Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squizzle posted:

you gotta say it “bwing” instead of “bee wing” and suddenly it’s great

My god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I liked these cute little guys from the Dark Empire saga

The Shadow Droids, piloted by the cyborg brains of fallen Imperial TIE pilots and "empowered by the dark side" whatever that means!

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

The Incom T-65 X-wing is the fighter that killed the Death Star. An almost perfect balance of speed, maneuverability, and defensive shielding make it the fighter of choice for Rogue Squadron.

The Y-Wing is the work horse of the rebel fleet. It’s not quick or flashy but it gets the job done. The armor on this ship is extensive, and the shields will protect you from just about anything, which is good, because you won’t be going anywhere fast. The Y-Wing is used mainly as a bomber because it can carry a heavy payload of missiles, torpedoes and bombs. The other important weapon is the topside ION cannon, which rather than destroying a target, can disable it for later capture. Our cannons have a computer assisted auto-fire feature, so don’t forget that when your in the heat of battle.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The TIE Phantom, so overpowered it only appeared in a single video game, whose plot was entirely about destroying every last one of these little bastards to make sure they never appeared anywhere else in Star Wars.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

zoux posted:

What's so good about B-wings exactly and also do they actually appear in any of the movies

One of the rebellion's most well armed star fighters, the B-Wing has been personally designed by Admiral Ackbar. The B-Wing supports an array of weapons including Ion canons, Proton Torpedo launchers and laser canons. Because the cockpit is surrounded by a unique gyro-stabilization system, the pilot always remains stationary, even as the rest of the ship rotates during flight.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

nine-gear crow posted:

The TIE Phantom, so overpowered it only appeared in a single video game, whose plot was entirely about destroying every last one of these little bastards to make sure they never appeared anywhere else in Star Wars.

And then they showed up in the X-Wing miniatures game, where they were so overpowered they had to be nerfed into the ground by FFG pretty much immediately (and were still pretty good afterwards)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

One of the rebellion's most well armed star fighters, the B-Wing has been personally designed by Admiral Ackbar. The B-Wing supports an array of weapons including Ion canons, Proton Torpedo launchers and laser canons. Because the cockpit is surrounded by a unique gyro-stabilization system, the pilot always remains stationary, even as the rest of the ship rotates during flight.

Lol can you imagine Mark Milley showing up to the Pentagon with a new tank he designed on a cocktail napkin

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This thread makes me mourn the loss of Factor 5 developed rogue squadron games.

:rip:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

looks like a less clunky tie defender, p neat

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cartoon Man posted:

This thread makes me mourn the loss of Factor 5 developed rogue squadron games.

:rip:

:same:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

iospace posted:

The Y-wing is the A-10 of the Star Wars verse and I will not accept any other arguments.

Actually it's the work horse of the rebel fleet

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Roth posted:

Actually it's the work horse of the rebel fleet

Thanks for agreeing.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm not a big fan of TIEs because they have pretty bad visibility. And if you aren't using the in-cockpit view, are you really getting the full Experience?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What are the, uh, waffle things on the side of tie fighters for exactly

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

SaturdayKnight posted:

Jedi Starfighters are rad, but I can't believe nobody has mentioned the TIE Interceptor.

It's got dagger wings, like, how can you not like this?

Yeah, this is my choice too and they feel the best to fly in X-Wing/TIE Fighter games.

I always liked the idea of the Preybird fighter:

Just a very mediocre ship, like something between a Y-Wing and an X-Wing but not as good as either at fulfilling a certain role.

The reason it's so interesting to me is that in the original EU, these are what the remnant Empire started buying from a third party to replace the TIE series because using un-shielded fighters just didn't make sense after their unlimited manpower pool and respective pilot academies ceased to exist. Idk, I just like the idea of the Empire facing facts and changing into something else.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also:

X-Wing: the F-16. Decent at pretty much any role you want it to be in, but really it's nothing special in the end. An, admittedly, solid all-around fighter.
A-Wing: F-15. It's fast, has gently caress you huge engines, and is designed to take down other fighters. Don't expect it to do much else though.
B-Wing: F-14. It's cool looking, can do work, but the gimmicks make it a maintenance nightmare. Naturally nerds love it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

zoux posted:

What's so good about B-wings exactly and also do they actually appear in any of the movies

they are like the most glorious ankh made of pyoo and boom given metal flesh

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The E-wing owns pretty hard but I prefer this fanon design more than the official version:

Not sure how the pilot gets in with the dorsal gun in the way? maybe there's a side hinge that rotates the gun upside down and to one side to allow to canopy to open, or maybe the canopy doesn't open at all and he climbs in through a bottom hatch.

This version eschewing the top gun entirely is pretty cool too, but I'd add a second gun under each wing to make up for it:

I also dig the fact that they finally figured out to put the astromech copilot in a covered hatch rather than get its dome shot off like R2-D2.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

bullshit that’s a lie it was by that one alien in rebels!!!!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

loving god the tie defender is ugly as poo poo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lookin like a Wikipedia article about dodecahedrons.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i still have no idea how it lands. actually come to think of it im not sure how any tie lands

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

When was it first established that TIEs were cheap chaff anyway? They were always pretty evenly matched with Rebel fighters in the movies.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

dupersaurus posted:

Uh excuse me

How can one thread be so wrong?

A-Wings kick so much rear end

cuntman.net posted:

i still have no idea how it lands. actually come to think of it im not sure how any tie lands

they hang from the ceiling of the hangar on racks

tie defender looks like rear end. really hard to make a non-airplane shaped starfighter that doesn't look like dogshit

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

cuntman.net posted:

Duh:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

tie defender looks like rear end. really hard to make a non-airplane shaped starfighter that doesn't look like dogshit

I dig Fractalsponge's interpretation, he made the cockpit module and connecting spars a lot bulkier so it doesn't look like it'll fall apart if it spins too hard

http://fractalsponge.net/?p=2650

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

:wtc:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ThingOne posted:

When was it first established that TIEs were cheap chaff anyway? They were always pretty evenly matched with Rebel fighters in the movies.

It's always been in the side materials. The TIEs had the advantage of speed and maneuverability as opposed to the Rebel fighters, which were slower in combat mode (A-Wing exempted here) but were beefier by way of shielding. They didn't get much play in New Hope, because during the Death Star run, only Vader's group launched (so you had much more skilled pilots than normal), and during the Death Star escape, they were going against a heavily modified freighter, which had heavier shields than your standard fighter.

In ESB, they really didn't get much use at all except to chase the Falcon, and the only real large TIE vs Rebel fighters battle was in RotJ, where it was pretty much "overwhelm the enemy with superior numbers" on the Empire's side of things.

As for landing, they usually landed on racks in the hangers of their home ship, but they could land on the bottom of their wings apparently, but never was shown in canon.

iospace fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 23, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

nine-gear crow posted:

they kinda bug me since i like that a different source claimed that true cloaking shields were double-blind so while you can make a ship invisible it also can't see anything; which i though was a fun drawback

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i loved this so much

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

What the gently caress

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

El Burbo posted:

What the gently caress

From the hit show on Disney plus, The Mandolorian

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

That was the most "oh yeah, that makes sense." moment I've ever had watching anything.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 23, 2020

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
They're radiators for dissipating heat. They've always been radiators. The props crew and the concept artists called them radiators. Them being called solar panels is a result of idiots being stupid and other idiots parroting previous idiots.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Speleothing posted:

They're radiators for dissipating heat. They've always been radiators. The props crew and the concept artists called them radiators. Them being called solar panels is a result of idiots being stupid and other idiots parroting previous idiots.

theyre blinders, in case an officer is inside one on horseback

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So where are the radiators on all the other starfighters hmm

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

inside the horses

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

look, the empire sucks at starship design and the TIE Fighter is cheap as poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rebel pilot: sweating, angry, can't get rid of this guy
TIE pilot: cool and calm in the climate controlled cabin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

SaturdayKnight posted:

Jedi Starfighters are rad, but I can't believe nobody has mentioned the TIE Interceptor.

It's got dagger wings, like, how can you not like this?

This is also a valid answer

Pollyanna posted:

a wing suuuuucks

no u