Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

charms posted:

Sorry for lurking, I can't keep up with the D1 mind games. Mr. Steak gave us something concrete, lie or not, but everyone's shut up about it at this point.

What do you think about that interaction between Lumpen and Steak? Do either look more towny or scummy to you following that exchange?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

charms posted:

Sorry for lurking, I can't keep up with the D1 mind games. Mr. Steak gave us something concrete, lie or not, but everyone's shut up about it at this point.

:justpost:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

IllegallySober posted:

What do you think about that interaction between Lumpen and Steak? Do either look more towny or scummy to you following that exchange?

Truthfully I feel like this is textbook town Steak. I find Lumpen just jumping on him a little out of character but I know (per this game) that he hates Jokephase so it doesn't shock me that he's moving us along into D1 kicking and screaming.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Retro Futurist posted:

This post is making my nose twitch

What does your gut tell you

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

SalTheBard posted:

Truthfully I feel like this is textbook town Steak. I find Lumpen just jumping on him a little out of character but I know (per this game) that he hates Jokephase so it doesn't shock me that he's moving us along into D1 kicking and screaming.

That’s the third time today you’ve jumped in and tried to answer a question someone didn’t ask you.

##vote Sal

Charms, let’s try again.

IllegallySober posted:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

b-minus1 posted:

What does your gut tell you

That's what made his nose twitch.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

IllegallySober posted:

I think Lumpen is trying to throw people off until one of them panics. It's annoying but it gives us info. I'm suspicious that Steak is lying about the extent of his power, but depending on what he's covering up it could be for town reasons. If he actually could double stack votes, that allows a double hammer - better not to reveal that until we know we can get at least one scum.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

charms posted:

I think Lumpen is trying to throw people off until one of them panics. It's annoying but it gives us info. I'm suspicious that Steak is lying about the extent of his power, but depending on what he's covering up it could be for town reasons. If he actually could double stack votes, that allows a double hammer - better not to reveal that until we know we can get at least one scum.

I would agree with your assessment of Lumpen’s style. I’m not sure I read Steak the same as you do right now. Steak has claimed essentially their entire role minus their own country. That would be a bold play to open the day as scum.

I see this appears to be your first game in Votefinder. Are you a rereg, or are you new?

charms
Oct 14, 2012

IllegallySober posted:

I would agree with your assessment of Lumpen’s style. I’m not sure I read Steak the same as you do right now. Steak has claimed essentially their entire role minus their own country. That would be a bold play to open the day as scum.

I see this appears to be your first game in Votefinder. Are you a rereg, or are you new?

This is my first game of Mafia on SA, but I'm familiar with the game. I've played it online as a browser game with matchmaking where you knew the distribution of roles beforehand (forgot what it was called, it was a while ago).

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

IllegallySober posted:

That’s the third time today you’ve jumped in and tried to answer a question someone didn’t ask you.

##vote Sal

Charms, let’s try again.

I just wanted to be part of the conversation :(

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

charms posted:

lets clear this up now.

##vote charms
##extravote 1 RF
##extravote1 charms
##extravote2 RF
##extravote2 charms

we will soon see firsthand if my votes can stack. if my 2 extravotes resolve on charms, we know i can stack. once they resolve on RF, it'll be confirmed that they cannot stack.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

charms posted:

This is my first game of Mafia on SA, but I'm familiar with the game. I've played it online as a browser game with matchmaking where you knew the distribution of roles beforehand (forgot what it was called, it was a while ago).

Good to know. Welcome! :)

SalTheBard posted:

I just wanted to be part of the conversation :(

Yeah, but you’ve also been around long enough to know that letting people speak for themselves is a valuable part of this game.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Mr. Steak posted:

lets clear this up now.

##vote charms
##extravote 1 RF
##extravote1 charms
##extravote2 RF
##extravote2 charms

we will soon see firsthand if my votes can stack. if my 2 extravotes resolve on charms, we know i can stack. once they resolve on RF, it'll be confirmed that they cannot stack.

Lol, you need to stick around for a couple of days at least, just so Amnistar can continually rue giving you multivoting capability.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Retro Futurist (2): Lumpen, IllegallySober, IllegallySober, Mr. Steak
Lumpen (2): Mr. Steak, SalTheBard, Retro Futurist, Mr. Steak
Leith Maclaine (1): Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak
CapitalistPig (1): IllegallySober, IllegallySober, b-minus1
hambeet (1): Anonymous
charms (1): Mr. Steak
SalTheBard (1): Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, IllegallySober
Mr. Steak (0): Lumpen, Lumpen
2 penny bottle imp (0): Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak

Not Voting (10): 2 penny bottle imp, Anomalous Amalgam, CapitalistPig, charms, Eat The Rich, Hal Incandenza, hambeet, Leith Maclaine, Mr. Humalong, xiw

With 16 alive, it's 9 votes to execute. The current deadline is January 25th, 2020 at 7:03 a.m. EST -- that's in about 2 days, 10 hours.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

votefinder posted:

The current deadline is January 25th, 2020 at 7:03 a.m. EST -- that's in about 2 days, 10 hours.

Can we please not have a deadline at 3 minutes past the hour?

(And preferably a deadline that isn’t at 4 AM Pacific??)

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

IllegallySober posted:

I am a benevolent ruler.

Votecount for Day 1

Retro Futurist (2): Lumpen, IllegallySober, IllegallySober, Mr. Steak
charms (1): Mr. Steak

Not Voting (10): 2 penny bottle imp, Anomalous Amalgam, CapitalistPig, charms, Eat The Rich, Hal Incandenza, hambeet, Leith Maclaine, Mr. Humalong, xiw

With 16 alive, it's 9 votes to execute. The current deadline is January 25th, 2020 at 6 p.m. CST -- that's in about 2 days, 22 hours.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

That power really does suck. My condolences.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Amnistar posted:

I am a benevolent ruler.

:worship:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

IllegallySober posted:

Too disruptive for your scum chat?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

No seriously though that is 11pm for me so perfect timing.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

hambeet posted:

Too disruptive for your scum chat?

Yeah, it really is.

(Realtalk: if I had a scumchat, I would not be posting nearly as much as I am in-thread. Nor would I have pointed that time discrepancy out.)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Actually, I take that back. I’m both pedantic enough and OCD enough that I would have pointed out the time discrepancy either way. But there’s no way I would have posted this much if I also had a scumchat.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Plus, the more I point things out for Amni to reply to, the better the odds that we cut this game in half D1 which probably isn’t optimal town strategy but would be absolutely hilarious.

Amnistar posted:

Yea sure. If you have less posts than me in a given day, you dead.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

xiw and aa less than votefinder.

Shameful.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

hambeet posted:

xiw and aa less than votefinder.

Shameful.

Xiw at least said they would check in later, I think. AA didn’t provide an excuse. Pretty scummy...!

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

IllegallySober posted:

Plus, the more I point things out for Amni to reply to, the better the odds that we cut this game in half D1 which probably isn’t optimal town strategy but would be absolutely hilarious.

Holy shot

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

IllegallySober posted:

for clarity, are you saying you currently feel steak's claim and proof of his power are more likely town than scum gambit?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

hambeet posted:

for clarity, are you saying you currently feel steak's claim and proof of his power are more likely town than scum gambit?

That’s my read on it at this juncture, yes.

Given the willingness to demonstrate, my read is that there’s less scum motivation to divulge that info D1 than there is town motivation to. I’m having trouble seeing where giving up that info that readily as scum helps his wincon- but I guess we’ll see how it develops.

Do you feel differently?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hmm I think steak played it the only way you could play it, as either town or scum.

If you use that power without announcing it you'd rightly be jumped on, and that's independent of alignment. Scum who rolled that power would know it, town would too. So the best play is to come out with it for self preservation.

So I'm null on it atm, and just have to see how he uses it, cases, posts to make up my mind.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Or i could just flip a coin.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

hambeet posted:

Hmm I think steak played it the only way you could play it, as either town or scum.

If you use that power without announcing it you'd rightly be jumped on, and that's independent of alignment. Scum who rolled that power would know it, town would too. So the best play is to come out with it for self preservation.

So I'm null on it atm, and just have to see how he uses it, cases, posts to make up my mind.

I guess it’s true that you have no reason to hide it at least on its base power?

If it were to upgrade to a straight tr-tr-triple vote, then you could wait and expose it to quickhammer someone, but that gives away the game pretty quick if you’re scum.

And with that, I’m out for a bit- it’s bowling league night.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
Man it's just great to be playing mafia again. I actually first stopped lurking SA and bought an account to join a particular game 12 years ago. Not counting this month, havent played a game here in probably 10 years though. Makin me all nostalgic and poo poo.

BRB gonna go rip some Destiny's Child off Napster.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

hambeet posted:

Okay that's fair. It really is a public power. Only way to hide would be unvoting between vote changes, but that would get awkward after a bit.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

2 penny bottle imp posted:

Man it's just great to be playing mafia again. I actually first stopped lurking SA and bought an account to join a particular game 12 years ago. Not counting this month, havent played a game here in probably 10 years though. Makin me all nostalgic and poo poo.

BRB gonna go rip some Destiny's Child off Napster.

I think your timeline deviated from ours pretty heavily at some point.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IllegallySober posted:

I guess it’s true that you have no reason to hide it at least on its base power?

If it were to upgrade to a straight tr-tr-triple vote, then you could wait and expose it to quickhammer someone, but that gives away the game pretty quick if you’re scum.

thats why i also claimed my upgrade target. there's no possibility of me upgrading w/o you knowing it. i certainly wouldnt have gone so above and beyond for full clarity if i was scum.

but that said, displaying my power isnt to prove im town. amni said roles and alignment were shuffled separately, so scum could easily have had this exact power. i just want this stuff out in the open

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
##unvote charms
##unvote RF

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

hambeet posted:

Or i could just flip a coin.

Ah, the binus approach.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Retro Futurist (1): Lumpen, IllegallySober, IllegallySober
charms (0): Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak

With 16 alive, it's 9 votes to execute. The current deadline is January 25th, 2020 at 6 p.m. CST -- that's in about 2 days, 20 hours.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Votefinder padding its post count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

IllegallySober posted:

Yeah, as steak said though we now know his upgrade target