Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I've never actually seen the Lynch Dune. Is it streaming anywhere?

Sadly you just missed Amazon Prime streaming it. They pulled it very recently and now only have the digital version for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Last time I watched it I noticed that the Atreidies pug survives the attack on Arrakeen since he makes an appearance in the last scene and thought that was awesome. But I just came across this video which compiles all the pug appearances in the movie and I can't believe I never noticed the pug in the scene where Gurney is carrying him. This makes my theory that the pug was rescued by Yueh and stowed with the ducal ring and the stillsuits canon.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

God that movie has so much personality, even though I recognize it's kind of a poo poo adaptation, it really should not have as bad a reputation as it does, it's so loving entertaining.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It looks rad as hell and has great atmosphere, but basically every change from the book made it worse, and I really didn't care for how gratuitously disgusting it was in places.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I kinda enjoy how comically over the top evil it makes the harkonnens, rabban's little sippy cup that crushes small animals so he can drink their blood is one of the most ridiculous props ever.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I could’ve done without the heart plugs, the cat milking machine, and the Baron spitting on Jessica’s face :wtc:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Roman Reigns posted:

I could’ve done without the heart plugs, the cat milking machine, and the Baron spitting on Jessica’s face :wtc:

You mean most impactful formative elements of my childhood?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The draining of the Baron’s face pustules was mine.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Neo Rasa posted:

The best part is how as they leave they all sort of turn around in unison as if they're all going to bow or otherwise acknowledge the emperor in some way but then they just turn around and continue to leave. It's such a great half-assed like, way to acknowledge the emperor while insulting him at the same time.

I dunno, it makes sense, CHOAM are the ones that truly hold the power in the universe since their Navigators are the only ones that can fold space. They are pretty curt to the emperor every time they see him and it makes sense, he has one job, make sure the spice keeps flowing

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Aces High posted:

I dunno, it makes sense, CHOAM are the ones that truly hold the power in the universe since their Navigators are the only ones that can fold space. They are pretty curt to the emperor every time they see him and it makes sense, he has one job, make sure the spice keeps flowing

Actually the Spacing Guild that controls the Navigators is separate from CHOAM.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In a post-Epstein world, the Baron makes sense to me.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

sean10mm posted:

Actually the Spacing Guild that controls the Navigators is separate from CHOAM.

looks like I need to brush up on the lore again, I don't mind reading a favourite book another time

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Roman Reigns posted:

I will never not love that they just taped a rat to a cat

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

davidspackage posted:

I will never not love that they just taped a rat to a cat

This is one of my favorite scenes of the movie.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I desperately want the Hawat action figure that came with the cat milking machine as an accessory. What a wonderfully disturbing toy.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Is Lynchs Dune a bad movie or just a bad adaptation?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ive always wondered - in the Dune 2 PC game, was any of that stuff from the books? Like does House Ordos exist?

It's been my only real source of stuff. Or was it all just made up crap?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Not sure about Dune 2 but I know the sequel Emperor Battle for Dune had little things from the books like the CHOAM company but overall it’s made up or non canon or whathaveyou. The games were based on the Lynch movie more than anything else. Although Emperor says the games take place thousands of years before the actual Dune story begins, it’s basically fan fiction at this point.

House Ordos is first mentioned I think in the Dune Encyclopedia, but even that’s considered non canon. Everything else about them is made up by the game developers.

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 22, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

sponges posted:

Its both a bad movie and a bad adaptation.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

^^^ efb :argh:

sponges posted:

Kind of both? It's realistically 4-6 hours of story stuffed into just over 2 hours in the theatrical cut. Going in blind almost everybody seems to immediately go :wtc: , especially because it still includes digressions that aren't vital to the plot (both from the book and made up by Lynch.)

I don't want to come across as too negative about it though, it's full of weird poo poo that's just kind of fun to see. But it's not uh "good" in the normal sense.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

It's probably the least good David Lynch movie, but that still means it's incredibly watchable and weird anyway, so it's still worth a couple of hours of your time.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I only saw the Lynch movie once when I was about 9, and everything I remember about it feels like something from a fever dream.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lord Hydronium posted:

I only saw the Lynch movie once when I was about 9, and everything I remember about it feels like something from a fever dream.

Same, honestly. It was late at night on a random tv channel, I was probably about 10-11, and it was just so weird I kept watching

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

lynch's dune is unquestionably a disaster but its also insanely close to being a masterpiece.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

lynch's dune is unquestionably a disaster but its also insanely close to being a masterpiece.

The Count Fenring of movies

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Hmmmmmm.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

Harsh, but fair.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Couldn't have said it better.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Roman Reigns posted:

House Ordos is first mentioned I think in the Dune Encyclopedia, but even that’s considered non canon. Everything else about them is made up by the game developers.

Dune Encyclopedia was written in correspondence with Frank Hebert. The only reason it's not canon is Brian Hebert prevailed on its author to pronounce it not canon after Frank's death. So he could desecrate his father's corpse more efficiently.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Geez that blows :(

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's probably my favourite scene in the books and I want it so bad.

While I'm doing PYF Little Moments in Dune, I really want the scenes of Jamis' wife and kids being weirdly okay with his death. Yeah, it sucks, dude shouldn't have picked a fight, why would they blame Paul? Such a great nugget of Fremen psychology.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Lynch’s Dune is very flawed but also pretty great. Plot wise there’s a lot of awkward exposition and overexplaining, but the atmosphere and the sense of power Lynch creates is something that had never really been in a sci fi movie before. Visually and aurally it’s a work of art. The performances are great too- the Baron isn’t like the subtle schemer of the book but he’s a perfect symbol of imperial decadence.

It’s a shame we’ll never fully see what Lynch intended (the TV cut has more footage but he wasn’t involved in the editing and MAN it shows). I understand why Lynch has kinda disowned it- it was the first time he really lost control of a project (and last unless you count all the drama with s2 of Twin Peaks.) Still I love it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Just want to mention since people are talking about the games, the FMV in Emperor: Battle of Dune fuckin' rule (that game has a great soundtrack too). Michael Dorn as an Atreides Duke? :hellyeah:

They're not reconcilable with the book at all (and House Ordos is basically all new stuff) but use a lot of stuff from the books which is pretty cool. I loved that in Dune 2 it was possible to get an extra ending where you unite the houses and depose of the Emperor/House Corrino completely instead of just proving yourself of being worthy of staying in charge of Dune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnvlDMbLPnY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg-4O-4llNk

John Rhys-Davies mentat hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT5snfvxDdc

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Lynch’s Dune is very flawed but also pretty great. Plot wise there’s a lot of awkward exposition and overexplaining, but the atmosphere and the sense of power Lynch creates is something that had never really been in a sci fi movie before. Visually and aurally it’s a work of art.

It kills me to see that "Dune Without Words" clip I posted earlier because even without any dialogue, like, you know exactly what's going on just from the sound design, the way everything's shot, the vastness of that palace ship, the way the Emperor is used to being in charge and is a little shaken by these Guild folks rolling in to talk poo poo. If that movie had a better script it'd be incredible. I'd still say it's an absolute must watch though just for the look and sound.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'd still say it's an absolute must watch though just for the look and sound.

I agree completely. It stands on its own as a gorgeous and stunning production. While it's uneven in its exposition, it's not confusing. The story is straightforward. And even with its issues as an adaptation, it's a wonderful audiovisual companion to the novel.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

davidspackage posted:

The whispered inner monologues are such a blunt method of adapting a book that lets you read any character's thoughts, but it gives the movie a unique quality. Maybe Villeneuve should have the characters speak their thoughts directly in the camera, like panto performers.
It worked in House of Cards (the British original; haven't seen the remake).

Reading this thread is not only bringing back memories of reading the novel and watching Lynch's adaptation, but also National Lampoon's Doon, where a galactic conflict is fought over control of the mind-altering substance, beer. Also ribbed were the internal monologues, conversations where everyone is hiding their true intent, "Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh", Drunken Omaha, Safire Halfwit and - a joke I didn't get until years later - NOAMCHOMSKY.

Edit: I just this second realised who "Safire" is mocking.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 23, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Payndz posted:

It worked in House of Cards (the British original; haven't seen the remake).
It works in the remake too, at least the first few seasons. It's a rare enough approach that I found it refreshing really.

Pretty pumped about this movie. I liked Lynch's version well enough for how fascinating it was but couldn't get into the series too much. Villeneuve would've been my top pick for a Fine movie based on his recent track record so I think this is gonna own.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Are any of the fan edits of Lynch Dune that are on youtube actually good? I want to watch the movie with my wife, who hasn't seen it before, and I'm thinking of watching the fan edit (this one in particular https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94d77kdmOvU) with her instead of the theatrical version.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Redux cut is quite good and gives the second half of the film a coherence the theatrical cut lacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah the theatrical version kind of rockets through stuff to the end, and the Alan Smithee version is somehow both significantly longer without actually filling in the gaps there.