic says this year they'll be profitable, honest.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

MourningView posted:

Their NBA coverage is awful aside from Shea and Netw3rk making jokes.

and yet their entire site is built around NBA coverage and laser-focus on how great one HBO show is (currently Succession, formerly Game of Thrones)

they're lucky that right now people lap up NBA minutiae with a soup spoon, because once people get tired of the NBA there's not much left to hold up the Ringer unlike Grantland. hell that site had Holly Anderson, Rafe Bartholomew, Down Goes Brown and Katie Baker, and look at where they are now: Aunt Stabby's back at SB Nation, Sean and Rafe are at The Athletic, and Katie Bakes fell off the earth and doesn't even do the New York Times Vows reviews anymore.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's being propped up by podcasts mostly, which is why Spotify wants it. The site is mostly a vanity thing and isn't trying to do the same thing Grantland was.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Front Office Sport says Simmons' asking price is $200 million, and other sites have mentioned a 9-figure asking price, which tells me Bill would rather not sell at all because holy poo poo that's a massive ask.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Troy Queef posted:

Katie Bakes fell off the earth and doesn't even do the New York Times Vows reviews anymore.

bakes hasn't done the Vows reviews since Grantland died I think, but she is reliably churning out a new feature every couple of weeks. The story about why Eugene Melnyk sucks looks interesting.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm a big fan of The Watch, the podcast about TV where neither host really watches TV anymore.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DJExile posted:

Front Office Sport says Simmons' asking price is $200 million, and other sites have mentioned a 9-figure asking price, which tells me Bill would rather not sell at all because holy poo poo that's a massive ask.

“gently caress you money” as the aging gen x-ers say

sports podcasts are one of the few podcasts that still really do numbers (which makes a lot of sense given the transitional market from radio) so as an advertising investment it makes sense; i think bill might be overvaluing it and/or doesn’t want to give up the creative freedom he has

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If he's enjoying it and making bank, seems reasonable that he just put forward an out there asking price. If they bite then great, if not he's still in a good place going forward. Sort of like if somebody wants to buy your house that you're not really interested in selling.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Declan MacManus posted:

“gently caress you money” as the aging gen x-ers say

sports podcasts are one of the few podcasts that still really do numbers (which makes a lot of sense given the transitional market from radio) so as an advertising investment it makes sense; i think bill might be overvaluing it and/or doesn’t want to give up the creative freedom he has

I mean, he might just not really want to cash out so you just ask up front for the money it would take for you to even consider it.

Spotify has been clearly trying to be a big podcast destination for a little while now so outright owning that whole network is an obvious move for them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Athletic really needs the ability to mute reporters because they've now hired at least two guys who I originally came to the Athletic as a refuge from and seeing them all in my notifications sucks.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The $200M may be just the opening bid in a negotiation. Ask for $200M, they counter for $60M, you go back and forth and settle around $125M.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
you love to see it

https://mobile.twitter.com/IWWFJU/status/1219713656369418245

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm glad the labor board actually did something about it but I don't know if that qualifies as fuuuuuuuuuuuucked

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, deleting 2 tweets and a video doesn't exactly scream "lol get owned"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

also, the damage is very obviously done already so this is a bunch of nothing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The biggest thing this does is create an actual pattern and consequences for his anti-union stance, which will help the next time something happens. But yeah, not exactly the stiffest of consequences.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Unless I'm reading it wrong, they have to post it at work for all of their employees to see, which is sure to piss off management while most of the employees never even notice.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/WallenderAndrew/status/1219738286895267841

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Dave Portnoy's girlfriend by a soulcycle instructor?

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 22, 2020

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Dave Portnoy's girlfriend by a soulcycle instructor?

:golfclap:

But how many Barstool employees work from the office? Most of them probably work from home.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The X-man cometh posted:

:golfclap:

But how many Barstool employees work from the office? Most of them probably work from home.

That's why you have

https://mobile.twitter.com/hassankanu/status/1219738837209034752

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/mollylambert/status/1220084597125332992?s=20

Also had a deleted tweet blaming the death of Grantland on "backstabbing cowards":

https://twitter.com/Rafeboogs/status/1220087226350153728?s=20

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I was thinking about the Spotify/Ringer thing again and I don't get why the Ringer brand is substantially more valuable than the talent. Maybe I'm wrong but isn't podcasting primarily driven by hosts/on air talent? I get that you may try out a few podcasts if they're somewhat related but are people really listening because of a brand and not because the hosts are entertaining ? This is all to say, why would a company buy the whole thing when they can just poach the shows and hosts who do the best work?. It's like if the Athletic decided to pay a premium to buy Yahoo Sports instead of just stealing the people who everyone was going there to read. Then again maybe I'm underestimating The Ringers ability to launch new podcasts and grow the business better than Spotify would after the initial poaching. Please advise.

Or does Bill Simmons think that the money would be for him as "the talent" the way Howard Stern got that satellite radio deal ?

BWV fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 22, 2020

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BWV posted:

I was thinking about the Spotify/Ringer thing again and I don't get why the Ringer brand is substantially more valuable than the talent. Maybe I'm wrong but isn't podcasting primarily driven by hosts/on air talent? I get that you may try out a few podcasts if they're somewhat related but are people really listening because of a brand and not because the hosts are entertaining ? This is all to say, why would a company buy the whole thing when they can just poach the shows and hosts who do the best work?. It's like if the Athletic decided to pay a premium to buy Yahoo Sports instead of just stealing the people who everyone was going there to read. Then again maybe I'm underestimating The Ringers ability to launch new podcasts and grow the business better than Spotify would after the initial poaching. Please advise.

Or does Bill Simmons think that the money would be for him as "the talent" the way Howard Stern got that satellite radio deal ?

Spotify has been silently gobbling up podcast networks for the last year or two and letting them keep their original branding to be some sort of imprint label while turning into their exclusive distributor.

They got Parcast, Anchor, Gimlet, and Last Podcast on the Left from what I remember.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Another recap of the Death of Deadspin, this time from Samer: https://www.cjr.org/special_report/deadspin-gawker-gomedia.php

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

I think association with Bill Simmons is a pretty big part of why most of the other shows do well. Some of them are probably big enough now that they could be fine otherwise but the Simmons connection and having him promote their stuff a ton on his show probably helps a whole lot.

Unless you mean they should be trying to buy Simmons without the rest of the ringer but I don't know if he'd do that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
A bunch of these podcasts might have contracts, its not unusual to sign that kinda stuff if Ringer is bootstrapping you. It's like the old Conan deal, instead of waiting for someone who is not legally allowed to talk basketball in a podcast's contract to run out, just buy the company.

$200m seems like an awful, awful lot for that but what do I know.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Spotify has been silently gobbling up podcast networks for the last year or two and letting them keep their original branding to be some sort of imprint label while turning into their exclusive distributor.

They got Parcast, Anchor, Gimlet, and Last Podcast on the Left from what I remember.

Is it possible that this is related to why some podcasts I listen to refuse to download in certain locations but will work when I get on a different wifi?

Probably not but I have been at a loss to explain this and its difficult to google for so I figured I'd try.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lockback posted:

A bunch of these podcasts might have contracts, its not unusual to sign that kinda stuff if Ringer is bootstrapping you. It's like the old Conan deal, instead of waiting for someone who is not legally allowed to talk basketball in a podcast's contract to run out, just buy the company.

$200m seems like an awful, awful lot for that but what do I know.

For reference Spotify just spent around that on a podcast network I've never heard of:

quote:

GIMLET MEDIA (ACQUIRED FEBRUARY 2019). DEAL PRICE: $195M.

As for Gimlet Media, it was the biggest deal of the bunch.

Spotify acquired the podcast producer on February 15 for a total consideration of €172m ($195m), consisting of €170m ($193m) in cash.

The remainder of this purchase price (€2m) was “related to the fair value of partially vested share-based payment awards replaced”.

Multiple press reports in February suggested Spotify paid over $200m – perhaps as much as $230m – for Gimlet, but it looks like the true number was slightly south of these figures.

New York-based Gimlet is the creator of podcasts such as Startup, Crimetown and The Pitch. It was founded in 2014 by Alex Blumberg and Matt Lieber.

In its SEC filing last week, Spotify said this buyout would allow it “to leverage Gimlet’s in-depth knowledge of original content production and podcast monetization”.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

iirc, I think there's some sentiment among certain factions of ex-Grantlanders that what truly doomed the site was Sean Fennessey turning down the top chair and then jumping ship to found the Ringer with Ryan and Rubin. And I think the people who never hooked up with The Ringer are still bitter about being left out. Also doesn't help that biggest congregation of former Grantland writers -- Mark Lisanti's MTV News relaunch -- got pivoted to video about a year later.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

howe_sam posted:

iirc, I think there's some sentiment among certain factions of ex-Grantlanders that what truly doomed the site was Sean Fennessey turning down the top chair and then jumping ship to found the Ringer with Ryan and Rubin. And I think the people who never hooked up with The Ringer are still bitter about being left out. Also doesn't help that biggest congregation of former Grantland writers -- Mark Lisanti's MTV News relaunch -- got pivoted to video about a year later.

Yeah, that was basically the reporting at the time

quote:

In retrospect, the editorial exodus looks to have been more or less the end. One Grantlander says that no one knew the four editors were leaving to join Simmons until the day they left. That’s because, another source says, Simmons has been warring with ESPN both by acting as a source for writer Jim Miller, and by more nefarious means.

While Grantland writers are on contract, editors are at-will. The four editors’ exits were coordinated, and Simmons, according to this source, told the editors who jumped ship with him that a condition of their employment was that they couldn’t warn anyone at ESPN they were leaving, in order to hit the site as hard as possible.

“He put his beef with [ESPN president John] Skipper above the jobs of dozens of people,” one Grantland staffer said.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

morestuff posted:

“He put his beef with [ESPN president John] Skipper above the jobs of dozens of people,” one Grantland staffer said.
LOL that's so Simmons.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It seems like there are other reasons for not warning ESPN that you're poaching their talent than spite.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Bip Roberts posted:

It seems like there are other reasons for not warning ESPN that you're poaching their talent than spite.

yeah but that doesn’t help the talent you’re not poaching, and even if you might not want to take them with you, you’re also loving them out of a job and keeping them from lining something else up

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bip Roberts posted:

You underestimate just how truly and deeply Bill Simmons and John Skipper completely and utterly despise one another.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Timby posted:

You underestimate just how truly and deeply Bill Simmons and John Skipper completely and utterly despise one another.

DAZN is a sponsor and he's been on Bill's podcast so must not be too bad.

like ultimately Grantland blew up in large part because Bill was really mad about deflategate; I'd probably he a little annoyed with him too if I were someone who lost my job as a result

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I think they patched things up when Skipper got clean.

Even if Deflategate never happened, things between Simmons and ESPN were going to blow up eventually because espn is first and foremost a tv company that prioritizes tv personalities, and if there's one thing Simmons isn't, it's a tv personality. He was never going to be the most favored son like Stephen A and that was going always be a source of friction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crimetown is a good podcast