Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Is Cyber Sleuth the new game that’s a lot like Digimon World but good? I just realized it’s available on the switch and could use a time sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

A different dimension that’s the providence of mysticism and gods and magic is far more the norm than the concept of the Digital World being born from digital data. Like. What you’re describing is the basis for 99% of fantasy worlds. It’s not really unique.

A fusion of sci-fi and fantasy IS unique. That's what I was getting at. It's a technological setting, but one with a heavy dose of mysticism and magic. Where neither of those things are bad- they coexist and mingle.

Also what's unique are the actual Digimon themselves- you don't go to Narnia and find a giant cyborg T-rex with a sweet mask and missile nipples

The digital world BEING the Digital World, where all these Digimon are, is what sets it apart. I don't give a poo poo about elves and dwarves- give me villages of tiny talking heads and diners run by irate egg demons.

We also see very, very little of the Adventure Digital World. It was stated to be the same size as the Earth, but we only go through a small Island and part of what I assume was Asia's mainland.

But the super mega city that the Dark Masters mushed together proves that there is more to the world than we see. Imagine they actually got to visit one of those cities before the Dark Masters murdered everyone and remixed them. You could have a Pukumon running for mayor or the trash guys as the garbagemen

We know Digimon created societies in Adventure, and as I alluded many even ran businesses.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheHan posted:

Is Cyber Sleuth the new game that’s a lot like Digimon World but good? I just realized it’s available on the switch and could use a time sink.

You're confusing two different games. The one on the Switch is indeed Cyber Sleuth, but the one that takes from the original World is Next Order, a PS4/Vita game. Cyber Sleuth (and Hacker's Memory, which comes on the Switch pack) is a turn-based RPG and also extremely good.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TheHan posted:

Cyber Sleuth is a JRPG a la Digimon World 2 and the previous DS Digimon games. It’s good, I highly recommend it

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
There's also not a ton of mindless grinding for digivolutions in Cyber Sleuth and even the most involved mega level DNA digivolutions can usually be done pretty easily with a little effort and some PlatinumSukamon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

A fusion of sci-fi and fantasy IS unique. That's what I was getting at. It's a technological setting, but one with a heavy dose of mysticism and magic. Where neither of those things are bad- they coexist and mingle.

Also what's unique are the actual Digimon themselves- you don't go to Narnia and find a giant cyborg T-rex with a sweet mask and missile nipples

The digital world BEING the Digital World, where all these Digimon are, is what sets it apart. I don't give a poo poo about elves and dwarves- give me villages of tiny talking heads and diners run by irate egg demons.

We also see very, very little of the Adventure Digital World. It was stated to be the same size as the Earth, but we only go through a small Island and part of what I assume was Asia's mainland.

But the super mega city that the Dark Masters mushed together proves that there is more to the world than we see. Imagine they actually got to visit one of those cities before the Dark Masters murdered everyone and remixed them. You could have a Pukumon running for mayor or the trash guys as the garbagemen

We know Digimon created societies in Adventure, and as I alluded many even ran businesses.

The thing is, none of those things are like the hints at broader stuff in other series. The Dark Masters arc implies that these things are the way they are because the Dark Masters wanted it that way to suit their individual themes. Piemon’s whole realm is a big empty field with a castle for crying out loud. Aside from that, outside of wacky wayside tribes and inexplicable factories we don’t get much sense of what Digimon communities are like in Adventure like we do in other series. Even when 02 introduces Digimon villages they’re treated more like pockets of people to save. Where is the non-Monzaemon population of Toy Town? Give Andromon Hagurumon and Kokuwamon co-workers. Do stuff like that.

And it’s one thing to have monsters with sci fi trappings, but in operation, they’re still fantasy world creatures. The only part of Adventure that deals with the digital part of Digimon in any meaningful capacity is Our War Game

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TheHan posted:

It's worth mentioning that Digimon games as of about a decade ago split into different "Brands". Most of the DS games were "Digimon Story" games and were more traditional JRPGs somewhere between Shin Megami Tensei and Pokemon in gameplay. Meanwhile there's a separate branch of "Digimon World" games that are akin to the original and essentially monster raising sims. The upcoming Digimon Survive is slated to be a new brand of Digimon's game division and will therefore have different gameplay and story assumptions.

Cyber Sleuth, more properly "Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth", was as the name implies a Story game and has little resemblance to the original Digimon World but is still good quite at being what it is. Digimon World Next Order on the PS4 is, as the name confirms, a World game so it's a wonky but somewhat endearing monster raising sim akin to the original Digimon World with many of the same mechanics.

Confusing matters, incidentally, is that the first two Digimon Story games were released in America on the DS... As "Digimon World DS" and "Digimon World Dawn and Dusk". It took until Cyber Sleuth for the branding in the titles to be accurate.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

There's also not a ton of mindless grinding for digivolutions in Cyber Sleuth and even the most involved mega level DNA digivolutions can usually be done pretty easily with a little effort and some PlatinumSukamon.

something worth noting is the switch version of cyber sleuth has in-game time pass while the switch is asleep but the game is still active, so there's even less grind with your farm getting maxed out while you're not playing

anyway what's this about platinumsukamon?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Cyber Sleuth grinding is oddly relaxing because the exp just flows out from trash mobs, got drat near 3/4 the DigiDex before fighting Crusadermon (and that fight sucks.)

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Brother Entropy posted:

anyway what's this about platinumsukamon?

They mean Platinum Numemon, the exp and bling king of Digimon. It just being in a fight gives you a huge exp boost. It also hold 3 items, that can be the item that replicates its ability(I think it'scalled Tactical USB). And they all stack, so get 2 more Numemon and 6 more USB sticks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Omnicrom posted:

As "Digimon World DS" and "Digimon World Dawn and Dusk". It took until Cyber Sleuth for the branding in the titles to be accurate.
I tried to LP Dawn a while back and it is just aggressively unfriendly as a game, no matter how much I love it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dawn and Dusk would be amazing games if they had a goddamn map.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

I tried to LP Dawn a while back and it is just aggressively unfriendly as a game, no matter how much I love it

Thankfully, Cyber Sleuth takes the basic gameplay but fixes the horrible errors the DS Stories had. It has an engaging plot and characters, far less grinding and a battle screen that doesn't look like it comes from a really old Dragon Quest game but with far less personality.

Also no swamps.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Rudoku posted:

They mean Platinum Numemon, the exp and bling king of Digimon. It just being in a fight gives you a huge exp boost. It also hold 3 items, that can be the item that replicates its ability(I think it'scalled Tactical USB). And they all stack, so get 2 more Numemon and 6 more USB sticks.

Yep you're right. I forgot Numemon had a bigger XP boost than Sukamon does.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
Dawn/Dusk would have been way less annoying if they had a repel or something to avoid encounters.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Well it may literally not be the game I thought it was you all did convince me to give a buy!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Funky Valentine posted:

Dawn and Dusk would be amazing games if they had a goddamn map.

siotle posted:

Dawn/Dusk would have been way less annoying if they had a repel or something to avoid encounters.

It's almost like Cyber Sleuth iterated on design and added quality of life features to make the games less aggravating! And hats off to them for that. Hell, they did it again in Hacker's Memory.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

It's almost like Cyber Sleuth iterated on design and added quality of life features to make the games less aggravating! And hats off to them for that. Hell, they did it again in Hacker's Memory.
I have so much nostalgia for Dawn, but it just did not age well.

Edit: Does the Adventure PSP game get less linear/dry? I just finished the Garurumon mission, and while it's a fine enough game (though the cheaping out on animations is obvious quickly and constantly), I don't think the simple combat/gameplay loop and "mostly linear hallways with a few random encounters and the occasional item" environments are enough to get me through the entire story.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 22, 2020

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit: Does the Adventure PSP game get less linear/dry? I just finished the Garurumon mission, and while it's a fine enough game (though the cheaping out on animations is obvious quickly and constantly), I don't think the simple combat/gameplay loop and "mostly linear hallways with a few random encounters and the occasional item" environments are enough to get me through the entire story.

No, it does not. There's one or two areas that are bigger and less linear, but they're rare and the game is ultimately a fairly straight shot to the end.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The main original stuff comes in late, late. When you're able to unlock the megas of the others and such.

The game is very much a PSP JRPG. You can tell this was very much designed to be played on the go, half paid attention to.

On the plus side keeping everyone level with one another is fairly easy and there's no real grind to speak of. If you want to experience the story of Adventure as an RPG, this is your game! If you want anything else, eeeeh

I think my favorite team to have is Garudamon, Metal Greymon and Zudomon, because they're all so gently caress off huge that the camera struggles to compensate

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I played Dusk for the first time either a year ago or two years and man, I’ve never played a game that was both incredibly bad and extremely my poo poo. There are some truly awful decisions in that game but I enjoyed it a lot

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Bandai could probably steal some thunder from Pokemon if they announced that the next World or Story game was going to have every Digimon included, after all including everyone was one of Pokemon's big selling points from Gen 2 onward, and now that they abandoned it that leaves a gap in the market

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hell yeah, 30 different agumons -- someone out there, i guess

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I’ve always been more of a Gururumon man, myself.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's gotta be more Digimon than Pokemon right?

That would be a stupid roster in a great way

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I remember when I was like...11, that was my one of my big flex points over Pokemon fans. Plus the "cartoon" having actual plot.

I don't think I could replay Digimon World DS or Dawn/Dusk these days, but they were definitely a fun play at release, especially since there'd been no Digimon RPGs for a while? I remember not getting World 4 because it was some action-y hybrid that didn't look any good even then. I do remember being a bit burned by Digimon World Championship, but even that ended up fun in a way once you built a team?

Now Digimon World Next Order? That is entirely my poo poo and ended up being my favorite PS4 game released last decade.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

drrockso20 posted:

Bandai could probably steal some thunder from Pokemon if they announced that the next World or Story game was going to have every Digimon included, after all including everyone was one of Pokemon's big selling points from Gen 2 onward, and now that they abandoned it that leaves a gap in the market

This is just not feasible, though. Hacker’s Memory had fewer total monsters than Sword and Shield did, and it added 90 new Digimon! Add the fact that each Digimon needs to be able to evolve/devolve into multiple other Digimon, and even matching the amount of Pokémon in Sword and Shield after the Armor and Crown dlc would add an insane amount of bloat

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

TheHan posted:

I’ve always been more of a Gururumon man, myself.

The big ugly bug mons are where it's at.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The key is obviously to abuse lots of Digimon being palette swaps, and just change some stats around and maybe the color of some particle effects. As for their evolution tracks... that's more complicated.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

SpazmasterX posted:

The big ugly bug mons are where it's at.

As a kid with poor eyesight and worse focus I could never tell if these goofy motherfuckers were coming or going. Multiple arms and wings all overlapping and all the same color. Aggressively kid unfriendly.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

There are approximately almost 1200 Digimon, along with a ton of one-offs, unique recolors, fusions, and other weird things. With more coming every month or so.

They better get to work.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

This is just not feasible, though. Hacker’s Memory had fewer total monsters than Sword and Shield did, and it added 90 new Digimon! Add the fact that each Digimon needs to be able to evolve/devolve into multiple other Digimon, and even matching the amount of Pokémon in Sword and Shield after the Armor and Crown dlc would add an insane amount of bloat

I'd say it's perfectly feasible, especially since they'd be able to reuse the models for future projects for years to come, it's not even a new concept for Bandai, a lot of the models they use in Gundam games released even now have their origins in games they made over a decade ago

Not to mention they'd have a bunch of the work already done since they can probably just reuse all the models made for Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memories

Brother Entropy posted:

hell yeah, 30 different agumons -- someone out there, i guess

It's more like 10 to 12 if I remember correctly, but yeah there's been a lot of him

Burkion posted:

There's gotta be more Digimon than Pokemon right?

That would be a stupid roster in a great way

I'd have to double check but yeah I do believe Digimon still outnumber Pokemon by at least a couple hundred

PMush Perfect posted:

The key is obviously to abuse lots of Digimon being palette swaps, and just change some stats around and maybe the color of some particle effects. As for their evolution tracks... that's more complicated.

Wouldn't be that hard, most Digimon have at least one complete line, and it's really easy to come up with new lines, like I do it all the time for fun

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am shocked The Toy Agumon line isn't a real thing.

You'd think it'd be the most nonbrainer Digivolution line ever, but no

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

true, though you can still give him a nice toy themed line with what exists, also here's a little game I think would be fun for us;

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Burkion posted:

There's always ShadowToyAgumon and ClearAgumon?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think ToyAgumon works better as a stand-alone thing than part of a line of Greymon mimics. He’s got a lot of charm on his own and it feels like if you did it for three more stages it’d reduce it down to just being about mimickry instead of only partially so.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

I think ToyAgumon works better as a stand-alone thing than part of a line of Greymon mimics. He’s got a lot of charm on his own and it feels like if you did it for three more stages it’d reduce it down to just being about mimickry instead of only partially so.
The Agumon snowclone who needs more forms is DotAgumon. There's also DotShineGreymon, but nothing in between. It's bizarre.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m personally holding out for DeanOfStudentsGreymon as Professor Agumon’s Ultimate/Mega form.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

I’m personally holding out for DeanOfStudentsGreymon as Professor Agumon’s Ultimate/Mega form.

For Agumon Hakase I just have him evolve into the orange Data versions of Growlmon and MegaloGrowlmon and cap the line off with VictoryGreymon

Indeed having Agumon Hakase as the Child stage is the only part I made up for this line, the rest is already official(and since Growlmon Data already evolves from 5 other versions of Agumon it's not really a stretch to use him as a Child stage for the line)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

drrockso20 posted:

For Agumon Hakase I just have him evolve into the orange Data versions of Growlmon and MegaloGrowlmon and cap the line off with VictoryGreymon

Indeed having Agumon Hakase as the Child stage is the only part I made up for this line, the rest is already official(and since Growlmon Data already evolves from 5 other versions of Agumon it's not really a stretch to use him as a Child stage for the line)

I'm partial to FlaRizamon. Being a smaller Champion, you can easily imagine it just being a tired, stressed Agumon Hakase erupting into flames after one too many students cheated on their final.